Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 3:59:17 PM EDT
I’m wanting to put a folding stock adapter on my PSA AR9 with SBA 3 pistol brace. Has anyone here done that? What adapter did you use? Law Tactical or similar? Does it work just like on a standard AR15? Any info and pics would be very helpful. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed  a Law Tactical folder on my CMMG Banshee 9mm w/o any issues.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
LAW is high quality according to most people that have them, and I would agree.  I have 2.  Expensive, but worth it.  

If using with an adjustable brace on a pistol, it will push the maximum extension beyond the magical ordained 13.5 inch "length of pull", and into "sbr" territory, so a GearHeadWorks Tailhook Mod1 on a basic pistol tube is a good way to go to avoid such nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So the setup pictured above would be considered an SBR?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the setup pictured above would be considered an SBR?
View Quote

There were several hundred pages of  FOIA ATF documents recently released which included letters to prosecutors who asked the ATF to evaluate guns used in potential crimes. In those letters, the SBA3 brace was considered a "shouldering device", not a brace, so according to them it's an SBR even without the LAW. Released internal documents seem to indicate the same.

This is from the latest ATF FOIA dump, for what it's worth....

FOIA dump

Around page 67 (labeled p.484).

Also, if the distance between the center of the trigger and the back of any brace is over 13.5 inches at full extension (or if they can force it to that length), again, they considered it an SBR. The LAW folder pushes adjustable braces over that length.

Funny, though, they haven't arrested any manufacturers for selling completed firearms with the SBA3...

Do what you want. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I know this whole brace/stock thing was an issue recently and the ATF was “evaluating” considering certain ones like the SBA3 a stock, but I thought they retracted their letter and for now it’s still a brace? Either way, I didn’t know about the 13.5” rule though. That is something to consider if I want to install a folder. You’re saying that the Tailhook brace keeps it under 13.5” though?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know this whole brace/stock thing was an issue recently and the ATF was “evaluating” considering certain ones like the SBA3 a stock, but I thought they retracted their letter and for now it’s still a brace? Either way, I didn’t know about the 13.5” rule though. That is something to consider if I want to install a folder. You’re saying that the Tailhook brace keeps it under 13.5” though?
View Quote

Stop being a narc on yourself. Just set up whatever system you feel is still a pistol and chill out. FFS, the YEARS of rumors on 922r, sbr "constructive intent", what IS a brace.... Just don't do anything obviously stupid then obviously flaunt it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They took down the notice for comment early, but they have been, and apparently still are, evaluating firearms using those same criteria.

From the document:
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (“ATF”) is publishing the objective factors it considers when evaluating firearms with an attached stabilizing brace to determine whether they are considered firearms under the National Firearms Act (“NFA”) and/or the Gun Control Act (“GCA”).

The "notice for comment" was just that - seeking comments, that's all.  They didn't withdraw anything except the public's ability to comment on what is essentially internal guidance to their agents that was non-public until now.  Lots of people don't understand that.

The tailhook Mod1 brace on a standard pistol tube and Law folder is under 13.5" lop on a standard AR receiver.  I put tailhooks on both my Law folders.  Works fine.

ETA:link to "notice for comment" document, for posterity.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stop being a narc on yourself. Just set up whatever system you feel is still a pistol and chill out. FFS, the YEARS of rumors on 922r, sbr "constructive intent", what IS a brace.... Just don't do anything obviously stupid then obviously flaunt it.
View Quote

Everyone's risk tolerance is different. Do what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
How robust is a Law's Folder?  It looks like it would be exposed to dirt and grime that could effect its reliability?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your legal advice
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How robust is a Law's Folder?  It looks like it would be exposed to dirt and grime that could effect its reliability?
View Quote

Dirt and grime will eventually affect the reliability of practically anything. I'm not aware of any torture or field tests. A mechanical folding system is another potential point of failure, just like any other mechanical system.  

Mine haven't seen anything beyond normal range dust. Still work fine with a wipe down and drop of oil when cleaning the guns.  
Top Top