Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2017 11:01:41 AM EDT
Interesting bit of NFA history. I had no idea the amnesty included stolen property (happened well before my time).

EARLY MANUFACTURED COLT AR-15 AMNESTY REGISTERED AS FULL-AUTO MACHINE GUN (FULLY TRANSFERABLE)

What You Didn't Know About the 1968 Machine Gun Amnesty
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait, per this guy they allowed convicted felons to LEGALLY maintain possession of MG's registered in the amnesty?

out of
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait, per this guy they allowed convicted felons to LEGALLY maintain possession of MG's registered in the amnesty?
View Quote
Felons don't have to forfeit their firearms just because they have become prohibited persons. In the case of NFA firearms, they can turn them over to their attorney to sell or transfer them to non-prohibited friends/family members.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy jebus that M16 is jacked up.  

Is it me or does it look like somebody milled away all the marking on the lower half of the magwell and than painted the bare aluminum with gray hobby/model paint and also milled the "auto" portion of the selector away.

I cant imagine anybody paying the estimated $20,700 to $32,200 (after buyer premium) for that gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is it me or does it look like somebody milled away all the marking on the lower half of the magwell and than painted the bare aluminum with gray hobby/model paint and also milled the "auto" portion of the selector away.

I cant imagine anybody paying the estimated $20,700 to $32,200 (after buyer premium) for that gun.
View Quote
It may go for the lower end, but it's going to break 20k.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It may go for the lower end, but it's going to break 20k.
View Quote
If somebody does pay in the low 20s for it they are getting robbed.  There are multiple Colt M16s on subguns right now for under 25K that are not beat to shit like this gun is.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Paint or JB weld. Interesting how they were able to determine SN, X-Ray?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Felons don't have to forfeit their firearms just because they have become prohibited persons. In the case of NFA firearms, they can turn them over to their attorney to sell or transfer them to non-prohibited friends/family members.
View Quote
Watch video.

He is claiming an amnesty registered gun cannot be taken away from a a felon who registered it. He can keep it, shoot it, whatever. Unless there is Case Law I am unaware of (quite possible), he is incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If somebody does pay in the low 20s for it they are getting robbed.  There are multiple Colt M16s on subguns right now for under 25K that are not beat to shit like this gun is.
View Quote
yep

The only reason to buy that gun is a) very low price, or b) the story behind it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Watch video.

He is claiming an amnesty registered gun cannot be taken away from a a felon who registered it. He can keep it, shoot it, whatever. Unless there is Case Law I am unaware of (quite possible), he is incorrect.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you that the dude in the video doesn't know what he's talking about. The amnesty makes the gun legal, but doesn't grant special owernship privileges to a prohibited person owner.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting bit of NFA history. I had no idea the amnesty included stolen property (happened well before my time).
View Quote

The 1968 amnesty didn't make government stolen property suddenly unstolen, it can still be confiscated by ATF.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

yep

The only reason to buy that gun is a) very low price, or b) the story behind it.
View Quote
A cool story plus the fact that there is a YouTube video about it might be worth a couple extra grand to a buyer. They know which is why they make those videos. The vid is are full of neat historic info but the real reason they make them is for marketing/advertising their items to be sold.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 1968 amnesty didn't make government stolen property suddenly unstolen, it can still be confiscated by ATF.
View Quote
Yep, that too.

Imagine if every us soldier registered their M16 in 1968, does that mean they get to keep them? What if they also registered LAAWs, hand grenades, M60s, etc. Down right silly to think they get to keep them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, that too.

Imagine if every us soldier registered their M16 in 1968, does that mean they get to keep them? What if they also registered LAAWs, hand grenades, M60s, etc. Down right silly to think they get to keep them.
View Quote
Not to be argumentative; genuinely curious: if not by this method, then how did "US Government Property" marked firearms get into the civilian transferable NFA registry?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not to be argumentative; genuinely curious: if not by this method, then how did "US Government Property" marked firearms get into the civilian transferable NFA registry?
View Quote
I don't know this for sure but one possibility is a weapon so marked was first turned into DEWAT (deactivated war trophy) by cutting the receiver in half and sold for scrap, and later reactivated (reweld) and registered.

