Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2019 4:15:21 PM EDT
Anyone know where to pick one of these up? Looking for a tri lug adapter as well. I know production is scanty. TIA!
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
they discontinued them, BUT, GSL Technologies makes a new improved version of the MK9K

here
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they discontinued them, BUT, GSL Technologies makes a new improved version of the MK9K

here
View Quote
Yea the phonex is an updated version. GSL was the one making the mk9k for gemtech.

Actually have one on order with a dealer friend who bought one for himself as well. Hoping it shows up before July 4th because if it does we are going to run one on his postie mp5 and my old school gemtech on my transferable and see how much better the new one sounds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh shit - incredible! Thanks gentlemen...everything I’ve read about that design sounds really good. I’m waiting on my barrel swap to a tri lug on my SP5k and I need a suppressor platform that will flatter the host.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I addition to the can you can get the smooth thread protectors from GSL..or at least you could.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Full auto HK MP5K(SP5K) suppressed.

The MK9K goes great with a sp5k, a friend shooting mine. TSC Machine installed a B&T barrel and later refinished the gun in burnt bronze and ral8000. Lower has a burst pack that he installed a fleming sear in.

Love the setup enough that I wanted an extra mk9k, gsl for over a year said they were not going to make the mk9k again. I'm so glad they realized the error in their ways and are making them again. They also are remaking the mac suppressors which is cool.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The MK9K has always been my favorite 9mm SMG can.

Back around 2005, I got enough people to do a group buy for Gemtech to bring it back into production.  It appears that enough people have been asking for GSL to do it again calling it the Phoenix....maybe they should call it the Zombie instead since it doesn't want to die.

Below are two of mine.  Middle is an Octane 9.

The one thing I wish the MK9K was the lack of being completely user serviceable which it appears that the new GSL version is based on the website description.

Before I heard about GSL bringing it back, I contacted Curtis Tactical to make me somewhat of an MK9K clone but this time shorter.  Something in the 5" range but the same 2" diameter and retain the coaxial core.  It is going to have a Titanium tube and end cap utilizing the old school Bixler 3 lug mount and 17-4 SS encapsulated baffles.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Just bought the Phoenix! Now to wait. Thanks again for the knowledge!
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
Why didn’t you simply say you bought 2 of them?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have an x-ray or cutaway is this can?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone have an x-ray or cutaway is this can?
View Quote
The following thread has great pics of complete disassembly of the original design....not the Phoenix.
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/267745-gemtech-mk9k-5.html#/topics/267745?page=5

I'm guessing the Phoenix is using K baffles and retaining the coaxial design?  I haven't seen the guts of that one yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my MK9K, and I bet the Phoenix will be an awesome update of that platform!
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a few 9mm cans but when full auto is on the menu the MK9K is on point. Glad these are back in production.
Would be nice when someone get the new one to post some photos of the internals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would be nice when someone get the new one to post some photos of the internals.
View Quote
Not a picture but it looks like there is a PDF manual on the GSL site now and it has a disassembly diagram in the manual showing how they are using encapsulated baffles inside the inner tube.
https://gsltechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/GSL-Phoenix-Suppressor-Manual.pdf
According the manual, " keep in mindthe components are manufactured of aircraft grade aluminum.
You should never use solvents that contain ammonia, including
Hoppe's, Sweets and GI bore cleaner. Water based solvents can
also damage the aluminum components."

I should have my Curtis Tactical 'MK9K-K' clone here in the next couple of weeks.  
Mine will have encapsulated baffles that are THREADED together.  My baffles will be made from 17-4 SS and since they are threaded, I won't have an inner tube....the baffles ARE the inner tube.  1st baffle will also be ported to dump gas into the outer tube to retain the coaxial design and maintain backward compatibility to the existing MK9K mounts.
Mine will also be under 6" in length.

Hoping it turns out nice and looking forward to comparing to my MK9Ks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a picture but it looks like there is a PDF manual on the GSL site now and it has a disassembly diagram in the manual showing how they are using encapsulated baffles inside the inner tube.
https://gsltechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/GSL-Phoenix-Suppressor-Manual.pdf
According the manual, " keep in mindthe components are manufactured of aircraft grade aluminum.

I should have my Curtis Tactical 'MK9K-K' clone here in the next couple of weeks.  
Mine will have encapsulated baffles that are THREADED together.  My baffles will be made from 17-4 SS and since they are threaded, I won't have an inner tube....the baffles ARE the inner tube.  1st baffle will also be ported to dump gas into the outer tube to retain the coaxial design and maintain backward compatibility to the existing MK9K mounts.

