BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Dillon Square Deal (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the added input... fail-safe + springs around the PM funnel = best results

The new PM received has 2 small springs that wrap around the funnel instead of the single larger spring found on the prior version.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
If it were me, I would only run 1 of those springs.

The 2 spring set up was meant for use before the FS linkage came along.
View Quote

Appreciate the input. I'll try one spring first along with the fail safe and weigh several charges to check consistency and feel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Just added a $25 camera to visually confirm powder is in the case without having to reposition myself while seated. Probably not needed if standing. It's 2MP 1080dpi and much clearer than the cheap camera I put on the balance beam. Can easily switch between cameras on the computer.

Also added a goose neck LED light that's dimmable. Helps to have adjustable lighting to get the clearest picture.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just need the fail-safe linkage to arrive to get started....
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks nice!  I have a Square Deal from the same era (pre "B") and I really like it.

I just run the PM as it came with the springs and I've not had any problem with it.

For a brass bin I just hang the bin off the edge of the finished bullet bin and it has worked, but I like how your bracket works, I might have to look into making one some time.

DF3 mentioned that the handle arm was weak in the early model. I broke mine a year or two ago.  Dillon sent me a new one of the current reinforced design after I emailed them pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Well done blowout. A+.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]

I just can't HTML today...
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
Looks nice!  I have a Square Deal from the same era (pre "B") and I really like it.

I just run the PM as it came with the springs and I've not had any problem with it.

For a brass bin I just hang the bin off the edge of the finished bullet bin and it has worked, but I like how your bracket works, I might have to look into making one some time.

DF3 mentioned that the handle arm was weak in the early model. I broke mine a year or two ago.  Dillon sent me a new one of the current reinforced design after I emailed them pics.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/20230402_223058_jpg-3175488.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/20230402_223017_jpg-3175490.JPG
View Quote

Wow, that just snapped off! Do you recall if it was while seating a primer or on the down stroke when it happened?  I'm guessing seating a primer but I could be wrong.

Had to trim the lip on the bin that sits on the OEM bracket in order to remove it once the new bracket was attached.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#10]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Well done blowout. A+.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Well done blowout. A+.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By wildearp:

I just can't HTML today...

We all have days like that...
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Wow, that just snapped off! Do you recall if it was while seating a primer or on the down stroke when it happened?  I'm guessing seating a primer but I could be wrong.

Had to trim the lip on the bin that sits on the OEM bracket in order to remove it once the new bracket was attached.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/bin_cut_jpg-3175704.JPG
View Quote

Yup, broke off on the priming stroke.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:41:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#13]
The handle on my press looks like this. Does this look like the old version? It almost looks reinforced at the break point shown in the earlier photo.  

Attachment Attached File

The fail-safe linkage arrived today.
Attachment Attached File

Discovered the new fail-safe push rod bought from Dillion had the hole for the cotter pin drilled too far from the end. It caused the rod to bind when the cotter pin was installed.

Attachment Attached File

Drilled a second hole closer to the end of the rod which fixed the issue.  

Attachment Attached File

EasyDial also arrived. Just need to calibrate it now...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
The handle on my press looks like this. Does this look like the old version? It almost looks reinforced at the break point shown in the earlier photo.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/21_jpg-3176149.JPG

snip
View Quote

Yes, that looks like the new handle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#16]
Originally Posted By -JC-:
My personal opinion,  keep the springs on top after upgrading the failsafe linkage below.  The springs provide an extra layer of security and also have the added benefit of a "snap" that most people agree leads to a more consistent powder throw. There are quite a few videos out there on this topic.

I've been running my powder measures with new failsafe + top springs for years.
View Quote
I hate the fail safe rods and run the springs.  I heard about the myth of more consistent power drops so I did a test for my self and found the spring was a tiny bit better, but both were so close it would never matter.

Congrats OP on the press, very cool.  I keep thinking I need one of these, but have never came across the right deal.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

Yes, that looks like the new handle.
View Quote

Great, thanks for confirming this!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:35:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Easy Dial, I could never figure out the part with a hole in it that looks like a electrical lug with a square solid end?

Couldn't find it in the instructions, so left it out. Works good without it.
View Quote

I'm not sure what this piece is for.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
I hate the fail safe rods and run the springs.  I heard about the myth of more consistent power drops so I did a test for my self and found the spring was a tiny bit better, but both were so close it would never matter.

Congrats OP on the press, very cool.  I keep thinking I need one of these, but have never came across the right deal.
View Quote

I plan to do a series of powder drops after calibrating the easydial. I might just try a couple options (with one and 2 springs attached) just to see if there's a measurable difference.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

@Blowout

I think that piece is used to keep the dial assembly from rotating when the dial is chassis

mounted in an electronic project application. The three dimples in the ring part lock

into the dial bezel and the "blocky" looking thing on the tab locks into a square hole

in the chassis. This locks the dial bezel to the chassis.

Those dials are really intended for a multi-turn potentiometer in electronics applications.

I have a bunch of them.

View Quote

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll toss it!

Sounds like you may have used this in another application.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Dillon Square Deal (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top