Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 2:49:33 PM EDT
Hello,

I just purchased an HK SP5 and want to add a DEDICATED K style suppressor on it.  Im torn between these two cans.  I have other 9mm  cans and a Sandman S for my 5.56/7.62 needs.  So what say the hive, Omega 9K or Wolfman in the short configuration on the SP5? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same decision for my MP5 clone.
Had placed an order for a Wolfman.
Unfortunately, it has been on backorder for a couple months.  The delay was compounded by the company moving and changing the actual manufacturing to be done by a different subcontractor.
I decided to wait on picking one up until all the above issues settle down.

The Omega 9K is a great little can with a lot of satisfied owners; but I think I'm going to wait on a Wolfman...
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in the same boat and couldn’t find a Wolfman in stock so I bought the Omega.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go wolfman personally, but i like to run the long on my mp5k

You could also consider the Omega 36M, supposed to be quieter than the Omega9k in short
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Omega is in jail for another month (fingers crossed). I did some pretty thorough research before deciding to go with the Omega. Unfortunately, it's been so long in ATF jail I don't recall anymore.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Wolfman is the better suppressor. But aesthetically? Omega 9k. It's just perfect looking, mounted via 3-lug of course. That's what I got with about a month left until the ATF gives me blessing of her majesty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the Wolfman is the better suppressor. But aesthetically? Omega 9k. It's just perfect looking, mounted via 3-lug of course. That's what I got with about a month left until the ATF gives me blessing of her majesty.
View Quote
Agreed. Though I will say at least under muffs the O9K sounds really good. What an absolute joy the SP5 is to shoot.

I'd like to see/hear one of the short Rex cans on one as well.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a k-can why pay for the extra modularity of the Wolfman if you know you won’t use it? Depending on your other 9mm suppressors you may already have parts that fit the Omega 9k.  Food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if the new YHM R9 will be out around the time Wolfmen finally arrive at dealers.

I'm usually one to advocate for buying what's available and getting the wait started when you're choosing between something on the shelf and something that you don't know when it'll arrive. Waiting for things to arrive, and not having any control over that, when you've got to add a year-long wait for the stamp to that equation, just makes the choice to wait a hard one.

It'll be interesting later this year when we've got to choose from: Omega 9K, Wolfman, YHM's R9, or the Rex Silentium MG7K 9mm can (seems like there might be another I'm forgetting).
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Cgs mod 9 sk
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I own an Omega 9k and like it a lot, plus I got a great deal on it.

But if I had the choice today for a 9mm PCC can and there wasn't a smokin' O9k deal I'd get the Wolfman.

That said I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Omega 9k.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My Omega9k is my favorite pistol can that I own. Having said that, if I were to get a 9mm can today I would get the wolfman.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with someone above, if you are going to keep it short go with the Omega 9k. But, I plan on waiting for the YHM later this year because of the price.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for the responses.   Question for the Omega owners.  Ive read that the 9K suffers from serious blowback.  Have you guys experienced this?  What about POI shift?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thank you for the responses.   Question for the Omega owners.  Ive read that the 9K suffers from serious blowback.  Have you guys experienced this?  What about POI shift?
View Quote
I have not noticed either, but the only other 9mm can I have is the Octane.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven’t noticed any serious blowback and I only shoot suppressed so I’m not sure on POI shift.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't noticed either, I think blowback might be host dependent.  But my SDN6 is a lot more gassy with 300 subs than the 9k.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the 45k from the BOGO and like it on a pistol. It’s not the quietest silencer I’ve shot but the trade off in size is worth it. No issue with blowback.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the 45k from the BOGO and like it on a pistol. It’s not the quietest silencer I’ve shot but the trade off in size is worth it. No issue with blowback.
View Quote
Octane45K or Omega45K?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Octane45K or Omega45K?
View Quote
Octane. I always get them mixed up and had to go look.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both an Omega 9k and Wolfman but still have a couple of months wait on the Wolfman.

If you are not going to use it full size go with Omega 9k but being able to go stupid quiet while also being quieter than the O9k in its short config is pretty cool.
I notice no blowback or poi change with the Omega but it does get hot quicker and stay hot longer than my  Revolution 9.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I want to keep it short.  I have other, full size cans if I want things quieter.  Although being quiet is nice, Im more concerned with weight, length, and maneuverability while still taking the edge off.  Thinking about replacing or accompanying my G19 as my bedside firearm.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#22]
If you really care about weight, YHM N20 comes out in Q3 of this year.  It is basically an all titanium Wolfman that supports up to .308!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I want to keep it short.  I have other, full size cans if I want things quieter.  Although being quiet is nice, Im more concerned with weight, length, and maneuverability while still taking the edge off.  Thinking about replacing or accompanying my G19 as my bedside firearm.
View Quote
The Omega 9k fits that bill really well. Hansohn Bros with Arfcom pricing is about as good as it gets.