View Quote
Can't wait to see some photos of Joe's work. He did an MP5SD suppressor for me and his work is top notch.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Only thing I can is that I have an MK9K with uzi mount for my full size I've owned about 10 years now, and it's awesome.

I know there is a lot of nice new tech out there, but the MK9K still sounds better to me (on a 9mm subgun) than everything excepting a couple dedicated integrals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can he do a dedicated uzi mount too, because an MK9K-K is exactly what my micro needs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can't wait to see some photos of Joe's work. He did an MP5SD suppressor for me and his work is top notch.
View Quote
Me too, I've been waiting since late December.  Hope it's all good.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can he do a dedicated uzi mount too, because an MK9K-K is exactly what my micro needs.
View Quote
I didn't ask about that.  Are you talking about a Micro UZI?  If so, is yours full auto?  I had a full auto Micro and sold it.
My Micro UZI blew apart one of my Gemtech MK9K's.  I actually have it on video when it happened but never uploaded online.

This was before Gemtech beefed up the ported area.  I don't think that could happen with the can I have inbound from Curtis Tactical having 17-4 SS baffles vs the aluminum tube of the MK9K.

Picture of my full auto Micro before I sold it.
It had a custom MK9K mount.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Having never had hands on time with an mk9k and only reading up on it, im left with questions.

Is its wheelhouse really only auto sub gun use?

Does something like the 9sd/wolfman come close or not even the same ballpark?

Is an mk9k/phoenix worthwhile on a semi only pcc/subgun?
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Its a subgun can be it semi or full auto. The line really shines in full auto but I'd use it even in semi. That being said its a big can. It comes down to what you want, many will be happy with a much smaller option.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Having never had hands on time with an mk9k and only reading up on it, im left with questions.

Is its wheelhouse really only auto sub gun use?

Does something like the 9sd/wolfman come close or not even the same ballpark?

Is an mk9k/phoenix worthwhile on a semi only pcc/subgun?
View Quote
The MK9K has a lot more volume than most of the new stuff.  It has a deeper tone than most cans.  Some will say that is a detriment as lower frequencies travel further than high frequencies.   Most people have hearing loss where the deeper tone sounds more pleasing to the shooter.  I'm all about that.  I'm not trying to mask my position, this is for my enjoyment when I shoot.

So I think it can be subjective as to hearing the MK9K side by side a modern can.  IME, the old SWR QD3K or Octane 9 both using Omega baffles have a very close deep tone to the MK9K that you would need to hear side by side to tell any difference.  They are very close.  
Where it really helps is in full auto and the larger volume helps so you are not eating as much gas vs the really small stuff.

I am going with this custom hybrid can because I want even shorter than the MK9K but want complete serviceablity that you can't get with the OmegaK or Wolf as they are all welded.  If I had no cans, I personally would be looking at the Rugged Obsidian as it is serviceable.

If you look back in '86, many thought the ban of MG's may have included suppressors.  The MK9K was designed with the outer tube that is not threaded and only held in compression which is the registered part.  This also 'future proofed' this can as you could replace the guts with a more advanced design or in the event of a failure the outer tube would hopefully survive.  (BTW, when my MK9K blew up, outer tube was fine)

With the way the laws are who knows if suppressors get like MG's where no new ones can be transferred to civilians and you are stuck with what is out there.  Sure you could get someone to service a welded can but I'm sure you would have less options for people working on a welded can vs sliding in a new baffle stack.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#23]
It is a very efficient and effective use of a big tube.  The blast chamber telescopes over the baffle stack and the stack itself is a nicely scaled geometry for efficient use of volume relative to gas flow.  This is also a good way to make rimfire suppressors appropriately sized for scale.  Skinny rimfire suppressors don't look right on rimfire SBRs.  I'm surprised this design isn't used more.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

At Gemtech we did use a similar design to the MK-9K in our .22LR can, the G5-22. The mount was a scaled-down version of the G5's bi-lock. The G5-22 can was 1-3/8 OD and about 6" long including the mount.

