BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow that's a beautiful gun.

I used to have an interest in the 30-06 Ruger Guide Gun. Over 8lbs before optic though. Has a brake.
View Quote
I enjoy my Ruger Scout rifle.  Mine shoots about 1 MOA with Winchester Silvertip 165gr, which is exemplary for a Ruger.  Historically, Rugers have been known for durability more than accuracy, but they're starting to turn that around (American, Precision Rifles, long range rifles).

Tikkas and Sakos are guaranteed to shoot 3 and 5 shot MOA groups (respectively), so basically any rifle they make will shoot as well as my "shoots great" Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to keep bugging everyone...

Shop said the savage/crossfire pkg is $725 not $750 and they’d lower it.

They had a Steyr Scout which is really cool but doesn’t seem like a hunting rifle. It is something I’d love to own one day having said that. Is this a bad idea as a hunter? I’d assume so.

They also had a Full Dip Howa 1500 with threaded bull bbl. seems very heavy until I shouldered it. Very well balanced. Good trigger. Action felt good. Detachable mag but also comes with bottom metal and a Buffalo River bipod. $975 which is expensive but he said he’d lower the price. If I can get the price down a bit that’s be nice.

Not sure if the Howa would be a poor choice for the field with that bull bbl but it balanced so good idk. Could double as a bench rifle. 9.35lbs
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sorry to keep bugging everyone...

Shop said the savage/crossfire pkg is $725 not $750 and they'd lower it.

They had a Steyr Scout which is really cool but doesn't seem like a hunting rifle. It is something I'd love to own one day having said that. Is this a bad idea as a hunter? I'd assume so.

They also had a Full Dip Howa 1500 with threaded bull bbl. seems very heavy until I shouldered it. Very well balanced. Good trigger. Action felt good. Detachable mag but also comes with bottom metal and a Buffalo River bipod. $975 which is expensive but he said he'd lower the price. If I can get the price down a bit that's be nice.

Not sure if the Howa would be a poor choice for the field with that bull bbl but it balanced so good idk. Could double as a bench rifle. 9.35lbs
View Quote
Is that similar to this crossfire package for $579?  Granted COVID had caused the price on everything to go insane.

Scout rifles aren't bad hunting guns if it fits your needs.  The Steyr Scout is a great rifle with the integrated bipod and flexibility for forward or traditional mounted scope locations, but it's a bit non traditional.  Ignore the "nazi/dinosaur hunter Jeff Cooper acolyte" nonsense and look at it objectively to see if it meets your needs.  What was the price, and which caliber?   10 or 5 round mags?  What caliber?

Howa has traditionally been a great value.  What magazine pattern on that one?  I personally wouldn't want to hump a 9 pound rifle in the woods, but that's entirely based on my own experiences and the topography of where I hunt. And the fact that I probably need to hit the gym more often .   But it sounds like it would be a great rifle for some range fun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s the same savage package. I bet I could get him down to $675 or maybe $725 after tax. Online I’d have to pay shipping and a $35 transfer so I’d save like $80 that way. Sometimes nice helping the local guy as long as it isn’t too bad getting ripped off lol

To be honest, I tend to want things that I buy to be very flexible and have a hard time with specialty items so I’m a way the GP rifle is a good thing (Steyr). It was $1700. Guessing I could get that down $100. Fluted bbl .308 with 5rd mags. As far as Cooper I never really think about him with any firearms I look into. He wasn’t a factor.

The Howa is a bit heavy honestly. Good balance while shouldering but probably 11lbs after optic. You’re right, fun range rifle. If fairly stationary it’s fine but if walking a lot it’d possibly get rough. It had I think 3rd mags. Maybe 4. Not sure of the pattern of mag. Was $975 but again I could possibly get him down a bit.

I too am way out of shape. Skinny but 45 and haven’t exercised in way too long.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I was also pricing out the sako a7 and vortex pst 3-15 (maybe too much magnification) and rings and it’s like $1600. Similar to the Steyr with no optic.

But for either of those it’s a major stretch.

For whatever reason I won’t let my self accept the obvious cheap way into the door; the savage combo. It’s just so blah to me. It was balanced and light enough and I’m sure it’d be fine but super boring. Whatever that means.

One thing I should mention;

If the Howa wasn’t so heavy with that bull bbl, I liked its trigger and action. If it had a different contour, was weather resistant and was around 7-7.5lbs sharing that same action and trigger I’d have been really close to buying. I don’t know which Howa it is that meets that criteria but I’d like to know
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was also pricing out the sako a7 ... and it's like $1600. Similar to the Steyr with no optic.

But for either of those it's a major stretch.

