Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2020 11:20:00 AM EDT
The GSL Phoenix just arrived for a review and I was hoping that some of our resident MK9K owners/experts would donate some images and their impressions I could use on Saturday.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The GSL Phoenix just arrived for a review and I was hoping that some of our resident MK9K owners/experts would donate some images and their impressions I could use on Saturday.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I put some pics in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Gemtech-MK9K/20-500653/
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/02/01/gsl-phoenix-best-subgun/

I would encourage you all to read the entire article.

I put an Easter egg silencer giveaway in the body of the text. Was hoping one of you guys would get it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I really enjoy this series and thanks for sharing. I’m running the Omega 9K right now on my SP5 but I need to keep an eye on a true subgun can like the Phoenix. Plus I love the “old school” style.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I really enjoy this series and thanks for sharing. I’m running the Omega 9K right now on my SP5 but I need to keep an eye on a true subgun can like the Phoenix. Plus I love the “old school” style.
View Quote
How about the Curtis tactical variety and choose your own 3lug?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How about the Curtis tactical variety and choose your own 3lug?
View Quote
That’s probably the direction I’d go in. @amphibian what’s the weight on your version?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s probably the direction I’d go in. @amphibian what’s the weight on your version?
View Quote
Is Curtis still up and running? Last I talked to them they were pausing manufacturing for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is Curtis still up and running? Last I talked to them they were pausing manufacturing for a bit.
View Quote
I remember that too. I think there was something on their website but don’t know if I see it now. If I recall that was during a very slow period for suppressor sales.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Curtis is selling their version (according to their FB page) the CT9KS. They just finished a run for people wanting amphibian's setup. He was also doing a full size if you requested it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Curtis is selling their version (according to their FB page) the CT9KS. They just finished a run for people wanting amphibian's setup. He was also doing a full size if you requested it.
View Quote
He actually offers:
CT9KS 5.75"  (What I had requested)
CT9K 8"
CT9KL 10"
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, he has a new shop and address now and hired more help.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my first MK9K in 2001.  I liked them so much I had 4 of them at one time.  One dedicated with a 3 lug mount, one dedicated with an UZI mount (for the full size and Mini UZI), one dedicated to the Micro UZI (different barrel nut than the full size and Mini) and one for spare.

The one I had on my Micro sheared apart during a full auto burst.  It had broken at the ports that bleed into the outer tube.  The latest iterations of the MK9K made by Gemtech and now the GSL Phoenix have that area built up to prevent that.

I was one of the biggest fans of the MK9K.  Here is an old thread from 2004 that helped get it back into production back then: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-Gem-Tech-Mk9K-Group-Buy-

Today, I only have 1 MK9K and keep it around as a benchmark.

I now have two of the Curtis Tactical custom cans that I requested to have made to my specifications:
1. Coaxial design just like the MK9K.
2. Threaded to be backward compatible with all the MK9K mounts
3. Completely serviceable unlike the original MK9K.   The GSL Phoenix is finally completely serviceable but is made out of aluminum.
4. NO aluminum so cleaning with harsh chemicals is not an issue.  Baffles are 17-4 SS, tube and endcaps are Titanium.  The GSL is using aluminum baffles....also bear in mind that on the original MK9K, the conical blast baffle is aluminum also...the rest are stainless.  I had worn out my original aluminum blast baffle to be beyond .50".   Another reason I want SS baffles.
5. Shorter than the MK9K.  I was willing to accept some performance loss but to my surprise, I can't really tell a difference to my original MK9K.

Picture below of one of my MK9K's.  This tube was being used with one of the core's that didn't have the beefed up area and I swapped it with the other core that did and it wouldn't go over the beefed up area with the excessive fouling.

Picture after cleaning with CLR - which you are NOT supposed to use with Aluminum but I was about to do severe damage with my Dremel and screwdriver...

This is what I do now for my Curtis Tactical can and my MK9K so I don't have to deal with that again.

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
You must have had your coffee. That’s great info for early Sunday morning.

Quoted:
I got my first MK9K in 2001.  I liked them so much I had 4 of them at one time.  One dedicated with a 3 lug mount, one dedicated with an UZI mount (for the full size and Mini UZI), one dedicated to the Micro UZI (different barrel nut than the full size and Mini) and one for spare.

