User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
FA or 3 Round burst (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:53:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#1]
The Maxim wasn't too bad with my custom 'bumper' I installed.
I would recommend that for your unsuppressed DoE upper.
As mentioned on the Maxim thread, it doesn't suppress well in my testing.  However with my belt fed 9mm it does suppress well due to the additional time/energy required to pull the belts.

Stock Maxim

MEAN Arms testing I did on Labor Day.  Very smooth and easily pull single, double and triples at will.

What I compared on Monday.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:
Also wanted to add that I have every M16 configuration in all calibers I run except 22LR running around the 600 RPM range.

In that range, I can pull single, double, triple round bursts at will.

I find that way more fun than a non-resetting 3 round burst.
View Quote

I had a 3 round burst and a full auto M16.
Sold the 3 round burst.
Easy choice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I like FA with a Geissele SSF, you can get 3rd bursts down easy with a bit of practice.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Never tried 3rd burst to know when I'd like it.

Has there ever been a "Safe-Burst-Auto" selector and components?  I would consider one as I rarely shoot SA with mine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#5]
Full auto, pulling singles, doubles and triples is easy with practice.
m16 burst is stupid, you pull a double and the next pull is a single until the cam resets. And with 9mm, I always like to pull a couple three triple taps, a good 10rd burst and punch out the center of a target, then some triple taps u til the mag runs out, or just let it eat all 20 or so. burst only people might go "he has a binary", a half a mag people go "I wish I was that guy"
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TallPine:
Never tried 3rd burst to know when I'd like it.

Has there ever been a "Safe-Burst-Auto" selector and components?  I would consider one as I rarely shoot SA with mine.
View Quote
There was like a four position one that rotated 360 degrees. I don't know if anyone is making them now.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/M16-4-Way-Selector-Install/23-364516/
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
Having never shot either, i would think 3rb would be better.
View Quote

The problem is that if you let off the trigger too quick, you don’t get a full reset. That means your follow up shot is a single round.  If it was a “reset after release” setup, it would be OK, but it isn’t.

FA is pretty cool if you are rich or have a belt fed. It has no real world application, most of the time. If you use it for self defense, even in your home, the DA might just fuck you with charges, or keep your rifle. Before you say they can’t charge you for  using FA  in self defense, it has happened before, and DAs are every bit as moral and law abiding as cops.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BadRREngineer:

The problem is that if you let off the trigger too quick, you don’t get a full reset. That means your follow up shot is a single round.  If it was a “reset after release” setup, it would be OK, but it isn’t.

FA is pretty cool if you are rich or have a belt fed. It has no real world application, most of the time. If you use it for self defense, even in your home, the DA might just fuck you with charges, or keep your rifle. Before you say they can’t charge you for  using FA  in self defense, it has happened before, and DAs are every bit as moral and law abiding as cops.
View Quote

True.  Until the zombies come and THEN you'll see.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BadRREngineer:

View Quote

@BadRREngineer

Interesting anecdote, do you have a reference or context? I'd like to read about this case, of using FA in self defense.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BadRREngineer] [#10]
Originally Posted By ggllggll:

@BadRREngineer

Interesting anecdote, do you have a reference or context? I'd like to read about this case, of using FA in self defense.
View Quote

The Gary Fadden incident:

https://www.bevfitchett.us/firearms-news/full-auto-self-defense-the-gary-fadden-incident.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm coming up on 22 years of have a RR. I have never once thought about going with the burst option. With practice you will be able to do whatever you want. My go-to default is a C7 upper with an 11.5" barrel and H buffer. I might get the 22 upper out, but not that often.

I have a mid 2000s RRA 9mm upper with the UZI mag adapter. It's setup with a ported barrel and internal suppressor. Hasn't been out of the safe in years. The stock hammer pin lasted a few mags. The first KNS pins (dog bone style) made it a few years before they broke. I'm on the newer style of pins and they have held up well. This style of 9mm sucks, even with a heavy 9mm buffer, it's not much fun to shoot. The final nail was the Lage upper for the MAC, it has pretty much ended the M16 9mm experiment.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#12]
Originally Posted By macloud:
The final nail was the Lage upper for the MAC, it has pretty much ended the M16 9mm experiment.
View Quote
For open bolt 9mm SMG's I like my UZI's.  
For closed bolt, the MP5 has always been the king for smoothness but ergonomics sucks, as well as ease to work on, optics mounting options, mushy trigger etc.  I've been wanting a smooth 9mm setup for the M16 for over 20 years myself as well.
I finally have that now which I posted about in a few threads below this one: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ultimate-Full-Auto-CMMG-RDB-Fixed-Ejector-Project/23-550593/
Just as smooth as the MP5 but with a tune-able cyclic rate.  I've tested in the 500's to the 700's but like the mid to low 600's.
Direct link to my webpage: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I was watching the Stoner Tapes the other day and he was testing one of his LMG designs and in between bursts he made the remark about how a 3-round burst is the worst choice that could be made because by the time you get to the 3rd round you're off target but by the time that fifth round comes you can be back on. Should've made it a 5-6 round burst selector.

But like someone earlier said, the burst selector was put in as a limitation. The Army hasn't the money or inclination to actually train tens of thousands of  2-4 year enlistees how to really shoot, especially on full auto. I've been out for a long time so maybe that perspective has changed for the infantry guys with all these new-fangled wars they got going on, but that was definitely the case in the 80s and 90s when the burst switch was new.

Anyway, I finally got around to putting a Geissele SSF in my M16. This is indeed the way.

As for the janky 3-round cammed-hammer double-disconnector abomination:

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I would swap out the FCG for FA and never look back. It's easy to do short bursts with my M16A1 if desired.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
FA or 3 Round burst (Page 2 of 2)
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top