Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2021 5:01:08 PM EDT
Does anyone have any Db numbers comparing the wolfman in short config and omega9k? I plan on using it on a sub gun primarily. Likely will run in the short configuration.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in these two as well. Anybody own both and want to share their thoughts/comparison?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Might want to consider the YHM R9 in this conversation as well
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Better than both other options for that use IMO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a bold statement with the limited information OP gave.

The Rex MG7 and YHM N20 fit in that category as well OP.

I’d ask what hosts and firing schedules are, and maybe priorities (quiet vs short, heavy, etc.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The link below has a guy shooting an R9 and Wolfman back to back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/knxhf9/yhm_r9_vs_da_wolfman/
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at both and went with the Wolfman because research showed me it was quieter. Can't quote exact sources though because I looked at pretty much everything from everyone and have no idea who said what anymore. Silencer Shop should have some dB videos with equipment
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was looking at both and went with the Wolfman because research showed me it was quieter. Can't quote exact sources though because I looked at pretty much everything from everyone and have no idea who said what anymore. Silencer Shop should have some dB videos with equipment
View Quote

That’s my usual go to for comparison but they didn’t have the same hosts for these suppressors unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolfman is a hilariously quiet suppressor. I have two, and they are great.

Just picked up an Omega 9k. I’ll try it out soon enough.

These are the two cans that come to mind when I think “sub gun”. R9 and some others are very good too I’m sure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wolfman is a hilariously quiet suppressor. I have two, and they are great.

Just picked up an Omega 9k. I’ll try it out soon enough.

These are the two cans that come to mind when I think “sub gun”. R9 and some others are very good too I’m sure.
View Quote

When I think sub-gun the MK-9K comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If you know you're only going to use it in short why even pay for a modular section that'll sit in your safe?

Omega 9k, YHM R9, and REX as mentioned above are all great options that won't have you paying for material and work you aren't going to use.

I have an Omega 9k and I'm extremely satisfied with it, particularly for the price I paid. Still, all the other cans are quality options worth researching.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]

RexMG7, BlackHawk MiniBoss, SICo O9K
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy the Wolfman.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’d ask what hosts and firing schedules are, and maybe priorities (quiet vs short, heavy, etc.)
View Quote

Someone needs to make a meme about the YHM fan club.  

It doesn't matter what the question actually is, whether relevant or not, the answer is always buy a YHM.

BUY A YHM!!  BUY TWO YHMs!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When I think sub-gun the MK-9K comes to mind.
View Quote

Didn't Gemtech go tits up?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Didn't Gemtech go tits up?
View Quote

Not yet.
And GSL still makes the Pheonix.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have both. The Omega 9k on an MP5 and the Wolfman in short on an MP5K. Outdoors it's hard to tell the difference. Indoors the Wolfman is a little less edge. I'm happy with both.

I thought I would use the Wolfman in long config but prefer it short.

The Dead Air 3 lug adapter is a little longer by maybe half an inch.

The Omega 9k used to be the same price as the Wolfman. When I found one for $599 I jumped on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter what the question actually is, whether relevant or not, the answer is always buy a YHM.

View Quote

I don’t own a single YHM suppressor. But for the OP’s uses several YHM designs are a good fit and very cost competitive for the value, materials and construction.  Sometimes bringing up alternatives brings to light other aspects regarding hosts, accessories, etc.  

Anyway, your comment could apply to any of several popular brands, and these things tend to run in clusters that change every few years.  Certain forums display definite favorites.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#18]
The Wolfman in short mode is going to be quieter, but it's also longer. At that point it's more about looks that dB rating.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really. He asked about two suppressors for PCC use. I said the R9 is better overall than those two for that use. I didn't say anything about a market wide comparison. There are a lot of others if that were the case.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That could be said about any manufacturer. You're shocked because people have brands they like more than others?

