Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2023 5:43:59 PM EDT
Looking for ideas on where to engrave and if a laser would work? I know they will for aluminum receivers, but wasn’t sure about steel.
Crazy idea, but could you engrave inside the receiver opposite the ejection port, so you would only see it when you opened the bolt?
Probably not good to mess with the surface the bolt is riding on is my initial thought.

Anyone want to show what they did?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Protip.
You'll not care after you shoot it and enjoy it. Pick a spot engrave it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Protip.
View Quote

Yeah I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick it under your top rail.

Nobody's ever going to check for it anyways.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
i sbr'd a r700 receiver and just had it engraved at the back of the receiver on the same side that remington marks , it blends in fine

pretty much what everyone has said though , once your through the building stage and into the shooting stage you won't care where it is
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
To answer the other part of the question.... Yes, a fiber laser will work for steel as well as aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Good points, I’ll stop worrying about it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Protip.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Could always engrave the barrel, too...I mean, if you ever swap out the barrel, you'll probably be swapping in a longer barrel, no? And if not, you can always just engrave the new barrel too...
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cajun22] [#9]
The barrel is no longer an approved area for engraving. The rule changed in the last year or two. In this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/NFA-engraving-location-for-MP5-clone-Where-should-I-put-it-/51-536004/
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Lot of people just do the barrel. If the receiver has room I'd just do that and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Lot of people just do the barrel.
View Quote
If done prior to August 2022, that would be fine, but it's no longer a compliant location.  It must now be on the frame/receiver.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
If done prior to August 2022, that would be fine, but it's no longer a compliant location.  It must now be on the frame/receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Lot of people just do the barrel.

I saw someone else mention that a while back you got a link to the breakdown?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#13]

I saw someone else mention that a while back you got a link to the breakdown?
View Quote
The CFR was amended.

27 CFR   479.102

(a) Identification required. Except as otherwise provided in this section, you, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) Serial number, name, place of business. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or otherwise placed on the frame or receiver thereof, an individual serial number, in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The serial number must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. The frame or receiver must also be marked with either: Your name (or recognized abbreviation), and city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where you as a manufacturer or importer maintain your place of business, or in the case of a maker, where you made the firearm; or if a manufacturer or importer, your name (or recognized abbreviation) and the serial number that begins with your abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., "12345678-[unique identification number]"; and

(2) Model, caliber or gauge, foreign manufacturer, country of manufacture. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) When applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker; and

(iv) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top