For whatever reason I won't let my self accept the obvious cheap way into the door...

...I liked its trigger and action. If it had a different contour, was weather resistant and was around 7-7.5lbs sharing that same action and trigger I'd have been really close to buying. ...
View Quote
Tikka T3X Lite Stainless rifles can start at $799, and are about 7 pounds with a great action and trigger.  They can be had for $779 if the right store is nearby.  You could get a decent starter scope and still be under $1000, but have a rifle it sounds like you might be plenty happy with (if you like hunting).

Granted, I like them because I've seen them
and used to sell them for a living.  It's a lot harder to explain how they feel if you don't have one to examine.  So I'll admit I'm somewhat biased.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
They had a stainless one with a wood stock in .243 that I believe sold. It was super nice. Action and trigger. Fit and finish. They were asking $1200 which is $150 too much, but it was beautiful.

As long as I stay away from Superlight, recoil is average ? I have heard Tikkas tend to smack you a little harder which I didn’t understand unless they meant Superlight.

I could snag a Tikka and a cheap vortex and rings for now and upgrade the optic later. For later I was looking at a 2-10 and a 3.5-15 Vortex. The latter I notice was 1lb 12oz. The for 1lb 2 oz.

Another thing, I’ve been told I should step up to 308. That 6.5 should be fine for NY white tail but if I ever want to go further, 308 would cover more bases without more cost or much more recoil.

Accurate or bologna?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]
$799 Sako + $450 Viper PS-T Gen 1

$1,250 for the rifle and scope
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, getting close to doing that. I need a week to afford that. The $799 .308 Sako sold out, so if I’m going Sako, it’d have to be $899 and in 6.5 and pray it doesn’t sell out. I also hope 6.5 is all good haha I’m sure it is.

Since it’s 8lbs, hoping to keep the scope weight down.

Zeebz, you don’t think that’s too much scope for 50-300 yards in the field?  I know it’s be better for groups and my crappy eyes, so it’s a big plus.
Europtic suggested a Vortex PST 3-15 and I was worried even that was too much but I know nothing.

Also, would you be using the Vortex Pro rings on this set up in medium?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Honestly, getting close to doing that. I need a week to afford that. The $799 .308 Sako sold out, so if I’m going Sako, it’d have to be $899 and in 6.5 and pray it doesn’t sell out. I also hope 6.5 is all good haha I’m sure it is.

Zeebz, you don’t think that’s too much scope for 50-300 yards in the field?  I know it’s be better for groups and my crappy eyes, so it’s a big plus.
Europtic suggested a Vortex PST 3-15 and I was worried even that was too much but I know nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can swing the price on the Sako A7 it is a fantastic rifle. The moment I picked up one I lost interest in anything else. Super smooth bolt, perfect fitting stock, great balance. Mine is .30-06. Note that magazines are about $85 each. But it is a an absolute perfect rifle. All Sako and Tikka have very accurate off the shelf barrels. Some brands it is hit or miss. I have a Tikka in 6.5x55 and the A7 in .30-06. The A7 has some definite upgrades, while the Tikka is a legend in its own right. I would possibly sell my other bolt guns but never the A7.

You cannot go wrong with the Bergara, Tikka or Sako and I would assume the Saur. The Bergara and Tikka probably have the most aftermarket options.

You can get decent Leupold and Vortex scopes around $250. For hunting in denser woods I prefer the 2-7x. You want a low low end for hunting woods so you can bring the rifle to your eye and quickly orient and sight the animal. If the low end is too high of magnification you have a narrow field of view you can lose a second or two trying to find the animal in the scope. If the animal is further away and you need more magnification then you likely have a couple of seconds to dial it up.

Also I am not a fan of huge objectives like 50-55mm. More weight and rarely needed with the common magnification range used for hunting. The height of your rings depends mostly on the size of the objective. With a 42mm you can usual get by with medium rings. With high rings on a 55mm scope you may not have as good a cheek weld. Something to try out at the gun store.

A 2-7x32 or 2-10x33 or 40mm is about ideal I think for woods hunting. At 200 yds the game will look like it is 20-30 yds! That is usually plenty.

In open fields you may want 3-12x42. At 300 yds the scope image looks like it is at 25 yds. On 12x.

I would be cautious of getting a 4-16x or greater scope for woods and clearings hunting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#11]
@RockNwood Thank you. Lots of great info. Do you think I’m all good with 6.5 on whitetail at those distances? Is it wise to go bigger or is that adequate?

@Zeebz Have you received your Sauer? How is it?