The one I had on my Micro sheared apart during a full auto burst.  It had broken at the ports that bleed into the outer tube.  The latest iterations of the MK9K made by Gemtech and now the GSL Phoenix have that area built up to prevent that.

I was one of the biggest fans of the MK9K.  Here is an old thread from 2004 that helped get it back into production back then: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-Gem-Tech-Mk9K-Group-Buy-

Today, I only have 1 MK9K and keep it around as a benchmark.

I now have two of the Curtis Tactical custom cans that I requested to have made to my specifications:
1. Coaxial design just like the MK9K.
2. Threaded to be backward compatible with all the MK9K mounts
3. Completely serviceable unlike the original MK9K.   The GSL Phoenix is finally completely serviceable but is made out of aluminum.
4. NO aluminum so cleaning with harsh chemicals is not an issue.  Baffles are 17-4 SS, tube and endcaps are Titanium.  The GSL is using aluminum baffles.
5. Shorter than the MK9K.  I was willing to accept some performance loss but to my surprise, I can't really tell a difference to my original MK9K.

Picture below of one of my MK9K's.  This tube was being used one of the core's that didn't have the beefed up area and I swapped it with the other core that did and it wouldn't go over the beefed up area with the excessive fouling.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/fouled-mk9k-outer-tube-1024x771.jpg

Picture after cleaning with CLR - which you are NOT supposed to use with Aluminum but I was about to do severe damage with my Dremel and screwdriver...
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/MK9K-cleaned-tube2.png

This is what I do now for my Curtis Tactical can and my MK9K so I don't have to deal with that again.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CT9KS-ShimStock1-1024x871.png

http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CT9KS-ShimStock2.png

http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/SS-ShimStock-1024x512.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You must have had your coffee. That's great info for early Sunday morning.
View Quote
Not done yet...
BTW...I just edited my post above also....clarifying that the original MK9K has an aluminum blast baffle and the rest are SS.  I had worn my original blast baffle to be over .50" over the years.  I only want SS for a blast baffle now....or ALL baffles for that matter...

Now the weights....my new custom Curtis Tactical can is actually lighter than my MK9K....it is shorter but no aluminum.  I used the same legacy Gemtech aluminum 3 lug mount for measuring weight to be consistent though.
The Curtis can eliminates the need for an inner tube since the baffles are threaded..so some weight is saved there.   Outer tube is Titanium.

All said....I think the new Curtis Tactical CT9KS is the best SMG can made today.

You may also be interested in this thread: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?92307-Curtis-Tactical-s-new-CT9KS-coaxial-suppressor
Also using the old school Bixler 3 lug mount for the Curtis Tactical cans.  He had never seen these and I let him borrow mine for cloning.  These lock up rock solid vs the push/turn 3 lug mounts that most vendors sell/copy which was originally invented by Greg Latka (GSL).
Joe at Curtis Tactical's idea of making a different nut to allow for direct thread is pretty smart....and a sleeve to prevent fouling even better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not done yet...
BTW...I just edited my post above also....clarifying that the original MK9K has an aluminum blast baffle and the rest are SS.  I had worn my original blast baffle to be over .50" over the years.  I only want SS for a blast baffle now....or ALL baffles for that matter...

Now the weights....my new custom Curtis Tactical can is actually lighter than my MK9K....it is shorter but no aluminum.  I used the same legacy Gemtech aluminum 3 lug mount for measuring weight to be consistent though.
The Curtis can eliminates the need for an inner tube since the baffles are threaded..so some weight is saved there.   Outer tube is Titanium.

All said....I think the new Curtis Tactical CT9KS is the best SMG can made today.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Gemtech-MK9k-weight.jpg

http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CurtisTactical-Amphibian-MK9K-K-weight-511x1024.jpg

You may also be interested in this thread: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?92307-Curtis-Tactical-s-new-CT9KS-coaxial-suppressor
Also using the old school Bixler 3 lug mount for the Curtis Tactical cans.  He had never seen these and I let him borrow mine for cloning.  These lock up rock solid vs the push/turn 3 lug mounts that most vendors sell/copy which was originally invented by Greg Latka (GSL).
Joe at Curtis Tactical's idea of making a different nut to allow for direct thread is pretty smart....and a sleeve to prevent fouling even better.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CT9KS-DirectThreadNut-1024x827.png
View Quote
Awesome information. Can you show/tell more about the Bixler mount and how it differs from traditional 3 lug?

