Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2023 1:26:41 PM EDT
Does anyone know why TacSol stopped making their AR .22 uppers???

Had one and sold it

Wish they would make them again!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By SnprPSG1:
Does anyone know why TacSol stopped making their AR .22 uppers???

Had one and sold it

Wish they would make them again!!
View Quote

What did they tell you when you called them and asked ??

Seems calling them and getting it straight from the horses mouth would be the best way to find out something....

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
Why don't you call them and ask?  Last year I contacted them for a bolt rebuild kit for my Tac Sol M4 upper.  

As far as I'm concerned it was a great product, which I often wondered why they discontinued it.  Mine is 15 years old and still runs like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that that may be the one that I bought more than ten years ago and never put onto a lower - I’ll have to see whether I still have it sitting in a drawer somewhere…

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I would guess that they could make more money manufacturing and selling other items.  Which is probably why Spikes Tactical and 2A Armament, and perhaps others also stopped making .22 uppers.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Obviously they are heavily invested in the 10/22 clone and the Ruger Mark I, II, III, IV platform.  I suspect a business decision was made to focus on more profitable products.  It's a shame though...about the time they pulled out of the AR22 game is when it really started to gain popularity.  They made a great product.  I was fortunate enough to acquire an M4 upper when Midway put them on clearance.  I've since sourced another barrel and bolt so I have two of them now.  There's, IMO, is a much improved version of the CMMG (Ciener) bolt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Erik72:
Obviously they are heavily invested in the 10/22 clone and the Ruger Mark I, II, III, IV platform.  I suspect a business decision was made to focus on more profitable products.  It's a shame though...about the time they pulled out of the AR22 game is when it really started to gain popularity.  They made a great product.  I was fortunate enough to acquire an M4 upper when Midway put them on clearance.  I've since sourced another barrel and bolt so I have two of them now.  There's, IMO, is a much improved version of the CMMG (Ciener) bolt.
View Quote

I like how the TacSol does not require a barrel collar. Yes this limits one to what barrel they can use but it is a simpler design with less parts. Chiappa copied the TacSol design with their 22LR uppers. Where Chiappa messed up was using a polymer upper receiver and cheap components. My Chiappa upper is quite accurate and 100% reliable once I put the Chiappa barrel and bolt into an aluminum receiver and installed a free float handguard.

I can see TacSol discontinuing their 22LR auppers and parts from a business standpoint so that they can concentrate on their more popular and profitable products.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:

I like how the TacSol does not require a barrel collar. Yes this limits one to what barrel they can use but it is a simpler design with less parts. Chiappa copied the TacSol design with their 22LR uppers. Where Chiappa messed up was using a polymer upper receiver and cheap components. .
View Quote

It's my understanding from a friend who shoots a Chiappa (after making similar upgrades) that the bolt is like pot metal and prone to cracking too.  I actually bought a couple of those barrel adapters from Chiappa.  They line up darn near perfectly with the TS bolt.  I have another Anschutz blank I was thinking of turning to be used with one of my TS bolts via that barrel adapter.  There's a guy on SnipersHide that did that.  He's shooting some tremendous groups.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Erik72] [#8]
duplicate post....my bad
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a Chiappa bolt next to a CMMG bolt.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I haven't kept a round count with my Chiappa bolt but I know I have shot plenty of CCI AR Tactical, CCI Min Mags, and Aquila Super Extra ammo through that upper without any issues.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my tacsol upper.  I had mine cut down and the fsb pinned.  I wish they still made them.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Any hints about where to source a barrel? I emailed TacSol about bolt parts but nothing yet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Erik72] [#12]
duplicate post....not sure how that happened
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By eric496: Any hints about where to source a barrel? I emailed TacSol about bolt parts but nothing yet.
View Quote

Scour the classifieds, ebay, etc.  I bought the barrel alone on the EE on this site.  It took me nearly a year to find another bolt.  I assembled the barrel into a receiver and handguard and was able to shoot it by swapping the bolt.  I wanted another bolt though.  fortunately, a fellow enthusiast on this site saw my request for a bolt and reached out to me.  He had a line on a complete upper but did not need the bolt so we split the cost of the upper.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Scour the classifieds, ebay, etc.  I bought the barrel alone on the EE on this site.  It took me nearly a year to find another bolt.  I assembled the barrel into a receiver and handguard and was able to shoot it by swapping the bolt.  I wanted another bolt though.  fortunately, a fellow enthusiast on this site saw my request for a bolt and reached out to me.  He had a line on a complete upper but did not need the bolt so we split the cost of the upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eric496: Any hints about where to source a barrel? I emailed TacSol about bolt parts but nothing yet.

Just curious - what did the complete upper sell for?

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By targetworks:Just curious - what did the complete upper sell for?
View Quote

I can't remember the total price.  I'm thinking it was $475.  I paid $250 and got the bolt, upper receiver, and charging handle.  He got the barrel and handguard.  I was happy with the deal.

Probably the closest thing to the Tactical Solutions AR22 now is a custom barrel from Keystone Accuracy.  He machines the barrel to accept the CMMG (Ciener-style) bolt without the chamber adaptor or round collar.  The feed ramp, extractor cut, and guide rail relief cuts are integral to the barrel.  It's a slick setup....but expensive.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#16]
@SnprPSG1

I have a brand new one with the cage that is on my list to sell. If you're interested, shoot me a message and I'll get you some pics.

Eric
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobR1] [#17]
I have an older one (M4 Flat Top). Probably 15 - 20 years old.
I am wanting to remove the Plastic M4 Handguards and replace them with a Stern Defense 15" M-Loc AR15 Handguard.

I thought I would ask some questions before tearing it down.

Does the Front Sight Assembly come off the barrel, or is it made together, and part of the Barrel Assembly?