@Seven-shooter Did you receive your Bavarian? Sent you a couple messages.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Seven-shooter Did you receive your Bavarian? Sent you a couple messages.
View Quote
Not yet, due to delays in getting the funding from the LGS that handled my consignments.  As soon as I do, I need to order one of the two of the version I want that still exist in stock on the internet .  I've already been ordering Ammo for it, though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also, would you be using the Vortex Pro rings on this set up in medium?
View Quote

For 300 yards or less the scope may be a little more than you need, but if you do ever find yourself needing to shoot further you'll have the ability to with the scope.  And personally I'd go for the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308 anyways

As for the Sauer you may be thinking of someone else as I didn't purchase one.  I just got the Browning X-Bolt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Excited to see it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Oops sorry. Idk who that was then.

Right now I’m like 65% sako with 2-10 or 3-15

25% Sauer

10% steyr
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oops sorry. Idk who that was then.

Right now I’m like 65% sako with 2-10 or 3-15

25% Sauer

10% steyr
View Quote

The Steyr is going to be similar in quality to the Sako, perhaps just a tad nicer, so for the price you're getting the A7 for it isn't really worth it to jump up to the Steyr unless you really want the Steyr in general.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Right. And for the price of the Steyr I’m getting an a7, optic and rings.

The Steyr would make a nice light GP rifle having said that.

Here’s 2 optics I was shown.

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32 EBR-4 MOA Scope PST-2101

Nikon PROSTAFF P5 2.5-10x42 Matte BDC Riflescope 16618

Vortex is a bit tactical and $849 but looks nice. Nikon is $250 but out of stock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The 6.5 is plenty for deer. I think ideal. You don’t need premium ammo either unless you prefer. But Remington CoreLokt or similar SP in 120gr to 140 gr is great. Hornady and Federal Fusion makes some fine hunting ammo at not expensive.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 6.5 is plenty for deer. I think ideal. You don’t need premium ammo either unless you prefer. But Remington CoreLokt or similar SP in 120gr to 140 gr is great. Hornady and Federal Fusion makes some fine hunting ammo at not expensive.
View Quote

Fusion is expensive as hell in many places right now.  Trust me, I wish it wasn't.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#20]
So the shop offeeed me $125 off the Steyr. After tax it’d be $1720 which is a lot to spend without an optic and rings. I’m not sure how it stands Compton online price. Basically $1585 before tax. Oh, plus cc fees.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So the shop offeeed me $125 off the Steyr. After tax it’d be $1720 which is a lot to spend without an optic and rings. I’m not sure how it stands Compton online price. Basically $1585 before tax. Oh, plus cc fees.
View Quote

Why buy that model?  Why not a pro hunter?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn’t know they existed until you said it. The thing that drew me to the scout was the compact size, lots of nice features and ergos.

Do tell about the pro hunter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didn’t know they existed until you said it. The thing that drew me to the scout was the compact size, lots of nice features and ergos.

Do tell about the pro hunter.
View Quote

Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter rifle and Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x52 scope and A-tec sound moderator.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks awesome. Who has them? Compare well to the a7?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks awesome. Who has them? Compare well to the a7?
View Quote

I owned an A7M.  I regret having sold it every darn day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.  Steyr is a premium quality bolt gun in a similar vein to Weatherby's Mark V and the Sako rifles, so you're going to pay for one.

I think you'd just be better off getting the A7 in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Not worth it to pay almost $1,000 more for the Steyr.  It's a bit nicer of a rifle than the A7, and more comparable to a Sako 85, but the A7 price is damn good.  When A7 rifles were more common they were around $1,200 or so in street price.  So you're getting an exceptional deal for a great rifle.  Like I said.. unless you just really want a Steyr there's almost no reason to get it over the A7 at the current price point of the A7.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#27]
That makes a lot of sense to me. If the scout was like $1200 or less, I think the temptation would be pretty great. I don’t think it’d be wise to spend $1700 and then another $600ish on optics. I’d be in trouble.

It’s cool as shit though lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That makes a lot of sense to me. If the scout was like $1200 or less, I think the temptation would be pretty great. I don’t think it’d be wise to spend $1700 and then another $600ish on optics. I’d be in trouble.

It’s cool as shit though lol
View Quote

They're great guns, just not worth it when you can get the Sako for way cheaper haha.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Another thing, I’ve been told I should step up to 308. That 6.5 should be fine for NY white tail but if I ever want to go further, 308 would cover more bases without more cost or much more recoil.

