Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It takes approximately 1-2 minutes to change from one side to the other. There’s a video up on the Facebook group.

Adam Litke also has a video up where he had a first time tavor 7 shooter (2nd time scar 17 shooter) shoot them side by side from 100-300 yards with eagle eye .5 moa guarantee match ammo. The Tavor 7 topped out at 1.5moa the scar 17 at 1.67 moa
View Quote
There's an old SOF (I think) interview with a former IRA guy discussing how they would set up ambushes on certain sides of the street to take advantage of the limitation imposed by the R side ejection of the SA80 (bullpup), wherein the UK soldiers couldn't take cover in door ways on the left side of the street due to that.  Probably would've been kind of nice to be able to switch ejection side on the fly.  Then again, the SA80 isn't the epitome of bullpup design.

I'm not suggesting it's a bad design or that it won't work.  Only that the ejection port on a bullpup is a limitation in certain circumstances.  I would think bullpup designers in particular would've taken notice of the case switching feature on the ARX & try to emulate it in some fashion.  Guess not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There's an old SOF (I think) interview with a former IRA guy discussing how they would set up ambushes on certain sides of the street to take advantage of the limitation imposed by the R side ejection of the SA80 (bullpup), wherein the UK soldiers couldn't take cover in door ways on the left side of the street due to that.  Probably would've been kind of nice to be able to switch ejection side on the fly.  Then again, the SA80 isn't the epitome of bullpup design.

I'm not suggesting it's a bad design or that it won't work.  Only that the ejection port on a bullpup is a limitation in certain circumstances.  I would think bullpup designers in particular would've taken notice of the case switching feature on the ARX & try to emulate it in some fashion.  Guess not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes approximately 1-2 minutes to change from one side to the other. There’s a video up on the Facebook group.

Adam Litke also has a video up where he had a first time tavor 7 shooter (2nd time scar 17 shooter) shoot them side by side from 100-300 yards with eagle eye .5 moa guarantee match ammo. The Tavor 7 topped out at 1.5moa the scar 17 at 1.67 moa

I feel like no matter how simple the process is, short of literally maybe hitting a single button, switching ejection port sides in the middle of a firefight is one of the last things anyone would or should ever do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Whoo Hoo . LGS called and said my Tavor 7 should be in the middle of next week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I work for a IWI distributor.  We received our first batch of IWI Tavor 7's yesterday and they are shipping out to dealers today.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I work for a IWI distributor.  We received our first batch of IWI Tavor 7's yesterday and they are shipping out to dealers today.
View Quote
Any leads on dealers with a decent price? Everywhere I've seen it show up so far was $1932 on the dot, which makes me wonder if it's being price controlled or something.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any leads on dealers with a decent price? Everywhere I've seen it show up so far was $1932 on the dot, which makes me wonder if it's being price controlled or something.
View Quote
IWI’s web page shows MSRP is 2099, and one price on Gunbroker is 1932, but most are 1999+, but it’s interesting that places have the same weird price.  Minimum Advertised Price scheme?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I feel like no matter how simple the process is, short of literally maybe hitting a single button, switching ejection port sides in the middle of a firefight is one of the last things anyone would or should ever do.
View Quote
Go back & reread the scenario I related, then ask yourself why you posted a nonsequitor reply.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The location of the ejection port presents the single biggest tactical weakness of the bullpup configuration.  If IWI could've implemented switchable ejection similar to the Beretta ARX, I would be all over this rifle.  As it is, having to pull the carrier & rotate & reinsert the bolt is only slightly less cumbersome than the 5.56 Tavor series.  I'm a little surprised they didn't go the extra mile on th ou s particular feature.
View Quote
The ARX has open receiver ejection ports on both sides and a conventional stock.  That obviously won’t work well on a bullpup where your face is laying against on side of the receiver.  The way to make it work on a bullpup is forward ejection like the FS2000 and RFB, or downward ejection like the RDB, but either would be a significant deviation from the Tavor design.  At least IWI made the Tavor 7 convertible as it comes without having to buy a separate left hand bolt, which the SAR and X95 require.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go back & reread the scenario I related, then ask yourself why you posted a nonsequitor reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understood what you said, I just don’t think it’s particularly relevant or an important quality. You’re welcome to disagree with that, and presumably if you posted it, you do. I feel that any way of switching the ejection side is still something that’ll be done in a relaxed setting, and done to accommodate left hand shooters; not something that would ever be done on the fly in combat (which is why I am assuming you mention your anecdote about SA-80 ambushes). Thus, as long as it’s doable at the user level and preferably without tools, I don’t see a big difference between how that swap is done either way.

