BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was perfect.  I sold that optic.  I couldn't stand the way the reticule occluded the target area.  far to thick for my tastes.  It wears an Aimpoint T2 now.
View Quote
I want one. It screams "AUG Optic" for the A3, even though I know there are far better options out there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I like my AUG Pete sold me so much that I called and ordered another one just now.  My incoming is a Green standard stock with a 20"  barrel and the new extended rail.  I am pumped!!  Can someone recommend a decent (and under $600 with rings) illuminated optic, preferably a scope with magnification up to x9.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got the AUG to the range today and I was initially very frustrated because I could not hit paper at all with the 3X optic. I went through about 60 rounds before I finally got it to hit somewhere close so that I could sight it in at 25 yards. After it was on at 25 yards, I sighted it in at 50. The rifle functioned flawlessly and was a pleasure to shoot. The only issue I had was that the chamber cover came off and it took me a few minutes to get it back on.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/A235A8F3-B378-42EE-B01C-A04194AD2FFD-464055.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/9E69A13E-C8CA-4419-BD47-3A2504322BAF-464056.JPG

Movies of the 50 yard targets through the 3x.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/08508443-9C2C-403E-8BDD-9B6AED0D1CC1-464060.JPG

50 yard target after sighting in, but with hard wind gusts today.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/EC6ECA6F-0B33-46DE-95FE-A3F1CF4BEB98-464061.JPG
View Quote
See!  This is why you should read, study, and carefully take notes of all my collected works.    Because yea, this is normal.

For reasons that I can't grasp - Steyr half-asses the scope zero on new guns.  
(Epic rant cut, because it wasn't quite right - but hey, it was still an awesome rant )
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, I like my AUG Pete sold me so much that I called and ordered another one just now.  My incoming is a Green standard stock with a 20"  barrel and the new extended rail.  I am pumped!!  Can someone recommend a decent (and under $600 with rings) illuminated optic, preferably a scope with magnification up to x9.
View Quote

Haha. Nice. I suggest if you ever plane to change the muzzle device. Have Pete do it before he mails it out.

Trijicon Accupower lines may be up your alley. Should have some models w/ magnification you want for around $600.  I was going to suggest Vortex. But I think only they $200ish scopes can come w/ illuminated reticles. I'm not a big scope person. I suggest you go under the "AR" tab. And then under the "Optics, mounts, sights" header and ask.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

See!  This is why you should read, study, and carefully take notes of all my collected works.    Because yea, this is normal.

For reasons that I can't grasp - Steyr half-asses the scope zero on new guns.  They don't even bother to take about 120 seconds per gun, to boresight that so you'll at least be on paper at 50 yards.  Because yes, it is Steyr policy that every new AUG be not even on paper at 25 yards.  That way, every new owner of a $2000 Austrian exotic OMFG-AWEEESSSOMMMMEEEEE!!!! AUG on their first day to the range, gets to have their initial-ownership experience be "WTF?!?  What Is Wrong With My AUG I Just Got!?" (tm)

Ever
Single
One

I think it's some kind of European hubris or something; polish that gun and sell it with an accent of your fine European construction; get so much so awesomely right - and then blow off something that basic at the end; silly customers should know they have to get that zero'd at <10 yards first to be on paper.  It's like when Gaston Glock (also Austrian by the way), was told "Hey man, that support strut you have in your pistol case you hand-designed - it's engaging the pistol trigger and setting the gun off when people put their guns back in the original Glock storage case".  To which his reply (I swear to God, this is even documented) "Stupid American customers, it says in the manual that the gun should be unloaded when you put it back into the case - I don't have to change that, they should read the manual.  My case design is perfect"  (Eventually, he was forced to change that - thank God).
View Quote
It's not European hubris. AUG barrels and receivers are made in the US and assembled with the European parts in AL.  Pre-ban AUGs from Austria came factory zero'd with a fancy zeroing target.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The AUG is an excellent gun, seems like you just figured that out. Congratulations on the second, you definitely have the sickness now.