Accurate or bologna?
View Quote

Bologna.
I'm not part of the 6.5 mafia, but from a hunting standpoint there isn't anything you are going to do with a .308 that you couldn't do with the 6.5.
If you are strictly planning on deer 7mm08 and .243 that have been discussed earlier are great rounds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bologna.
I'm not part of the 6.5 mafia, but from a hunting standpoint there isn't anything you are going to do with a .308 that you couldn't do with the 6.5.
If you are strictly planning on deer 7mm08 and .243 that have been discussed earlier are great rounds.
View Quote

Bullet selection on the 6.5 is catching up.  I went 308 cause I already had a case and then some of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#31]
6.5 it is then. I’m getting within days of buying something. Still not settled on optic magnification or allowance and rings yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
6.5 it is then. I'm getting within days of buying something. Still not settled on optic magnification or allowance and rings yet.
View Quote
It helps to have a rifle before you start buying rings.  Not all mounting patterns are the same.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It helps to have a rifle before you start buying rings.  Not all mounting patterns are the same.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6.5 it is then. I'm getting within days of buying something. Still not settled on optic magnification or allowance and rings yet.

Is it common for folks to get the rifle, then the glass, then the rings? Get the wrong height and exchange? Or you’re just out the cost of the rings that were the wrong height? I’m guessing I’d try mediums at some point. Whenever it is I’m ready to add the optic down the road.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is it common for folks to get the rifle, then the glass, then the rings? Get the wrong height and exchange? Or you’re just out the cost of the rings that were the wrong height? I’m guessing I’d try mediums at some point. Whenever it is I’m ready to add the optic down the road.
View Quote

I usually get a rifle first and the scope after...depending on what I find a deal on.
From what you've said there is no real hurry, so get the rifle and then shop around for a good deal on glass.
Once you pick out the scope you can look at the dimensions and decide on rings. If you aren't sureask here. Odds are someone has the scope you end up buying and will relate their experience with rings.
If you plan to mount it yourself make sure you have an appropriate torque wrench and take your time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Very helpful, thank you.

My head is going in multiple directions trying to get some other hunting items together as well. Layers, hats, pants etc.

Also my buddy is selling me on doing bow as well. If that happens I have to limit the gun idea.

Either I buy the sako and optic and rings very close to each other or a bow and the sako and optic in late summer early Fall or a bow and a Ruger/savage/weatherby etc and inexpensive optic. We’ll see but I want the sako mostly and kind of don’t want to settle. Kind of want it range ready soon too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve noticed the Vortex HS 2.5-10 for $499. Looks pretty dang good. Has no illumination. Needed really?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ve noticed the Vortex HS 2.5-10 for $499. Looks pretty dang good. Has no illumination. Needed really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Very helpful, thank you.

My head is going in multiple directions trying to get some other hunting items together as well. Layers, hats, pants etc.

Also my buddy is selling me on doing bow as well. If that happens I have to limit the gun idea.

Either I buy the sako and optic and rings very close to each other or a bow and the sako and optic in late summer early Fall or a bow and a Ruger/savage/weatherby etc and inexpensive optic. We’ll see but I want the sako mostly and kind of don’t want to settle. Kind of want it range ready soon too.

Sako may not be there for that price come Summer.  I'd jump on that before a bow, JMO.

Quoted:

Honestly under $500 I'd get the Crimson Trace 4-20x50.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619264?pid=133422

It has 20x magnification IF you ever need it, and it blows just about every scope under $1,000 out of the water.  It's made in Japan and is of extremely high quality.  The glass quality is better than my Viper PS-T Gen II by quite a bit and on par with the higher end Trijicon AccuPower scopes which are also Japanese glass and cost about $1,500.  It's an absolutely INSANE value.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For whatever reason, despite many years of being a gun and knife enthusiast and having brothers and friends that hunt and fish, I’ve never hunted and only fished very little.

I’m making my mission to take up both this year starting with turkey and fishing in the very near future. I’d like to add duck, goose and deer to that late 2021.

My area is shotgun only. I have a Beretta A300 I’ll use.

I’d like to eventually travel out of my area to rifle area possibly once or twice next winter and want to pick up a bolt gun, rings, optic and optic to use and practice with until that time.

Looking for suggestions on a good quality set up that is considered budget. Maybe $500 gun. I wish I could go higher to Bergara or something but I doubt I can. Optic maybe vortex or leupold? Rings and sling I’m clueless.
I’m in New York so I’d go upstate or maybe PA if possible.

Caliber I’m told 7mm-08 is a good choice. Recoil is mild and it’s popular but not enough to be gone from the shelves.

What does everyone think?

Rich

View Quote

Savage in tree 0 Hate, fuck ruger
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sako may not be there for that price come Summer.  I'd jump on that before a bow, JMO.

