Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The ones I recently acquired are Perfect.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a couple of the earlier JDI imports, and comparing those to the pictures I'm seeing on Gunbroker, it looks like the quality of the finish and markings has tanked.
Anybody disagree?
Uppers and lowers seem to be mismatched too.
View Quote

I have a few JDI imported SIGs, and the quality of the finish on my 2021 16" 551 is on par with my previous purchases.  The grey finish on the 551 receivers is as good as the finish on my PE90.  The finish on the 16" barrel appears to be the same as the finish on my other JDI SIGs.

The only "other" I would say about the 16" 551 is the flash suppressor isn't as nice as the flash suppressor on the 17.7" 551LB or the PE90.  That's not a knock on the quality of the shorter barreled 551.  I just prefer the slightly longer design and more intricate machining of the flash suppressor on the longer barrels.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have a few JDI imported SIGs, and the quality of the finish on my 2021 16" 551 is on par with my previous purchases.  The grey finish on the 551 receivers is as good as the finish on my PE90.  The finish on the 16" barrel appears to be the same as the finish on my other JDI SIGs.

The only "other" I would say about the 16" 551 is the flash suppressor isn't as nice as the flash suppressor on the 17.7" 551LB or the PE90.  That's not a knock on the quality of the shorter barreled 551.  I just prefer the slightly longer design and more intricate machining of the flash suppressor on the longer barrels.  

View Quote

These were NOS barrels, but what they should have done back then to satisfy the barrel length requirement was stick with the 14.3"SB and simply replace with a longer muzzle device. Would have saved SIG the need to tool up for 16" barrels and blanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

These were NOS barrels, but what they should have done back then to satisfy the barrel length requirement was stick with the 14.3"SB and simply replace with a longer muzzle device. Would have saved SIG the need to tool up for 16" barrels and blanks.
View Quote

The 14.3” barrels have roughly 12.5” of rifled barrel. A 4” flash hider would look absurd IMO. If you want 16” OAL, the old school 16” barrel is the best option.

If SAN was starting from scratch, I think the slightly longer FH of the 14.3” barrel would look better on the 16” OAL barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The 14.3” barrels have roughly 12.5” of rifled barrel. A 4” flash hider would look absurd IMO. If you want 16” OAL, the old school 16” barrel is the best option.

If SAN was starting from scratch, I think the slightly longer FH of the 14.3” barrel would look better on the 16” OAL barrel.
View Quote

Long muzzle devices look fine when done right. Muzzle devices on BGS/G1/STG58 FALs, the AAC MITER used on the SCAR/MK17, the XM177 moderator. I'm sure it could be done on the 551, for example the pin/welded extension on the LE trade-in 551-2 SP SWAT didn't look that bad, just crude.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
My JDI 551 16" is perfect.
Just happy to have one!
NO Complaints!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I think they should have put the grenade ring on the 16", just because it looks cool. Utterly useless of course, probably more work, and likely would have looked silly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I think they should have put the grenade ring on the 16", just because it looks cool. Utterly useless of course, probably more work, and likely would have looked silly.
View Quote

I wish they would make one with a 16 inch bbl (including flash hider) with the same amount of bbl sticking out as the 550/553lb that would fit bayonets.  But it would require a new gas system length.  Sure would look cool and be light and handy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed 100 %.

That 16" profile is hands down the best profile.  Gives that .223 CIP some room to get up to speed too.  

For me,  when lining all the rifles of various barrel lengths on a table , the 16" profile has a great feel to it.  Feels closer to the 1.7" shorter 14.3" than to the 1.8' longer 17.8" barrel.  
That 17.8 feels like it is a mile long and heavy in comparison.   I have the 17.8 " in most configurations and the lightest feel is a flat top with NATO alum lower.

For me, I want removable flash hiders.  

Those extensions on the 551 14.3" barrels were/are horrible and they feel like a giant heavy weight on the end.  Well made and well done but heavy as all F.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Long muzzle devices look fine when done right. Muzzle devices on BGS/G1/STG58 FALs, the AAC MITER used on the SCAR/MK17, the XM177 moderator. I'm sure it could be done on the 551, for example the pin/welded extension on the LE trade-in 551-2 SP SWAT didn't look that bad, just crude.
View Quote

Agree to disagree on the 551.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Just curious - who has received stocks/mags, and when did you make your order? Did Dave provide tracking?

