Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2018 2:38:41 PM EDT
Will an upcoming shutdown effect all pending applications?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Do bears do anything in the woods???
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m sure the people working on NFA applications are considered “non-essential” personnel and will be sent home.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m sure the people working on NFA applications are considered “non-essential” personnel and will be sent home.
View Quote
That’s insane on two levels.

First, that there are any non-essential federal government employees in the first place.

Second, that the ones who work the 2nd amendment to the constitution would be thought to fall into that category.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That’s insane on two levels.

First, that there are any non-essential federal government employees in the first place.

Second, that the ones who work the 2nd amendment to the constitution would be thought to fall into that category.
View Quote
This makes me laugh. The organization shouldn't even exist in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Nobody really knows exactly what will happen to the NFA branch employees if there is another government shutdown.  It probably depends upon which employees are classified as "essential" (which I suspect is somewhat of a political determination), how long the shutdown lasts, etc.

However, if history is any guide the shutdown in 2013 resulted in the NFA branch drastically reducing services and they were effectively not approving transfer application during the majority of the shutdown. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe the eforms system was also temporarily taken offline as well.

I am not sure how F2s were handled or if they just piled up on the Martinsburg doorstep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The 2013 shutdown was for 16 days.
Would definitely slow things down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Damnit, I am on month 8 waiting on an F4.

I am sure this will make it a year by the time all said and done.

When I called earlier this month was still pending.  Doubt theres much hope it got thru in time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Spoke to NFA Branch in W.VA yesterday, they assure me they will be open as they get a lot of overtime during the holidays. Dunno the situation down in Atlanta, but I am sure they wouldn't be doing much anyway.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will an upcoming shutdown effect all pending applications?
View Quote
Probably, but I doubt you would notice it till 2019 since many are off on holiday anyway. I was an essential .fed, and I never worked from 12/23-1/2.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it depends on how long it lasts.  As a former fed employee, the vacation benefits are very good and they have "must leave".  A long term employee with 15 years gets 5 weeks vacation.  Any not taken during the year must be taken before the year ends, so, offices have few working anyway.  Short term, no effect unless it goes into late January.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Bear in mind also that any work done by contractors will still get done since task orders/deliver orders are typically pre-funded.

I'm a fed contractor and my task order is funded through next September so the shutdown doesn't affect me; I'll be at work 12/26.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess we could call on wed and see if their open? I have called once a week every week for a month now on my 7+ month can and two times they been closed due to “weather”
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have had forms approved on Sunday mornings, and email exchanges with examiners at midnight during the week.    I'm betting they keep doing what they do throughout the shutdown, I doubt they want more work piling up.
View Quote
It won't be up to the examiners or even the branch chiefs. The decisions on who has to work is made way above them.  I'd be surprised if NFA examiners are classified as essential.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My point was, the people doing the actual work seem to be working 24/7, and do work from home.
View Quote
To clarify my point, in the event of a shutdown you can't choose to work if you are not on the essential list. They specifically forbid it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They don't process 1's and 4's.  That's not essential.

Other forms, yes.  They don't shut down the branch- they just don't work on "non essential" things.  (Form 5's to PDs, Form 2s, etc all get done.)
View Quote
Are form 3's considered essential?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I called for a status and got the status, but was told there's nobody there working on forms due to the shutdown. So until that's resolved seems like everything is on hold.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Examiners are not "excepted" employees like agents are and will be subject to furlough.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you had any Form 3s approved during the shut down?  I efiled 2 just before and they are not yet approved. It's been more than a year since I've had a form 3 take more than 48 hours for approval.
View Quote
No eF3 but I submitted an eF2 last week and I was getting the typical notification emails of where it was in the process up until the shutdown, and then nothing.  Usually those are done within two business days.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Makes perfect sense. The people answering the phones are essential so they can tell us  the employees doing the actual work we are calling about are not working or essential.
View Quote
It honestly does make sense for a process that is designed to discourage ownership of NFA

Seriously 6 to 12 months for the equivalent of a NICS check
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Going on 7 months for a f4 as of jan 4.

Called last week and told pending.

Asked about pending bk check issues and was told i "got lucky, not gonna hold this one up" what ever that means.

