BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m pointing out the fact you called my coworkers credibility into question, I think missed my point entirely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I’m pointing out the fact you called my coworkers credibility into question, I think missed my point entirely.

I questioned him bringing up people who are not here to weigh in one way or the other as “proof” his point of view is somehow superior to mine. That’s an extremely lazy way to debate in my opinion.

Quoted:
At TNVC we are a team and support each other, collectively we have a vast knowledge base to fall back on based on actual end user experience both mil/LE and hunting, we are also end users just like our customers.

And yet TNVC has made several gaffes here in this forum. Is the official TNVC stance still that the ATPIAL C is better than a full powered PEQ 15? Because at one point in time that claim was made. I have more examples if you like. I’m not here to trash your brand though. Everyone makes mistakes and l don’t hold you to a higher standard than anyone else. But I won’t take being shouted down by multiple people from the same company echoing each other because my opinion differs from theirs. Food for thought, ultimately I’m way more likely to be unbiased, than you or any industry insider will be.

Quoted:
I have have yet to experience the issue you are pointing out and I probably have the largest collection of MAWLs in private hands and have looked at every single one of mine and none of them experience this with any NV system I own and I own more than your average rifle platoon in the US Army.

Essentially I’m calling into question your credibility when it comes to the MAWL.

True, my sample size is probably much smaller than yours. My sample size is 3, and all of them performed the same. But seeing as how you have such a massive collection, I’m in the market to borrow one for a picture series. Know anyone with multiple MAWL units that could spare one for about a week? I have excellent EE feedback
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I find someone interrupting a conversation two people were having in line with how my 6 year old behaves. Proof is in the pudding though and I’m happy to take pics of exactly what I’m talking about. No interest in lending me one I take it....whatever, I’ll find one
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
3rd party here checking in that’s looked at and photographed the MAWL beams a few times now.

If you’re using it in long range mode and shining it against a white wall 10ft away... the dot might wash out. But at “long range” distances against reasonable targets the civi-powered aiming dot has been perfectly legible for me. It’s still not a great illuminator for extended ranges though, unless it’s a super super dark night. Gotta go with higher power focusable units for long clipon use.

The differences between the C1+ and DA are also surprisingly small. Illuminators almost identical and aiming dots just lose the lightsaber ability (which I find no use for, myself).
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Start by including "to be" in your infinitives.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Farther than 10 feet away, but correct. It bothered me the most transitioning from a target at distance to one closer in. I noticed the dot washed out up to 50 feet or so. Farther out the flood had a chance to actually spill, and it wasn’t as big of a issue.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Farther than 10 feet away, but correct. It bothered me the most transitioning from a target at distance to one closer in. I noticed the dot washed out up to 50 feet or so. Farther out the flood had a chance to actually spill, and it wasn’t as big of a issue.
View Quote

That’s the advantage of their unique mode switching system. Quick slide back to the rear and you’re in near mode. Way way faster than most units where you’re having to dial a rotary focus knob or flip down a diffusion cap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I take it the dot wash out is a non issue on the FP mawl?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen the same on my MAWL C1+ but it was against a light background out to @ the same distance although it wasn't totally washed out just a bit overpowered by the illuminator.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I take it the dot wash out is a non issue on the FP mawl?
View Quote

Target washout becomes the issue there - much tougher to get a precise aiming point when pumping that much juice downrange and having your tubes deal with all that concentrated energy. I’m sure Sam has more experience with his collection though. I’ve just side by sided them 3 or 4 times over the years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes I’m aware and used the on the fly power setting. And It’s much faster than the alternatives. It’s also the thing I liked best about the MAWL. It’s still not as fast or as easy as using the setting you already have the unit on to take the shot. Also the Alt power mode for the high setting is laser only, no illuminator
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
It would appear Sam and I are on the same commenting schedule. I’ll just let him take over and back out. Basically +1 to whatever he says though - he definitely speaks from hands on experience.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I don’t have a Alt, sight staff can verify that’s not me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We conduct AAR's with all of our students at Greenline and TNVC classes, and give feedback to manufacturers about issues that pop up if they pop up. You dismissing that as "not proof" is totally up to you but pretty childish IMO.