Both Griffin and Rugged 3 lug attachments work but the new Griffin is much tighter, it only fits one of my 3 lug barrels where the older one fits all. I didn't expect that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I vote neither...
Neither of those are user serviceable.

Come back and talk to me after 19 years of use.  That is how long I've had my MK9K's and other 9mm SMG cans that I'm now basically buying over again to get them rebuilt since they have filled up with crap over the years and gotten heavy with crud.

While you can 'dip' both of those options you will have a hard time even with a bore scope to see what is going on in the nooks and crannies of the baffles.

I vote the Curtis Tactical CT9KS.  Made from 17-4 baffles that are threaded together and a Titanium tube and endcap.

This design is also basically future proof.  Since the baffles are not welded and the tube is held in compression, if there is a advancement in baffle design you can easily have it re-cored vs using welded baffles.

I did get to hear the Omega 9K on the same host and ammo as the CT9KS and so glad I had Curtis Tactical make me this instead of buying the Omega 9K.  The 9K was a lot louder.

I cannot tell the difference between the short CT9KS (5.75") vs my original MK9K (~8").  It is very quiet.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/MK9K-pics-and-info-request-/20-507233/

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I vote neither...
Neither of those are user serviceable.

Come back and talk to me after 19 years of use.  That is how long I've had my MK9K's and other 9mm SMG cans that I'm now basically buying over again to get them rebuilt since they have filled up with crap over the years and gotten heavy with crud.

While you can 'dip' both of those options you will have a hard time even with a bore scope to see what is going on in the nooks and crannies of the baffles.

I vote the Curtis Tactical CT9KS.  Made from 17-4 baffles that are threaded together and a Titanium tube and endcap.

This design is also basically future proof.  Since the baffles are not welded and the tube is held in compression, if there is a advancement in baffle design you can easily have it re-cored vs using welded baffles.

I did get to hear the Omega 9K on the same host and ammo as the CT9KS and so glad I had Curtis Tactical make me this instead of buying the Omega 9K.  The 9K was a lot louder.

I cannot tell the difference between the short CT9KS (5.75") vs my original MK9K (~8").  It is very quiet.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/MK9K-pics-and-info-request-/20-507233/

http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MP5K-PDW-1024x569.jpg
View Quote
Sounds good, but the reality is, SilencerCo, if they exist in 19 years, same with DA, they can just saw the stack off and weld a new baffle stack on. No fuss, no muss. I'm sure that's something Ecco Machine could so as well.

I myself? I just fire a few rounds of 5.56 through it and don't worry about it. If you get 19 years out of sound suppressor, you got your money's worth, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just fire a few rounds of 5.56 through it and don't worry about it.
View Quote
I thought the same thing for 22LR.  I run a lot of full auto 22LR and bought a Liberty Constitution (full auto 556 which can be disassembled) just so I could do full auto 556 mag dumps through it after running 22LR.
That doesn't work...
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I thought the same thing for 22LR.  I run a lot of full auto 22LR and bought a Liberty Constitution (full auto 556 which can be disassembled) just so I could do full auto 556 mag dumps through it after running 22LR.
That doesn't work...
View Quote
As I said, if you get 19 years out of a sound suppressor, and you don't feel you've gotten your monies worth, I don't know what to tell you. Also, we're not talking about .22lr, we're talking about 9mm cans. While they do load up and gain weight, it is not like a .22 which leads up. The key part of my statement is, "I don't worry about it"
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an Omega 9K on a SBR PCC, love it. I shoot left so most rifles suppressed can be gassy for me with rapid fire.

If you want K can and dedicated to 9mm get the Omega.
Most of my favorite rifles have dedicated K cans.

I might get a Wolfman for other uses, has more caliber options.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As I said, if you get 19 years out of a sound suppressor, and you don't feel you've gotten your monies worth, I don't know what to tell you. Also, we're not talking about .22lr, we're talking about 9mm cans. While they do load up and gain weight, it is not like a .22 which leads up. The key part of my statement is, "I don't worry about it"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That doesn't work...
That is great for you...just putting my 2 cents out there for people that want to listen.

In regards to not being 22LR...I obviously know that...I reload only jacketed 9mm and the base of the bullet is exposed lead.  This does end up leading up the can.  That is my point.  
People that don't reload and buying jacketed RN 147 most likely also have an exposed lead base....you typically need to buy HP jacketed rounds to have a jacketed base....and full auto 556 is not going to clean it out...that was my point to mentioning the 22LR.

It all comes down to how much you shoot.  It doesn't take 19 years to fill a can up.  That was just my example and experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top