Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 2:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496]
Has anyone removed theirs? There's no pin. The set screw is out but it won't budge, even when tapped with a hammer. Before I start cutting, is there something else I'm missing? My guess is that they glued it on with Rocksett or something like that.

The plan is to put a free float handguard and optic on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd try heat before I started cutting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine only took a little penetrating oil and a couple taps of a rubber mallet. came off easily with no sign of locking agents.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you gonna do with the FSB?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UVvis:
Mine only took a little penetrating oil and a couple taps of a rubber mallet. came off easily with no sign of locking agents.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll try that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
What are you gonna do with the FSB?
View Quote

Put it in my spare parts box in case I ever want to go back to open sights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
This is great to know. I am working on the same plan.
I have been updating my AR's, and figured the Tactical Solutions 22 would be a good candidate for an update also. Mine is an M4 Flattop from 15-20 years ago. With Colt M4 Handguards at present. I have previously cut the sight tower off to be out of the Optical Sight. I bought the better (Steel Lip)  Black-Dog Magazines when I first got it. I believe they had just came on the market, and I have some of the first ones.  They run great. The Tactical Solutions Upper runs great also.

When I get done the plan is to install a 15" M-Loc Handguard. I have a Leupold MK AR Cantilever Riser to install. I plan to reuse the UltraDot 6 Carbine Red Dot, and 30mm Rings. (It is on a Riser at the moment, just not nearly as good a Riser as the Leupold MK AR). I have already converted from a Collapsible Stock to a MagPul MOE rifle stock. I installed a new Rifle Extension Tube. I reused the Carbine Buffer and Spring, after installing a 1" X 2.75 Plastic Filler Spacer. It functions fine in this configuration.

I will get to work taking the sight off in the next few days.

I presume that the Barrel Nut on the Modern Forend will work on the Tactical Solutions Upper?

Bob R
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Renaissancemann:
I'd try heat before I started cutting.
View Quote

Yes, a little heat is all it took for mine.  Might be red loctite but it came loose pretty easily.  I ultimately did the same thing you are planning to do; Free-float and scope.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:14:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BobR1] [#8]
Updating my 15-20 year old Tactical Solutions 16" Flat Top Upper.

I drilled the rivet out of the sling swivel to get to the set screw. My set screw came out reasonably easy.
I applied a little Kroil Oil, and smacked the sight with a Plastic Mallet, and it came loose, again way easier than anticipated.

Now I had a problem. The barrel nut must have RED Loc Tite on the threads. It was WAAAAAY TIGHT.
I got out the Dremel with a Cut Off Wheel and cut the Delta Ring Assembly off the Barrel Nut. I switched from the Barrel Vice to the Receiver Clam Shell to hold the Upper. I applied heat from a Propane Torch, and it then came right off using a standard Barrel Wrench designed to work on a GI style Barrel Nut.

The Front Sight Assembly looked to be a standard M16A2, only drilled and tapped for the Set Screw under the Sling Swivel. It was set up for a Gas Tube, not a special 22LR Mickey Mouse Sight Assembly.
The Barrel Nut also looked to be a standard M16A2, only heavily RED Loc Tited in place.
My Flash Suppressor was also M16A2 with a Crush Washer.

After getting it apart, I installed my Custom Dust Cover marked "22 LR" on both sides.
I ended up using a Midwest 15" M-Loc Handguard.
I installed my Leupold MK AR Cantilever Riser, with Warne 30MM Steel Rings.
I reinstalled my UltraDot 6 Carbine RED DOT Sight.
I replaced my Carbine Stock with a MagPul MOE Rifle Stock. I used an AR Stoner Rifle Extension Tube. I installed a 1" X 2.75" Buffer Tube Spacer, and reused my Carbine Spring and Buffer.

It ran perfectly in this configuration, and looks a lot more modern.

All I lack is the hardware kit for the Quick Attach Sling for the MOE Stock. It is already on my next Midway Order.

Bob R
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top