In terms of legality the ATPIAL C is still a better buy that a PEQ15, capability wise not so much.

You being way more unbiased is also a pretty subjective claim.

I rent my lasers out at classes and NV fight club events, if you'd like to attend and maybe get a different take on the MAWL I welcome you to sign up and utilize my gear.
Again I have been running MAWLS for about 4 years now and not once had anyone complain about the dot washing out within the illuminator in any mode. Maybe your focus was off on your NV or your emitter was dirty/occluded.  

View Quote

I have some questions about "something I read on the internet". Someone on another forum said they have a MAWL, and...

-Zero adjustments are friction, not clicks?
-The manual says it "may need to shoot in/shift and need multiple zero sessions" or something?

Are they not factual or currently factual, or is a $2500 laser really like a MKII Leupold crossed with an ACOG!?

Part of why I like the idea of the MAWL is I perceive that it offers me a very small/light way of making my weapon dual role, without me having to sacrifice the 1.70" mounted NX8 I like so much. Kindof a "bolt this on and go do night stuff" solution vs. messing with my whole configuration.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You’ve also given your opinions on Class IIIB, otherwise known as “Restricted” lasers many times in the past—which again, is fine, you’re welcome to do so, as am I to point out the possible pitfalls of purchasing “Gray Market” items. ~Augee
View Quote

Correct. I’m comparing the MAWL C to full power units. I know it’s not fair, but from a buyers perspective both options exist and should be explained and explored. The MAWL is the best class 1 unit available but it still has limitations. The question I’m raising is why settle when I can go see Ivan, pay 1/3rd the price, and have no compromises?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Correct. I’m comparing the MAWL C to full power units. I know it’s not fair, but from a buyers perspective both options exist and should be explained and explored. The MAWL is the best class 1 unit available but it still has limitations. The question I’m raising is why settle when I can go see Ivan, pay 1/3rd the price, and have no compromises?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You’ve also given your opinions on Class IIIB, otherwise known as “Restricted” lasers many times in the past—which again, is fine, you’re welcome to do so, as am I to point out the possible pitfalls of purchasing “Gray Market” items. ~Augee

Exactly. For that amount of coin I’d buy a FP unit.

Does anyone know if the neutered civilian version of the mawl is being fielded by our military forces?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The new updated Gen2 Laser head has "clicks" the older head was just friction, it was never a big deal to me either way as they hold zero regardless.

Yes when you first zero the laser it will walk on you and you need to let the windage and elevation adjustments "settle", this is a right out of the box condition and if you shoot 5 or 6 5-round groups and tweak your zero after every group the unit will have settled into place.

Most lasers are a small/light way of making a rifle dual role, the ATPIAL is about 2 oz lighter than a MAWL, so its not the lightest weight option but it is certainly the best option.
And as my cohort Augee has brought up multiple times not product is perfect, its just that right now in time and space the MAWL is the closest to perfection out of all the offerings on the market and I do mean all of the offerings including Class3B units.

View Quote

So once the MAWL has "settled" out of the box, it's G2G, and no-more settling is necessary for the life of the unit unless it sustains an impact or something? After initial settling, you dial, and get what you dial, and it holds?

Also...while you're in the thread...Crye Nightcap...good/bad? I plan on running a minimal of gear, not a ton of patches and helmet IR and battery packs and all that. Just a counterweight and my device. Is the Crye a good way to save a few hundo, or a good way to get frustrated trying to "make it work" for you like what you SHOULD have gotten?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

First off, you aren't going to find a FP unit in the price range of a MAWL other than a PEQ-15, and the C1+ still outperforms a -15.
An LA5 is going to run you over $3500, and if you can find an NGAL/RAID X its going to be double wha t MAWL is.

the X-1 which is a Class 3 B laser is being fielded by our military, why would they utilize a low powered variant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. For that amount of coin I’d buy a FP unit.

