Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/18/2021 6:06:46 PM EDT
For whatever reason, despite many years of being a gun and knife enthusiast and having brothers and friends that hunt and fish, I’ve never hunted and only fished very little.

I’m making my mission to take up both this year starting with turkey and fishing in the very near future. I’d like to add duck, goose and deer to that late 2021.

My area is shotgun only. I have a Beretta A300 I’ll use.

I’d like to eventually travel out of my area to rifle area possibly once or twice next winter and want to pick up a bolt gun, rings, optic and optic to use and practice with until that time.

Looking for suggestions on a good quality set up that is considered budget. Maybe $500 gun. I wish I could go higher to Bergara or something but I doubt I can. Optic maybe vortex or leupold? Rings and sling I’m clueless.
I’m in New York so I’d go upstate or maybe PA if possible.

Caliber I’m told 7mm-08 is a good choice. Recoil is mild and it’s popular but not enough to be gone from the shelves.

What does everyone think?

Rich

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
NY ribbing aside, the Ruger American series is an extremely solid bet.  The aftermarket is supportive if there are features you don't like, and before all the lockdown madness I thought I saw some scope package deals in your price range.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How about the Thomson Center Compass or Venture? Are they as good as the Ruger?
7mm-08 a smart way to go ?

I see the factory Ruger combos come with a 3-9 or 4-12 Vortex Crossfire. Garbage or pretty good? 3-9 and American has a $639 msrp
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Just about every gun manufacturer is making a decent entry-level bolt gun.  Recommend you go to several big-box stores like Sports Academy, Academy Outdoors, etc, and handle several.  Check the stock fit, safety location, quality of the magazine, and especially the quality of the mag release.  
Get the gun that fits you best.  The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge, but ammo is always difficult to find and bullet selection is limited.  You might look at a different caliber.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other calibers you’d suggest? Good and powerful enough for the northeast without punishing recoil?

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any other calibers you’d suggest? Good and powerful enough for the northeast without punishing recoil?

View Quote

308 win, 6.5CM
Excellent bullet selection (during non crazy times) and mild recoil.

30-06 is another good one but is on the higher end for recoil sensitive people
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My first thought was .308. It’s recoil is fine and it’s well proven but I kind of figured it’d be impossible to find as of 2020-2021. 6.5 too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Fbuckshot pretty will hit the nail on the head.

Thompson Center, Ruger, Savage, etc., are all making solid entry level rifles that produce sub-MOA groups.  Go and check some out if you can and just see what you like the most.  Hard to go wrong with a Ruger American, though.

7mm-08 is a fine choice.  .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are as well.  25-06 is even a good round, albeit not as popular as the others.

.308 is actually still pretty available and honestly the ammo prices aren't terrible for it either compared to some of the other stuff like 6.5 Creedmoor, some of the large magnum hunting rounds, etc
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you guys so much. Got it. I’ll start hitting up local shops this weekend to get my research started.

Decent pick for rings and optic on a tight budget?

Also, I suppose just like your carry pistol, you get the ammo that’s really good at terminating efficiently and costs more and practice with the cheaper stuff, but is there such a thing as practice or range ammo that’s cheaper in these hunting calibers?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you guys so much. Got it. I’ll start hitting up local shops this weekend to get my research started.

Decent pick for rings and optic on a tight budget?

Also, I suppose just like your carry pistol, you get the ammo that’s really good at terminating efficiently and costs more and practice with the cheaper stuff, but is there such a thing as practice or range ammo that’s cheaper in these hunting calibers?
View Quote

What's your budget for the optic?

Midway has the Crimson Trace 3 and 5 series scopes on sale for massive discounts because they're being discontinued due to a new lineup from CT.  The CTL-3420 is an absolutely badass scope.  It's made in Japan with HD glass, illuminated FFP reticle, and great build quality.  The price is literally a steal for a Japanese optic.  Here is the link to it: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619264?pid=133422

The Viper PST Gen II is also on sale at EuroOptic.  Another great scope, but not as nice as the Crimson Trace, IMO.  But this is still a great deal for Viper PST: https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-3-15x44-EBR-2D-MRAD-FFP-PST-3157.aspx

...and yeah you are on the right track.  Everyone does things a little differently.  I like to use the premium, high ballistic coefficient ammo for hunting.  What I do is buy a box of cheaper ammo when I need to sight my gun in and get my zero close with the cheap ammo, then I move to the premium stuff for setting the final zero.  When I practice or do anything after that point I continue to use the premium ammo just because that is what I am mainly shooting.  You can always make a note of your zero with the premium stuff and move to the cheaper stuff and practice at longer shots or whatever with that.  And honestly you don't necessarily even need the premium high grade stuff for hunting.  Cheaper ammo like Federal Power Shok and whatnot work perfectly fine as well.  It's more just based off preference.

