Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2024 2:39:32 AM EDT
I took my tac 50 out today for the first time using a 5-25×56 34mm scope mounted. I was using EGW medium height rings. Everything was torqued to spec and loc tighted. 8 rounds later the rings failed and the scope moved rearward.

Can anyone recommend a ring or mount that will hold up to this extreme recoil. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Two options I had considered were doubling up on my current scope rings, or the Badger Ord condition one max 1.3 inch tall.

This rifle has a base with 30 moa built in. Because of that I am looking for 0 moa and about 1.20 to 1.30 of height. There's not a lot of options out there for those specs. Even Spuhr mounts did not have anything listed for those requirements.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm just wondering if re-torquing after the first few rounds might help?  certainly before the 7th round?  wondering if after the first couple of shots, things sort of settle in, could use a re-torque.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve used Nightforce Unimounts on my .50s for years and have been very satisfied.
Their rings also work well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the replies. The rings I am using are 7075 aluminum which might be a problem. I would imagine that steel would be better. I read on another forum that it was recommended to use thin double sided tape on the bottom portion of the ring. I have mounted a lot of scopes, the 50 is a whole different animal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I think maybe blue loctite, very sparingly, might be better than double-sided tape.  on just the bottom.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By x248716x:
I think maybe blue loctite, very sparingly, might be better than double-sided tape.  on just the bottom.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Tessa tape.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of the dedicated 50 rings have a wider clamping area. Barrett and Badger make 34mm rings. I see Badger has the SASR rings which use a wide one in back and skinny up front which I've never seen. I'd love to know why they chose that configuration. Maybe one of our resident geniuses can comment on the material but I wouldn't think one would necessarily hold more. I've had a couple Barrett's with their rings and never had an issue. I've been looking at some of the SPUHR mounts because they look to be built like a brick shit house but they are spendy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Spuhr only way to go
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rubicon20032003:
Spuhr only way to go
View Quote

It appears that the Spuhr sp4001 is no longer made. They now use a mount that has 3 screws in the front and 2 in the back. I did see that I can buy spuhr rings with a full 3 screws instead of the mount.

Another recommendation was the American Rifle Company m brace.... It's a bit more affordable, any opinions on this?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
get a spuhr mount they are spendy but quality mounts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a member here offer some nightforce extreme duty rings for a fair price. I contacted NF and directly asked them if they believed these specific rings would hold up to the recoil of a bolt action .50. I was told that yes they were designed for the heaviest recoiling rifles. I am considering although the spuhr are right there too, although at 3x the cost...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I had a member here offer some nightforce extreme duty rings for a fair price. I contacted NF and directly asked them if they believed these specific rings would hold up to the recoil of a bolt action .50. I was told that yes they were designed for the heaviest recoiling rifles. I am considering although the spuhr are right there too, although at 3x the cost...
View Quote

If you got a 50 ring price shouldn’t matter really.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Why is that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Why is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Why is that?

.Cause if you own a tac50 whats a few more hundred for rings.I have a m107 and Ax50 with S&Bs.Im that deep already.Like i said whats a few hundred for spuhr mounts
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]

.Cause if you own a tac50 whats a few more hundred for rings.I have a m107 and Ax50 with S&Bs.Im that deep already.Like i said whats a few hundred for spuhr mounts
View Quote

Not everyone has that kind of money and save up for something like a 50 or they just don't want to spend what they don't have to. Same reason Barrett did 99 combos with Bushnell Elites or so many people ran Super Snipers on their various 50's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I don't entirely disagree with your point here, sort of the if you can afford a dodge viper you can afford to run premium.

The big issue I am having with the idea of the spuhr product is that there are many well documented cases of the rings or the clamp failing. Snipers hide has a 6 page thread on this. I don't want to spend over 400 on something that may or may not work. On the hide, a lot of them are pushing the arc ring over the spuhr now. There's not much detail on what sort of rifle calibers are being used with the documented failures so I can't speak on that.

I did contact arc and they are recommending I look into using rosin on any ring I choose to go with. I was not familiar with rosin in the context of scope mounts before so that seemed like a good idea.

I simply have never had a scope slip before and I have mounted many, although in much smaller calibers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Long time ago you used to see guys running 3 rings. Rings are one of those things where there are multiple schools of thought and even high level guys disagree on the best way.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top