That being said if YHM makes an equal or quieter, lighter, cheaper version of other market suppressors then why would it not be a good option and high seller?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

IDK, DA and Rex seem to get a lot of love too on this forum.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Omega 9K is awesome but I have a couple R9 in jail because they are half the price and can be used on 350 Legend.

If price didn't matter and only for a 9mm PCC I would buy the Omega again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Wolfman
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My Omega 9K is awesome but I have a couple R9 in jail because they are half the price and can be used on 350 Legend.

If price didn't matter and only for a 9mm PCC I would buy the Omega again.
View Quote

Actually, I was in the same boat as the OP a few months ago.  I too was torn between the same cans and ended up going with the Omega.  I wanted a K can for my SP5(I have other full size 9mm cans) and knew I would rarely, if ever, run the wolfman in the long configuration.
In the end it came down to size and weight for me.  The looks and performance was icing on the cake.  I just acquired an SP5K-PDW and now Im torn between another Omega 9K or the R9.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#25]
So between the Omega9k, the Wolfman and the R9, would the Wolfman be more flexible for use on rifle calibers?

YHM clearly states 16" or longer with 5.56 to 308.  What are the barrel length limitations of the Wolfman and Omega9k with 5.56-308?

I
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]
None of the above...lol..

Fully serviceable for me!...and NO Aluminum.

All SS 17-4 baffles and will last forever.  In case I want to upgrade the core, easy to get someone to make a replacement baffle or replace the entire core since the baffles are NOT welded especially to the tube.
http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=244
Can also handle full auto 300 BLK supersonic as well.
Can also handle 556 from 16" barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So between the Omega9k, the Wolfman and the R9, would the Wolfman be more flexible for use on rifle calibers?

YHM clearly states 16" or longer with 5.56 to 308.  What are the barrel length limitations of the Wolfman and Omega9k with 5.56-308?
View Quote

On rifle calibers the full length Wolfman should be quieter at the muzzle.  Omega9k isn’t rated for 5.56 or .308 at all.  Not up on the Wolfman at all, but I believe for rifles there were requirements for the muzzle device (needs a muzzle brake).  The Rex MG7 warranties all uses.

ETA: looks like Wolfman on 5.56 and .308 requires Keymicro brake (and Keymicro mount, so MSRP $250 mount, $90 brake), but I couldn’t find any barrel length notes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On rifle calibers the full length Wolfman should be quieter at the muzzle.  Omega9k isn’t rated for 5.56 or .308 at all.  Not up on the Wolfman at all, but I believe for rifles there were requirements for the muzzle device (needs a muzzle brake).  The Rex MG7 warranties all uses.

ETA: looks like Wolfman on 5.56 and .308 requires Keymicro brake (and Keymicro mount, so MSRP $250 mount, $90 brake), but I couldn’t find any barrel length notes.
View Quote

I don’t think you can use .308 on the Wolfman unless something changed. I could be, and often am, wrong.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
ETA: looks like Wolfman on 5.56 and .308 requires Keymicro brake (and Keymicro mount, so MSRP $250 mount, $90 brake), but I couldn't find any barrel length notes.
View Quote
Yeah, I've looked all over. Even downloaded the Wolfman manual. No mention of barrel length.  Does that mean no limitation?  I sent DA an inquiry using their web form.

I also find their muzzle brake recommendation interesting. Are they actually saying it has to be their muzzle brake, or would any of the good quality mfg QD muzzle brakes be OK?  

If it can handle 5.56 SBRs, I'm kind of leaning towards the Wolfman having more flexibility. That plus the modular length really does give it a great bang for the buck, even at twice the cost compared to the YHM R9. Could the Wolfman take the place of both an R9 and a Turbo K?