As for rings I use the Vortex Pros.  They're pretty nice budget friendly rings, IMO: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020789393

I have those on top of my 6.5 Creedmoor, then I have some heavier duty Leupold rings on my 7mm Rem Mag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Those all look great. Excellent info too. What height rings for one of those optics on a Ruger American?

I was thinking maybe $300 but I don’t want to get crap. I’ll bump that up a little then. I was thinking 1-8, 2-10, 1-6, 2-7. Somewhere in there.

Does Leupold not have the same quality in the price range?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those all look great. Excellent info too. What height rings for one of those optics on a Ruger American?

I was thinking maybe $300 but I don’t want to get crap. I’ll bump that up a little then. I was thinking 1-8, 2-10, 1-6, 2-7. Somewhere in there.

Does Leupold not have the same quality in the price range?
View Quote

Medium height rings should be more than enough for those optics.  I have the high rings on my 6.5 Creedmoor that has that Crimson Trace optic on it and they work good, but looking back on it the medium rings would have been more than adequate.

I'd go at least 2-10 on a .308 hunting rifle.  3-12, IMO, is just about perfect.  You could always go higher as well but 3-12 is the perfect magnification range for a .308 or 7-08.

If you want to go down in price slightly EuroOptic also has the Vortex Razor HD LH on sale for $429 in the 2-10 range.  These are the Razor hunting line of scopes and have Razor quality glass which is even nicer than the Crimson Trace glass, but they have 1" tubes, a non-illuminated reticle, and are second focal plane.  But for hunting they work perfectly well.  https://www.eurooptic.com/RZR-1558-Razor-HD-LH-2-10x40-Riflescope-with-HSR-4---RZR-155.aspx

There's actually a lot of decent scopes in your budget if you don't want to move up to the Razor HD LH, Crimson Trace, or Viper PST.

Here's some good ones:
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40
Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44

I know the optics above are higher than you want in magnification, but the deals right now seem to be more prevalent on higher magnification optics vs. LPVOs.

...and as for rings Leupold does offer quite a few variants.  Honestly, though, in my experience I prefer Vortex rings to Leupold.  Leupold rings seem to be somewhat hit and miss.  The ones on my Browning X-Bolt are good, but the ones on my Ruger No. 1 are kind of junky and one of the rings wouldn't tighten all the way into the dovetail.  I had to torque it down to the point I was nervous about damage to the rail to get it to actually hold.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent. Lots of great options. I mentioned low power because I always hear hunting distance in the NY and PA area tend to be shorter. If higher is better I’ll go there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#13]
There’s the 4-12 diamondback for $199. Regular turrets. Any good?
Display model is $139!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
My two cents worth.

Times are crazy now of course , don't overlook a used gun . In general bolt guns do a lot of sitting in the back of a safe or closet and don't get shot a whole lot.

7mm-08 is fine but ammo selection is going to be far less than 30/06 , 308 and so forth . Also it is a long cartridge which is likely more than the OP really needs.

308 is a winner and myself I am a huge fan of 243 . 243 gets a bad rap as being a woman's and kids cartridge but while fairly light on recoil it is absolutely fine for deer.

In new guns the package deals with scope and mounts can be a pretty good deal but the scopes trend towards the budget end of quality . Useable but not the greatest.

Put the word out with friends , family and co-workers that you are looking for a  hunting rifle and you could be pleasantly surprised at what appears. Don't shy away from a older lever gun either , not the same as a bolt but still great for many types of hunting and a total hoot as a range gun.

Don't get yourself all worked up as far as brand and caliber , consider whatever comes along , it is not so much the caliber as haw the hunter has taught himself to use what gun he has.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Well put and great ideas! For lever I assume go for 3030 or other rifle calibers are better overall than 357/44.

Another option is I buy a 2nd shotgun. One meant for deer. Stay local my first year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There’s the 4-12 diamondback for $199. Regular turrets. Any good?
Display model is $139!
View Quote

Yep!  Diamondbacks are good budget friendly hunting scopes.