The few times I’ve had to shoot an issued M4 from strong side cover, I just swapped shoulders and made it work. I could see how doing that with a bullpup would be a pain in the ass. Still, even if swapping ejection was easily available to me, I doubt I’d have messed with it. If someone else would have, I see why they would, and more power to them I guess.

The ARX has a very nifty ejection switch design, and I’d rather more rifles be more capable of doing more things with a greater ease. I think we can agree on that. I wish more bullpups circumvented the whole issue by ejecting downward like the P90 or forward like the F2000, but maybe those designs are less desirable for other reasons I’m not privy to.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The ARX has open receiver ejection ports on both sides and a conventional stock.  That obviously won’t work well on a bullpup where your face is laying against on side of the receiver.  The way to make it work on a bullpup is forward ejection like the FS2000 and RFB, or downward ejection like the RDB, but either would be a significant deviation from the Tavor design.  At least IWI made the Tavor 7 convertible as it comes without having to buy a separate left hand bolt, which the SAR and X95 require.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The location of the ejection port presents the single biggest tactical weakness of the bullpup configuration.  If IWI could've implemented switchable ejection similar to the Beretta ARX, I would be all over this rifle.  As it is, having to pull the carrier & rotate & reinsert the bolt is only slightly less cumbersome than the 5.56 Tavor series.  I'm a little surprised they didn't go the extra mile on th ou s particular feature.
I’m inclined to agree here. The ARX probably has the best ability to switch ejection port sides of anything on the market, at least that I’m aware of. But the things that lend it that ability are not things becoming of a bullpup design. The MDR tried with their little flippable scissor port thing, but while nifty, it seems like it may have caused more issues than it solved.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to correct my earlier post.

It was 1.5 MOA with perfecta BALL ammo, the match ammo was slightly better.
View Quote
1.5 with ball is impressive..... Should be Sub MOA with Match ammo
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
The always open port covers was a design choice, not a necessity.   The T7 already has the sliding port covers to shield the user from getting gassed.  It was doable, but no one bothered.  Fwd ejection does work, but it adds "plumbing" bulk to the design for funneling the cases.  It also creates a channel that can potentially be blocked.

The SOF article scenario I related illustrates the potential issue.  A design feature that limits or restricts use in some way should be addressed, if it can be.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understood what you said, I just don’t think it’s particularly relevant or an important quality. You’re welcome to disagree with that, and presumably if you posted it, you do. I feel that any way of switching the ejection side is still something that’ll be done in a relaxed setting, and done to accommodate left hand shooters; not something that would ever be done on the fly in combat (which is why I am assuming you mention your anecdote about SA-80 ambushes). Thus, as long as it’s doable at the user level and preferably without tools, I don’t see a big difference between how that swap is done either way.

The few times I’ve had to shoot an issued M4 from strong side cover, I just swapped shoulders and made it work. I could see how doing that with a bullpup would be a pain in the ass. Still, even if swapping ejection was easily available to me, I doubt I’d have messed with it. If someone else would have, I see why they would, and more power to them I guess.

The ARX has a very nifty ejection switch design, and I’d rather more rifles be more capable of doing more things with a greater ease. I think we can agree on that. I wish more bullpups circumvented the whole issue by ejecting downward like the P90 or forward like the F2000, but maybe those designs are less desirable for other reasons I’m not privy to.
View Quote
Don't get wrong here.  I'm not suggesting that what IWI did was bad.  It's just that they were so close, but didn't take it all the way.  Honestly, I wish the ARX had a sliding port cover like the T7 has.  That's pretty slick right there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to correct my earlier post.

It was 1.5 MOA with perfecta BALL ammo, the match ammo was slightly better.
That's damn near groundbreaking for a bullpup semi auto. That's very, very good. With 1-1.5moa, if you can't hit with that out to 500-600 yards, it's you, not the gun. My biggest problem shooting long distances is wind, even though we don't have a lot around here. Reading it is a perishable skill, even if you remember all the cues in your head. It's the same as reading distance. If you don't do it enough, then you lose it. It's doubly bad when you haven't done either in over 10 years. I haven't been able to get out to the farm or my buddy's dad's house due to health in a very long time, so for me it would be all my fault.

I used to do a lot of in the 80s and 90s, very early 2000s.

