Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2024 10:35:47 PM EDT
So I saw silencershop had one GEMTECH Aurora II left and I figured why not.  I heard that back in the day they were used by down pilots so $350 later it was on its way.  I think it was less than two weeks from purchase to pickup.  

I was a little weary of because of all the negative things I have heard about GEMTECH and even worse since S&W bought them.  And for what’s it worth I wouldn’t buy any other GEMTECH can besides this one when so many better choices are out there.

The can is so tiny and small it has zero problems running on my Glock 19.  Accuracy was shit past 7 yards because of the wipes but that’s to be expected.  However the suppression was easily hearing safe and downright pleasant.  I figured it would be right on the edge of hearing safe but I could shoot 20-25 rounds before I even came close to thinking the wipes needed replaced.  Really it’s the Vaseline doing the heavy lifting.  

I probably put 200 rounds through it of 22lr and 9mm and besides the hassle of changing the wipes it was super fun.  Not recommended for your first pistol can but does fill a niche that I truly have zero use for but awesome none the less.  I think I’m going to buy a G43X or another sub compact to dedicate this can too.  If you read this far I wouldn’t buy a GEMTECH can there are far better options out there but this one is so different I couldn’t pass it up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Already rewiped for the 3rd time.
lol

moving it to my 43X MOS as soon as I decide on an optic.

was on a staccato and it fit the holster with the suppressor on.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome review.  I didn't know those existed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:47:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chowser:
lol

https://i.postimg.cc/TYXVsthW/IMG_9517.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw8HXsmQ/IMG-2150.jpg
View Quote

Okay definitely getting a 43x now. Can you see the sights over the can?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chowser] [#4]
The Aurora II is way better than my JK 105CC.   yes, the JK can do hollow points but it's still loud with a full pack of vaseline.
It gets rid of the supersonic pop but I like the Aurora II better.
I've got the TLR-7sub for my 43X and looking at different optics now.

The 43X with Aurora II will be my around the farm gun for coyotes.

I can't see over the can with the regular height sights, that's why I bought a 43X and will be sticking an optic on it.
I guess I could've just bought higher sights but I wanted a light too so I got a 43X MOS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The Aurora II is way better than my JK 105CC.   yes, the JK can do hollow points but it's still loud with a full pack of vaseline.
It gets rid of the supersonic pop but I like the Aurora II better.
I've got the TLR-7sub for my 43X and looking at different optics now.

The 43X with Aurora II will be my around the farm gun for coyotes.

I can't see over the can with the regular height sights, that's why I bought a 43X and will be sticking an optic on it.
I guess I could've just bought higher sights but I wanted a light too so I got a 43X MOS.
View Quote

I have only had my can out for 1 session but I used wipes with a .25” hole in the center.  This is smaller than the HST opening and I didn’t have any issues shooting about 20 rounds.  They were a little louder cause they were faster but still subsonic.  I wouldn’t make a habit of it but it did work for a full set of wipes.  I found the info about the wipes in the Arfcom archives.  I order 100 with a ¼” hole I. The middle for around $15.

Thank you for the info about the 43x I’ll order one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to make some with a hole in the middle and try it out.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to make some with a hole in the middle and try it out.
Thanks!
View Quote

@Chowser

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09TW7Q15W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know why everyone has taken to shitting on Gemtech. One of my favorite cans, a trek T, is a gemtek. I shot it yesterday.

If you can hear the difference between my Trek II and Griffin GP, you are a better man than me. I have them on similar rifles, for similar purposes.

There are probably better designs 90% of the time these days, but price is a thing. I would buy Gem tech again, for the right deal. In my experience, they are mostly over built and simple designs, that work as intended.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#10]
lol

https://i.postimg.cc/TYXVsthW/IMG_9517.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw8HXsmQ/IMG-2150.jpg
View Quote

That's what makes this suppressor interesting. It's a suppressed pistol that still does pistol things reasonably well. That is; fits in holster, short, light, easier to carry than a sbr, can be concealed, shot one handed...

Often, due to weight and length, a pistol suppressor defeats all the advantages of a pistol over an SBR. Which, in my opinion, makes them dumb.

How much of a pain and expense is changing out the wipes?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

That's what makes this suppressor interesting. It's a suppressed pistol that still does pistol things reasonably well. That is; fits in holster, short, light, easier to carry than a sbr, can be concealed, shot one handed...

Often, due to weight and length, a pistol suppressor defeats all the advantages of a pistol over an SBR. Which, in my opinion, makes them dumb.

View Quote

Changing the wipes is super easy and takes less than a minute.  However repacking the baffles with Vaseline is not a fun experience and is what takes the longest.  I was using wire pulling gel which is a lot easier to apply since it’s in a squeeze bottle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Yes, I suspect the center hole versus the X cut could potentially improve accuracy. I'm interested to see if there is an improvement or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Yes, I suspect the center hole versus the X cut could potentially improve accuracy. I'm interested to see if there is an improvement or not.

I was just mag dumping into trash so I didn’t notice much.  But what I did see is a dramatic decrease in wild flyers.  I’ll definitely put it on paper next time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know why everyone has taken to shitting on Gemtech. One of my favorite cans, a trek T, is a gemtek. I shot it yesterday.

If you can hear the difference between my Trek II and Griffin GP, you are a better man than me. I have them on similar rifles, for similar purposes.

