Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2021 12:13:19 AM EDT
I'm building a 20in barrel dpms gen1 ar and was wondering what upper to go with. Anyone have experience with ar15parts.com they have exactly what I want for a very good price and in stock but I have no idea what kind of quality they are.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have placed a few orders with them and find them to be a great company to deal with.  Good prices , fast delivery and customer service willing to answer questions and to work with you via phone or email.

I have only purchased one complete upper from them so my experience with uppers is a "one off".  I have over 100 rounds through it and it's performance has been flawless.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you just looking for an upper receiver?  You say "build", so I assume you are.  If you are, I like the Aero Precision A5 upper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Second recommendation for Aero / BA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I know aero precision will definitely be a good one to get but the one from ar15parts.com is a whopping 200$ cheaper so even if it's a bit less quality as long as it still works good I'd rather go with that. That's why I was kinda just looking for some reviews on this but I couldn't find much.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know aero precision will definitely be a good one to get but the one from ar15parts.com is a whopping 200$ cheaper so even if it's a bit less quality as long as it still works good I'd rather go with that. That's why I was kinda just looking for some reviews on this but I couldn't find much.
View Quote

Why don't you link us to the one that you are looking at.  Is the gun only going to be for plinking; a range toy?  If you are planning to use it shoot accurately at any significant difference I would spend the extra to get a good quality upper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
https://ar15parts.com/upper-assemblies/20-308-parkerized-heavy-barrel-15-rail-competition-muzzle-brake-ar10-lr308-rifle-upper-assembly/                 it would be just an all around gun hunting/plinking. As long as it shoots good to 500-600 yards then that would be fine with me
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://ar15parts.com/upper-assemblies/20-308-parkerized-heavy-barrel-15-rail-competition-muzzle-brake-ar10-lr308-rifle-upper-assembly/                 it would be just an all around gun hunting/plinking. As long as it shoots good to 500-600 yards then that would be fine with me
View Quote
Define "good".  5 MOA? 1 MOA? It's a big difference.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you just looking for an upper receiver?  You say "build", so I assume you are.  If you are, I like the Aero Precision A5 upper.
View Quote

How about the M5?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Good is 1 moa I eventually plan on reloading if that makes a difference
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How about the M5?
View Quote

That too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]
1 MOA to 5-600 yards is going to take money and time. You'll need a quality barrel, scope and trigger to make that happen.
Quoted:
Good is 1 moa I eventually plan on reloading if that makes a difference
View Quote
I would personally just start with a 20" Aero Precision upper. If you need more after that, after you've shot it and know what you really want, get a Krieger or LW barrel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody know anything about Haze Line Guns they have great prices on aero precision uppers. Just want to make sure there legit before ordering
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm building a 20in barrel dpms gen1 ar and was wondering what upper to go with. Anyone have experience with ar15parts.com they have exactly what I want for a very good price and in stock but I have no idea what kind of quality they are.
View Quote
what lower do you have?  80%?
just thinking of the fit and match-up between the upper & lower.

usually when people say "build", I thought (JMHO) that meant buying the barrel, stripped upper, handguard separately and then assembling.  I didn't think buying a completed upper is building.  Only reason I mention that is because the stripped Aero M5 upper is about $150, and then when you said the other brand is $200 less, in my head, the math didn't work out.

of course, now, it's all clear.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The lower is a 80% from 80% lower machine works. I think I did a pretty good job considering all I had was a old 8in drill press. Everything in the lower seems to be nice and smooth and straight. I said build mainly because of the lower. It seems that it's cheaper to buy an upper than it is to build so that's the roure im going.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The lower is a 80% from 80% lower machine works. I think I did a pretty good job considering all I had was a old 8in drill press. Everything in the lower seems to be nice and smooth and straight. I said build mainly because of the lower. It seems that it's cheaper to buy an upper than it is to build so that's the route im going.
View Quote

since your lower is a generic 80% DPMS lower, I'd recommend against going with an Aero upper.  the curvature radius at the back of the Aero M5 upper is slightly different than the generic DPMS 308 upper/lower.  I do use the 80% DPMS 308 lowers with my Aero uppers, but always have to do some very slight clearancing in the red-circled area on the lower to get it to fit my Aero uppers.  I have all Aero uppers, so I've chosen to modify the lower to get it to fit nicely, and then cerakote/anodize afterwards to cover up my handiwork.

see posts by Dr69er, 7/22/2019, p51.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Aero-Precision-308-M5-Everything/121-662611/?r=-1&page=51&anc=7931810#i7931810