I'll also agree with the previous poster that .243 is another solid option.  The Ruger American has a 1-9" twist on the .243 rather than the typical 1-10".  This allows you to use the heavier 105gr or larger bullets.  The cool thing about .243 is you can use 100gr pills for deer, then jump down to 55gr rounds for varmints if that's your thing.  It's a very, very versatile cartridge.  Another good option is the 6mm Creedmoor which is also a .243 diameter bullet, and with that you can move up to even heavier stuff due to the 1-8" twists like the 115gr rounds.  And because the 6mm is more of a niche round ammo availability is actually quite good online and the prices haven't gone up too much.  It's also catching on in popularity which never hurts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#17]
You can add Howa to your "buy on a deal" list. Solid rifles
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Visited the small local shop. There’s another to go to that’s a little bit of a ride. Another day.

They had a savage 110 with vortex Crossfire. .308. About $750-800

They had a tikka t3x lite in wood and stainless and it was really nice but $1200. .243

Christiansen Arms 6.5mm in carbon fiber was incredible but $2100. Ouch.

Remington versamax turkey gun I could use for double duty on deer locally. $1350

Savage 212 bolt action 12G. Didn’t catch price but I think like $700.

My dilemma is do I stick with shotguns? Until I’ve hunted locally a bit? Or do I use my a300 28” for everything locally despite maybe not being ideal for deer and turkey, and get a bolt for target and once or twice a year trips.

Wish I never looked at the Christiansen or Tikka but the savage 212 and versamax were really sweet too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Visited the small local shop. There’s another to go to that’s a little bit of a ride. Another day.

They had a savage 110 with vortex Crossfire. .308. About $750-800

They had a tikka t3x lite in wood and stainless and it was really nice but $1200. .243

Christiansen Arms 6.5mm in carbon fiber was incredible but $2100. Ouch.

Remington versamax turkey gun I could use for double duty on deer locally. $1350

Savage 212 bolt action 12G. Didn’t catch price but I think like $700.

My dilemma is do I stick with shotguns? Until I’ve hunted locally a bit? Or do I use my a300 28” for everything locally despite maybe not being ideal for deer and turkey, and get a bolt for target and once or twice a year trips.

Wish I never looked at the Christiansen or Tikka but the savage 212 and versamax were really sweet too.
View Quote

Honestly I'd feel them and run the action and see what you like most.  The Tikka is a little nicer overall than the Savage, but the Savage is still a great gun!  The good thing is going the bolt route lets you target practice then you have something for OOS hunting.  But this is all based on how you feel.  I had an A400 and I have a Benelli Super Vinci as well.  I don't know that I'd use those shotguns for deer.  I'd keep the A300 for fowl and get the 212 for deer if you don't feel like getting a centerfire bolt rifle.  But that's me.  At the end of the day only you can make a decision and only you know what you're most comfortable with.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the idea of the bolt gun. I do. It’s what I really want but I have enough for one gun and I’m trying to be practical too. Very easy for me to buy something on a whim.

Would you use the a300 for turkey then? I was going to use it for waterfowl and then covering local turkey and deer is the next issue. Even if I don’t get a rifle, I’d need to have all 3 seasons covered locally and we can only use shotgun.

That’s the tough part. A300 for waterfowl. Then maybe 212 for deer. But turkey?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Don’t overlook the browning AB3. DNZ medium one piece mount and a leupold vx freedom.

Thompson Center has a nice weather resistant bolt gun called the venture also.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For whatever reason, despite many years of being a gun and knife enthusiast and having brothers and friends that hunt and fish, I’ve never hunted and only fished very little.

I’m making my mission to take up both this year starting with turkey and fishing in the very near future. I’d like to add duck, goose and deer to that late 2021.

My area is shotgun only. I have a Beretta A300 I’ll use.

I’d like to eventually travel out of my area to rifle area possibly once or twice next winter and want to pick up a bolt gun, rings, optic and optic to use and practice with until that time.

Looking for suggestions on a good quality set up that is considered budget. Maybe $500 gun. I wish I could go higher to Bergara or something but I doubt I can. Optic maybe vortex or leupold? Rings and sling I’m clueless.
I’m in New York so I’d go upstate or maybe PA if possible.

Caliber I’m told 7mm-08 is a good choice. Recoil is mild and it’s popular but not enough to be gone from the shelves.

What does everyone think?

Rich

View Quote

Standard Manufacturing has some nice bolt guns on sale, Mauser, Bergara, and the one I ordered a Sauer 100XT in 6.5 Creedmoor.

