Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tan furniture arrived

I hate stock pins.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314050/image_jpg-2174368.JPG
View Quote

That’s an interesting combo with the FDE furniture. Very unique looking. Why do you hate the stock pin?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That’s an interesting combo with the FDE furniture. Very unique looking. Why do you hate the stock pin?
View Quote

They are absurdly tight and can be a bear to align properly for initial insertion.

A partially threaded bolt would done fine in that application. The washer/cup spring eliminates any stock wobble anyways, so there's no need for an almost press fit pin.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They are absurdly tight and can be a bear to align properly for initial insertion.

A partially threaded bolt would done fine in that application. The washer/cup spring eliminates any stock wobble anyways, so there's no need for an almost press fit pin.
View Quote

I’ve removed and installed several dozen over the years. Proper sized punches are a must. An undersized punch will help you to align the cup spring/washer. Even better is to use a very slightly undersized punch that’s tapered at the end. The taper centers the cup washer as it is inserted. Once centered, driving in the hinge pin is easy. The early “whale tail” stocks used a pin that is wider at the center. It is a real bitch to remove and install. The later arrangement with solid straight pin and cup washer is easy after you get it down.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Apparently the 551's are on their way to the US. This was via a response on FB, seems they are traveling by air.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Installed the BT optic mount, and got some shorter 10-32 screws for the ACOG mount. I can see my irons through the mount now (front sight not in focus, but its visible in person).

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Installed the BT optic mount, and got some shorter 10-32 screws for the ACOG mount. I can see my irons through the mount now (front sight not in focus, but its visible in person).

https://i.imgur.com/PTj3Yco.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ggi57QE.jpg?1
View Quote

That’s excellent. Beautiful rifle. That optic and setup are about perfect for the 550.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Misha has come out with a video showing a couple of 551s and some accessories he picked up at JDI...JDI 55s  and I have seen a couple of ads on GB that appear to be from the same batch he picked up... SG551P w NATO mag lower and... SG551P in grey/green so a few are now out in the wild.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If they are here, why aren't they shipping or sending out notices? But, they are getting posted to GB... Not to mention the AR mag versions sold out quickly, so this cat gets an inside track to flip firearms? I hope Mischa has an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Apparently, Dave Wagner's warehouse is nearly overflowing with newly-received firearms and accessories.  If you watch Misha's video, you will see that he drove from Arkansas to Texas to pick up the items he ordered in person.  He does have an FFL (Ozark Bear Arms; FFL-01) and he routinely purchases some of the JDI products and resells them as part of his business.  If you read the extensive description and history he provides in the GB ads at the end, you will find him state that explicitly.  

My assumption is that Dave is shipping stuff out in the order in which they were ordered as fast as he can.  Many back-ordered items that have finally come in may have priority.  I, too, am anxiously awaiting some items, but I am realistic about what difficulties this surge in products may pose.  Patience is a virtue.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My 551 already arrived at my FFL today. I am holding off on pickup because I have another gun in transit I want to get at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the update jlebowski.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
For anyone that ordered one of the sigs in the recent batch, did you have to contact Dave to pay for the second half or will he be contacting you? I placed my deposit in September and just want to make sure I am following procedure as I do not have social media and have not seen any posts on there.

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For anyone that ordered one of the sigs in the recent batch, did you have to contact Dave to pay for the second half or will he be contacting you? I placed my deposit in September and just want to make sure I am following procedure as I do not have social media and have not seen any posts on there.

Thank you
View Quote

I called today and paid. As did a friend who bought two. I had no idea they were in until Apec mentioned it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you, I will give them a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If anyone wanted a steel receiver one and missed out he should have one available if you give him a call. I talked to him yesterday and transferred my 551 order over to being for one of the 553's that are coming in, so the one I had should be available unless he already had other plans for it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I called today and paid. As did a friend who bought two. I had no idea they were in until Apec mentioned it.
View Quote

Friend e-mail them and they said to call and they would ship the pistol, however they won't ship the accessories until they are caught up which will be a few weeks. My friend is a bit annoyed that he had to find out the rifles were in and shipping via the internet, not JDI, and more so that the stock and mags won't ship "for a few weeks" since they have been sitting on his deposit and money for the accessories for four months. though he understands and believes that people who have been on backorder should get their stuff. Seems like a sloppy way to do business, not notifying people about the pistols, not everyone has FB.

