Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Dillon Square Deal (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2024 12:59:23 AM EDT
I was just gifted a Square Deal by my neighbor. It looks new. I need to figure out what's needed to get it running.

Looks like it's now configured for 9mm. It also came with 40SW and 45acp conversion kits, plus a spares parts kit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Suppose I should mount it first then figure out and gather any additional parts it needs. Just ordered a mounting plate for it.  

A question I have is with the powder measure and reservoir. This PM doesn't have holes drilled for set screws to hold the reservoir. Is this an anomaly? Do I need to drill and tap a couple holes for a couple screws or am I missing something?

The linkage on this PM is different than what Dillon shows in their manual. Not sure if there's an upgrade option or if it's even necessary.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Any assistance on what I have here would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:52:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:10:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
That is a very old SDB with the original powder measure.

Call Dillon and tell them what you have and they will probably sent you the correct fail safe linkage.

Newer Dillon PM hoppers are secured to the base with a screw on either side.

https://i.imgur.com/rnUmea0l.jpg

Very top of the pic, left side you can see the screw next to the black primer mag.

Do you have the locating tabs? 3 per caliber change. Those are always missing on a used Dillon.
View Quote

I'll call Dillon about the linkage and PM not having screws.

Tabs are in the 40/10mm and 45acp conversion kits. No tabs on the press with the 9mm set up, but there are some tabs in the spares kit. Do you know what # tab is used for 9mm?

ETA: three #3 pins were in the spares bag.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -JC-:
You can send literally everything into Dillon for a refurbishment. They will replace or repair everything under warranty without charge normally, but if they do charge, it should be no more than $75 for the service.  

I've sent in a few SQDB packages for the service.  I've been charged once.

I currently have 2 square deal b presses and a 650XL press. I use my SQDBs just as much as the 650. They are fantastic pistol caliber presses.

One of my powder measures had the old fail safe like yours, I did pay the $29 for the new assembly just recently and converted it myself.  Very easy to do.

There are a few differences between the Square Deal B and older Square Deal, but everything is upgradable to current specs.

Congratulations on your new press! The 40sw kit will also work for 10mm btw.
View Quote

That's a definite possibility. I'll give Dillon a call. Looks like $50 for prepaid shipping label and box for the press to ship in.

Appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Your #3 locator buttons are the proper size for 9x19.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

That's a definite possibility. I'll give Dillon a call. Looks like $50 for prepaid shipping label and box for the press to ship in.

Appreciate the input!
View Quote

It is a great deal for a factory service, however if you are really serious about getting to know that fine press, DIY.   They may look complex, but there is not that much to them.   Dryflash has some excellent threads on the subject.  
It really doesn’t look like it has seen much use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Send it in.  Have Dillon do the rebuild.  That way you are not guessing....
It is well worth the money!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a lot of SDB's!

Below is from the Dillon website. The upgrades seem worthwhile. Sent an email to Dillon with pics to see what they suggest.

We have implemented several design improvements to current machines, all of which may be retrofitted to previous versions. The Square Deal B now has machined brass link arm bearings. This gives tighter tolerances and greater rigidity than the molded Delrin bearings used previously. Another change is the innovative “lock-link” bellcrank for the powder measures on all machines. This design requires no return springs on the powder bars, and prevents the powder bar from returning until the platform is lowered to the at-rest position. This virtually eliminates ANY chance of an accidental double charge on the auto indexing machines. This design update will fit most older powder measures.

Yep, this one has nylon bearings.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Looks like some brass must have got dropped down that shoot from the slight discoloration seen... but not many.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
There was also a handle recall/upgrade back in the 80's, check the handle closely for cracks.

If you see some contact Dillon.

My first SD I bought new had that issue. IIRC the price was $269.
View Quote

I don't see any.

Emailed Dillon with some pics to see if they want it back to upgrade or if they can send parts for me to do it myself.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
So with the older type powder measure like this one, without the screws (I have one with a 450 I bought used) the measure hopper just sits there? Seems scary to me!
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By penrod72:
So with the older type powder measure like this one, without the screws (I have one with a 450 I bought used) the measure hopper just sits there? Seems scary to me!
View Quote

Definitely... no way I'd ever use it that way.

The documentation that came with this unit is dated May 2007.

Going through some videos on the Dillon website shows my unit isn't the very early version. The very early ones have a short return spring and delrin roller on the primer sled. Also a delrin  support bracket for the slide. Mine has the longer spring, brass roller and no delrin bracket.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/sdb-product-videos.html

It also has a video showing where the frame/arm tends to crack and what to look for.