STD MFG

The Sauer is up to $599, was $499 last week.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
That’s a beautiful gun! Little scared of blueing but damn it’s sweet.
Bergara is $549 too. Wow.
I’ve got to nail down whether I want something deer specific in my area, or if I will use my a300 for everything local and buy a rifle. For $600 it seems there are some great rifles to be had. For $700-1000 I can have a fantastic set up it looks like.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m going to use my A300 for all things locally and continue to pursue a bolt. Not ideal for the a300 covering all bases but it’ll do for now

Liking the looks of that Sauer and the bergara. If I can’t stretch that far, maybe I’ll grab that savage combo and one day upgrade the Chinese optic.

I do have one other shop to visit locally.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m going to use my A300 for all things locally and continue to pursue a bolt. Not ideal for the a300 covering all bases but it’ll do for now

Liking the looks of that Sauer and the bergara. If I can’t stretch that far, maybe I’ll grab that savage combo and one day upgrade the Chinese optic.

I do have one other shop to visit locally.
View Quote

Read the reviews on the Sauer, it sounds like a lot of rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#26]
That’s what I was actually doing right this minute. Between it and the Bergara I’m baffled.

Anyone here buy a rifle and scope it later? I feel like the Sauer deserves really good glass I couldn’t afford right now. Or am I wrong about that?

Bergara vs Sauer. $50 difference. What’s the better choice of the 2 and is it a sin to put an inexpensive optic on there to start with? If so I’ll be fine waiting on the optic.

My only fear is the bluing getting rusted and always being on its maintenance
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That’s what I was actually doing right this minute. Between it and the Bergara I’m baffled.

Anyone here buy a rifle and scope it later? I feel like the Sauer deserves really good glass I couldn’t afford right now. Or am I wrong about that?

Bergara vs Sauer. $50 difference. What’s the better choice of the 2 and is it a sin to put an inexpensive optic on there to start with? If so I’ll be fine waiting on the optic.

My only fear is the bluing getting rusted and always being on its maintenance
View Quote

Nearly all guns were blued when I was a kid.  We wiped them down after use and didn’t have any problems.  As far as a scope, the bolt on and off pretty easily. Get a spare set of rings and you can swap back and forth.  I’ve got a Nikon pro staff I plan to put on my Sauer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Is choosing between a Bergara and a Sauer so close, I can’t make a wrong pick here?

Side note, I’ve discovered the Bergara Wilderness Ridge and man does it look nice. $950 though. Yikes.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is choosing between a Bergara and a Sauer so close, I can’t make a wrong pick here?

Side note, I’ve discovered the Bergara Wilderness Ridge and man does it look nice. $950 though. Yikes.

View Quote

Sauer is a nicer rifle than the Bergara, IMO.  Ignore them both, though.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-A7-Big-Game-6-5-Creedmoor-26-1-8-Fluted-Barrel-Rifle-Roughtech-Stock-JRMBG82TB.aspx

You're not going to beat a sub $1,000 Sako.  That's the cream of the crop right there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#30]
That’s really damn nice! 8lbs. 24”. Sako. $900. Sounds amazing.

I’ll make my decision very soon.

I may choose the Sauer based on my financial reality but the Sako is going to haunt me.

She will live without rings or optic for awhile but that’s ok (sort of)

Just saw the sako on another site in .308 and 06 for $799

Or the 6.5 on the other site for $899

Is the 6.5 worth $100 more?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
The more I look the more I hear, “if you bump up your allowance you could get X rifle”

Nosler
Christiansen Mesa.

Aagghhh
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#32]
If you're just wanting a bolt gun you are better served with one of the entry level guns like the Ruger, Howa, Savage, etc.

You can get into the gun, scope, rings, mounts and a little ammo and still be well south of $1k.

Premium brands are nice and better guns for sure, but you'll have to increase your budget by 50-100% to do that, and if you don't have a specific purpose for it that doesn't make economic sense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#33]
You’re probably right. I could probably grab that savage with the 3-9 Vortex Crossfire. Run it for a while. Sell the crossfire later and put something better on top. I’d rather start off with a better optic but it’s turn key. Makes it easy.

That or the Sauer is pretty inexpensive. Add a vortex that’s a little better than the crossfire.

The shop did have a Howa. I didn’t pay much attention as it felt pretty heavy. I’ll keep my eye out for more of them too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll follow up bgenlvtex and mention the Weatherby Vanguard as well.  They're exceptional rifles and are made by Howa for Weatherby using Weatherby's specs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I just saw a $750 rifle show down and weatherby and Bergara were the top 2

Looking at some of the savage and Ruger models, they aren’t all that much cheaper than the Sauer and if I went 308, only a couple hundred more.

