Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2010 12:02:00 PM EDT
I finally got a Model Gun Corp. M16  blank rifle. I know some people have asked about the upper receiver forward assist. The FA is just a hex screw that hold the upper on the lower. The rear take down pin is the sear pin. The rifle seem to be striker fired. The safety goes from Semi / Safe / Full. The rear buffer is the hammer/striker, there is no firing pin in the bolt. I have fully taken down the rifle and can post the pics if you want to see them, or go to my PhotoBucket page.

Here are some of the high lights.

GVS
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool!
Just like the ones in Full Metal Jacket.
I'd like to see more detailed photos.
What does the left side look like?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
How does the construction compare to a real one? real steel or pot metal?..Looks really good! Glad you got it,,did it turn out to be the same one I sent you the auction on that had originally closed with reserve not met?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]

The tube at the top near the screw driver  is what the sear holds back, it strikes the bolt when you pull the trigger.

The two screws holes in the upper hold the ejector in place.

Brass gas plug. I guess you can change the size of the port. The barrel has two gas ports that go the the muzzle.

I do not know what kind of blanks it fires. The mag has a plug on the front like the AR15 blank mags.

GVS
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah, I have a set of those handguards!
They're going on my XM16E1 lamp project.

GVS has posted the first "Full Metal Jacket" build.

I'd like to pick one of these up someday if I can find one inexpensive enough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
None of the parts will work on a AR15/M16. I have to get a photo of the mag.

GVS

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to pick one of these up someday if I can find one inexpensive enough.

How much do those things go for?  

Someone has a blank firing, full auto, movie prop 723 carbine listed on GB right now, looks even more real than the MGC ones, even has proper Colt markings.  Would be fun to blast with if the blanks didn't cost too much, but at $250 starting bid it's more than I'd want to pay for a "toy" rifle.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Most Japanese model guns use a "plug fire cap" system.  You should be able to look into the chamber and see the firing pin.  It uses brass cartridges.  You unscrew the cartridge in the middle and insert a propritetary "plug fire" cap inside.  There is also a free-floating washer which acts as a piston.

When the gun is fired, the hammer/striker pushes the cartridge forward against the firing pin in the chamber.  The firing pin fits into a hole in the cartridge and the piston and fires the cap.  The expanding gases from the firing of the cap push the piston against the firing pin, creating recoil that causes the cartridge to eject.  

I had a few different PFC guns back in the 1980s, but they are long gone.

Found via Google - not the same gun, but a good example of the PFC system.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/reviews/marushin_xm177e2_pfc/marushin_xm177e2_pfc_review.htm

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most Japanese model guns use a "plug fire cap" system.  You should be able to look into the chamber and see the firing pin.  It uses brass cartridges.  You unscrew the cartridge in the middle and insert a propritetary "plug fire" cap inside.  There is also a free-floating washer which acts as a piston.

When the gun is fired, the hammer/striker pushes the cartridge forward against the firing pin in the chamber.  The firing pin fits into a hole in the cartridge and the piston and fires the cap.  The expanding gases from the firing of the cap push the piston against the firing pin, creating recoil that causes the cartridge to eject.  

I had a few different PFC guns back in the 1980s, but they are long gone.

Found via Google - not the same gun, but a good example of the PFC system.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/reviews/marushin_xm177e2_pfc/marushin_xm177e2_pfc_review.htm

There is no pin in the chamber or the bolt. The gun release the hammer/striker only after the bolt is closed. It seems on full auto the sear is held back and the hammer/striker follows the bolt. Slam fire is more like it.

GVS

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a video of one at this site.

http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/

Not the same gun in video

Here a cool web site about M16 used in movies.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=M16
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the pics..now I know where these handguards came from.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
None of the parts will work on a AR15/M16. I have to get a photo of the mag.

GVS

Nice score!! It is hard to find the MGC intact with all the lower parts.

While the MGC parts will not work on a real AR! Some AR parts can be moded to fit the MGC! I have a few MGC m16's that I bought from a Hollywood prop house. Unfortunately they would not give a pedigree of movies they were used in! Good luck trying to find spare parts for the older M16 variant. The newer M16A1 still has parts available. I also got two old Hudson AK's from the same prop house. I was told all the guns were used in many motion pictures and TV shows. But without certification we will never know. It sucks because they very well could have been screen guns from Taps, Full Metal Jacket, to name a few. I just saw the movie black sheep and Gary Busey's charector has Both the MGC and Hudson AK's. I will put all the blank guns up for sale soon!! If I can figure out what they are worth!

Also the mag for the older MGC M16 is slightly undersized from the real one. I was able to mod a new 30rnder for the newer M16A1, before I found a proper mag for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Reminds me of the time I spent running around the woods in Quantico with an A1 and BFA in '78...
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]
That is so exceedingly cool! I wonder why these are not more common! I am in a no MG state and would love to have one. What kind of blanks does it use? Are they expensive?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The mag fits a real AR15. Just tried it before putting it away. More than likely I will never do anything with it. I still need to find out what blanks it uses. The newer model uses 5.56 blanks it seems. This one the blanks are a 1/4 inch shorter.

GVS
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else catch the similarity between the slipring on this and the "single rib" sliprings that have been recently manufactured by a member here?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The mag fits a real AR15. Just tried it before putting it away. More than likely I will never do anything with it. I still need to find out what blanks it uses. The newer model uses 5.56 blanks it seems. This one the blanks are a 1/4 inch shorter.

GVS

Try a real AR mag in the MGC. It should not fit. I have tried several times to insert real AR mags in all four of my MGC M16's and they will not go in. The mag well is just undersized "On Mine". The newer M16A1 variant. That is now produced by Marushin of japan will take real AR15 mags. It is a bitch, because of the four MGC prop guns I have, none came with mags!! The only mag I have seen for sale was over $100 without shipping. I was able to get parts and a mag for the later M16A1, but coming from Japan it was pretty damn expensive. I will measure the mag wells to see what the difference is between real AR's, and the older MGC!!

Side note about the blanks! I am about 97% sure they use the plug fire cap which is inserted in a custom  brass .223 shell. Last I seen they were pretty spendy. I will see if I can find a few links...

These guy's know their stuff, and can answer any question...
British Model Gun Forum Link
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top