There are probably better designs 90% of the time these days, but price is a thing. I would buy Gem tech again, for the right deal. In my experience, they are mostly over built and simple designs, that work as intended.
View Quote

Some of the Gemtech designs still perform comparatively well.  Minor tweaks to mounting options and maintainability in this market would sell.  An all titanium Outback-2 (k-baffle, not the monocore ‘upgrade’) was briefly available but didn’t get much traction at the time.  I think it would do better today.

GSL is keeping many of the classic Gemtech designs alive.  With a little competitive pricing & marketing both firms could help with market demand. If Silencer Central can move their product Gemtech & GSL should be able to have broader presence.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the link.

I've been pounding out wipes by hand.  
Then carving out the X.

I'll switch to wire pulling gel.  The petroleum jelly is a pain and messy.
I've got plenty of gel from my first ancient suppressor (AWC Triad Ti) which worked better wet.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bigtex84:

Changing the wipes is super easy and takes less than a minute.  However repacking the baffles with Vaseline is not a fun experience and is what takes the longest.  I was using wire pulling gel which is a lot easier to apply since it’s in a squeeze bottle.
View All Quotes

I’m surprised this simple cheap design didn’t get more traction when Form 1 cans were unhassled. I suppose boring bigger holes in something like a wipe spacer is post-farm-life challenging for a cordless drill maestro.  As well, a $200 stamp on a $50 tinker toy messes with people’s cost-benefit analysis. Same with simple rimfire Pill Bottle designs. Those should be free keychain trinkets in a big bowl at the gun store checkout counter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 5:08:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#16]
Thanks for the link.

I've been pounding out wipes by hand.  
Then carving out the X.

I'll switch to wire pulling gel.  The petroleum jelly is a pain and messy.
I've got plenty of gel from my first ancient suppressor (AWC Triad Ti) which worked better wet.

View Quote

I punched a few out too and I do think they suppress slightly better but not enough for me to not use the ones I linked.

Wirepulling gel will get your gun/optic a little more messy I have found but the trade off is worth it.  I’m not going to spend minutes packing Vaseline when I can do it with the gel in 30 seconds.

Thanks for your input on the JK CCX.  I was considering it but everything I saw on the aroura seemed like it was much quieter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, the Aurora is much quieter.  Even with the JK with all baffles loaded with PJ was louder than the Aurora.  I'm using IWI 158gr FMJ as my suppressor round.
I have some FM Hush but it won't cycle my slides.

I ended up buying the 22 end cap for the JK and stuck it on one of my kid's bolt guns for use with subsonic ammo.
He likes it.  He has no issues with it on coyotes.  Doesn't wake his siblings up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#18]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Some of the Gemtech designs still perform comparatively well.  Minor tweaks to mounting options and maintainability in this market would sell.  An all titanium Outback-2 (k-baffle, not the monocore ‘upgrade’) was briefly available but didn’t get much traction at the time.  I think it would do better today.

GSL is keeping many of the classic Gemtech designs alive.  With a little competitive pricing & marketing both firms could help with market demand. If Silencer Central can move their product Gemtech & GSL should be able to have broader presence.
View Quote

What ever happened to the GSL BOSS. It was their version of the Arorua and they were adding a tube for space for additional wipes?

" />
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:16:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#19]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

What ever happened to the GSL BOSS. It was their version of the Arorua and they were adding a tube for space for additional wipes?

https://i.postimg.cc/13dG9r0g/GSL-BOSS.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/13dG9r0g/GSL-BOSS.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

https://i.postimg.cc/13dG9r0g/GSL-BOSS.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/13dG9r0g/GSL-BOSS.jpg

That length pretty much defeats the point of an Aurora II.  What is the weight of that can if it wet?  Or is the extra section for spare wipes which would be a no no now?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the front module mostly was a way to package twice as many wipes to eventually use in the mounted half of the can.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]

That length pretty much defeats the point of an Aurora II.  What is the weight of that can if it wet?  Or is the extra section for spare wipes which would be a no no now?
View Quote

Yes, the extra section is for additional wipes. Perhaps that is what killed it. I was thinking it was encroaching on the Gemtech Aurora II at the time and maybe that is why is got shelved.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Yes, the extra section is for additional wipes. Perhaps that is what killed it. I was thinking it was encroaching on the Gemtech Aurora II at the time and maybe that is why is got shelved.
View Quote

That’s shitty that the atf changed the rules.  It would be nice to get extra wipes with your can instead of making your own.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#24]
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
My personal impression is that the Aurora II on a 9mm pistol is “ok” for maybe 8 rounds. Usually manageable to 10, but beyond that the bark becomes objectionable.

It sounds pretty good on a carbine, but the accuracy thing kind of defeats the purpose on a long gun.

I was also surprised at some types of actions where it doesn’t perform well. I have an HK P9S, which is usually an excellent suppressor host. But it was really loud with the Aurora II. I suspect the added back pressure from all the wipes causes the rollers to unlock early and you get a lot of ejection port noise. But it’s not an issue on a Browning-style action or a Beretta 92.

While it’s kind of neat on a subcompact 9mm, I think I like it best on a little .32 ACP. It’s about the perfect balance of size vs. suppression. And a set of wipes & Vaseline will last a whole lot longer with the tiny cartridge. And on something like a Betetta Tomcat, the package is small enough to pocket carry in a set of cargo shorts. (And the front wipe keeps goo from dripping in your pocket).  This setup is also small enough that I’ve carried it on a belly band when jogging.

The Beretta 81 is probably my favorite to shoot with this can.

https://i.imgur.com/3cdjZhc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qGTCxnQ.jpg
View Quote

I found shooting it on my 32 acp or any other center fire direct blow back was so loud it was pointless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top