In the 3-9x scope world, I'd put the SWFA SS HAD at the top of the list of what you get for what you pay for. However your scope budget is now maxed out.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

If you're ok with exposed turrets and a mil radian reticle, the optic is really nice. Otherwise there are new Nikon and Vortex offerings with more traditional designs and features for less money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's not European hubris. AUG barrels and receivers are made in the US and assembled with the European parts in AL.  Pre-ban AUGs from Austria came factory zero'd with a fancy zeroing target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reasons that I can't grasp - Steyr half-asses the scope zero on new guns.  They don't even bother to take about 120 seconds per gun, to boresight that so you'll at least be on paper at 50 yards.  Because yes, it is Steyr policy that every new AUG be not even on paper at 25 yards.  That way, every new owner of a $2000 Austrian exotic OMFG-AWEEESSSOMMMMEEEEE!!!! AUG on their first day to the range, gets to have their initial-ownership experience be "WTF?!?  What Is Wrong With My AUG I Just Got!?" (tm)

Ever
Single
One

I think it's some kind of European hubris or something; polish that gun and sell it with an accent of your fine European construction; get so much so awesomely right - and then blow off something that basic at the end; silly customers should know they have to get that zero'd at <10 yards first to be on paper.  It's like when Gaston Glock (also Austrian by the way), was told "Hey man, that support strut you have in your pistol case you hand-designed - it's engaging the pistol trigger and setting the gun off when people put their guns back in the original Glock storage case".  To which his reply (I swear to God, this is even documented) "Stupid American customers, it says in the manual that the gun should be unloaded when you put it back into the case - I don't have to change that, they should read the manual.  My case design is perfect"  (Eventually, he was forced to change that - thank God).
Man I had a whole 2 page rant going, and you just ruined it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
This is how Austrian AUGs used to come

Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Haha. Nice. I suggest if you ever plane to change the muzzle device. Have Pete do it before he mails it out.
View Quote
Good point. Right now is when you want to be thinking ahead about any future flash hider changes or if you want a bayonet lug on the 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good point. Right now is when you want to be thinking ahead about any future flash hider changes or if you want a bayonet lug on the 20" barrel.
View Quote
Too late, I've already got shipping confirmation. Any tips for removing the flash hider at some point in the future?
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
And this is disappointing. My order from 44mag.com shows as delivered on Thursday in the mail lockbox at work. It never was there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
hhhhhhhhhhh
Quoted:
Too late, I've already got shipping confirmation. Any tips for removing the flash hider at some point in the future?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Unable-to-remove-AUG-flash-hider-/43-484376/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/AUG_24_LMG_barrel_special_order_parts_UPDATE_9_22/43-449984/&page=2

I like what you're thinking. Putting together a little DMR type AUG. Now all you need besides a scope. Is a small pic rail to replace the folding grip and get a bipod.

If you use firefox or google chrome,download the photobucket fixer to see all the pics.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know what it is. But it's unexpectable. A little more care should be taken w/ some kind of zero on the scoped models.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:06:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know what it is. But it's unexpectable. A little more care should be taken w/ some kind of zero on the scoped models.
View Quote
I believe that the scope housing and optic is assembled in Europe and shipped to the US, where the optic housing is bolted on. As there's just one gentleman assembling AUG's, who also has the responsibility of being the gunsmith for their entire rifle line, I'm assuming that steyr doesn't find zeroing the scopes to be a fruitful use if time. They're slammed. Maybe it'll change for the better, steyr is on a hiring spree.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hhhhhhhhhhh
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Unable-to-remove-AUG-flash-hider-/43-484376/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/AUG_24_LMG_barrel_special_order_parts_UPDATE_9_22/43-449984/&page=2

I like what you're thinking. Putting together a little DMR type AUG. Now all you need besides a scope. Is a small pic rail to replace the folding grip and get a bipod.

If you use firefox or google chrome,download the photobucket fixer to see all the pics.
View Quote
Excellent idea. Love the spigot bipod grip rail. 20" with a nice 3-9x and bipod rail. I'm starting to get ideas here...

Link Posted: 2/26/2018 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe that the scope housing and optic is assembled in Europe and shipped to the US, where the optic housing is bolted on. As there's just one gentleman assembling AUG's, who also has the responsibility of being the gunsmith for their entire rifle line, I'm assuming that steyr doesn't find zeroing the scopes to be a fruitful use if time. They're slammed. Maybe it'll change for the better, steyr is on a hiring spree.
View Quote
Interesting. Maybe they should include a little note in it then:

"Thank you for buy a Steyr Mannlicher, Steyr Arms product. We are hope you are please with your new rifle. Warning, the scope is not zeroed for this rifle and is probably way, way off. You should start at a 5 yard zero to get on paper. Otherwise your new rifle may shoot 20 feet over your designated berm. Thank you".
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Excellent idea. Love the spigot bipod grip rail. 20" with a nice 3-9x and bipod rail. I'm starting to get ideas here...

http://i.imgur.com/WS1LIn0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/d8o4wMv.jpg
View Quote
Well, I don't have anything that fancy (or expensive). Just an old 2020 rail and a Harris bipod. But w/ a 24inch barrel like the Gun Gods intended. :D

Maybe I'd get the fancy Steyr rail/bipod when they have a good sized sale again. Still be a lot of coin regardless.