This rifle should be amazing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want Sub MOA, get a DT MDR.  Oh, wait.........
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Selling my SCAR 16 to fund a Tavor 7...
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you want Sub MOA, get a DT MDR.  Oh, wait.........
View Quote
HAHA...MDR=epic fail
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s a step up. I’ve really wanted a scar 16/17 but the fact you can’t suppress them without them breaking themself’s is a huge turn off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Grabbed mine!
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That’s a step up. I’ve really wanted a scar 16/17 but the fact you can’t suppress them without them breaking themself’s is a huge turn off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
?

Tons suppress their 16’s and 17’s
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
?

Also tons of threads about their rifles getting bunch of micro fracture’s and FN not warranting them
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I was considering selling my SCAR 17 to buy a Bren 2 BR, but seeing as how guns will probably be completely illegal before the BR comes out, I think I might sell the SCAR now and go for a Tavor 7.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Also tons of threads about their rifles getting bunch of micro fracture’s and FN not warranting them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
?

I understood this to be an issue with improperly treated parts though, not anything inherently wrong with suppressing them. FN may or may not want to warranty them if altered from OEM, they seem a bit behind the times like that. If I were to send a SCAR in, I’d definitely err on the side of caution and return it to OEM first.

Either way, it has adjustable gas jets, one can gas the SCAR however much they want, if anything they’re more suppressable than a lot of alternatives.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I understood this to be an issue with improperly treated parts though, not anything inherently wrong with suppressing them. FN may or may not want to warranty them if altered from OEM, they seem a bit behind the times like that. If I were to send a SCAR in, I’d definitely err on the side of caution and return it to OEM first.

Either way, it has adjustable gas jets, one can gas the SCAR however much they want, if anything they’re more suppressable than a lot of alternatives.
View Quote
That's the problem. They consider attaching a suppressor as "altered from OEM", look for signs of suppressor use, and if they find it they deny the warranty. Which is obscene on a 3k gun.

The Tavor 7 is designed with being suppressed in mind.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's the problem. They consider attaching a suppressor as "altered from OEM", look for signs of suppressor use, and if they find it they deny the warranty. Which is obscene on a 3k gun.

View Quote
Do they? I realize that’s skirting the issue of a dumb warranty policy and not addressing any mechanical issues, but I have to think that putting it back to OEM would mitigate most of these issues.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say the SCAR can’t be shot suppressed without breaking, especially given they have adjustable gas plugs that allow for fine tuning. If anything they’re above average. Plus military 17’s and 20’s are issued with suppressors and mounts.

The problem is more what happens *if* they break after being suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Do they? I realize that’s skirting the issue of a dumb warranty policy and not addressing any mechanical issues, but I have to think that putting it back to OEM would mitigate most of these issues.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say the SCAR can’t be shot suppressed without breaking, especially given they have adjustable gas plugs that allow for fine tuning. If anything they’re above average. Plus military 17’s and 20’s are issued with suppressors and mounts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve had a scar 17 on my short list for awhile. Seems it’s not “if” it breaks from being suppressed. It’s “when” it breaks. The gun just beats the shit
Out of itself.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Military doesnt care if they beat themselves to death. They just buy another with the near endless funds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Military doesnt care if they beat themselves to death. They just buy another with the near endless funds.
View Quote
Exactly my point. I feel the scar is a flawed design. So the tavor 7 gives me great hope
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’ve had a scar 17 on my short list for awhile. Seems it’s not “if” it breaks from being suppressed. It’s “when” it breaks. The gun just beats the shit
Out of itself.
View Quote
I’m not sure how, at least if one uses the swappable gas plugs to adjust for the added backpressure. Added backpressure prematurely damaging parts is an issue on any overgassed rifle, it’s not like the SCAR is unique in that. At least the SCAR has a solution built in, even if it’s discouraged by the FN warranty (which is lame).

ETA I realize this whole thing is not discussing the T7. I’m glad that rifles like the T7 increasingly use gas blocks with multiple preset settings, and that’s a big step in the right direction relative to traditional ARs and AKs. I’m also assuming IWI is more aftermarket friendly than FN.

I’m hoping to hold out for an FDE 7, but if I saw a deal I doubt I could hold out. At least initially, it seems like they’ve done a solid initial rollout and I hope no issues arise later on. Hopefully waiting for the FDE lets any possible issues be identified.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a SAR in FDE and an X95 in OD. So the 7 is black.

My Tavor family.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 1:44:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That’s exactly my plan.

Or OD green.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not sure how, at least if one uses the swappable gas plugs to adjust for the added backpressure. Added backpressure prematurely damaging parts is an issue on any overgassed rifle, it’s not like the SCAR is unique in that. At least the SCAR has a solution built in, even if it’s discouraged by the FN warranty (which is lame).