I did a March and August '21 order, haven't seen anything yet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Dave said he is shipping orders up to July 2021.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an order from late May for a black stock & pin set that still has yet to be filled.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My magazine orders from Feb - April have been filled, except for a collapsing black stock.  I think those are in the US but mine hasn’t been sent yet…Dave said it would be a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Put green furniture on my 551.
Badass!
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No guarantee, but he said he would reach out when he has the details of what he is going to get. I hope that means I will get one of the first choices as he already has my money for it. Honestly steel receiver is my only strong preference. I prefer diopter over rail, but can live with either. I don't mind any color combo but do prefer black on grey. But no matter what I prefer the 553 over the 551.
View Quote

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys about the information about switching. I switched my steel lower 551 to a steel gray/green 553 diopter and cannot be happier. I never thought id see this model in my hands. Cant wait to get it in and SBR it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys about the information about switching. I switched my steel lower 551 to a steel gray/green 553 diopter and cannot be happier. I never thought id see this model in my hands. Cant wait to get it in and SBR it.
View Quote

Does he actually have that 553 in hand?
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was on his list of pistols coming in but he didn't give an ETA.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats Puma, you will love it.  Best feeling ever getting the first Swiss Sig

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Best feeling ever getting the first Swiss Sig
View Quote

It is a great feeling.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

TRUE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're both saying that you support the free market and that you don't support the free market. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I've been collecting Colt, SIG, HK and transferable MGs since '01.  The only thing the community needs are more items on the market. I would love to have inexpensive SIGs, HKs, and transferable MGs, but it's not going to happen.

Shady business practices by sellers, misrepresented pictures, high prices..caveat emptor. It's been like this forever and will continue to be like this.

TRUE!
This.

I have read this thread a few times..and sheesh. I have personally known Dave for a while and bought a few suppressors, firearms, etc. through him when I lived in Texas. Have known him since at least 2010ish. He has always been a rock solid businessman, honest and upfront. My personal opinion is he has done an amazing job of importing hard to come by items.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This.

I have read this thread a few times..and sheesh. I have personally known Dave for a while and bought a few suppressors, firearms, etc. through him when I lived in Texas. Have known him since at least 2010ish. He has always been a rock solid businessman, honest and upfront. My personal opinion is he has done an amazing job of importing hard to come by items.
View Quote

I recently had 2 Transactions with Dave and has been Perfect!!
551 and 751
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Took my 551 out to sight in today and this firearm is just a joy to shoot, extremely smooth.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Just talked to Dave again today. He said the official announcement on the 553's should be by the end of next week and I locked in my configuration. He did say they are all SB's, and when I said I wanted black steel receiver, black furniture and diopters he repeated back "okay, so a black receiver with diopters". Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it kinda makes it feel like only steel receivers and only black furniture this time around since he didn't repeat those parts back to me? Or maybe black receiver only comes with black furniture?

He also said SIG AG said they will ship at the beginning of the second week of January. So I would imagine he would start shipping the following week as he did with the 551's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just talked to Dave again today. He said the official announcement on the 553's should be by the end of next week and I locked in my configuration. He did say they are all SB's, and when I said I wanted black steel receiver, black furniture and diopters he repeated back "okay, so a black receiver with diopters". Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it kinda makes it feel like only steel receivers and only black furniture this time around since he didn't repeat those parts back to me? Or maybe black receiver only comes with black furniture?

He also said SIG AG said they will ship at the beginning of the second week of January. So I would imagine he would start shipping the following week as he did with the 551's.
View Quote

I think black on black was available and green on gray with a mixture of diopters and pic rails but not black on gray, or green on black if that makes sense. I didn't ask about aluminum vs steel lowers as that isn't a big concern to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#26]
For anyone who swapped over to a 553SB, is the price still in the $3400 range, or has it gone up to $4k like the 551s?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]
The 551's arrived with Grey and Black.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 551's arrived with Grey and Black.
View Quote

The steel lower ones were Grey/Black, the aluminum lowers were black/green.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it still possible to order a 553 pistol from JDI?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Yep. He hasn't officially announced things yet for this new batch, but seems to be taking peoples orders if they call and ask about it. He should be posting a video in the next week to fakebook with the public info, but I would just give him a call, he's a super friendly guy to chat with. Are you.... gonna start making Sig 55X stuff? Please tell me you are going to start making some sweet 55x stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#31]
JDI has one of the steel lower 551's available.  Somebody go buy it so that I'm not tempted.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
JDI has one of the steel lower 551's available.  Somebody go buy it so that I'm not tempted.
View Quote

Love Mine.
Put Green Furniture on.
Really Sweet!
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Last mockup before the rebarrel

Interestingly, getting cowitness with a low mount isn't that easy, as there's a tradeoff between how much the front sight hood obscures the FOV and the base of the optic obscuring the bottom of the front sight post.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Where did you get the green furniture?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you rebarreling it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a 551LB. Dave doesn’t sell a 551LB.