Looking at the GSL Phoenix manual, the only difference I can see in design is that they used machined shallow cones integrated with the spacers (M-baffles) rather than the originals which were stamped shallow cones and separate spacers. The cone geometry looks to be pretty much the same. The other parts look to be identical to the Gemtech designed MK-9K parts they supplied to us.
View Quote
Didn't try and take them apart but the gsl can isn't as loud as the gemtech mk9k. So the baffle change helped some. Didn't meter the cans but some friends and I shot the two side by side on two full sized mp5s. Even the older mk9k still stands up as an excellent subgun can today though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Some teaser pics of my custom 9k-k...
I had him make me a Bixler mount but he made the threads too short so i have to send it back.  Thank God I had him make it backward compatible with my MK9K mounts.
Pictured below using one of my MK9K 3 lug mounts till I can get the Bixler mount.

CMMG Radially Delayed Blowback in 9mm

Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It appears that enough people have been asking for GSL to do it again calling it the Phoenix....maybe they should call it the Zombie instead since it doesn't want to die.
View Quote
I agree, considering when their rebadge & intro happened........

I'm sure GSL's is a good can, but I'm a little sour about the name they gave it just this year.

{edited to redact my FFL & EIN from photos}
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I just ordered a GSL Phoenix to run on my sear host MP5 and M11/9. I already have several subgun pistol cal cans (Omega 9k's/45k, Tirant 9/9s) and even have the DA Wolfman pending but I don't think any of those will makeup for the volume that Mk9K and Phoenix have especially with f/a and that is the tone I'm going after. I also got suckered into getting their 22LR Pillbox can lol.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote
Apparently Phoenix is a pretty popular name. AAC beat everyone to it about 17 years ago-

Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Apparently Phoenix is a pretty popular name. AAC beat everyone to it about 17 years ago-

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106661/phoenix_JPG-1030924.jpg
View Quote
I wasn't even aware of that one.  I searched the current line up of every manufacturer I could find, large & small, before I settled on it.   I'm sure they had absolutely no idea another manufacturer was using the name, either-especially since I'm very small, low volume at this time.  But we all want notoriety for our own brand, including product names. Oh well.  At least the cans themselves are nothing alike.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Snip
View Quote
Word. Naming stuff is hard. When I was tasked with naming silencers my standard procedure was to just google “silencer + NAME” and if someone else wasn’t using the name I would add it to a list of 6-10 potentials. Then give them to legal for them to research.

The patent and trademark office also has a search engine. It’s difficult to use and looks like it was written in the 90’s but it’s an option as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wasn't even aware of that one.  I searched the current line up of every manufacturer I could find, large & small, before I settled on it.   I'm sure they had absolutely no idea another manufacturer was using the name, either-especially since I'm very small, low volume at this time.  But we all want notoriety for our own brand, including product names. Oh well.  At least the cans themselves are nothing alike.
View Quote
whats the name of your company?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you look back in '86, many thought the ban of MG's may have included suppressors.  The MK9K was designed with the outer tube that is not threaded and only held in compression which is the registered part.  This also 'future proofed' this can as you could replace the guts with a more advanced design or in the event of a failure the outer tube would hopefully survive.  (BTW, when my MK9K blew up, outer tube was fine)
View Quote
You completely nailed it with this post.

I purchased a AWC MK9K from Franks a few years ago and just got the stamp last week. I drove down to GSL and met with Greg who helped me completely disassemble the unit and upgraded it with a new baffle locking ring. Definitely upgradeable and future proof. Love the compression design. I still have yet to shoot it :(

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Saving up for one now. Just bought a PTR 9C and I was going to Form 1 my own can.  Nothing I have seen in the roll your own parts market can even come close to the Phoenix in sound level reduction.   Not going to throw away hundreds of $$$ on the Form 1 route.    Hopefully I can place the order soon so I can start my 12+ month prison sentence.

Once I funds in hand, I've got to call and see if I can order direct and ship to the FFL and save on sales tax.  If I have my local dealer order it, I'm looking at adding $80 to the cost.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Saving up for one now. Just bought a PTR 9C and I was going to Form 1 my own can.  Nothing I have seen in the roll your own parts market can even come close to the Phoenix in sound level reduction.   Not going to throw away hundreds of $$$ on the Form 1 route.    Hopefully I can place the order soon so I can start my 12+ month prison sentence.