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#16]
If you don't recommend aero precision then what upper would you reccomend.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you don't recommend aero precision then what upper would you recommend.
View Quote
like I said, ALL my uppers are Aero, so I don't have any firsthand experience with any "generic" DPMS-style LR-308 uppers.  I assemble my own Aero uppers with my choice of barrel, BCG, handguard, etc, to get exactly what I want.

but from looking at arfcom comments, posts, seems like PSA is decent ($750).  But if you're looking for cheap, you might consider BCA, rear-charging ($550), unless you want a non-standardized side-charger.  With BCA, you might have to fiddle with it a little bit, I mean, it's BCA.  since you built your own lower, you ought to be able to handle it.  no offense, please.

if you go with BCA, you might have to do some bore brushing, chamber brushing to clean it up, check the barrel bore for gas port drill flashing, etc.  on the other hand, you might not need to, it's a crap shoot.  but the basics are there.  Well, actually, you should do that kind of inspection with anybody's upper, barrel that you buy.  The couple of BCA barrels I've boughten have been fine, after initial "prep".  I haven't really ever browsed the cheap 308 uppers market offerings.

ETA:  or, you could get the Aero upper, and file-to-fit on the back end, hit it with some flat-black.  it'd probably take about 30-60 minutes to get it "custom fitted".

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright I'll probably just get the aero precision to work with my lower. Eventually I'll get the lower anodized so that should cover up the imperfections.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alright I'll probably just get the aero precision to work with my lower. Eventually I'll get the lower anodized so that should cover up the imperfections.
View Quote

couple of points:
I think the 20" Aero 308 comes with the Ballistic Advantage 55oz barrel.  that is a HEAVY barrel.  in comparison to my Faxon 20" "Heavy Fluted" barrel which comes in at 2.5 lbs.

My first 308 upper I built, used the most economical, always-on-sale BA barrel.  it was heavy, and quickly inspired me to do my 2nd build with a lighter barrel.  that's how it starts.

secondly:
if you get everything fitted perfectly, superb, bespoke, and your lower is in the raw unfinished state, and then you send it out to get it cerakoted, when you get it back, it might not fit (again).  and then you have to file-to-fit (again), and remove the cerakote thickness.  I'm speaking from experience.  I shoulda seen that coming.  maybe, regular letter paper thickness.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#20]
It seems MAS defense has a very good price on aero uppers are they a good company to deal with. They also have there own bolt carrier group are they good quality.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Well after doing a bit more searching I think I'm going to try the ar15parts.com 16in upper as it will be lighter weight than the 20in and it's only 360 bucks even if it only shoots 1.5 moa that would be fine as eventually I would like to get a carbon fiber barrel. I haven't really been able to find any bad reviews on them and it's made in USA so how bad can it be.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]
AERO
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I ordered  the ar15parts.com 16in upper they shipped it out very quick and it should be here today so shipping is quick so far everything is good. Still won't be able to shoot it as I can't find a bcg in stock at a good price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I ordered  the ar15parts.com 16in upper they shipped it out very quick and it should be here today so shipping is quick so far everything is good. Still won't be able to shoot it as I can't find a bcg in stock at a good price.
View Quote

quality BCG's that used to cost $140 pre-pandemic are now routinely going for $210.  you might have to re-adjust your definition of "good price", sorry to say.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Yea I ended up paying 215 for a brownells bcg but they had them in stock. I got the ar15parts.com upper and initial impressions are good I can't find and defects in it but I hadn't shot it yet either have to wait for the rest of the parts. How difficult should it be to push in the rear takedown pin it wouldn't push in but it went in with a couple of light taps is that normal or should I try to do a little clearencing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]
After playing with it for a bit it seems if I put the rear pin in first it goes right in. How much play between the upper and lower should there be there's some but not a lot
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yea I ended up paying 215 for a brownells bcg but they had them in stock. I got the ar15parts.com upper and initial impressions are good I can't find and defects in it but I hadn't shot it yet either have to wait for the rest of the parts. How difficult should it be to push in the rear takedown pin it wouldn't push in but it went in with a couple of light taps is that normal or should I try to do a little clearencing.
View Quote

I wouldn't do any clearancing.  after you shoot it a bit, etc, it'll loosen up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, after FINALLY (Don't use fedex) getting my bcg I fired 3 rounds and it seems to be good. I don't know how the extractors are on these but it's very difficult to move but it was extracting fine. There's some rather heavy marks on the brass on the bottom where that pin is and where the extractor is don't know if that's normal or not.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top