What would be the best way to get rid of the front sight assembly?

Will a conventional AR15 Float Tube Handguard work?

I have been updating all of my AR's. The Tactical Solutions 22 has a new MagPul MOE Rifle Stock. I reused the Carbine Buffer and Spring in the Rifle Length Tube after installing a 1" X 2.75" Filler Spacer. Works fine.

My plans for the Upper are to install the Stern Defense 15" Handguard, after removing the front sight assembly. Install a 22LR Marked Dust Cover. Replace my old Riser with a new Leupold MK AR Cantilever Riser and new 30mm Rings. I will probably reuse my UltraDot 6, Red Dot Sight.

I have the Leupold MK AR 30mm Cantilever Base's on all of my other AR's. I went with the Cantilever Riser on this one due to the fact that I keep swapping optics on the 22.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob R

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#18]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#19]
Originally Posted By BobR1:
I have an older one (M4 Flat Top). Probably 15 - 20 years old.
I am wanting to remove the Plastic M4 Handguards and replace them with a Stern Defense 15" M-Loc AR15 Handguard.

I thought I would ask some questions before tearing it down.

Does the Front Sight Assembly come off the barrel, or is it made together, and part of the Barrel Assembly?

What would be the best way to get rid of the front sight assembly?

Will a conventional AR15 Float Tube Handguard work?

I have been updating all of my AR's. The Tactical Solutions 22 has a new MagPul MOE Rifle Stock. I reused the Carbine Buffer and Spring in the Rifle Length Tube after installing a 1" X 2.75" Filler Spacer. Works fine.

My plans for the Upper are to install the Stern Defense 15" Handguard, after removing the front sight assembly. Install a 22LR Marked Dust Cover. Replace my old Riser with a new Leupold MK AR Cantilever Riser and new 30mm Rings. I will probably reuse my UltraDot 6, Red Dot Sight.

I have the Leupold MK AR 30mm Cantilever Base's on all of my other AR's. I went with the Cantilever Riser on this one due to the fact that I keep swapping optics on the 22.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob R

View Quote

I recently asked a similar question: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/FSB-on-Tactical-Solutions-22lr-upper/15-784855/

I haven't tried the oil yet, but I can tell you that the set screw has something like Rocksett or Loctite on it. The 3/32" Allen wrench was not going to break it loose so I tapped a 2.5mm Allen in with a hammer. That did it. The set screw may never come off from the Allen without destroying it though. The set screw is under the sling swivel so you need to drive the rivet out with a punch. That was easier than expected. Cheap Allen set with the reach to get to the set screw: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133522142294

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Here a couple pictures of the barrel from My TS M4.  The one picture shows the barrel with the adapter sleeve removed.  Not my picture though I can confirm that's what it looks like.  Ultimately with the installation of the sleeve, it fits the upper receiver like any other AR15 barrel.  It's actually pretty slick.  I purchased a couple Anschutz blanks from Numrich and I'm contemplating having one machined to accept that TS collar.  While the Tactical Solutions bolt is essentially a Ciener variant, I do think it's very well made.  It would be a good candidate for a rebarrel like that.  So, other than the barrel, bolt, and magazine, the TS M4 upper is just like any other upper.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I looked at the other post. I got it all apart with no issues, after I located the set screw.
I did have to cut the Delta Ring assembly off to heat up the Barrel Nut. It was not breaking loose without heat.
Front Sight looks to be a Mil Spec M16A2 with the set screw hole drilled and tapped.
The Barrel Nut also looks to be M16A2.
Mine also had an M16A2 Flash Suppressor with Crush Washer.

I ended up installing a 15 Inch Midwest Industries M-LOK Handguard.
I changed out the old no name riser for a Leupold MK AR Cantilever Riser. I used Warne 30mm Rings to remount the UltraDot 6 Carbine Red Dot Sight.
I replaced the Dust Cover with one marked 22 LR on both sides.
I had a Collapsible Stock on it originally. I replaced it with a Rifle Buffer Tube and MagPul MOE Rifle Stock.
I reused the Carbine Buffer and Spring, after installing a 1" X 2.75" Nylon Rod Spacer to take up the added length. Worked fine.

I may swap out the Midwest 15" Handguard for a Stern Defense 12" sooner or later. I think it would look a little better with a shorter handguard.
Now I need to get it Zeroed again, so I can go back to shooting it. Two Gun this weekend.

Bob R
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BobR1:
I looked at the other post. I got it all apart with no issues, after I located the set screw.
I did have to cut the Delta Ring assembly off to heat up the Barrel Nut. It was not breaking loose without heat.
Front Sight looks to be a Mil Spec M16A2 with the set screw hole drilled and tapped.
The Barrel Nut also looks to be M16A2.
Mine also had an M16A2 Flash Suppressor with Crush Washer.

I ended up installing a 15 Inch Midwest Industries M-LOK Handguard.
I changed out the old no name riser for a Leupold MK AR Cantilever Riser. I used Warne 30mm Rings to remount the UltraDot 6 Carbine Red Dot Sight.
I replaced the Dust Cover with one marked 22 LR on both sides.
I had a Collapsible Stock on it originally. I replaced it with a Rifle Buffer Tube and MagPul MOE Rifle Stock.
I reused the Carbine Buffer and Spring, after installing a 1" X 2.75" Nylon Rod Spacer to take up the added length. Worked fine.

I may swap out the Midwest 15" Handguard for a Stern Defense 12" sooner or later. I think it would look a little better with a shorter handguard.
Now I need to get it Zeroed again, so I can go back to shooting it. Two Gun this weekend.

Bob R
View Quote

Glad you got it apart. I'll probably try mine this weekend. I have a 12" RTB free float handguard for it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top