Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
So, How do I get a set of the 9mm brass to 40 Cal. bullet dies?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
40 cals are pretty popular right now. We sold out CH tool and die of all their stock. They are currently in process of making anouther lot of the 40 cal blank dies for me. Should be ready by end of year. Keep in touch. I'll also post when they are in stock. Any other caliber is avialble.

Bt the way teh 40 cal from 9mm is by far the easiest bullet to make and cheapest too IMO.

Thanks

BT
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Where can the .45 dies be purchased?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I can hook you up with all your need. Send me a PM or an email. [email protected]  

I set up the dies to make the bullets you see posted here.

thanks

BT
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By BT_Sniper:

40 cals are pretty popular right now. We sold out CH tool and die of all their stock. They are currently in process of making anouther lot of the 40 cal blank dies for me. Should be ready by end of year. Keep in touch. I'll also post when they are in stock. Any other caliber is avialble.

Bt the way teh 40 cal from 9mm is by far the easiest bullet to make and cheapest too IMO.

Thanks

BT

Have you received any feedback on how well the .40 cal bullets hold up at 10mm velocities?

If not, I would be happy to test them.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you (or anyone) tested how the .45ACP rounds feed in a 1911 style pistol?  Some of them are a bit picky when it comes to hollowpoints.

What kind of adjustments can be made with the forming dies in regards to hollowpoint depth and diameter?

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have heard of 1" gorups at 50 yrds with a 10mm with these bullets. Not me but a shooter that posted on CB. They really start to perform at 850 FPS and above. I have a high point carbine I may be able to get some extra FPS out of the 40 S&W to match the 10mm but have not cronied it yet.

Will be getting results soon as far as the 45 goes. Anything is possible as far as size of HP and even size of metplat can be adjusted slightly.

BT
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Will be getting results soon as far as the 45 goes. Anything is possible as far as size of HP and even size of metplat can be adjusted slightly.

BT

BT_Sniper,

Thanks for the reply.  I am eagerly awaiting these results.  I'm also hoarding .40 S&W brass in expectation even though I don't have a .40 S&W pistol.

David
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the kind of inovation that makes America great!
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wareagle30:
Originally Posted By Claybrook:
Not sure what the point is, but that's cool as hell.

I'd think they'd be quite a bit cheaper to reload than buying JHP bullets.

May be - but when I count my time and the extra tools, electricity, exposure to lead, I'l just but JHP bulets in lots of 500-1000 and call it even.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
BT-Sniper

Do you have any recommendations on using this process to form 9mm bullets?  What parent brass case works best?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:06:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jailer] [#12]
Got my dies yesterday and wanted to post up my results. Only took a few tries to get the dies adjusted correctly and they came out perfect. Ended up trimming the brass to .695 to get the hollow point I was looking for. This one weighs 210 grains with a 145 core. It was 2 am when I got done with this so I haven't loaded any yet and shot them so I don't have any results there. Based on results that others have had I'm sure they will shoot great.

BT Sniper is a class act and produces a nice product.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jailer:
This one weighs 110 grains with a 145 core.

I'm guessing this is a typo?

Is this the .45 ACP kit from BT Sniper? Can you give us a micrometer measurement of the newly produce bullet?

jonblack

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:
BT-Sniper

Do you have any recommendations on using this process to form 9mm bullets?  What parent brass case works best?

From Page 2 of this thread:

Originally Posted By jonblack:
Originally Posted By 96Ag:
Can he make a die to make a .32 into a 9mm?

I think they are making 9 from .380, which, in my opinion, is not cost effective.

jonblack

Take care
jonblack
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
WOW
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#16]
to bad someone can't come up with a way to turn a glock into something cool

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]
This one weighs 110 grains with a 145 core.

I'm guessing this is a typo?

Is this the .45 ACP kit from BT Sniper? Can you give us a micrometer measurement of the newly produce bullet?

jonblack

Opps! It's a typo but it's fixed now. It is 210 grains.