Dillon emailed back they want me to call them for the necessary parts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#15]
You have a hellov a nice neighbor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By IHC53:
You have a hellov a nice neighbor.
View Quote

That’s for sure!
I gave him a check for everything else he inherited from his BIL. He didn’t realize he also had a SDB and RL300 stuffed away. He doesn’t reload and has too many other hobbies to start now. I offered to help him and his son get started but wasn’t interested.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#18]
Talked to Dillon...

You need to pay for any upgrade or lost parts. Warranty parts/service include return shipping to customer. IF I sent it in for them to look at it would cost $85 and they would lube and replace any damaged parts. $50 for a return box.  

He recommended I do my own repairs to get to know the machine better. Said some like the old style bell crank w/o the fail safe linkage.  

Didn't have access to the right computer to look at the pictures I sent in on a ticket, so everything had to be explained back and forth several times.

The screw holding the bell crank on my unit threads into the PM. In order to upgrade to the fail safe bell crank, the unit needs to be sent back. He said they would likely just replace with a new unit. This will also address having to drill and tap holes for screws to hold the PM reservoir. Seems earlier versions had the reservoir glued in place, but there is no sign of glue residue on the PM I've got.

He said $25 for the upgrade kit, plus shipping and tax = $36.83. On the website it shows $39 for the kit which is a bit confusing. I bought this upgrade kit, but they don't install it. I'll receive it in a separate shipment.

Also was told for the brass bearings I'd need to buy the arm assemblies. Thought the delrin bushings were just fine and would last a couple decades. They only replace with brass bearings if the arms are damaged under warranty. After the call I found them on their website separately for $17/4.

ETA: Seems the newer style link arms are machined to accept the brass bearings. The older links arms with the delrin bearing won't accept the brass bearing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a hard press to work on.
If it were me I would get a new PM and fail safe linkage.

Also get a set of 4 wave bearings, if bushing are worn out, they will be too.
View Quote

Sending back the PM to be replaced/retrofitted under warranty and have the fail safe on order.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#22]
bought one years ago been pretty good but would act up at times especially after it sat.Fought some issues with it as sometimes primers ended up flipped as they seated,or wouldnt load from the tube.

Got a rebuild kit changed some things helped primer feeding but occasionally upside down primer.Took it completely apart went through it found the part that rotates the shell plate had a broken part got it back together still some issues looked online and found out it was out of timing.Adjusted that and now it seems to work great once again.Ran it troublefree since then.

Currently set up for .45 but may get 9mm conversion too just not sure if i will buy a complete tool head or change the dies and primer tube and readjust everything.Could set up for one load a bunch of one caliber change again do the same too.or spend 2 minutes to swap calibers
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:38:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I did get it mounted using the Lee bench plate kit. I already had the Lee APP, rock chucker and RC Jr mounted this way, so just had to buy another top plate and make holes in the right places.

Dillon thought a strong mount would be necessary for the spent primer catch mount/cup to fit, but I got lucky. It fits under the lip of the bench with just enough room for the primer cup to  slide in and out of the mounting bracket.

Akro bins will fit on each side of the press using the bin rail I added on the front of the bench when it was built.

I'll make a bracket to hang another bin for bullets somewhere on the left side of the press. Kinda crazy that Dillon charges $69 for their bullet bin and mount.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
You can send literally everything into Dillon for a refurbishment. They will replace or repair everything under warranty without charge normally, but if they do charge, it should be no more than $75 for the service.  

I've sent in a few SQDB packages for the service.  I've been charged once.

I currently have 2 square deal b presses and a 650XL press. I use my SQDBs just as much as the 650. They are fantastic pistol caliber presses.

One of my powder measures had the old fail safe like yours, I did pay the $29 for the new assembly just recently and converted it myself.  Very easy to do.

There are a few differences between the Square Deal B and older Square Deal, but everything is upgradable to current specs.

Congratulations on your new press! The 40sw kit will also work for 10mm btw.
View Quote

Can you expand on how you converted the linkage yourself?  When I asked them if I could just do it myself, I was told it had to be sent to Dillon to convert and likely they would just replace the PM with a new one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Just so you know OP, we ran Dillon powder measures for years without a failsafe linkage, only the spring on the powder bar.   My first 550 and SDB came new, without one.
Some guys still ditch the link, preferring that spring.
Probably best to use the link, but a polished up powder measure runs smooth and really slick.

