Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2018 11:11:11 AM EDT
I assume the processing of NFA Form 3s is considered non-essential? With talk that the shutdown could last into next year, I was wondering if anybody has experience with submitting Form 3s during a previous shutdown and whether there was a delay, and how any resulting backlogs were dealt with in terms of clearing them? Coming at the holidays will likely throw another wrench in the works as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
BATFE is part of Justice which is one of the non-funded agencies so yes, add more time to the wait.  I see no efforts to "catch up" once open, they just keep working their way through the stack is my guess.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/NICS-down-due-to-gov-shutdown-Civil-rights-violation-/5-2178200/
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BATFE is part of Justice which is one of the non-funded agencies so yes, add more time to the wait.  I see no efforts to "catch up" once open, they just keep working their way through the stack is my guess.
View Quote
I found a story on Roll Call that seems to indicate ATF will be operational. I don't know if that's EVERYBODY at ATF though. I'm guessing the NFA Branch will be among the 18,000 DOJ employees told to stay home.

"Justice
The Justice Department will largely be up and operating as many of its functions relate to the protection of life and property, which are functions exempt from the shutdown. Altogether, about 84 percent of Justice Department employees are exempt and will be working; that’s 95,000 out of 113,000 Justice Department employees, according to a department memo put out in September of this year.
So the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. attorneys, the Bureau of Prisons and department criminal activities go forward during a shutdown. The Office of Special Counsel, under special funding, also goes forward, so Robert Mueller III’s investigative team does not get furloughed."
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/NICS-down-due-to-gov-shutdown-Civil-rights-violation-/5-2178200/
View Quote
I just logged into LEEP. The system is up for dealers to run NICS e-checks
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just logged into LEEP. The system is up for dealers to run NICS e-checks
View Quote
That's good. I fucking hate waiting on hold for up to 45-60 minutes just for one NICS check.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I filed an eF2 last week.  Was getting the typical email updates on the status until the government shutdown, then nothing.

Also this may have something to do with it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Shutdown-effect-pending-applications/17-495121/#i5056264
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Happy New Year to all my ARFCOM FFL/SOTs!  I am so happy that "department criminal activities go forward during a shutdown."
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Happy New Year to all my ARFCOM FFL/SOTs!  I am so happy that "department criminal activities go forward during a shutdown."
View Quote
Happy New Year!

At least you SOTs can make NFA and submit your F2 later. It's not your fault if ATF ignores their FAX machine or email inbox.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I verified today that at NFA the contractors are working but the GS employees are not.  So, forms gets processed until they hit a GS person's desk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top