Yes this is the 45 kit from BT Sniper. I had him polish them out to .452 so I could make boolits for my 450 Bushmaster and 454 Casull. I didn't mic them but my calipers show that they come out of the die right at .452. I ran one through my Lee .451 sizing die and it came out of that right at .451. Again I didn't mic it, I used my calipers to measure it. With this one set of dies I can make jacketed boolits for my 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casull,  Glock and Kimber.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:
Can you imagine the chaos these would cause if used in a crime?  CSI would go into a full tailspin with these bullets.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I can see the lab guy when he picks that out of a body.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Well simple is a relitive term isn't it. I have found that anything is possible in the hobby and the challenge is what makes it rewarding for me. Granted  these bullets are no more difficult to make then reloading a case but can take a little time but thats what hobbies are for.

So here is a 250 grain 45 cal. from 40 S&W brass for you.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45andcams013.jpg
175 grain core next to 40 S&W thencore seated and point formed. I was experimenting with XL hollow point. Can you imagine the expansion!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s002.jpg
Here is some 225 grain 45 cal bullets made from trimed 40 S&W next to 250 grain from untrimed case.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45xtps004.jpg
Here a 45 250 grain XTP look-a-like

http://s636.photobucket.com/home/BTSniper/index
Here is a link to my photo bucket album pics. Shows all my latest projects.

Good shooting

BT

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Another update, albeit a minor one.

Got some test rounds loaded up. The boolits are exactly .020 longer than the Hornady 230 grain HAP bullets I have on hand. So I loaded them to 1.250 and upped the powder charge slighty (due to a lighter boolit) from Hornady's reccomended charges for a 230 grain. Figured with a lighter bullet and the same case volume as the 230 grain that would be a good starting point. I'm still quite a bit below the 200 grain load data but that bullet is a bit shorter than the 230.

So of course pics of my progress. As you can see, I'm in no photographer by any stretch but I do the best I can with what I have.

Loaded boolits.

And a comparison pic. From left to right:

Hornady HAP 230 grain 1.230 OAL
BT Sniper HP 210 grain 1.250 OAL
Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ 1.268 OAL
Hornady HAP 230 grain
BT Sniper 210 grain HP
Hornady 200 grain XTP

Suppose to rain for the next few days so hopefully I'll have some range results by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Good pics and thanks for the report. Hopefully you are working your load up from the bottom since your new bullet is lighter, longer, and will have a different "lubricity" than the Hornady bullet you are comparing it to. I understand that a lighter bullet needs more powder but there other variables. I'm not doubting you already know all that stuff. I just wanted to point it out for safety's sake.

jonblack
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Good pics and thanks for the report. Hopefully you are working your load up from the bottom since your new bullet is lighter, longer, and will have a different "lubricity" than the Hornady bullet you are comparing it to. I understand that a lighter bullet needs more powder but there other variables. I'm not doubting you already know all that stuff. I just wanted to point it out for safety's sake.

jonblack

Absolutely. They are longer and that's why I seated them to a longer OAL. Kept the same case capacity as the 230 grain bullet and only increased the powder slightly. If there are any signs of pressure I'll stop and pull the bullets and start over. Got em all marked with a sharpie to keep track.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#24]
bump! awesome stuff
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally got a chance to get out and shoot today. A buddy of mine just picked up a chrono this past weekend and brought it with him to the range. Had fun playing with it but decided to forgo the chrono and just check accuracy with the test loads.

Well I definitely loaded them light. First batch at 4.0 grains of titegroup the brass  barely popped out of the chamber. Actually had one FTE on the third shot and accuracy was all over the place with those. Actually had one casing dance down the slide after popped out. They all landed literally right next to the gun.

I've attached a couple scans because what's an update thread without pictures? Best grouping was with 4.8 grains of titegroup seated at 1.250. As you can see I pulled one shot and called it as soon as I did. I believe the actual word I used to call it starts with F and ends in K. These boolits seem to be real sensitive to powder charge with titegroup as the rest were literally all over the place. I think I'm going to try some different powders to see how they perform. I love titegroup but some more experimentation is definitely in order.

First one is the 4.8 load and the second is my Hornady HAP loaded with 4.0 gains of titegroup at 1.230 OAL  that I have been using for IDPA. I did chrono the HAP and they run right about 600 FPS and recoil is about like a 9mm.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I did chrono the HAP and they run right about 600 FPS and recoil is about like a 9mm.

