Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2018 10:20:38 PM EDT
Been giving some thought about coated bullets.  I’m currently using plated for steel and uspsa.  Does anyone have an opinion on coated for 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
do it

bluebullets sns, bayou, precision

all good.

Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I would choose coated over plated any day of the week. I like BBI personally but all the coated bullets companies are generally good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
i have used plated and coated. i prefer coated over plated as the accuracy seems better.  but these days there are some good deals on FMJ. Sometimes close or less than plated or coated.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I use coated in .45 and .40 without issue. Blue and BBI are my top choices, although I also use Bayou and SNS. An interesting one to watch is Eggleston. I ordered from them once, and thought they had a GREAT product. I need to do some more research there, but my initial response was really GREAT with Eggleston.

Blue are great, but they leave you with "Smurf Fingers" when you reload with them as the blue coating likes to come off on your fingers. I have learned to use disposable gloves when I am loading them
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Eggleston website had some interesting information.  I can see the benefits of making the change over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eggleston website had some interesting information.  I can see the benefits of making the change over.
View Quote
Before I started casting, all I shot in 9mm and 38spc was egglestons. I was very pleased with their bullets.

And, if you do some searching, there is a pretty good coupon which can get you a 4000 count shipped to your house for about $.065 each.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I am happy with Xtreme's plated in 9mm (124g) ... I buy in gross during free shipping holiday runs and get them for under 7 cents delivered.

I too thought about coated.....but am getting good accuracy with xtreme plated and tough to find coated cheaper whenever I look.

I did shoot some friends coated bullets in my pistols, and accuracy was actually worse, but in fairness, that was compared to plated rounds I tuned for my pistol(s).

be interested to hear what you think of the coated if you go that direction OP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Been shooting Acme's or MBC's for a few years now, and probably 20000 rounds in 9 and 45.  No issues here.  My 115gr 9mm and 185gr 45 are loaded pretty hot and I have had no issues with leading.  My 147gr 9mm and 230gr 45 are loaded to be slow and easy to shoot.  Accuracy is on par with jacketed bullets.

Only thing I will say is there is a difference between powder coated and HiTek coated.  HiTek will hold up better with hotter powders and higher velocities.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I like SNS, Missouri, and Acme HiTek Coated bullets.  They are at price point that makes sense for me!
Leatherheads is another good brand!

The absence of most smoke is great!  Using N320 in 9MM makes for some clean shooting reloads!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:...As for if you are going to get into casting for USPSA, then always cast a truncated bullet...
View Quote
If he's shooting steel and USPSA, he won't have time to cast his own bullets

http://precisionbullets.com/shop-now/

http://www.snscasting.com/coated-bullets-1/

http://www.bayoubullets.net/categories/hi-tek-supercoat-premium-bullets.html

http://www.thebluebullets.com/default.asp
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
If shooting something with a comp you might like to stay with plated, lots of people get heavy fouling in the comp with coated, some find success there too.

Every other USPSA application they work as well as anything, usually for less money, you can chase sales and beat the standard coated price maybe, but then most coated bullet outfits have sales throughout the year and discount codes or bulk discounts.

I usually cast and PC, but have shot thousands of commercial Hi-Tek and occasionally still do.

The Blue Bullets, SNS Casting, Gallant Bullets, as well as a now defunct local producer, all performed acceptably in 9mm minor and 40 major.

Flair the case plenty, don't over crimp.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If shooting something with a comp you might like to stay with plated, lots of people get heavy fouling in the comp with coated, some find success there too.
View Quote
I have had the same experience with Hi Tek coated bullets. I plugged up a silencer to the point I didn't think it was safe to continue shooting through it.

I had better results going to a larger diameter bullet, but it still produced noticably more buildup than copper plated bullets.

Write-up with pictures here.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I also have found cleaning the bore after shooting my powder coated bullets is very easy. This is not a claim but at times it even seems easier than after shooting jacketed.

Like dryflash3 I haven't any load pressure related problems with powder coating. I haven't purposefully tried to find the limits. One of my 500 S&W loads produces over 30k pressure and I'm using a non gas checked powder coated bullet with awesome accuracy and no bullet issues. This same bullet uncoated would paint the interior of the muzzle brake with lead due to base edge pressure cutting. With PC they shoot clean.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive only bought from SNS.  I bought a metric shitload a few years ago.  They were all gold colored.  I bought some 9mm from them recently that is red.  The red ones pretty much do not flake any coating at all when loading.  I am happy with the gold colored i bought years ago but the red coating seems tougher from a loading perspective.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive only bought from SNS.  I bought a metric shitload a few years ago.  They were all gold colored.  I bought some 9mm from them recently that is red.  The red ones pretty much do not flake any coating at all when loading.  I am happy with the gold colored i bought years ago but the red coating seems tougher from a loading perspective.
View Quote
That red coating is tough.  I picked up 10K 9mm of them last year then switched to major.

All I shoot now are 180 grain .40 Blue Bullets.  Cheapest I've found.  They do give you smurf fingers though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Plating without at least a strike in a bullet forming die is painfully soft copper.

Coated is actually often harder and works better.

Uniform plating is also a real PITA to achieve.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I just made the switch from plated to PC.  I'm casting my own and "shake and bake" coating them.  It's a longer process, but it gets the price down to just over $.02 per bullet.

I've seen very little leading and gotten great accuracy--I can't see any advantage in using plated bullets, especially if you factor in the cost savings!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I tried coated from SNS a few years back because they were cheaper than plated.  I haven't looked back since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top