Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2024 1:11:11 PM EDT
So, I have been using Darn Tough's Lightweight and Midweight military line of socks for a long time now, but for the last couple of months I've been using Darn Tough's Ultralightweight running socks for running (5ks and 10k distances) and they are great.  So, this got to me thinking about whether ultra light weight socks would hold up to rucking during the summer.

Has anyone used an Ultra Lightweight sock for rucking and if so what brand of sock did you use? Did they hold up at all and did they offer enough protection for your foot?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
So, I have been using Darn Tough's Lightweight and Midweight military line of socks for a long time now, but for the last couple of months I've been using Darn Tough's Ultralightweight running socks for running (5ks and 10k distances) and they are great.  So, this got to me thinking about whether ultra light weight socks would hold up to rucking during the summer.

Has anyone used an Ultra Lightweight sock for rucking and if so what brand of sock did you use? Did they hold up at all and did they offer enough protection for your foot?

Thanks.

View Quote

They don't last as long.  How much difference, I'm not sure.  

Never used them for heavy rucking.  I tried a pair for backpacking.  I just use regular ones now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
@Kaer I used to use them for running.  I’d wear holes in them in less than 6 months.  I was only running 3x week for maybe 5 miles a go.

I’ve been using the goruck socks lately & they seem lighter than my darn tough tough ones.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bdover:
@Kaer I used to use them for running.  I’d wear holes in them in less than 6 months.  I was only running 3x week for maybe 5 miles a go.

I’ve been using the goruck socks lately & they seem lighter than my darn tough tough ones.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I should try those socks from GoRuck.  I just bought the MACV2 boots, they're supposed to arrive today and then I'm going to start the break-in process.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 1:03:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#4]
Everyone has different feet. Not sure there is one correct answer.

I like thicker socks. I use Fox River socks, as they seem like a less cringe company to give many to. However, I would use darn tough socks if they were the only option to keep my feet healthy. They make very nice socks,
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice timing on the thread OP. Went to look at more socks to buy and there is a sale!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, probably a few good Memorial Day sales going on for tactical gear stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear CloudLine light cushion

I’ve been wearing them daily for 4 years for everything to include rucking

Love them
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Varusteleka has a lot of affordable Merino wool offerings. I just got a couple pairs- one lightweight, one medium padded- and I really like them.

Adidas synthetic socks are great for hot weather wear. The elastic on the gray ones seems to last longer than the black, or so it seems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few other good sock companies out there.  I'm trying to remember the name, but there are at least two more no one has mentioned that make pretty good socks, according to some of my backpacking friends.  They compare them to Darn Tough.  They're about the same price.  

It's definitely true that we all have different feet and different things work for each of us.  It's nice knowing which ones to try though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Amazon will blend socks that I wear to work, Point 6 socks that have been great, but my favorite are my buffalo wool socks. I am going to get some of their lighter weight socks for summer because they are warm !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top