I've got enough spare parts to build a dedicated DMR AUG. I just need another receiver. Hard to come by, those are. When I wanted to build a dedicated 9mm AUG. I just bought another AUG. I don't wanna do that right now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, I don't have anything that fancy (or expensive). Just an old 2020 rail and a Harris bipod. But w/ a 24inch barrel like the Gun Gods intended. :D

Maybe I'd get the fancy Steyr rail/bipod when they have a good sized sale again. Still be a lot of coin regardless.

I've got enough spare parts to build a dedicated DMR AUG. I just need another receiver. Hard to come by, those are. When I wanted to build a dedicated 9mm AUG. I just bought another AUG. I don't wanna do that right now.
https://i.imgur.com/l9fMcIW.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/WS1LIn0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/d8o4wMv.jpg

Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interesting. Maybe they should include a little note in it then:

"Thank you for buy a Steyr Mannlicher, Steyr Arms product. We are hope you are please with your new rifle. Warning, the scope is not zeroed for this rifle and is probably way, way off. You should start at a 5 yard zero to get on paper. Otherwise your new rifle may shoot 20 feet over your designated berm. Thank you".
View Quote
Yeah, just a handy little hang tag or small sticker saying "scope not zero'd, start at 7 yards" would be perfect.

My 1.5x was a 1' to the right at 10 yards when I got mine, can't imagine trying to zero at 50 yards lol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
At least you can sleep well at night knowing the bipod/rail combo you've got is less than half the price of the heavy duty bipod steyr sells, and it serves the same purpose...

I'm always on the lookout for AUG receivers too. There's a monetary value to just biting the bullet and buying a complete AUG just for the receiver. My problem then becomes, what do I do with the spare parts? I don't need them and nobody is buying unless prices are rock bottom. If you dump the parts kit too cheap you then get so close to the price of a bare receiver that it's not worth my time to try to sell the parts then package and ship them. First world problems.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, just a handy little hang tag or small sticker saying "scope not zero'd, start at 7 yards" would be perfect.

My 1.5x was a 1' to the right at 10 yards when I got mine, can't imagine trying to zero at 50 yards lol.
View Quote
Yup.

Oh and I just noticed my little statement had several typos in it. I didn't write it that way on purpose to make fun of second-language English speakers. I just wrote it at 3am after working.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

At least you can sleep well at night knowing the bipod/rail combo you've got is less than half the price of the heavy duty bipod steyr sells, and it serves the same purpose...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure, but it's not as cool IIRC, including the rail, bipod and pic adapter from KAC. I spent about $170 all together. The Steyr version w/ bipod, rail and muzzle device is stupid expensive at $925. But hey,...Steyr.
Quoted:
I'm always on the lookout for AUG receivers too. There's a monetary value to just biting the bullet and buying a complete AUG just for the receiver. My problem then becomes, what do I do with the spare parts? I don't need them and nobody is buying unless prices are rock bottom. If you dump the parts kit too cheap you then get so close to the price of a bare receiver that it's not worth my time to try to sell the parts then package and ship them. First world problems.
I like having spare parts. But I don't need tons and tons of them.
#firstworldproblems    
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sweet!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#24]
It appears my first order of mags from 44mag.com were stolen by either the mail carrier or someone in my building.  The tracking number reflects that the box was delivered "in mailbox" (a lock box in my office building- we usually get a key in our locked mailbox for the package box); however, the key was never placed in our mail box.  I have filed a complaint with the USPS local post office, but I doubt I'll ever get the mags (6 green 30s and four green 42s).

I subsequently (after ordering the second AUG from Pete) placed an additional order for more mags (before finding out the first was "lost"), and it should be here soon.  Today I placed a replacement order for the first order and emailed 44mag.com about the loss.  Hopefully the original shipment is eventually delivered.  Drama, drama, drama.

I also got a PA 1-6x 24 scope ordered for the 20" AUG that is incoming.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Dude!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It appears my first order of mags from 44mag.com were stolen by either the mail carrier or someone in my building.  The tracking number reflects that the box was delivered "in mailbox" (a lock box in my office building- we usually get a key in our locked mailbox for the package box); however, the key was never placed in our mail box.  I have filed a complaint with the USPS local post office, but I doubt I'll ever get the mags (6 green 30s and four green 42s).

I subsequently (after ordering the second AUG from Pete) placed an additional order for more mags (before finding out the first was "lost"), and it should be here soon.  Today I placed a replacement order for the first order and emailed 44mag.com about the loss.  Hopefully the original shipment is eventually delivered.  Drama, drama, drama.

