Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2022 12:30:19 AM EDT
Just got the stamp approval for my Zenith MP5 clone!... I'm off to have the engraving done Tomorrow.
Others with MP5 clones, where did you have the engraving put?
Trying to decide where mine will fir on the gun, and not look too bad.

My name is 18 characters and 2 spaces, and my city/state is Port St. Lucie, Florida
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#1]
In the groove on the receiver....
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Front of magwell
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I did in the side of the rail where the collapsible stock arms ride.  Looks good and is barely noticable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bassman2:
In the groove on the receiver....
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
I did in the side of the rail where the collapsible stock arms ride.  Looks good and is barely noticable.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:
https://i.imgur.com/WEbI2Lw.jpg
View Quote

This guy gets it
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:
https://i.imgur.com/WEbI2Lw.jpg
View Quote

Hardly even noticeable when a picture is taken directly of it. Seems like a solid spot to me
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Exactly where mine is engraved.  It was recommended by Bill Gray at Gray Laser Engraving (quite handy that he's local to me).  You have to look for it, and when you see it, it's perfectly readable.  But it sure doesn't stand out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

When you say in the side are you talking the side of the channel? Pic please?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#13]
Originally Posted By tommyidone:

When you say in the side are you talking the side of the channel? Pic please?
View Quote

Where I have the blacked out line in the pic below.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I did all of mine in the stock channel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I did mine on the barrel. You can see it through the MI rail slot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stinkypol] [#16]
These combined with a hammer, some beer, a steady hand, an even steadier eye, and the barrel steadily stabilized.  
A length of duct tape to line up the letters and good lighting helps too.
I’ll leave the results to your imagination.
It works.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By artimus009:
I did mine on the barrel. You can see it through the MI rail slot.
View Quote
The barrel is no longer a compliant location for the maker's markings. As of August 2022, the name, location, and serial number must be on the frame/receiver.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
The barrel is no longer a compliant location for the maker's markings. As of August 2022, the name, location, and serial number must be on the frame/receiver.
View Quote

I don’t see how that’s enforceable. It’s written in US code that the barrel is an allowed location.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

I don't see how that's enforceable. It's written in US code that the barrel is an allowed location.
View Quote
Easily, the US Code was amended so it's black and white on the law. It was that bill last year that did several things, like the enhanced background check for 18-21 year olds. This is the current passage relevant to making NFA firearms:

27 CFR   479.102

(a) Identification required. Except as otherwise provided in this section, you, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) Serial number, name, place of business. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or otherwise placed on the frame or receiver thereof, an individual serial number, in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The serial number must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. The frame or receiver must also be marked with either: Your name (or recognized abbreviation), and city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where you as a manufacturer or importer maintain your place of business, or in the case of a maker, where you made the firearm; or if a manufacturer or importer, your name (or recognized abbreviation) and the serial number that begins with your abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., "12345678-[unique identification number]"; and

(2) Model, caliber or gauge, foreign manufacturer, country of manufacture. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) When applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker; and

(iv) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t see how that’s enforceable. It’s written in US code that the barrel is an allowed location.
View Quote

Not the US Code, but the CFR which as mentioned above was changed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:08:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#21]
I didn’t realize that CFR was amended and removing the barrel marking option in legislation passed by Congress.

And wtf is this addition:

and the serial number that begins with your abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn’t realize that CFR was amended and removing the barrel marking option in legislation passed by Congress.

And wtf is this addition:

and the serial number that begins with your abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen
View Quote

FFLS can no longer acquire unserialized PMFs. If they do, they have to serialize them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I will continue to engrave barrels. No fucks will be given
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:38:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: artimus009] [#24]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Easily, the US Code was amended so it's black and white on the law. It was that bill last year that did several things, like the enhanced background check for 18-21 year olds. This is the current passage relevant to making NFA firearms:

27 CFR   479.102

(a) Identification required. Except as otherwise provided in this section, you, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) Serial number, name, place of business. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or otherwise placed on the frame or receiver thereof, an individual serial number, in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The serial number must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. The frame or receiver must also be marked with either: Your name (or recognized abbreviation), and city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where you as a manufacturer or importer maintain your place of business, or in the case of a maker, where you made the firearm; or if a manufacturer or importer, your name (or recognized abbreviation) and the serial number that begins with your abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., "12345678-[unique identification number]"; and

(2) Model, caliber or gauge, foreign manufacturer, country of manufacture. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) When applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker; and

(iv) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

View Quote

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Not the US Code, but the CFR which as mentioned above was changed.
View Quote

Damn it. So what you’re saying is that I need to go get this re-engraved? Since I engraved it where and when I did, am I considered non/compliant until I get it done in an approved area?

ETA: I got this done January 2020.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I will continue to engrave barrels. No fucks will be given
View Quote

Apparently you do give some fucks otherwise you wouldn't bother engraving it in the first place
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By artimus009:

Damn it. So what you’re saying is that I need to go get this re-engraved? Since I engraved it where and when I did, am I considered non/compliant until I get it done in an approved area?

ETA: I got this done January 2020.
View Quote

If it was an approved location at the time of your approval, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Apparently you do give some fucks otherwise you wouldn't bother engraving it in the first place
View Quote

I can't be fully rebellious all of the time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top