DEWAT'ing is probably not possible for any current military weapons either as a matter of DoD policy, or maybe even written law.  Heck, even ammo brass has to be shredded before being sold as scrap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was stolen and then amnesty registered.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was stolen and then amnesty registered.
View Quote
So you are saying the MG became legally transferrable because of the amnesty, but the thief would still be subject to prosecution?

If so, the ground off serial number would make more sense, as it would be harder to trace back to the individual / unit. Although it seems like most of the government property marked NFA stuff up for sale lacks that "feature".
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A cool story plus the fact that there is a YouTube video about it might be worth a couple extra grand to a buyer. They know which is why they make those videos. The vid is are full of neat historic info but the real reason they make them is for marketing/advertising their items to be sold.
View Quote
Seems like win-win. Good advertising for the auction house, and some cool content for gun aficionados and history buffs, 99.9% of whom will never be able to afford this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know this for sure but one possibility is a weapon so marked was first turned into DEWAT (deactivated war trophy) by cutting the receiver in half and sold for scrap, and later reactivated (reweld) and registered.

DEWAT'ing is probably not possible for any current military weapons either as a matter of DoD policy, or maybe even written law.  Heck, even ammo brass has to be shredded before being sold as scrap.
View Quote
I believe John Norrell had some US Property M16s confiscated thinking they were stolen, and then returned once xrayed showing they had been cut and welded.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Some were marked for a contract, then never officially delivered, so remained property of their manufacturers who could retain them, sell them to dealers or PDs.

Some were provided to allies or recovered from enemy forces, reacquired and brought home as war trophies or amnesty-registered.

Yes, some were stolen (probably also reported as combat or training losses), and then later amnesty-registered.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So you are saying the MG became legally transferrable because of the amnesty, but the thief would still be subject to prosecution?

If so, the ground off serial number would make more sense, as it would be harder to trace back to the individual / unit. Although it seems like most of the government property marked NFA stuff up for sale lacks that "feature".
View Quote
Again, stolen property doesn't magically become unstolen by amnesty registration, amnesty registration of stolen government property is invalid, it doesn't matter that ATF accepted the amnesty registration in 1968.  ATF has, and continues to, confiscate stolen government property even if it was amnesty registered.  Current owners are not compensated.  It doesn't matter how many times the firearm was transferred in the past.  It doesn't matter that it's worth $50,000.  All you would get back is your $200 for the tax stamp.  If you fought it and lost you might even face prison time for possession of stolen property.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
My m16 was traded by the dept of energy for a batch of ar15's. I have the forms and foia info to back that up. I am sure this is how a lot of the property marked guns got out in the wild.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The gun in the OP sold for $23,000 + buyer's premium (15% for cash/check, 18% for credit card) = $26,450 cash/check + shipping cost.

WTF?  Somebody must have bought the story, or they really, really wanted those rare collectible .22 magazines...

-----

About the "Property of U.S. Govt" guns, consider the possibility of rewelds, as mentioned earlier:

Tony_k had this to say about them in this thread from 2011:

Absent markings [from the person who did the rewelding], the only way you will know is by filing an FOIA ... but from my experience, every time I see a U.S. Property-marked M16, I assume it is a reweld until I see an FOIA or other documentation proving otherwise, because the vast majority of U.S. Property-marked M16s are indeed rewelds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool story and a great video!
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My m16 was traded by the dept of energy for a batch of ar15's. I have the forms and foia info to back that up. I am sure this is how a lot of the property marked guns got out in the wild.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I've read, many (or most?) "U.S. Government Property" marked M16s are former DOE guns that were used as security firearms at numerous U.S. nuclear power generation facilities and the Alaskan pipeline.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top