Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 10:28:02 AM EDT
Saw this photo when searching XM177 pics and noticed something strange with the magazine in the gun.  It looks to be longer than a 20 round mag, but isn’t curved like a 30.  Could it be some experimental 25 round mag or is it just a standard 20 with no ammo and not fully seated?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a "full curve" 30 round magazine.  They came out in 1967, and were to be standard issue with the shorty M16's, but they had problems with them and they were recalled.  They are quite rare today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
That was quick, thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure that's not a rubber duck?  Zoom in on the forward assist and bolt.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a "full curve" 30 round magazine.  They came out in 1967, and were to be standard issue with the shorty M16's, but they had problems with them and they were recalled.  They are quite rare today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2443_JPG-712108.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2444_JPG-712109.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2446_JPG-712111.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2447_JPG-712112.JPG
View Quote
NO! Look at the OP's picture. It's a 20 not seated all the way or a movie prop. Look at the middle grove, unlike the 30 it doesn't go to the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It does appear to be a normal 20-round magazine that is not seated all the way.  With that said in my opinion there is a bunch of things with the carbine in that picture that do not seem right.  I speculate it is an airsoft XM177 that someone has attempted to install a real 20-round magazine in for looks.  There is what appears to be a seam (common on airsoft) in the front of the magazine well of the lower receiver.  The front pivot pin appears to be a screw head (also common on airsoft).  The bolt carrier and injection port door catch look funny (characteristic of airsoft).  And finally the buffer tube and buttstock appear to be bowed downward off the back of the lower receiver (and yet again something possible with a airsoft plastic extension nub).  Sometimes airsoft players will use real magazine shells over modified airsoft magazines in an attempt for a more realistic looking magazine but this appears more like it was done as a quickie movie prop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I just noticed the weird front sight base too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen that picture a thousand times and never picked up on that there is something hinky about the gun, good eye!
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Incorrect slots on the moderator as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It does appear to be a normal 20-round magazine that is not seated all the way.  With that said in my opinion there is a bunch of things with the carbine in that picture that do not seem right.  I speculate it is an airsoft XM177 that someone has attempted to install a real 20-round magazine in for looks.  There is what appears to be a seam (common on airsoft) in the front of the magazine well of the lower receiver.  The front pivot pin appears to be a screw head (also common on airsoft).  The bolt carrier and injection port door catch look funny (characteristic of airsoft).  And finally the buffer tube and buttstock appear to be bowed downward off the back of the lower receiver (and yet again something possible with a airsoft plastic extension nub).  Sometimes airsoft players will use real magazine shells over modified airsoft magazines in an attempt for a more realistic looking magazine but this appears more like it was done as a quickie movie prop.
View Quote
I first saw that photo back in the late 80’s or very early 90’s on a book cover my buddy had on his shelf.  I think the book was from some military tactics series of books he was getting, so probably not airsoft. Gun does look strange though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
More info using an image search:

“Boatswain's Mate 1st Class Mark Blasen, foreground, and Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Peter Rogers, both members of Sea-Air-Land (SEAL) Team 4, participate in a training exercise. Blasen is armed with a 5.56 mm Colt Commando assault rifle/submarine gun. All Hands - April 1985. SEAL Colt Commando v2”

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-boatswains-mate-1st-class-mark-blasen-foreground-and-photographers-129980188.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
MGC blank firing replica....
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MGC blank firing replica....
View Quote
Sure looks like one from the bolt carier profile. I dug this up doing a google search:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/MGC_M16_Full_Auto_Blank_Gun/123-481234/
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Dunno, but you have the coolest avatar ever (Nixon meets Elvis). That poster is in the rear stall of the gentlemen's at the Frog and Monkey British Pub. One day, it will grace my pub.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dunno, but you have the coolest avatar ever (Nixon meets Elvis). That poster is in the rear stall of the gentlemen's at the Frog and Monkey British Pub. One day, it will grace my pub.
View Quote
Thanks man
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks man
Supposedly Elvis was wearing a .38 in that picture
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks man
Elvis could, because he was The King.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is a marketing/promotional/training photo from the 1980's, I have seen it many times.  I suspect they are legit military in promo photos.  Was on the front of the "Seal Team" computer game from the 1990's, and also in some firearms reference books from the same era.

You can see that the gun is most likely a blank gun from the strange lines of the bolt carrier and forward assist.  You can see that same strange bolt carrier/forward assist look in the blank/prop gun M16's used in Full Metal jacket when they are fighting in the city.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I remember that game.....in retrospect they look like they're going to a Platoon-themed costume party dressed up like Sgt Elias and Pvt Taylor
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top