The Curtis can may be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Right there with you on the Bixler 3-Lug. May not be as sexy or fast as a spring loaded 3-Lug, and does require the user to pay a little attention during installation, but oh so solid!

SilentMike
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Right there with you on the Bixler 3-Lug. May not be as sexy or fast as a spring loaded 3-Lug, and does require the user to pay a little attention during installation, but oh so solid!

SilentMike
View Quote
I’m assuming this is the style that B&T uses on the TP9 three lug conversion? Very solid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Awesome information. Can you show/tell more about the Bixler mount and how it differs from traditional 3 lug?

The Curtis can may be my next purchase.
View Quote

Only downside is you need to be able to grab the nut to install/remove.  So not ideal if you want to really nest the can inside a rail.  I like to shoot unsuppressed sometimes so not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m curious about how the MK-9K/ Phoenix would sound with 300blk subs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I was kind of in a hurry this morning and didn't elaborate on the cleaning aspect.  If look at the picture below, My MK9K on the left was clogging the ports so much that it was no longer utilizing the outer tube's volume from so much fouling.  I had to get the can really hot and break the outer tube free.

What is the point of having a high volume coaxial design when it gets so fouled you can no longer take advantage of the volume??

So then you have to clean it...so again, how?   With an aluminum blast baffle and and aluminum inner tube of the original Gemtech MK9K, you can't use the 'dip' and you really shouldn't put aluminum in an ultrasonic (although if you've read my posts, I did it as I was desperate)....and now with the Phoenix it again has an inner tube made of aluminum and aluminum baffles....

As stated in the Phoenix manual,
"Should you choose to clean your Phoenix Suppressor, keep in mindthe components are manufactured of aircraft grade aluminum.
You should never use solvents that contain ammonia, including
Hoppe's, Sweets and GI bore cleaner. Water based solvents can
also damage the aluminum components."

I personally don't want to be that restricted on how I clean the core.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm curious about how the MK-9K/ Phoenix would sound with 300blk subs.
View Quote
Just an FYI, this is what Joe told me regarding my Curtis Tactical can,

"It will handle 300blk sub and super down to 8" barrel, 556 down to 14"barrel. No full auto on super rifle rounds but 300blk subs okay for
auto."
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"It will handle 300blk sub and super down to 8" barrel, 556 down to 14"barrel. No full auto on super rifle rounds but 300blk subs okay for
auto."
View Quote
Damn. Stop spending my money. I should email Joe and see how he’s doing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#23]
The weight came out nice for the size of the suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn. Stop spending my money. I should email Joe and see how he's doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

auto."
Damn. Stop spending my money. I should email Joe and see how he's doing.
You'll thank me later

and some pics to 'help'...

And a video...note that video was taken w/ my GoPro.  I think it amplified the quieter sounds....GoPro is also closer to the Curtis Tactical can.  It sounds the same to me in person.
For the video, I used the same ammo, the same type of 3 lug mount and identical barrel lengths.
MK9K vs custom short Curtis Tactical can
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I need to do some kind of rebuild on my Gemtech viper 45 It has untold amounts of 45 through it on my Mac 10 and the previous owner as well.

Seems like a similar situation to the mk9
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think I need to do some kind of rebuild on my Gemtech viper 45 It has untold amounts of 45 through it on my Mac 10 and the previous owner as well.

View Quote
Definitely contact Joe at Curtis Tactical...I have a ginormous 9mm SMG can that is way overbuilt that I never use that I want him to re-core and build out to a .45 SMG that is completely serviceable with all SS or Titanium components.