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

looks like Wolfman on 5.56 and .308 requires Keymicro brake (and Keymicro mount, so MSRP $250 mount, $90 brake), but I couldn’t find any barrel length notes.
View Quote

It comes with 1/2 x 28 direct thread, so you don't have to get the mount and brake unless you want to. I think it's a good idea but it's not necessary
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It comes with 1/2 x 28 direct thread, so you don't have to get the mount and brake unless you want to. I think it's a good idea but it's not necessary
View Quote
Yes and No. With pistol rounds or subsonic 300BO, you can run the direct thread or whatever mount you want to. However, KalmanPhilter was replying to my comment about using the Wolfman with 5.56, 300BO and 7.62x39 supersonic rifle rounds.

On the Wolfman product page DeadAir states "When shooting supersonic rifle ammo you must use the KeyMicro brake, semi-auto only rated on supersonic rifle cartridges".

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
None of the above...lol..

Fully serviceable for me!...and NO Aluminum.

All SS 17-4 baffles and will last forever.  In case I want to upgrade the core, easy to get someone to make a replacement baffle or replace the entire core since the baffles are NOT welded especially to the tube.
http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=244
Can also handle full auto 300 BLK supersonic as well.
Can also handle 556 from 16" barrel.

View Quote

Between your Bixler 3-lug mount and your smart tube shielding, I think you might have one of (if not the) coolest subgun silencer setups I have ever seen.

I'm going to buy a GSL Phoenix because reasons. I've shot the mk9k but I never got one.  One of my biggest regrets. Never heard one I didn't like.  Always sounded pleasing to me.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don’t think you can use .308 on the Wolfman unless something changed. I could be, and often am, wrong.
View Quote

I think you are right. I saw the 5/8-24 micro brake, but the suppressor description only mentions 7.62x39.  For as heavy as it is, that’s a surprising limitation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Between your Bixler 3-lug mount and your smart tube shielding, I think you might have one of (if not the) coolest subgun silencer setups I have ever seen.

I'm going to buy a GSL Phoenix because reasons. I've shot the mk9k but I never got one.  One of my biggest regrets. Never heard one I didn't like.  Always sounded pleasing to me.

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote
Thanks!
You do realize the GSL Phoenix is using aluminum baffles and aluminum inner tube?  It is also heavier than my CT9KS.  I don't have the equipment to test suppressors but they sounded about the same to my ear.  I've owned 4 MK9K's over the years.  I still have one.  The others were sold and I had one re-cored / cut down to be another CT9KS.  
I would never go back to an aluminum SMG can ever again....or any SMG can that cannot be serviced.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In true Arfcom fashion, I got both.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Everyone is correct... OP should buy all of those cans.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks!
You do realize the GSL Phoenix is using aluminum baffles and aluminum inner tube?  It is also heavier than my CT9KS.  I don't have the equipment to test suppressors but they sounded about the same to my ear.  I've owned 4 MK9K's over the years.  I still have one.  The others were sold and I had one re-cored / cut down to be another CT9KS.  
I would never go back to an aluminum SMG can ever again....or any SMG can that cannot be serviced.
View Quote

Yes sir, absolutely. But also... I don't allocate time to make my own silencers. If the gentleman that made your silencer will make me one, I will totally buy it! :)

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes sir, absolutely. But also... I don't allocate time to make my own silencers. If the gentleman that made your silencer will make me one, I will totally buy it! :)

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

Jay
PEW Science
@TOOL1075 here you go...
https://curtistacticalsuppressorsandrifles.com/suppressors-by-caliber/9mm/Curtis-Tactical-CT9KS-coaxial-Subgun-Suppressor
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote
He sure does...https://curtistacticalsuppressorsandrifles.com/curtis-tactical-subgun-suppressors/Curtis-Tactical-CT9KS-coaxial-Subgun-Suppressor
Ignore the photo on the link though...that is totally wrong but if you read the description that all looks right.  
The last time I spoke to him, he made a couple extra to have on hand from his last run.  He may still have some.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

On rifle calibers the full length Wolfman should be quieter at the muzzle.  Omega9k isn't rated for 5.56 or .308 at all.  Not up on the Wolfman at all, but I believe for rifles there were requirements for the muzzle device (needs a muzzle brake).  The Rex MG7 warranties all uses.