600 F/S? I can get that with a slingshot!

Good to see that you had no FTF with that wide hollow point, get that home made bullet up to > 1000 F/S and it may make a great hunting round with deep penetration.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
bump
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks cool. Just not sure where the big savings would be. I quess if you could get free 9mm brass and didn't want to reload them, you could come out ahead. 9mm brass sells for about .05 cent each. That would not make a very cheap jacket.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By redmudd:
Looks cool. Just not sure where the big savings would be. I quess if you could get free 9mm brass and didn't want to reload them, you could come out ahead. 9mm brass sells for about .05 cent each. That would not make a very cheap jacket.

I remember being ridiculed for picking up 9mm brass. "Why would anyone do that?" others asked. I was made to feel like I was picking up .22LR cases. I picked them up anyway. If you look on Gunbroker you can find 9mm brass for considerably less than $0.05 each. However, I just pick them up at the range for free.

jonblack
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm wondering how well 223 brass salvaged from split necks would work. You know like after you reach the service life of 223 brass? Would the heavier jacket let you use even less lead and thus even less cost?
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By redmudd:

I get the .40 brass for free from the range at work. We go through around 18K annually. The wheel weight luckily so far have been free as well. That's means bullets for free other than the cost of the dies. I can shoot .45 for $.04/round. Hornady HAP bullets are $.14 each if you buy in bulk.

Stillhaven't had a chance to get to the range again. I've got some loaded up with some 231, just waiting until I get a chance to shoot them. Hopefully soon. I'll post back with the results when I do.

@ Rich_V that's the exact same thing m y buddy said when the speed came up on the screen.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Would this process also work with aluminum cases?

I wonder how an aluminum jacket would perform?

David
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I finally got back out to shoot some more. Loaded these up with 231 to 1.230 OAL. Best group was with 5.4 grains. Of course I just can't seem to shoot a group without throwing one, but other than that it shot a 1 1/4 inch group at 15 yards through my 21. I also loaded some to 5.6 grains but I fell apart and threw 2 ruining that group. The 3 that did group were just inside an inch. Seems the hotter the load the tighter they grouped. Going to have to experiment a bit more and see how they do. So far I'm real happy with the 231.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:

This is SOOOO tagged.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Seems the intrest continues. The cost savings and time questions seems to continue to come up. If you can't find 9mm or 40 S&W free I know it can be had for around $50 shipped for around 2k or more easily under the 5 cents a piece mentioned. Glad to see fellow shooters posting info. As for time it really depends on which calliber bullet you make. I know a customer making 40 S&W from 9mm at speeds of up to 20 per minute no joke. He uses them for competion shoots and goes threw thousands. On the other side it can be an art and some very impressive bullets can be made to look nearly identical to comercial top quality offerings. This is where the time is outdone by the "cool" factor.

I got a chance to go out and shoot some 308s made from FN 5.7x28 brass. Weight was 180 grains and shot them from a savage 112VBSS 300WM. Got them up to 3190 FPS but accuracy needs some work yet. Got around 2.5" groups @ 100 yrds. My other 300WM really likes these and is able to shoot .75" @ 100yrds. I know 3190 is a bit much and I agree. Think I may have better results at less FPS. Pretty sure there was a thread for the 308s from brass. I'll have to find it.

I hope to be a bit more active over here in future.

Till then good shooting.

BT
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Firearm deer season opens tomorrow morning. Ready to go and hopefully will have some kill results with the swaged 45 bullets to post.

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]
does anyone worry about the brass bullets causing excess wear on the barrel rifling?

pure copper has a rockwell B hardness of 40-50

cartridge brass has a B scale hardness of 77

just wondering...
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By uzisandfloozies:
does anyone worry about the brass bullets causing excess wear on the barrel rifling?

pure copper has a rockwell B hardness of 40-50

cartridge brass has a B scale hardness of 77

just wondering...

Why, because it has more Zinc content? Seems like Remington would have been sued long ago for "excess wear on the barrel rifling" if this was the case.