Does anyone know if the neutered civilian version of the mawl is being fielded by our military forces?

First off, you aren't going to find a FP unit in the price range of a MAWL other than a PEQ-15, and the C1+ still outperforms a -15.
An LA5 is going to run you over $3500, and if you can find an NGAL/RAID X its going to be double wha t MAWL is.

the X-1 which is a Class 3 B laser is being fielded by our military, why would they utilize a low powered variant.

I agree 100%.  So to be clear, the civilian mawl is NOT the same unit that is fielded by our military in covert operations in some far away land.

I believe the mawl is likely the best class 1 unit available.  But with Full power units like the perst 3 being available for $1200, I know which one I’m going to purchase.. again just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its only a matter of time until those are import restricted. I have read to many horror stories about the PERST to in good conscience recommend them. They will come with their share of issues, in the NV game you get what you pay for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%.  So to be clear, the civilian mawl is NOT the same unit that is fielded by our military in covert operations in some far away land.

I believe the mawl is likely the best class 1 unit available.  But with Full power units like the perst 3 being available for $1200, I know which one I’m going to purchase.. again just my opinion.

Its only a matter of time until those are import restricted. I have read to many horror stories about the PERST to in good conscience recommend them. They will come with their share of issues, in the NV game you get what you pay for.

I’m sure the ‘industry’ is pushing very hard for that to happen, similar to the 89’ import ban

I’ve seen a few issues posted (this is true with Almost all products in the world)  but most of the guys I’ve seen have them can’t recommend them enough, including me. Which is why I’ve got another on order after I foolishly sold my last one while needing some cash for renovations on a house I purchased a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#26]
The MAWL is $2700 and change. I can’t leave the safety of my home page without tripping over PEQ15’s. Those will set you back $1500-2100 (For a savings of $1200-600) depending on a few things, but I’d highly discourage considering anything salty or with serial numbers filed off. A Perst 3 is $1100 (Savings of $1600!) a Perst 4 isn’t in the same category but it’s less then $500. There’s also the random DBAL A2’s that pop up, typically prices range from $1600-2400 depending on generation, model, and salt content. I even saw a STORM for $3800 yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who EXACTLY are you referring to?  Serious question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m sure the ‘industry’ is pushing very hard for that to happen, similar to the 89’ import ban

Never underestimate that. That happens more than we realize, even by those that tout freedom, etc.

Who EXACTLY are you referring to?  Serious question.

He was probably referring to the companies involved in the referenced 89 import ban (although I could be wrong)   I really doubt anyone would be open and honest about pushing for an import ban on these items, as it would be economic suicide.

It would be nice to FOIA some info if and when a ban on the import of Russian aiming devices does come down.

ETA: in for an answer
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For that course of action I'd recommend buying used.  There are a plethora of gear selling pages on facebook and other social media in addition to the EE where you can sell it fairly easily.  I bought my PVS-14 used on facebook for $2100 and sold it three years later on facebook for $2000.  It was an Omni-VII green tube with no blems.

Is there anyone near you that has some stuff that you can look through or play around with?  That helps a lot with figuring out subjective things like tube specs or the weight and quality of various lasers.
View Quote

Yes to buy used. And yes to look at locals kit.

@johndough im in Central mo when im home. Want to go use nods and try out my various lasers? (peq15, dbal i2 civ and full power, tlrvir2, tlr2ir, dbal a3?)

If you are interested were also having an event in Iberia Mo from July 15th-18th. Should have literally any device and tube choice you could want to look through. Seriously pm me and i will get you details. Come on out and try it out for free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#39]
It really sounds like you need some experience under nvg. Hit me up Ill let you try out anything you want.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow. Page 2-3 turned into drama central. This is why the nv forum is never in my reccomendation for newbies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your opinion is also subjective. You’re also sighting people who aren’t here (who’s opinions are also subjective) to weigh in on the matter. And that’s supposed to give your opinion more credibility? The high setting on the MAWL illuminator washes out the dot badly. I know I’m not the only one this happens to because we just went through this a few weeks ago. Might as well take the T out of TNVC or kiss that hog goodbye if you can’t make out the dot well enough to get a shot off.