The one spot you get your least money spent is on the savage or Ruger and Chinese vortex combos. Those are pretty dang cheap. I can get that savage and crossfire for $750. It’s $599 for the Sauer and 799 for the 308 sako.

I’ll go look at Weatherby. The first Light model looks good. $890 though. I’ll look more. Sportsman’s didn’t have a lot.

Caliber wise it seems 308 and 6.5 are close enough for me. One thing I like about 6.5 is it has less recoil. One good thing about 308 is it’s cheaper and more available.

I thought this was going to be easy. I was so close to ordering the sako in 308 or the Sauer in 6.5.

Ugh.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Since you don't seem to be a fan of bluing I'd look at the Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard if you want to go that route.  It is the stainless/synthetic stocked version.

As for which to get... it all depends on you.  I am a buy once cry once person.  Quite frankly I'd get the $799 Sako and put rings/scopes on it later like you mentioned.  You already seem drawn to it.  It's not a good feeling to buy a gun then change your mind and wish you bought a different one instead.  The Sako is just way better than everything else around that price point.  Yeah it's a bit more expensive, but it's a hell of a deal for a Sako and you're getting your money's worth two times over buying it at that price.

But at the end of the day it's always up to you.  Only you know your financials, what you can afford to get away with and what you can't, and what works best for you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#37]
What Howa rifles should I be looking at?
How are the Weatherby First Lite and Meateater rifles? Gimmicky? Weatherby does seem great.
Tikka?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What Howa rifles should I be looking at?
How are the Weatherby First Lite and Meateater rifles? Gimmicky? Weatherby does seem great.
Tikka?
View Quote

Tikka is an accurate gun but used to be known for less velocity because of chamber design. Also known for crappy composite stocks on entry level gun.  May have been fixed on T3x.

Weatherby makes an awesome rifle. Howa too.

I just did a ton of research and ended up with a Browning X-bolt. I bought for looks.

You would be better served with a Basic rifle and a very quality scope.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#39]
There’s a 308 Ruger American I spotted for $440 in black

There’s also their American Go Wild model for like $589 with camo and bronze cerakote. Wasn’t sure if it was worth the extra. I hate settling but may have to. If I do I want to pick the best I can.

Go wild adds camo pattern, AI pattern mag and a factory muzzle brake at about $150 premium to the regular American. I’m kind of tempted by that package actually.

What’s a good Howa? The HS precession model looks good. Getting into the $800 area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
CDNN has the T/C Venture weather guard in 6.5 Creed for $399, and the blued compass for $50 less.

T/C at CDNN
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn that’s pretty cheap. My brother loves the compass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd buy that Venture Weathershield and never look back and it appears to have bases installed.

Edit for accuracy
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#43]
That good for the money huh? Step ahead of the Ruger ? Not as handsome as others but that doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That good for the money huh? Step ahead of the Ruger ? Not as handsome as others but that doesn’t matter.
View Quote

Thompson Center makes excellent barrels
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd buy that Venture Weathershield and never look back and it appears to have bases installed.

Edit for accuracy
View Quote

It’s the older model, there is a Venture II that has a better trigger.   I still think this one at CDNN is a great buy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It’s the older model, there is a Venture II that has a better trigger.   I still think this one at CDNN is a great buy.
View Quote

$12.95 trigger upgrade
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#47]
If you can go higher than $500, Tikkas are a solid bet.  The Tikka Battue has irons, no optic necessary for a while.

I'm just waiting on a check from some consignments before I order a Sako, though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Which Sako are you getting? A7?  Battue looks awesome. $1000+. I like bolts with irons.

First Lite Weatherby?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Which Sako are you getting? A7?  Battue looks awesome. $1000+. I like bolts with irons.

First Lite Weatherby?
View Quote
I'm planning to buy a Sako 85 Bavarian or Bavarian Carbine.  I like the features, I like the aesthetic, I like the quality, and it's been a grail gun of mine for about 15 years.  Downside is that it's apparently produced in small quantities in unknown timeframes, so it's a little hard to source.  It'll be a $2200+ rifle before optics, but is one I plan to keep, use afield, and pass along to my son, if it shoots as well as the last Sako I fired.

I won't own a rifle without irons on it, but that's just my own quirk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow that’s a beautiful gun.

I used to have an interest in the 30-06 Ruger Guide Gun. Over 8lbs before optic though. Has a brake.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top