Once I funds in hand, I've got to call and see if I can order direct and ship to the FFL and save on sales tax.  If I have my local dealer order it, I'm looking at adding $80 to the cost.
View Quote
I've have a dealer quote it for you as well. If you buy direct from GSL they will charge full msrp due to agreements with some of their dealers(so they will not undercut them). GSL will however give your dealer a discounted price even if they only order one suppressor. So when I went to order my first gsl can(a gt556) they told me openly to that it would probability be cheaper to have the dealer order it. Ended up being cheaper vs buying the can myself and paying a transfer. He ended up ordering two of the phoenix cans when they released them, one for me and he decided he wanted one as well. He told me they gave him a better price on his as a demo can.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I called the only dealer listed near me and he told me since they don’t buy a lot of them it would be full MSRP.  Got another dealer across the state I might check with or stop in to PSA and see if they could purchase and transfer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you buy direct from GSL they will charge full msrp due to agreements with some of their dealers(so they will not undercut them).
View Quote
Good info. Thanks.

Who is GSL's biggest dealer?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve always thought that a coaxial design would be a good Form 1 build.  Maybe something you get to bare minimum functional status and then have a SOT rebuild it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I called the only dealer listed near me and he told me since they don't buy a lot of them it would be full MSRP.  Got another dealer across the state I might check with or stop in to PSA and see if they could purchase and transfer.
View Quote
As a huge MK9K fan and the owner of THREE MK9K's, I highly recommend that you contact Curtis Tactical to get one like I had made.

Pictured below is one of my MK9K's on the left, clone but beefed up ported area in the middle and my new stainless Curtis Tactical can that is completely serviceable with backward compatible MK9K mounts.

The latest Phoenix design by GSL is finally user serviceable but they are using an aluminum inner tube and outer tube and aluminum baffles.  So you can't use harsh chemicals or put it in an ultrasonic tank.

My Curtis Tactical can uses 17-4 SS baffles that are threaded together so no issues w/ chemicals or a heated ultrasonic tank.  Being threaded also eliminates the inner tube.  Outer tube and endcaps are Titanium.  It is lighter than my MK9K's, shorter and less limitations to service it.  The allen wrench endcap is a nice touch as well as having him put wrench flats on the breach side so can easily apply torque if needed.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/1XkvAhaZldw

Note that I had the Go Pro closer to the shorty. Now that I'm watching the video, it sounds deeper but actually being there, couldn't really hear a difference.

With the GoPro software, I chose the option for a Youtube video.  When I chose the option for HD video, they sound the same which is strange.

Regardless, me and my friend both couldn't tell a difference.  I know Joe at Curtis Tactical already has some guys lined up to make copies of what I had made, at least one guy wants one longer than mine for maximum suppression although I personally wouldn't do that since I can't tell the difference but then again I'm half deaf as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've have a dealer quote it for you as well. If you buy direct from GSL they will charge full msrp due to agreements with some of their dealers(so they will not undercut them). GSL will however give your dealer a discounted price even if they only order one suppressor. So when I went to order my first gsl can(a gt556) they told me openly to that it would probability be cheaper to have the dealer order it. Ended up being cheaper vs buying the can myself and paying a transfer. He ended up ordering two of the phoenix cans when they released them, one for me and he decided he wanted one as well. He told me they gave him a better price on his as a demo can.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I checked with the other dealer in the state and they are knocking $100 off MSRP.  Basically covers state sales tax + a little more.   And he does ALL the Form 4 stuff.  He said just show up with cash and he'll do my finger prints and photos.  Now I'm just trying to sell my soul to get this on order and start the wait.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The latest Phoenix design by GSL is finally user serviceable but they are using an aluminum inner tube and outer tube and aluminum baffles.  So you can't use harsh chemicals or put it in an ultrasonic tank.
View Quote
With said, I have been using an L&R ultrasonic with their solution for all my cans for over 15 years and no issues. I also use steel pins in my Dillion Brass tumbler to clean baffles, again no issues.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
With said, I have been using an L&R ultrasonic with their solution for all my cans for over 15 years and no issues. I also use steel pins in my Dillion Brass tumbler to clean baffles, again no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you saying that you put your Mk9k in the ultrasonic also?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I might call one of the dealers from the website to get a price.  Have any of you guys got them cheaper than the 850 msrp?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I might call one of the dealers from the website to get a price.  Have any of you guys got them cheaper than the 850 msrp?
View Quote
@Dirty_Robster

Read my post just above yours.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are you saying that you put your Mk9k in the ultrasonic also?
View Quote
Yes, everything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
My local dealer got dealer pricing from them and sold me the can for like 100 under msrp including his markup. I think he had ordered one can before that(a gt556 that he ordered for me) and on that order he ordered two phoenix cans, one for me and one for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top