Agreed. For a class 1 laser, it is king. The fact it can even be compared to full powered stuff is pretty remarkable. The only problem is, class 3 lasers are readily available, and the  MAWL C’s advantage over other class 1 lasers disappears when side by side with class 3 lasers.

View Quote

I never had that problem with the MAWL.  I had issues with it retaining zero but my understanding is the new tail cap fixes that issue.  But never had a prob with the Illuminator washing out the laser.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

NightGoggles has the Echo PVS-14's the lowest price we've seen at $2540.00 for white and $2514 for green.
View Quote

Night Vision Inc has White for $2499

https://nvincorporated.com/product/night-vision-inc-nv-pvs-14/
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
3rd party here checking in that’s looked at and photographed the MAWL beams a few times now.

If you’re using it in long range mode and shining it against a white wall 10ft away... the dot might wash out. But at “long range” distances against reasonable targets the civi-powered aiming dot has been perfectly legible for me. It’s still not a great illuminator for extended ranges though, unless it’s a super super dark night. Gotta go with higher power focusable units for long clipon use.

The differences between the C1+ and DA are also surprisingly small. Illuminators almost identical and aiming dots just lose the lightsaber ability (which I find no use for, myself).
View Quote

I agree with that.  I’m surprised how little difference there is between the da and the c1 versions.  I’m not smart enough to tell you how BE Meyers did it, but the Illuminator on the MAWL c1 is super impressive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I just wish there was a neutral density filter for the laser
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree with that.  I’m surprised how little difference there is between the da and the c1 versions.  I’m not smart enough to tell you how BE Meyers did it, but the Illuminator on the MAWL c1 is super impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn’t the aiming laser what was neutered on the civilian version, or is the illuminator neutered for civi sales as well ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes to buy used. And yes to look at locals kit.

@johndough im in Central mo when im home. Want to go use nods and try out my various lasers? (peq15, dbal i2 civ and full power, tlrvir2, tlr2ir, dbal a3?)

If you are interested were also having an event in Iberia Mo from July 15th-18th. Should have literally any device and tube choice you could want to look through. Seriously pm me and i will get you details. Come on out and try it out for free.
View Quote

I’ll bring some cool stuff out for people to mess with
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’ll bring some cool stuff out for people to mess with
View Quote

And by people im hoping you mean me
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Isn’t the aiming laser what was neutered on the civilian version, or is the illuminator neutered for civi sales as well ?
View Quote

I have no idea and I don’t think BE Meyers publishes that info.  I’m sure some here would know.  Other FP units have higher power Illuminators than their civilian counterparts so I’d assume that would be the same with the MAWL but I don’t know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Yet another show of impeccable moral character of a "vendor" on AR-15.com. Hats off to TNVC!

OP: you don't need a mawl, but I've used and played with a lot of really high dollar stuff, and it's definitely on my list of things to buy if I ever have a spare $2300 in my pocket. However, for the price of the dbal-d3, I think that'll do juuuust fine for me, probably will for you too, but don't take my word for it. There are events with people with a lot of NV equipment hanging around, and people who will let you play with all of it. Just look for the great peep in the sky.

Don't worry about any of the annecdotal issues people have with NV, if you're good in the dark in the woods, you'll be moving like daylight in no time.

Passive is a good thing. Shoot passive when you can, I suspect many animals can see IR lasers. Foxes, skunks, and I suspect mice can too, not to mention anyone with even gen1 night vision.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have no idea and I don’t think BE Meyers publishes that info.  I’m sure some here would know.  Other FP units have higher power Illuminators than their civilian counterparts so I’d assume that would be the same with the MAWL but I don’t know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Side by side, the mawl civilian illuminator is as bright as a restricted dbal-i2 ir/ir, and doesn't have the "pizza" look to it. Food for thought.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top