That means getting creative.

Quoted:
Where did you get the green furniture?

Gunbroker
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I want a 551LB. Dave doesn’t sell a 551LB.

That means getting creative.

Gunbroker
View Quote

Sweet. I had a deposit for one of the 551LB back in 2016, I got worried about the election (State and Federal) and cancelled, big $%^&$%^ mistake on my part, not to mention they were less expensive back then.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Apec, here's a little motivation for you.

My son's reverse engineering follower and floor plate designs so that I can 3D print them for 922(r) compliance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I snagged one of the canceled order 551's and it arrived today.  I'll go collect it soon.  I've also got a spare 17.7" take-off barrel from Gatewood and had the same thought about swapping it out.  

Technically, the 16" is also a 551-LB according to the shipping labels Sig-Exeter used to put on them when they imported for LE use during the 90's
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a current 551 and would not change out a barrel.
But, to each his own.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 551-A1, 551-SB, 551-2 Sport 16", three 553's, three 550's and a 751.   I'm on the fence but had planned to swap the 14.3" for the 17.7" but seems more appropriate to do it on the gray diopter one.  But yeah...I'll have to decide if it's worth it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But yeah...I'll have to decide if it's worth it.
View Quote

There’s nothing that makes it worth it in the grand scheme of things. It doesn’t make the gun more collectible or higher performing. You either want it or you don’t.

People who did G3K conversions on their HK91s and HK33K conversion on their HK93s did so because they wanted guns set up that way, and they went forward with these permanent modifications even well after those prebans could no longer be obtained new.

Sure, a rebarrel of a Sig would potentially hurt its original value, but that’s irrelevant to me as it will not ever be for sale, nor am I particularly interested in it’s original configuration. In the worst case the rebarrel is reversible.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Who do you have doing rebarrel? Curious as always nice to know of a quality Sig gunsmith
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm definitely in the camp of "because I wanted to" vs. believing it will be anything other than tossing money out the window.   I'm the guy who had an FN FiveseveN IOM painted like the ones in Battlestar Galactica (because I wanted it that way)
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I snagged one of the canceled order 551's and it arrived today.  I'll go collect it soon.  I've also got a spare 17.7" take-off barrel from Gatewood and had the same thought about swapping it out.  

View Quote

Probably the one I had reserved - I opted to go with the 553SB (grey, steel lower, diopters, green furniture), and it shipped yesterday. I can hardly wait to pick it up!

I was lucky enough to get a 550 from last Spring (and a 553LB), and picked up a a set of the FDE furniture to try on the rifle. I like it with either set of furniture, so I guess I'll need another 550.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm definitely in the camp of "because I wanted to" vs. believing it will be anything other than tossing money out the window.   I'm the guy who had an FN FiveseveN IOM painted like the ones in Battlestar Galactica (because I wanted it that way)
View Quote

You cannot be in this hobby and worry about shit like that, these guns will likely be banned before they are collectable (at that kind of level)... It's not like you mounted a red dot on a 1950's S&W revolver or bubba'd up a FN-FAL.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Probably the one I had reserved - I opted to go with the 553SB (grey, steel lower, diopters, green furniture), and it shipped yesterday. I can hardly wait to pick it up!

I was lucky enough to get a 550 from last Spring (and a 553LB), and picked up a a set of the FDE furniture to try on the rifle. I like it with either set of furniture, so I guess I'll need another 550.
View Quote

Nice!  Yeah, I got one of those gray railed/diopter 553's that I forgot I ordered in 2020 as well as a black 550.  I sold the 553 a couple weeks ago (I have others) so figured this 551 would replace the pre-ban 551-2 Sport I sold last year (1987 vintage with matching serial jenny mount).
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I still admire your 2019 thread on M4C about that green 551 with Jenny mount.  ??
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I still admire your 2019 thread on M4C about that green 551 with Jenny mount.  ??
View Quote

Link?  My searching came up empty.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Not sure where the post is but here's the rifle.  Early style "round toe" or "whale tail" one-piece stock (pics show comparing a modern stock).

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top