You quoted "pure copper" as having a lower hardness level. You do realize that the guilding metal jackets (copper jackets) are a copper zinc alloy (technically brass) and not pure copper right? Cartridge brass just has a higher Zinc content.

I'm sure the properties are a bit different but not enough to warrant concern. Besides, swaging bullets from spent brass may be new to some (myself included) but it's been around for a long time. If it were an issue that warranted concern I'm sure it would have been raised long ago.

Not trying to be a dick, just sayin.
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Great looking bullet.    Pardon my ignorance, but what are the advantages of using a jacketed bullet like this over just plain lead?  I would think you would avoid the issue of leading.  Getting your lead alloy right and the right lube should prevent this just fine.  It seems an aweful lot of work just to avoid this.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 12:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#41]

Great looking bullet.    Pardon my ignorance, but what are the advantages of using a jacketed bullet like this over just plain lead?  I would think you would avoid the issue of leading.  Getting your lead alloy right and the right lube should prevent this just fine.  It seems an aweful lot of work just to avoid this.  Any thoughts?

Jacketed hollow points have better weight retention and controlled expansion than solid soft lead bullets.

Soft lead basically turns into a ball or fragments, good hollowpoints turn into a twisted mess of claws and sharp edges that still has some weight behind it

Hardcast are a different story, they don't really expand at all unless they hit something solid...

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 1:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usmc0331tamu00] [#42]

...oops
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#43]

What RDTCU said. Plus I can run em in my Glock without worrying about leading the barrel and having to clean it ever time I shoot.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 2:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pogo] [#44]
Well simple is a relitive term isn't it. I have found that anything is possible in the hobby and the challenge is what makes it rewarding for me. Granted  these bullets are no more difficult to make then reloading a case but can take a little time but thats what hobbies are for.

So here is a 250 grain 45 cal. from 40 S&W brass for you.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45andcams013.jpg
175 grain core next to 40 S&W thencore seated and point formed. I was experimenting with XL hollow point. Can you imagine the expansion!

~snippage~

Good shooting

BT

The 40 S&W case is .425 at the base, while that 45 cal bullet is .452 diameter.  This bullet appears full diameter at the base, and I recall you stating other bullets were several thou short at the case rim.  Are you using a bump die or anything to take the 40 S&W case to full diameter at the base before core seating, or simply using the single C&H 101 die to do this?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a 2 step process. Seat the core with the seating die and then run it through the point forming die. Seating the core usually brings the rim out to final diameter if you have done a full anneal on the case and have your die set up correctly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Once the annealed brass has been swaged it will "grow" to completely fill the chamber of the swaging die.

jonblack
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#47]
no one answered whether or not you can use alum 9mm cases. i was wondering this too. i just toss the blazer xheap stuff after shooting it, but if i can use for a jacket i might try it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By leonpiper69:

no one answered whether or not you can use alum 9mm cases. i was wondering this too. i just toss the blazer xheap stuff after shooting it, but if i can use for a jacket i might try it.

I would not try to use aluminum cases. Aluminum Oxide (a/k/a aluminum rust) forms on the outside of aluminum cases, cans, etc... when aluminum is in contact with air. Aluminum Oxide is an extremely hard abrasive. I would avoid shooting it down barrels.

Toss your blazer brass in the recycling bucket with the soda cans. One day they will come back to life as the body of a Toyota Prius.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mcornell:

Originally Posted By leonpiper69:

I would not try to use aluminum cases. Aluminum Oxide (a/k/a aluminum rust) forms on the outside of aluminum cases, cans, etc... when aluminum is in contact with air. Aluminum Oxide is an extremely hard abrasive. I would avoid shooting it down barrels.

Toss your blazer brass in the recycling bucket with the soda cans. One day they will come back to life as the body of a Toyota Prius.

To 2nd what he said.  Aluminum Oxide is what grinding wheels are made of.  Even if the aluminum wouldn't oxidize and wear out your barrel, it isn't as lubricious as brass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ontheback:
Would they swage out far enough for .45 bullets?

No, but BT Sniper just made a set to make .45 bullets from .40 S&W cases.

jonblack

WIN. This would give me something to do with all that usless .40SW brass that I find on the range.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top