BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2021 9:48:44 AM EDT
I am helping a friend build an AR-15 in M16A1 configuration. We are having trouble finding a barrel assembly with the correct "pencil" profile. Every place we have looked the barrel is OUT OF STOCK with no indication when if ever they will be back in stock. And suggestions? Also we ant it to be chromed lined with 1 in 7 twist.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Same problem here.  Unobtanium.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
COVID
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is you guys are buying during an election year and a gun panic. Nothing is in stock. Your most realistic option (although not in your exact parameters) is to call up Criterion or Fulton Armory and see if they have any of their 20 inch 1:8 pencil barrels available (Criterion makes them for FA). The only source I can think of that would have a 1:7 is Brownells, so you might just need to put your name on the backorder list and wait for one to pop up. Final option is to get a barrel blank from your choice of manufacturer (I like Green Mountain), and send it off to any number of gunsmiths/machinists to make exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been trying for months to find one. There's one here for $1000 but I'm not even going there. I think I also missed out on another one last night. If you do happen to see one better grab it then and there with no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The newly produced ones are going to be OOS for a long time. A more correct option is to go for an original Colt pencil barrel. Rather than paying the ridiculous prices people are asking, you'd be best off finding a complete Colt upper and taking the barrel off it.
Come to think of it, you could do the same for a newly produced pencil barrel. Find someone selling a self-built A1 upper or full rifle, take the barrel off, and part the rest out. I've seen $900 asked for originals on Gunbroker and now $1000 here?? That same exact money would get you an A1 clone that someone built and you could rip the barrel off of. After parting out the upper or rifle you'd have effectively spent $500 tops on the barrel, and probably closer to $400 usually. Don't get taken to the cleaners lol
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Long time passing.....     ??
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
as best I can tell ammunition and major gun component manufacturers were COMPLETELY unprepared for any significant increase in gun ownership. Its simply a matter of supply and demand and when your down to less than 10 major source manufacturers inside the us and only a couple native ammunition pants this is what you end up with. This especially affects barrel I think because the producers dont want to skip on quality control and a lot more human labor goes into there production. I dont think we'll ever see .223 below $.50 a round again sadly, the big box store contracts are being signed at current prices. Right now it pays me to be a lazy that never goes to the range.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I can check at the shop tomorrow, I probably have some USGI ones, I know I have a couple bare receivers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am helping a friend build an AR-15 in M16A1 configuration. We are having trouble finding a barrel assembly with the correct "pencil" profile. Every place we have looked the barrel is OUT OF STOCK with no indication when if ever they will be back in stock. And suggestions? Also we ant it to be chromed lined with 1 in 7 twist.
View Quote

Where have you been for the past 10 months?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can check at the shop tomorrow, I probably have some USGI ones, I know I have a couple bare receivers.
View Quote

Stripped upper receivers with m4 feed ramps?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been trying for months to find one. There's one here for $1000 but I'm not even going there. I think I also missed out on another one last night. If you do happen to see one better grab it then and there with no questions asked.
View Quote

Boy this is the truth! If you see something you want today then you need to jump on it and probably will pay much more than what had been the going price. Last summer using two M16A1 parts kits I was building two retros. I was lucky to snag the only 20" pencil barrel I could find online (JSE Surplus 1/9 twist non-chrome lined, not even nitrated) which went to what I call a "1967 XM16E1". It's much like the early M16A1 I was issued in Feb 1968 except my retro XM has the 3 prong flash hider and partial fence NoDak Spud lower. The other build was turning into a "1971-74" M16A1 and I found a Colt C MP B barrel on the EE for $500. Gulp! But now I'm glad I bought it.

Now if you're building a BRN10 you can get barrels for $150-180! And the upper and lower plus part for $350.     BCG? Oops, Pinocchio Joe Biden got those.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had a AR15 in M16A2 configuration for a number of years. It is my friend who just decided to join the party and get a rifle that is more common place then his SIG AMT.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Lathe go burr.

I think that's your only reasonable option, reprofile and re phosphate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent green mountain an email about 1-12 twist pencil barrels a few weeks ago
They have no definitive date but said more would be made.   They have no waiting list so when some come up apparently first come first served

So perhaps more of you guys need to email them and tell them you need a couple.   Maybe then they will do a run
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gone to retros everyone.