My 750 link was a pain in the azz to get working right.  It involved heating and bending the rod, with a little file work too.   They really could have done better on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#28]
https://www.dillonprecision.com/20304

Here is what you need. Price is $39 now.

Super easy instructions.
View Quote

Not sure why the guy at Dillon insisted I had to send it in. He didn't even want to entertain me doing it myself. Charged $25 for just the fail safe rod. Guess I get the fail safe linkage after I send mine back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally got around to mailing the PM back to Dillion for replacement/upgrade to the failsafe linkage end of last week. Should be 2-3weeks before I get it back, per Dillion CS.

In the meantime I made a bracket for an akro bin to hold empty cases that's positioned in front of the finished round bin. Just replaced a cheap HF drill press with a craftsman and it gave me a chance to try it out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm going to add a camera positioned over the bullet seating station for checking powder levels.

Ordered a gooseneck led with magnetic base for illuminating the deck. Figure this has the most flexibility for light placement.

I'll need to get an expander/powder funnel for 9mm for the press. Only thing missing that I can determine so far. I'll ask Dillon if they sell them separately. Haven't been able to find it online so far.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Bin locations look good to me. Nice work.

Dillon does sell the powder funnel separately.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000233

Also, the top screws for the toolhead that are rusty on yours, I found stainless replacements at ace hardware very inexpensive. I've replaced all of mine.
View Quote

Thank you for the link, just placed an order!

I think this press was stored for years and why some superficial rust is on parts. I might have some cap screws...just need to check thread size/pitch and look. I'll check out Ace too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -JC-] [#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#33]
They should be 10-24 x .750.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45582/s000269-49_1-3169560.jpg

Ace hardware carries these: 10-24 stainless
View Quote

Thanks!

Should probably disassemble and lube this machine before using it. Looks like it uses a moly based wheel bearing grease and motor oil on the ram.

ETA: oops, there's no cylindrical ram on this machine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Thanks!

Should probably disassemble and lube this machine before using it. Looks like it uses a moly based wheel bearing grease and motor oil on the ram.
View Quote

Highly recommend doing that.  A clean and lubed progressive will be much nicer than a dirty one with dried grease.
They are not that hard to tear down and clean up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't use setscrews to hold the powder hopper on , I suspect the plastic wouldn't hold up well to pressure on only a small area.

I would use some silicone caulk/bathtub sealant type of product. fairly strong adhesive but still possible to twist it off if needed.

I love my Square deals , I have one set for lg primers and one for small . I load 380,9mm,38super , 38/357 ,45acp and 44sp/44mag.

One press is usually on 45acp and the other 38/357 . these two are 90% of my shooting , every now and then I will install one of the other calibers and go to town
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#37]

https://i.imgur.com/8e2iM54h.jpg

Correct, the last 5 or so I have rebuilt I used Cherry Balm as the sole lubrication.

I'm very happy how smooth press handle operates.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-page/black-rifle-balm  This is one one I use, works great in AR's also.
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendation!

I recall you added EZdials to your SDB PM's. Is Titan the only source for those?

I'd like to install an ez-dial from the get-go to help simplify caliber conversions. I see some cheaper alternatives, but they don't keep track of multiple turns of the bolt head.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#40]
As far as I know.

I have an Easy Dial on every one of my Dillon PM, a little over 20. So Ya, I like them.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll order one!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:58:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Like your bin mount idea thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
Like your bin mount idea thanks.
View Quote

Here's some better pictures. I'm too cheap to pay $60 for Dillion's mount.

Used a 1" aluminum angle stock to mount to the OEM bracket and 1.5" flat steel stock.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Akro bins have a wider mounting hook on the back when compared to the knock off brands at HD and other places. They firmly hook onto the flat steel stock and won't get bumped off easily.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#44]
That bullet bowl is a work of art!

I thought about just hooking a bin for empty brass on the side of the finished round bin, but knowing me I'd probably bump it off at some point.

Ordered the EZdial from Titan. $65 on sale. I like how they use excel to calibrate for different powders. Should make it easy to keep a log of dial settings for each load in each caliber.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Sent Dillion this requesting the fail-safe upgrade.  

Attachment Attached File

and I got this back today.

Attachment Attached File

After the short call with CS they're sending out the failsafe linkage tomorrow. Guess that will give me both options now... with or w/o failsafe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Use the fail safe.

My PM's drop ball and flake powder exact with the fail safe linkages intact.
View Quote

Good to know
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Dillon Square Deal (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top