ETA I realize this whole thing is not discussing the T7. I’m glad that rifles like the T7 increasingly use gas blocks with multiple preset settings, and that’s a big step in the right direction relative to traditional ARs and AKs. I’m also assuming IWI is more aftermarket friendly than FN.

I’m hoping to hold out for an FDE 7, but if I saw a deal I doubt I could hold out. At least initially, it seems like they’ve done a solid initial rollout and I hope no issues arise later on. Hopefully waiting for the FDE lets any possible issues be identified.
That’s exactly my plan.

Or OD green.
My Tavor SAR is FDE, so I don't know if I'd like a Tavor 7 to match, or if I'd like an OD one. I use to buy all my plastic / polymer stuff in OD when I could. My DSA FAL was OD with the X Series stock on the back half, and the STG58 standard black fore end with the Bipod and long flash hider.

I had an OD green Arsenal SLR101s as well. I love the OD green stuff for some reason.

It'll be a couple of years most likely either way. I've got saving up to do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#35]
My preference is OD green as well, my inhibitions to purchasing something new are automatically lowered when it is available in green.

My SAR is green, but for the 7, it'll be a race between finding FDE or green first.  I am hoping this first batch does well!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Been watching this thread for a while. Really looking forward to reviews of it. I’m thinking of getting one. Always wanted a bullpup 308 but never like the Kel Tec.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I want a bull pup and I want a 308.  I'm torn on the T7 or perhaps get a x95 and build an AR10.  I guess I'll wait for the review, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Back to the original topic, where is the Tavor 7?  The answer is in my house

Although bullpups are generally heavy to the rear, the balance doesn’t seem too bad on the Tavor 7.  Seems a bit better balanced than my SAR or X95.  Trigger seems decent, more like the X95 than the original SAR.  Not sure about the buttpad, though.  Very thin checkered hard plastic.  Strange there is a much thicker rubber buttpad on the previous 5.56 guns than on the heavier 7.62.  Unfortunately it will be a while before I can shoot it, but at least it’s here and have some time to select an optic.

Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Although bullpups are generally heavy to the rear, the balance doesn’t seem too bad on the Tavor 7.  Seems a bit better balanced than my SAR or X95.  Trigger seems decent, more like the X95 than the original SAR.  Not sure about the buttpad, though.  Very thin checkered hard plastic.  Strange there is a much thicker rubber buttpad on the previous 5.56 guns than on the heavier 7.62.  Unfortunately it will be a while before I can shoot it, but at least it’s here and have some time to select an optic.

https://i.imgur.com/b2imkGe.jpg
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/b2imkGe.jpg
View Quote
Whats that lock behind the grip?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Whats that lock behind the grip?
View Quote
It’s the barrel lock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like a barrel lock to me.   Like on the x95 and tavor. Just a different location and other side.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It’s the barrel lock.
View Quote
Ahh thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
2.3 MOA with M80 or Federal Match Gold 168gr, its a big difference...
View Quote
2.3 huh. Are they advertising it as "2.3"? Seems to me that the 0.3 moa is a ploy to not say it's "about" 2.5 moa or "less than" 2.5 moa. Is a 2.5 moa semi auto .308 really that bad of a sell? Not to me. You could say it's more accurate than a FAL or G3 and I'd still buy it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

2.3 huh. Are they advertising it as "2.3"? Seems to me that the 0.3 moa is a ploy to not say it's "about" 2.5 moa or "less than" 2.5 moa. Is a 2.5 moa semi auto .308 really that bad of a sell? Not to me. You could say it's more accurate than a FAL or G3 and I'd still buy it.
View Quote
They were asked their average and their listed their average. If your average is 2.3 why would you state it being worse just for the people that want to round up?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#46]
The desire is still strong.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Is the MOA claim for a 3, 5, or 10 shot group?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Wll there be a 20" version?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I think the only thing thats really keeping my eagerness to pick one up in check is the thought that theyll just turn around and release a Tavor 7 gen 2 or whatever after all the beta testers that paid $2k for the privilege discover flaws in the rifle.

I know they have plenty of experience with bullpups and everything... but still. It seems like that's how things happen now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think the only thing thats really keeping my eagerness to pick one up in check is the thought that theyll just turn around and release a Tavor 7 gen 2 or whatever after all the beta testers that paid $2k for the privilege discover flaws in the rifle.

I know they have plenty of experience with bullpups and everything... but still. It seems like that's how things happen now.
View Quote
That can and does happen with pretty much anything from guns to cars to electronics. If you're always waiting for the next, better version...you're going to be waiting forever.

From what i've read they've been running these pretty hard in testing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top