I also got a PA 1-6x 24 scope ordered for the 20" AUG that is incoming.  
View Quote
I hope you get your mags/refund quickly and easily.

And you already have a scope ordered? I like your style sir.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe this will help hold you over til you get your mags...

Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
The 20" barreled rifle balances very well and so far I really like it!  However, I don't like the scope mount from PA because it is too close to my face. In hindsight, I guess the short rail would have been ok.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Can you turn the mount around?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can you turn the mount around?
View Quote
Yes, but then the knobs get in the way of the charging handle.  I need to call PA tomorrow and see about returning the mount I ordered.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Are the knobs still in the way if you operate the ch palm up?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are the knobs still in the way if you operate the ch palm up?
View Quote
They can get in the way of locking the charging handle to the rear. Is the butt plate supposed to be a bit loose?

edit: I think I found a position I'm happy with.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They can get in the way of locking the charging handle to the rear. Is the butt plate supposed to be a bit loose?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/E76C45B0-47C8-48D2-8FDB-15B254FBBDDC-468774.JPG
View Quote
That's one of the reasons I like the factory integrated optic.  No hand/cheese-grater feature.

Also, where in TX are you anyway?  Drop me a note, I'm taking out mine soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/E76C45B0-47C8-48D2-8FDB-15B254FBBDDC-468774.JPG
View Quote
Are you committed to the original charge handle for nostalgia purposes? I just ordered my first AUG from Pete on Wed and then I ordered the 2020 sear and the Manticore Switchback Mini charge handle. Before you send the mount back or go a different optic route, I'd strongly suggest researching different charge handles (Gear Head Works makes one as well however I much prefer the Switchback design). Good luck with whatever your decision is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn. You guys are really helping me spend my money!
Just ordered a couple Manticore micro charging handles
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting, is it really that difficult to change one?  I was about to change one myself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I got my bayonet lug attached today!  Thanks for the tips on how to not ruin the barrel in the process, Pete. I also got some mags in today, but not the "lost" shipment.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got my bayonet lug attached today!  Thanks for the tips on how to not ruin the barrel in the process, Pete. I also got some mags in today, but not the "lost" shipment.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/5E54C0BC-27D0-409E-BA57-8516FBE075E5-469897.JPG
View Quote
Nice rifles!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 2:46:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/5E54C0BC-27D0-409E-BA57-8516FBE075E5-469897.JPG
View Quote
You're farther along than I am. Since I have a bayonet lug on a barrel, but no bayonet for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome! Now put one on the 16" barrel too

What we're the tips for not ruining the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Awesome! Now put one on the 16" barrel too

What we're the tips for not ruining the barrel?
View Quote
1) lots of lube
2) remove bolt from lug
3) open up the lug so it doesn't scratch the shit out of the barrel (I used a flat head screw driver)
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1) lots of lube
2) remove bolt from lug
3) open up the lug so it doesn't scratch the shit out of the barrel (I used a flat head screw driver)
View Quote
What about the flash hider?
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What about the flash hider?
View Quote
I removed the barrel and placed it on a wooden work bench with a towel on the table. Then I attached a 3/4 wrench to the lock nut and a USGI barrel wrench on the flash hider. The barrenl wrench was attached to a ratchet and a two foot long cheaterbar. Mostly, I jjust used a lot of leverage.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]
As to the other question I have asked about the butt plate, does everyone else have a bit of play in theirs?

here is a pic showing how both of mine are a tad loose.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As to the other question I have asked about the butt plate, does everyone else have a bit of play in theirs?

here is a pic showing how both of mine are a tad loose.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/C3169C3C-2487-4108-9DE4-D762E6284E36-470939.JPG
View Quote
That's not right.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's not right.
View Quote
OK, thanks.  I looked at the instructions again and I followed them closely and figured out the problem. It's all good now!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I took the 20" to the range today and had a good time! It functioned perfectly and below is a 50 yard target with a rapid fire 30 shot group (IMI M193).   Oh, my "missing" magazines magically appeared today!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I took the 20" to the range today and had a good time! It functioned perfectly and below is a 50 yard target with a rapid fire 30 shot group (IMI M193).   Oh, my "missing" magazines magically appeared today!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/D07496E7-C106-4803-A84A-2C55FB06FD72-471806.JPG
View Quote
Fantastic group!

I'm thinking of trying some Black Hills Mk 262 77gr's since I have a bunch and see how they do.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#50]
The aero light weight scope mounts work mounted backwards.
Nothing sticking out to get in the way.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top