I'll call Monday and pay the balance, will be nice to finally own a Swiss 55x.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If anyone wanted a steel receiver one and missed out he should have one available if you give him a call. I talked to him yesterday and transferred my 551 order over to being for one of the 553's that are coming in, so the one I had should be available unless he already had other plans for it.
View Quote

Interesting, how does that work? Did he guarantee you a specific configuration (diopter/rail, aluminum/steel, gray/black)?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried to call 3 separate times today and no answer. Maybe Monday.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tried to call 3 separate times today and no answer. Maybe Monday.
View Quote

He posted on facebook that he was out of the office today. Monday should work, or message him via facebook. He replies pretty quick to facebook messages.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting, how does that work? Did he guarantee you a specific configuration (diopter/rail, aluminum/steel, gray/black)?
View Quote

No guarantee, but he said he would reach out when he has the details of what he is going to get. I hope that means I will get one of the first choices as he already has my money for it. Honestly steel receiver is my only strong preference. I prefer diopter over rail, but can live with either. I don't mind any color combo but do prefer black on grey. But no matter what I prefer the 553 over the 551.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He posted on facebook that he was out of the office today. Monday should work, or message him via facebook. He replies pretty quick to facebook messages.
View Quote

Thank you, I don’t have Facebook so I did not see that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#22]
It actually came in last Thursday, but I deferred pickup so I could get two guns transferred at the same time.

Interesting thing to note is that unlike other production runs, barrels on these are serialized to the gun. Serial is under the date code by the barrel shoulder.

This will be getting a long barrel conversion and green furniture replacement, so consider this a "before" image

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It actually came in last Thursday, but I deferred pickup so I could get two guns transferred at the same time.

Interesting thing to note is that unlike other production runs, barrels on these are serialized to the gun. Serial is under the date code by the barrel shoulder.

This will be getting a long barrel conversion and green furniture replacement, so consider this a "before" image

https://i.imgur.com/NK7LgiM.png
https://i.imgur.com/SvBJ0pA.png
View Quote

Mine is on the way.

I saw the posts above, but how much of a PITA was it to put the stock on? Any instructions floating around?

I always wanted the LB version, who/how are you going to get the barrel swapped? That's going to get pricey.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine is on the way.

I saw the posts above, but how much of a PITA was it to put the stock on? Any instructions floating around?

I always wanted the LB version, who/how are you going to get the barrel swapped? That's going to get pricey.
View Quote

It’s very simple to install the stock. Place the cup washer convex side up on the stock. Install the stock in the hinge. The washer will shift a bit. Take a punch that’s tapered at the tip and use it to center the cup washer. Install the hinge pin, gently tap into place using a rubber or rawhide mallet. Then use a properly sized punch. Be careful not to let the punch slip, as you will scratch the finish on the lower.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It’s very simple to install the stock. Place the cup washer convex side up on the stock. Install the stock in the hinge. The washer will shift a bit. Take a punch that’s tapered at the tip and use it to center the cup washer. Install the hinge pin, gently tap into place using a rubber or rawhide mallet. Then use a properly sized punch. Be careful not to let the punch slip, as you will scratch the finish on the lower.
View Quote

Thank you very much JoshNC.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Just to confirm, these 16" gray ones have the paint sealer applied over the parkerized surface?  I didn't like those unfinished "Rush jobs" (553P) that arrived back in May.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is on the way.

Gotta remove the pistol endplate first though. Such a useless part.

Punch the rollpin in from the hinge side, then punch the axle pin out. The plate slides off and out from the hinge side.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gotta remove the pistol endplate first though. Such a useless part.

Punch the rollpin in from the hinge side, then punch the axle pin out. The plate slides off and out from the hinge side.
View Quote

Easy peasy, man. This stuff is not hard. And while the pistol endplate is silly, you may one day want to use it to make some sort of stock or brace adapter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Got it, that little washer/spring is the mf'er. I took the pin from the plate and lined it up inside the hinge w/ the convex side pointing up (top of the gun, top hinge) and used the pin from the plate to keep it lined up, then drove the pin in from the bottom. Tiny little booboo on the finish, not a big deal, may have come that way.

Anyway, I'm in love. Now I want a PE90 even worse than before, been 24yrs since I shot one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got it, that little washer/spring is the mf'er. I took the pin from the plate and lined it up inside the hinge w/ the convex side pointing up (top of the gun, top hinge) and used the pin from the plate to keep it lined up, then drove the pin in from the bottom. Tiny little booboo on the finish, not a big deal, may have come that way.

Anyway, I'm in love. Now I want a PE90 even worse than before, been 24yrs since I shot one.
View Quote

Excellent! They get easier as you do a couple more.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Thing thing supposed to come with a manual?