Honestly under $500 I'd get the Crimson Trace 4-20x50.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619264?pid=133422

It has 20x magnification IF you ever need it, and it blows just about every scope under $1,000 out of the water.  It's made in Japan and is of extremely high quality.  The glass quality is better than my Viper PS-T Gen II by quite a bit and on par with the higher end Trijicon AccuPower scopes which are also Japanese glass and cost about $1,500.  It's an absolutely INSANE value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Very helpful, thank you.

Quoted:

Couple questions;

Is 4-20x50 not way too much for hunting in upstate New York ? From my understanding it’s mostly 50-200 maybe 30 yard shots going from heavy vegetation to open fields (in the area my friend is used to anyway).

Also it’s 30oz. That’ll make the rifle 10lbs. In a tree stand who cares but if walking a lot that might be a bit heavy. Maybe not. It’s massive too.

On the other hand, for long shots and range accuracy it’d be awesome. My local range only goes to 200. Furthest range anywhere near me is 300.

I’m only questioning because I don’t know much.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any other calibers you’d suggest? Good and powerful enough for the northeast without punishing recoil?

View Quote

30/06, 270, 308 in that order.
The easiest to find normally.
If you can’t handle the recoil from those three, try 243.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Perfect!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#43]
With the caveat that it is a great scope, 4-20 is quite a bit for your application. If you were exclusively stand hunting it probably wouldn't matter, but if you plan on doing some walking...
As for illumination, it can be nice to have, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker.

With regards to other calibers...that's quite a rabbit hole to go down.
There are lots of great middle weight hunting calibers that fit your needs. Gun writers have spent entire careers arguing this vs. that.
I could go on at length why .264 Win Mag is the greatest and most under appreciated hunting cartridge ever, and it would totally fit the bill for what you want to do. But I've never actually recommend it for someone in your position. Stick with .308, 6.5 Creedmore, .243 if you want a little less recoil or .30-06 if you want a little more oomph. There's a reason those cartridges are as popular as they are. They are versatile and they work.
You can hunt anything in North America short of the big bears with a 30-06 or a .308.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#44]
If it’s still there in a few days, there’s a pretty good chance I’ll grab that 2-10 vortex, rings and maybe the sako if I hold true to spending $900 on the rifle. I’m going to stop at another shop to see what they have today. If anything in the $600 range comes up and is nice I’ll consider it. If not I’ll do the sako in 6.5 with that 2-10 and try medium rings.
All told about $1500 tops.

I started thinking 1-6 because it’d be fast light and handy but I’m thinking 6 probably isn’t enough. Especially since my 45 year old eyes aren’t great anymore, particularly at distance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Went to the other shop. Overpriced as usual.

Salesman thought I should focus on my area and get a bow or savage 220. He said if you must have a bolt, get one REALLY nice one in a caliber that’ll take most animals in North America and use it for everything for life. Then led me to the 300 win mag Christensen lol.

I checked put a weatherby High Country. Pretty damn solid but 300 Weatherby. Sauer 100 was very nice in camo but $1000 and the stock is long. Otherwise it was super nice. Bergara were bulls and heavy. Nice triggers.
Bull bbl tikka in 308 was $1100 and very nice.

I’m still lost.

Focus on here and do shotguns and bows only or do a bolt anyway and continue the plan is where I’m at. A300 locally. Bolt for range and off island.

I’ll leave you guys alone and think on it a while.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, definitely take your time and think about it, but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
It's fun to get lost in all the cool latest greatest fancy gear, but millions of deer have been killed by guys with open sight 30-30 lever guns wearing jeans and flannel shirts. Nothing you've looked at would be s bad choice.

I'd encourage you to get something to hunt out of your area with because I strongly encourage you to hunt out of your area. If you don't have a rifle to do it with that becomes another excuse not to, because you add "and I'd have to get a rifle" to the list of excuses not to. But if you have the rifle it becomes "I bought the rifle, by God I'm going to use it!".
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Very smart. I have to say I’m sitting hear bummed out because I don’t want to drop the rifle idea. There were 2 I’d get there and a couple online that I would love to have.

Honestly really liked the High Country  if it weren’t in 300 Weatherby.  Steyr. Tikka. Online, the Sako, First Lite Weatherby.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, I'd avoid the Magnums, and I say that as someone who hunts dear with a .264 Win Mag and Elk with a .338 Win Mag.
Lots of great rifles out there, don't get in a rush and you'll find something that lights your fire.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#49]
The lookout continues
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#50]
The Sauer they had was a 100 kuiu model with blue bbl. it’s much more than the classic xt. Is it only paint that’s costing more?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top