Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2024 9:02:32 PM EDT
Looking to purchase my first FAL, and I'm wondering if there are any specific load/weight restrictions due to the recoil/gas system.

I know some systems don't do well over certain weights, and as a handloader I was hoping I could  use my match175/180gr loads as well as 110 varmint loads.

From my reading any factory 308 ammo is fine regardless of the 7.62x51 designation on the rifles.

I also have a banish 30 suppressor I'd love to try on the FAL as well, but I'll cross that bridge later.

Thanks, gents!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Check falfiles.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That's one of the benefits of the adjustable gas system. The rifle is intended to fire 147/150 gr. bullets, but you shouldn't have an issue going up to 175/180 gr. A lot of folks use 130 and even 110 gr. bullets.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The heavier stuff didn’t perform that well out of my StG58… not worth the extra cost.
I decided to stick with 150 grains.

My FAL is a 3 Moa gun.. maybe your will be different.

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frens:
The heavier stuff didn’t perform that well out of my StG58… not worth the extra cost.

View Quote

Same.

You can go smaller and higher velocity.

But none of my FALs like heavier boolits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Frens:

View Quote

For a second I was thinking you were PaoloOrange from falfiles.  He shot a specially tuned aussie SLR though.  He liked the 150 SMK over the heavier bullets.  He was doing some real good work in the Italian National Matches in the category that allows FALS.   His best trick among many was bedding the rear action to eliminate play so the sights stayed in the right place.   The fact that the sights were on two different major assemblies was ok for a combat rifle but unfortunate for target shooters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much of the opinion that basic 147 gr FMJ is the perfect ammo for the FAL….unfortunately!

Just not a great design for accuracy.  My favorite battle rifle, but gotta call things truthfully as well…

That being said, best I ever shot one was iron sights, on a rickety table at 25 yds, parts kit STG-58 with Steyr barrel, and Port. surplus ammo.  Punched 3 rds thru the same hole, it was about .40 cal diameter.  Decided it was good to go…moved onto the next rifle.  

Story time- once walked up on 2 team mates trying to hit a 2’x2’ sniper plate at 200 yds- with their Glocks.  Needless to say they were not hitting anything.  Walked up, lined it up, gave it some elevation, and drilled it on the first shot with mine….  Should have holstered and walked away then….but I didn’t.  Figured I could repeat it, 15 more rounds, never touched it again….

That was when I learned when to stop while ahead!
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
150 grain Sierra Match King.

A good bullet through a good barrel will usually give good results.

But remember, most FAL’s are 4 moa guns, even with a good bullet.

Mark Graham is right. The FAL is an axe,… not a dental pick.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

View Quote

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and say “This is a battle rifle that meets its design specs and does the job entirely adequately”.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

For a second I was thinking you were PaoloOrange from falfiles.  He shot a specially tuned aussie SLR though.  He liked the 150 SMK over the heavier bullets.  He was doing some real good work in the Italian National Matches in the category that allows FALS.   His best trick among many was bedding the rear action to eliminate play so the sights stayed in the right place.   The fact that the sights were on two different major assemblies was ok for a combat rifle but unfortunate for target shooters.
View Quote

I know PaoloOrange personally.
He’s a great dude with awesome shooting skills.

Eliminating the play between upper & lower is the starting point of a few mods.. another one is shimming the rear sight if it’s too sloppy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

View Quote

They are not inherently 4 MOA guns. 4 MOA was the outer limit of acceptance standards. Maybe 4 MOA on home built guns using clapped out parts kits with mediocre shooters.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Been a while, but I shot everything from 147-150gr, to 168gr and 175gr out of mine. All fed fine, and it loved the 168gr SMKs over and appropriate load of 4064. I never shot it over 500 yards or so, but the 175 were getting there. I imagine after 750-800 yards the 175s would be better because the 168s would have gone transonic and less stable.

I never did get around to the 110s but that was my next thing. Somebody broke in my house and stole the gun, and when I got it back a year and a half later, it had rust in it. So I sold it. Hornady 110s were supposed to be a great bullet out of them.

Mine was a DSA custom build, sent to a well known member here and at FALFiles at the time, 2003. He accurized it. It was a an Austrian front half, wuth an X Stock on the rear, series II receiver. It was a fantastic shooter, with no stringing after the work was done, with a Badger match target barrel.

Good luck with your build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top