I have the armorers manual on-line, so no biggie, but I didn't get a manual.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#32]
No More Manuals Included.
Don't know why?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I put the convex side down on 2 of them now.
Does it make a difference?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just to confirm, these 16" gray ones have the paint sealer applied over the parkerized surface?  I didn't like those unfinished "Rush jobs" (553P) that arrived back in May.
View Quote

I sold the unfinished 551sb because I couldn't live with it, and now I am getting nervous about this batches finish.  

From a pic on Gunbroker I see at least 3 different shades/textures between the upper, lower, and gas block. None of my 55x's shade match perfectly, but these look like lowers from a different vintage, especially the lower upright.

I sure hope I am wrong.

https://ibb.co/j6b1hr8

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think I put the convex side down on 2 of them now.
Does it make a difference?
View Quote

I doubt it matters in the least. Convex up is how all factory assembled that I’ve seen have been.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I sold the unfinished 551sb because I couldn't live with it, and now I am getting nervous about this batches finish.  

From a pic on Gunbroker I see at least 3 different shades/textures between the upper, lower, and gas block. None of my 55x's shade match perfectly, but these look like lowers from a different vintage, especially the lower upright.

I sure hope I am wrong.

https://ibb.co/j6b1hr8

View Quote

I just picked my 2  551’s and they look awesome, couldn’t be happier. The finish looks really good.
dmtsc
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just picked my 2  551’s and they look awesome, couldn’t be happier. The finish looks really good.
dmtsc
View Quote

Yep, everything matches on mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#38]
My finish is Perfect!
Glad I did the wait!
Beautiful 551!
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That is big a relief.  Thanks for the reports.

dmtsc
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone done the trigger adjustment? There is a video on YT.

Quoted:
Glad I did the wait!
View Quote

No, now I want more. I want a PE90 and a 553RP (wish he'd do that in a 16", flash suppressor part of the barrel.)

Do wish I had ordered a green stock and then tracked down/traded a green pistol grip and hand guard.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Picked up 2 as well. First sigs and they seem like top quality.

Need to find stocks now.

Anyone know if I am able to just back order on the jdi website?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Picked up 2 as well. First sigs and they seem like top quality.

Need to find stocks now.

Anyone know if I am able to just back order on the jdi website?

Thanks
View Quote

Maybe shoot him an e-mail and see if he has any unspoken for. Don't forget the pin & cup. If he has only has a green we could do a swap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Has anyone done the trigger adjustment? There is a video on YT.

No, now I want more. I want a PE90 and a 553RP (wish he'd do that in a 16", flash suppressor part of the barrel.)

Do wish I had ordered a green stock and then tracked down/traded a green pistol grip and hand guard.
View Quote

Welcome to the addiction.

I spoke with Dave last week and asked him about stocks and mags. He said to back order through the website. If there are extras you will get lucky. If not, you will wait.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Welcome to the addiction.

View Quote

lol.

Anyone every tried ordering them from Switzerland? There is a shop on-line, don’t have the link handy. But someone on either this or another forum successfully did (furniture), it was in the last few years. Obviously shipping probably made it fairly expensive.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol.

Anyone every tried ordering them from Switzerland? There is a shop on-line, don’t have the link handy. But someone on either this or another forum successfully did (furniture), it was in the last few years. Obviously shipping probably made it fairly expensive.
View Quote

Gunfactory.ch is probably what you’re thinking of. Rolf speaks English and they will ship to the US.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Gunfactory.ch is probably what you’re thinking of. Rolf speaks English and they will ship to the US.
View Quote

I heard that you have to fill out import paperwork for items over $50 ?  
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I heard that you have to fill out import paperwork for items over $50 ?  
View Quote

Form-6 required for anything over $100.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Regarding 30 round mags, at least:

I received a back order from March 2021, order # 27XX, which included 30 round mags and a black fixed stock.
I have another order with some mags placed in June 2021, order #30XX, that hasn't been filled.

I don't have everything from the first order (gas regulator plug), but it should give you guys an idea of what back orders are being filled...  Got some twenty round mags (also) in my last order, but I'm not holding my breath for anytime soon soon.  I am super glad I did get my black stock though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got a couple of the earlier JDI imports, and comparing those to the pictures I'm seeing on Gunbroker, it looks like the quality of the finish and markings has tanked.
Anybody disagree?
Uppers and lowers seem to be mismatched too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anybody disagree?
View Quote

I've got an early 2000s imported SG 551-2 SWAT.

Not my pic, but it looks exactly like this one:
Attachment Attached File

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top