When will they ever learn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I am looking for a 11.5 xm177E2 barrel. Does any one have any suggestion also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am looking for a 11.5 xm177E2 barrel. Does any one have any suggestion also.
View Quote

Original XM177 barrels have been sold on rare occasion here on the EE.  Besides that, I once saw one on gunbroker.  I have also seen Colt 1:12 carbine barrels there too.  HTH.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Am looking for any barrel that will work.  If some could point in the right direction
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gone to retros everyone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gone to retros everyone.

Someone got it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Someone got it.
View Quote

Now I get it!

Where Have All The Pencil Barrels Gone?
They've gone to graveyards every one
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Long time ago
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Del-Ton had some...
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Del-Ton had some...
View Quote

HAD is the key word!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

HAD is the key word!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Del-Ton had some...

HAD is the key word!

Dang!  I got one!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dang!  I got one!  
View Quote

I checked their website this morning and 20 inch light weight barrels were "OUT OF STOCK". When did you get yours?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://retrorifles.com/14-5-inch-pencil-profile-carbine-barrel-625/

@TheWizardofWoz
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]

And if somebody asks about the reputation of that site I am going to lose my mind
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And if somebody asks about the reputation of that site I am going to lose my mind
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I checked their website this morning and 20 inch light weight barrels were "OUT OF STOCK". When did you get yours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang!  I got one!  

Last night I got an in stock notice.

ETA... In bound Friday.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]

20 INCH   1:7 is Nitride finished (Currently Sold Out) from Retrorifles website
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Last night I got an in stock notice.

ETA... In bound Friday.
View Quote

I will keep checking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I really should have bought 2 20 inch A1 barrels a year ago.

I've signed up for a return email but still waiting.
I'm tempted to give up and sell the parts. Its for the last couple I need to fill a M12 rack. Probably don't need 10 of them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#33]
It kinda sounds like the complete C MP C barrel assembly I have rat-holed ought to be dusted off and put on the E-E.  Doubt very seriously at this point I'll ever do anything with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Just order 20 inch chrome lined 1:9 pencil barrel from Del-Ton.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Email today from delton but the barrel is .750 at the FSB.

https://www.del-ton.com/Del-Ton-Inc-Barrels-p/bl1028.htm
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#36]
There is a new take off Colt CMB barrel listed on EE right now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#37]
They are all being assembled onto rifles of some sort. Getting ready for the next phase of commi that is about to enter govt office.

Just a guess though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Those of you who have ordered the Del-Ton pencil barrels recently, what are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There is a new take off Colt CMB barrel listed on EE right now.
View Quote

Hey, that was a good deal! An early bird snapped up your barrel less than an hour after you posted!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hey, that was a good deal! An early bird snapped up your barrel less than an hour after you posted!
View Quote

Well, as far as forums go, this is the nicest bunch of guys around.   I'm not out to gouge anyone, it's been sitting for too long, needed a new home.

Thanks for the compliment!

Will
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well, as far as forums go, this is the nicest bunch of guys around.   I'm not out to gouge anyone, it's been sitting for too long, needed a new home.

Thanks for the compliment!

Will
View Quote

Will, you're right, there are a lot of good guys here and you're one! And who knows, maybe a woman or two who likes Vietnam era rifles. I'm sure your barrel could find a real nice home in an M16A1 parts kit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those of you who have ordered the Del-Ton pencil barrels recently, what are your thoughts?
View Quote

It’s a good quality barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#43]
if barrels are really this hard to come by, it looks like it may be time for me to dig out a half dozen or so of my "investments" and sell
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#44]
while not "retro", Ballistic Advantage had a couple pencil barrel options and you can have them drill and pin a FSB with appropriate parts.  No more on their site....gone, not just OOS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#45]
@QCMGR  Glad to hear it.  I've got one standing by for a project.  I can say that I am very happy with their customer support.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@QCMGR  Glad to hear it.  I've got one standing by for a project.  I can say that I am very happy with their customer support.
View Quote

I’ve been really pleased with their products
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
if barrels are really this hard to come by, it looks like it may be time for me to dig out a half dozen or so of my "investments" and sell
View Quote

gentlemen,
please don't message me about barrels...IF, I decide to sell some of my barrels... and that's a big IF... they will be posted up properly in the Equipment Exchange, with "Retro Barrels" as the title..
thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I feel the same.  I’d sell one
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm looking at two 6720's out ready to be cleaned. That's enough for now.....no way I'd sell them.....yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Very nice and easy to work with. The barrel itself is high quality and accurate. I put a request in their comments section when ordering for an A2 FSB instead of the F mark one. Sure enough, no questions asked, they did at no cost. I only wish it came with a front sight post and a sling swivel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top