Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2024 10:19:13 PM EDT
Yes I know there is better cans, quieter cans and smaller cans. But none of those came priced what I just paid for one today.

I went to do the paperwork ( 7 day waiting period ) on the ap5 I ordered. I told my LGS that I had just ordered a new can ( explorer 300 ) and I said he needs to stock some cans. He went back to the vault and brought out an Omega 9k and said make me an offer. I did a quick look up for price and made an offer, he said yes. GOD damn it, no sales tax, no transfer fee and under 50% of the lowest price I could find online, brand new in the box.

I know it comes with a 5/8 direct thread, I may run it on the ap5, so I need a 3 lug that works with it. I have a sdta 3 lug, but I am not sure its the right thread. I play on trying it on a pistol so I will need a piston in for that, they are cheap enough. If it works well enough with a pistol, I will probably keep my form 1 9mm can on the ap5, if not the Omega will live on the ap5, and maybe see some time on 300 blks. But I have the explorer for 300.

So what suggestions for 3 lug, if the sdta one wont work? Does anyone make cheaper pistons that what CA sells the Omega pistons for ( $75 )?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an Omega 45K on mine.  The Omega 9K is 2 dB quieter with 9mm than the 45K, but the suppression is entirely satisfactory for my purposes with the 45K on my AP5.

The female 3-lug mount is $139 from Silencerco, and I bought it in a bundle with a male 3-lug adapter for use on another 9mm SBR for $187 shipped.

I went with the Omega 45K partly as I wasn’t entirely sure how much play there would be between the MKE 3-lug male mount and the Silencerco female mount,  and partly as it will also see use on a .45 ACP pistol as well with a piston. There is a bit of play, but I think the 9mm would work fine on the AP5 without a baffle strike.

It is a fully welded suppressor, so you won’t want to use it with cast bullets. It won’t need cleaned with jacketed bullets.  You will want to clean the mount occasionally and it’s able to be disassembled for that purpose.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:24:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#3]
It’s louder with the internal 3 lug if that’s important to you. It was to me, so I use either direct thread or a legacy external Sico 3 lug or Bixler 3 lug.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Omega9k-vs-Wolfman/20-521554/?page=1

ETA: post #49
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 of them.  One gets used on my MP5's and other PCC's and the other on handguns.  It sounds and looks really good on my Staccato P.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#5]
From the exhaustive research I did it works with the SP5 very well and seemed to be the most recommended.  Excellent suppression with subsonic for its size.  I didn’t want to turn my teeny SP5 into a musket with a long ass suppressor.  The approval can’t come fast enough for mine.  I went with the SilencerCo 3 lug mount.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had mine since they came out. Can't remember when that was, but its been a few years. It'd not the quietest 9mm can, but it sounds pretty good on my scorpion and AR9. I almost never shoot my full size 9mm can anymore.

I clean mine with CLR. Since it is a sealed can, it does get dirty on the inside. I definitely would clean it out every 1 to 2 thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Quintin:
This is the three lug adapter I have and I'm very happy with it.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/kaw-valley-precision/accessories/3-lug/kvp-mach-3-lug-mount-extended-9mm/
View Quote

Anyone using these with a O45k, can you comment on whether the performance/blowback difference vs the internal SiCo mount is noticeable? It’s only a .3” length difference. Curious if it’s worth swapping mine from the SiCo one on a straight blowback 9mm SBR.

I suppose I could also just direct thread it, and that’d probably give me the most blast chamber volume.

Edit: just saw Plan A, also. That’d put me in the sweet-spot for length (can is tucked on a trilug) on its host and open it up to use on my other PCCs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
After reading the thread title I was going to say “wait for the Specter 9 instead”

After reading the thread all I can say is “lucky! why can’t I find a $300 Omega 9k”
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mblades:
After reading the thread title I was going to say “wait for the Specter 9 instead”

After reading the thread all I can say is “lucky! why can’t I find a $300 Omega 9k”
View Quote

As soon as one comes available I’m buying one of those too.  I got impatient.  Lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The Griffin EZ-lok piston is a nice upgrade for a small, handy suppressor that sees several pistol hosts. I find that handiest on .45 cans where thusly equipped it fits all adapted barrels / calibers below .45 without needing to change pistons.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
Yes I know there is better cans, quieter cans and smaller cans. But none of those came priced what I just paid for one today.
View Quote

Mind sharing what you paid? Regardless, there may not be a better, quieter can in its class — it’s superb.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#12]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:

Mind sharing what you paid? Regardless, there may not be a better, quieter can in its class — it’s superb.
View Quote

under 300 otd plus stamp, not a lot but a little

edit to add, deleted a line here, just because I was told something not true

I also have done a lot of work for the shop, when they got turned in to a drive thru I speced and then build then a security cage for the door. They bought the steel I built it. I also do HGP ( ccw ) classes for the shop occasionally, when they have customers who cant do normal classes, aka 2 days of 8 hours each. I did one that was a bunch of 3 hour days after work for some people.

So its not like I just lucked in to a deal, I have kind of earned/paid for the discount in other ways.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
This is the three lug adapter I have and I'm very happy with it.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/kaw-valley-precision/accessories/3-lug/kvp-mach-3-lug-mount-extended-9mm/

As far as the O9K goes, it's short and sounds good.  I just got mine yesterday, haven't been able to play with it any.  But a friend has one and it is an awesome PCC can.
View Quote

I just bought this 3 lug and while at it I got the rearden xl hub to plan b for my explorer. They were out of the 1/2 28 piston or I would have bought that as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the better choices for an MP5 style gun imo. They are great suppressors.

The only downside is that it's fully welded and you're not able to disassemble it to clean it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:39:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#15]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I little louder than a full size can but still sounds good. It looks great on a SD clone.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought mine because of a sale and it has ended up being a good little can.

Sounds awesome on my Uzi SBR, and I think I prefer shooting my Omega 9k on a handgun compared to longer pistol silencers even though it's not as quiet.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]
For me, the Omega 9k is the perfect balance between sound level, size, and weight on a pistol.  I use mine most on a P226 with 147gr hand loads.  I wouldn't mind picking up a second.

I had a PTR for a while and was not too impressed with the suppression compared to an Octane or Obsidian 45.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I pretty much run my Omega 9K only on a SP5K-PDW just to keep it short and light.  For larger heavier PCCs, I use a Wolfman.  For pistols, I’d rather use an Osprey or Obsidian.  The 9K is just too fat for my tastes on a conventional pistol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought an Omega 9k this past year for dedicated use on a Sig MPX with an ILWT 4.5in barrel.  I've only shot it a few times but so far I'm not impressed with it.  It just seems loud no matter what.  I've tried AE 147g FMJ, Federal Syntech 150g, and PPU 158g.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m looking for the best (quieter) option for 9MM fixed barrels.  I’m considering Griffin Plan-A Taper Mount Adapter with Minimalist Stealth Flash Hider and Silencerco’s current internal 3-Lug Mount option.  If you can’t hear any DB difference which mount would you want?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By George218:
I’m looking for the best (quieter) option for 9MM fixed barrels.  I’m considering Griffin Plan-A Taper Mount Adapter with Minimalist Stealth Flash Hider and Silencerco’s current internal 3-Lug Mount option.  If you can’t hear any DB difference which mount would you want?
View Quote
I’ve got both setups. Plan A on a Rex, and Trilug on a Omega 45k. I like plan A better, but the 3 lug is great, too. The overall length is similar when mounted, but the Plan A setup looks like it has more blast chamber volume. I haven’t tried to measure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top