We will see how long this holds it up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have you had any Form 3s approved during the shut down?  I efiled 2 just before and they are not yet approved. It's been more than a year since I've had a form 3 take more than 48 hours for approval.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I'm told, yes, they are essential.
Same here. I’m still waiting on one filed 12/18.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I spoke with Mike Woodward at TSC this morning, he’s doing an MP5SD conversion for me, and I asked him the same question related to the shutdown and processing of NFA forms. He wasn’t sure if the shutdown and Form processing were related but he received a letter from ATF that Form processing would halt and would resume on January 9th due to “relocating to a new building”. I’m not sure when the supposed “halt” began, I received 3 approvals dated 12/18 on 12/24.
Again, I’m just relaying what he was told and he was just relaying what he received.
I’m waiting on an Efile submitted on 12/11 and I had submitted 2 previously that had 12 day T/A
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I spoke with Mike Woodward at TSC this morning, he's doing an MP5SD conversion for me, and I asked him the same question related to the shutdown and processing of NFA forms. He wasn't sure if the shutdown and Form processing were related but he received a letter from ATF that Form processing would halt and would resume on January 9th due to "relocating to a new building". I'm not sure when the supposed "halt" began, I received 3 approvals dated 12/18 on 12/24.
Again, I'm just relaying what he was told and he was just relaying what he received.
I'm waiting on an Efile submitted on 12/11 and I had submitted 2 previously that had 12 day T/A
View Quote
Well... Ain't that just ducking fucky.

As it would happen, I also submitted an eF1 on the 11th. Honestly, if I see the motherfucker by this time next year, I'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Makes perfect sense. The people answering the phones are essential so they can tell us  the employees doing the actual work we are calling about are not working or essential.
View Quote
Naw, they're contractors working on funded task orders.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I spoke with Mike Woodward at TSC this morning, he’s doing an MP5SD conversion for me, and I asked him the same question related to the shutdown and processing of NFA forms. He wasn’t sure if the shutdown and Form processing were related but he received a letter from ATF that Form processing would halt and would resume on January 9th due to “relocating to a new building”. I’m not sure when the supposed “halt” began, I received 3 approvals dated 12/18 on 12/24.
Again, I’m just relaying what he was told and he was just relaying what he received.
I’m waiting on an Efile submitted on 12/11 and I had submitted 2 previously that had 12 day T/A
View Quote
Got this a last week ago:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USATF/bulletins/2240536

ATF Distribution Center Suspending Operations for Relocation
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a Form 3 that got submitted electronically yesterday... the wait is killing me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow. Fuck our government.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a Form 3 appear to be approved today.  S/N of item showed up in my EForms inventory matching a customer order.  I believe it was submitted just before the shutdown.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just the distribution center, not the entire ATF.  If you need to order finger print cards, then you will be out of luck until they are done.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just the distribution center, not the entire ATF.  If you need to order finger print cards, then you will be out of luck until they are done.
View Quote
Hence why I posted it. The blurb from TSC makes no sense, perhaps they were confused it was only the dist center.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just had a eform 3 approved.
View Quote
Form 1/4 are not essential however.

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/28/group-warns-government-shutdown-may-thicken-red-tape-on-nfa-items
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting. When was it filed?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any chance it was my AEM5-30 headed to WA???
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#42]
They may not be processing forms, but they were happy to charge my CC last week...
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They may not be processing forms, but they were happy to charge my CC last week...
View Quote
Of course, taking in the money is essential personnel
Government reasoning at it’s finest
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It sure is!
View Quote
AWESOME!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Had a form 3 approved this mornning.  I wish they'd approve some form 4's!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I just called to get status on a Form 4 I submitted and to ask a question about an efile I was having trouble with. The Lady that answered the 4500 number told me that I could use the ask the expert feature on the website, but that even though they (she said ATF) were open, I was not likely to receive a response until after the Government shutdown was resolved.

The alarming thing about my call - she said the Form 4 I submitted via SilencerShop kiosk in AUGUST, wasn't received until December 3, 2018.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just called to get status on a Form 4 I submitted and to ask a question about an efile I was having trouble with. The Lady that answered the 4500 number told me that I could use the ask the expert feature on the website, but that even though they (she said ATF) were open, I was not likely to receive a response until after the Government shutdown was resolved.

The alarming thing about my call - she said the Form 4 I submitted via SilencerShop kiosk in AUGUST, wasn't received until December 3, 2018.
View Quote
Pretty sure I read something about that kind of thing happening with SS lately. I wouldn't know as I've never used them, maybe somebody can chime in with more info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine is signed and dated 3/1

Didnt hit their system until 4/30

I mailed it myself same day I signed it
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
What price convenience?...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top