I have so many cans that are sealed that I want to get re-built.   Did I mention I wish I never bought any sealed pistol caliber cans?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Viper-45 and Viper-9 both use aluminum M-baffles. The tube and stack (everything but the mount) in the V-45 is the same as the UMP. The Viper-9 uses the same tube and stack as the original Raptor-9mm and Mossad, and we have longevity studies for the Raptor and Mossad (200,000 rounds before reduction drops from about 30dB to 20 dB. Because the Viper-45 tube and stack is similar except for dimensions, I would be comfortable saying that 100,000 to 150,000 rounds is a reasonable lifespan estimate. All can be rebuilt.

These were rugged subgun cans and designed for full auto fire. In 9mm, I have sectioned several of the high round count units, and even though filled with carbon, they were still hearing safe at the reference location before sectioning.

Gemtech (S&W) won't rebuild, and they destroyed all the repair parts that we had for these suppressors. However, GSL Technology was the subcontractor who built them for Gemtech and undoubtedly has rebuild capabilities as they are producing the same items with a slightly different model designation. I believe their phone is 517-780-9090.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone have video of how the Bixler mount works? Not finding one on youtube and don't fully understand it.

goloud, there was a giveaway? And it looks like I missed it? That's what I get for traveling on Silencer Saturday I guess
...but I do look forward to being announced winner of the B&T naming contest
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does anyone have video of how the Bixler mount works? Not finding one on youtube and don't fully understand it.

goloud, there was a giveaway? And it looks like I missed it? That's what I get for traveling on Silencer Saturday I guess
...but I do look forward to being announced winner of the B&T naming contest
View Quote
I'd like to see a video too.

And about a year ago TFB had a spot where you could suggest VP9 names. The winner is supposed to get a pistol. I watched a Brownells video where it looked like the new name is SIX (S9) as a tribute to Station IX/Welrod origin.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I put an Easter egg in the article. Gave away a Turbo K and an SRD762.

I met with B&T at SHOT and we are coordinating the announcement and winner.

Quoted:

I'd like to see a video too.

And about a year ago TFB had a spot where you could suggest VP9 names. The winner is supposed to get a pistol. I watched a Brownells video where it looked like the new name is SIX (S9) as a tribute to Station IX/Welrod origin.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that is true I did not win. Bummer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I put an Easter egg in the article. Gave away a Turbo K and an SRD762.

I met with B&T at SHOT and we are coordinating the announcement and winner.
View Quote
Damn, I totally missed them then.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Damn, I totally missed them then.
View Quote
I was hoping someone here would win...
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Not a video, but here is the five step mounting procedure for a Bixler style 3-Lug from page 310 of Al Paulson's Silencer History and Performance Volume 1.

1. Loosen the rear coupling nut on the mounting assembly) 2+ turns.
2. Align the suppressor to the firearm so the barrel lugs line up with the cutouts inside the rear coupling nut.
3. Push the suppressor past the three lugs on the barrel.
4. Turn the suppressor body clockwise until tight. IMPORTANT: the rear coupling nut must rotate approximately 1/10 turn clockwise in order to engage the three lugs. watch for this movement.
5. Verify that the suppressor is mounted properly by pulling the suppressor body forward. The suppressor should pull off the barrel is not mounted properly.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not a video, but here is the five step mounting procedure for a Bixler style 3-Lug from page 310 of Al Paulson's Silencer History and Performance Volume 1.

1. Loosen the rear coupling nut on the mounting assembly) 2+ turns.
2. Align the suppressor to the firearm so the barrel lugs line up with the cutouts inside the rear coupling nut.
3. Push the suppressor past the three lugs on the barrel.
4. Turn the suppressor body clockwise until tight. IMPORTANT: the rear coupling nut must rotate approximately 1/10 turn clockwise in order to engage the three lugs. watch for this movement.
5. Verify that the suppressor is mounted properly by pulling the suppressor body forward. The suppressor should pull off the barrel is not mounted properly.

SilentMike
View Quote
Good to know. I have Vols 1 & 2 but haven't sat down to fully go through them yet. Is Al no longer around? It sounded like Vol. 3 was going to cover some really interesting stuff but it seems it never came out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#36]
It's been a couple of years since I talked to Al.

Volumes 1 and 2 offer a lot of great insight into how the industry got to where it is today. Lot's of good info, and fantastic illustrations!

SilentMike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top