ETA: looks like Wolfman on 5.56 and .308 requires Keymicro brake (and Keymicro mount, so MSRP $250 mount, $90 brake), but I couldn't find any barrel length notes.
View Quote
Just got an email back from DeadAir.

Me: What is the minimum barrel length for the Wolfman suppressor when shooting 5.56x45, 300BO or 7.62x39 supersonics with your Keymicro brake as required?

DA: No min barrel length. Just required use of the Keymicro brake.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Everyone is correct... OP should buy all of those cans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@TOOL1075 here you go...
https://curtistacticalsuppressorsandrifles.com/suppressors-by-caliber/9mm/Curtis-Tactical-CT9KS-coaxial-Subgun-Suppressor
View Quote

He lives a mile from me, his home shop burned down a couple years ago. He just opened at a different building a little over a year ago, much larger.

He was in the hospital with China flu a few weeks ago, I think he is ok now. He was off work 4 weeks so I'm sure he is behind.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#43]

No barrel length requirements for 5.56 for the Wolfman and as you can see, it does really well on a 10.5" MK18. Going down to a 7" barrel however would be hard on even a more dedicated rifle can like the Nomad.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I would love to see a shootout with the Omega9k, YHM R9 and DA Wolfman and actually hear what the sound like side by side on the same hosts
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would love to see a shootout with the Omega9k, YHM R9 and DA Wolfman and actually hear what the sound like side by side on the same hosts
View Quote
Yes! Especially @ear db.

@HansohnBrothers can you make this happen?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur would love to see this!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Probably not anytime soon thanks to the ammunition shortage.
View Quote
Yeah. Understood.

You sure those Suppressed Nation boys don't have a bunch stashed away?

Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's some data from my R&D testing.  Note that these cans can have some big variation depending on host.  Escpecially the Omega-9K.  The flush mounted SiCo 3-lug really loudens it up.

MP5 with Aguila 147gr
Omega9K fixed mount: 131.6 dB (jumps to 135-136 dB with three lug and ASR stayed the same)
Wolfman (short config) fixed mount: 129.0  (3-Lug and KeyMicro will drop to around 128 dB.  You probably won't hear the difference. Wipe will drop a couple more dB)
Wolfman (long config) fixed mount: 122.1  (3-Lug etc. make do difference here.  It's kind of a sound floor)

My goal in designing the Wolfman was to beat the Omega9K using all of our mounting options.  On the Omega-9K it varies greatly on that front.  Direct thread is their best and it only gets louder with their 3-lug.  I made sure our direct thread was awesome and it only got getter from there when running 3-lug, booster, and KeyMicro.

Hope that helps!

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here's some data from my R&D testing.  Note that these cans can have some big variation depending on host.  Escpecially the Omega-9K.  The flush mounted SiCo 3-lug really loudens it up.

MP5 with Aguila 147gr
Omega9K fixed mount: 131.6 dB (jumps to 135-136 dB with three lug and ASR stayed the same)
Wolfman (short config) fixed mount: 129.0  (3-Lug and KeyMicro will drop to around 128 dB.  You probably won't hear the difference. Wipe will drop a couple more dB)
Wolfman (long config) fixed mount: 122.1  (3-Lug etc. make do difference here.  It's kind of a sound floor)

My goal in designing the Wolfman was to beat the Omega9K using all of our mounting options.  On the Omega-9K it varies greatly on that front.  Direct thread is their best and it only gets louder with their 3-lug.  I made sure our direct thread was awesome and it only got getter from there when running 3-lug, booster, and KeyMicro.

Hope that helps!

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

View Quote

Thank you for the numbers!

Any chance of dead air producing a more flush 3 lug mount for the Wolfman. I understand you would lose some DB with it being internal but I like the flush look better.

Or is this even feasible with the design?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top