Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2021 6:14:35 PM EDT
I looked for any recent threads. sorry if I missed it. Do not see much about combos For AR's.

bad idea?

Better to keep them seperate?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Lasers suck get a red dot. Maybe if you have a. Specific application someone has advice.  For a pistol though I'd go light and rmr
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
assuming you mean a IR laser and IR light then its Perst 3  you want in red visible laser model.

z
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lasers suck get a red dot. Maybe if you have a. Specific application someone has advice.  For a pistol though I'd go light and rmr
View Quote
 I edited the thread. AR that does already have a Aimpoint on it. Now you got me thinking, why do I need a laser?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
assuming you mean a IR laser and IR light then its Perst 3  you want in red visible laser model.

z
View Quote

I am green on this terminology. What is Perst 3? was planning on using it on my 16 Inch middy,  FF rail with a aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am green on this terminology. What is Perst 3? was planning on using it on 16 Inch middy,  FF rail with a aimpoint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

z

I am green on this terminology. What is Perst 3? was planning on using it on 16 Inch middy,  FF rail with a aimpoint.

Are you looking for an IR laser/IR light? Or a visible laser and white light? If you don’t use night vision and therefore have no need for an IR laser/IR light, then skip a visible laser and just get the white light of your choice (Surefire, Stremalight, Modlite, Arisaka).
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perst 3 is Russian full power Vis/IR/Illum

There's a huge thread in the night vision section, HERE

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently got an older family member set up with a home defense braced pistol. Due to some eye issues, she couldn't really see as well as she should have through the Trijicon and Aimpoint red dot setups I let her try out. Problem is sort of a combo of being impaired in one eye that happens to be the "dominant eye" natural shouldering.

I had a Streamlight TLR-8G green laser and light handy, which uses one activation pad to turn on green aiming laser and white light at same time. I popped that on the rail. She loved it, and was able to get her focus on target and aimer at the same time, as well as ID targets better with the light light at the distances she needed. I immediately started talking about how the red dot scope would be preferable, but kinda stopped cold when I realized that - whatever was going on with her vision - she was X-ringing with the laser, but looking pained trying to hunt for the dot and use the Aimpoint. Shrug. We're not trying to win Camp Perry here, we're trying to get a single woman set up with a 10-yard defense tool...

The single pad to turn on light and laser is reasonably easy to use, even for someone that's not a regular shooter.

No one is going to be ID'ing her with NV. It doesn't matter if she white-light-ADs inside her home. It doesn't matter if she holds the gun shouldered or from the hip.

Dunno. Couldn't find any reasons why she shouldn't use the light/laser combo.

I like the Streamlight TLR-8 system for an indoor rifle or pistol.

Interested in seeing what the cheapie Olight Baldr mini green is like too, but I definitely trust the Streamlight product 100%.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
yes the perst is for night vision use. for non night vision use lasers are generally not popular. get a aimpoint and a modlight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you looking for an IR laser/IR light? Or a visible laser and white light? If you don’t use night vision and therefore have no need for an IR laser/IR light, then skip a visible laser and just get the white light of your choice (Surefire, Stremalight, Modlite, Arisaka).
View Quote

Yeah, I am learning here. No NV. just aimpoint on a real nice middy AR that I own and love amongst my other ones. Which I may switch all of them to rail mounted lights.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. you spared me from making a bad purchase !

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Visible lasers have great utility depending on environment, shooter physical status, situation, etc. Ignore those who try to convince you otherwise. Do a little research and then make a sound decision based on factual data, not ignorant bs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I looked for any recent threads. sorry if I missed it. Do not see much about combos For AR's.

bad idea?

Better to keep them seperate?
View Quote

Check the Equipment Exchange here for the L3/Insight/EOtech WL-1-aa light/laser combo.  Insight lights have sadly been discontinued as a part of the break-up of L3 and EOTech and merger with Harris.  But, these lights are well-made. Look for the rifle version with tape switch.  It is a small pic rail QD mounted combo red laser and white weapon light.  I run one on an HD shotgun.  While I usually run weapons with a white weapon light alone, especially with a red dot, mounting a red dot on that particular shotgun is a challenge.  So, it runs the laser/light combo.

The light is only 150 lumens, but that's fine for indoor use.  It has a mode switch for light only, laser only or both.  Its quite compact and lightweight (weapon-grade polymer shell), but coming from L3/Insight, its designed to be duty grade.  One advantage is that it runs on two ordinary lithium AA batteries.  There is also a tail cap switch version.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top