AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1350 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thanksforposting:
Wondering if anyone else has holes in their nuts. Heck, could be common for all I know. These perforations are at each wrench flat, four total. Posting because a new barrel and nut I got off the EE does not have any perforations. I only noticed as I was swapping them out. Convenient that the barrel came with a spare nut.

https://i.imgur.com/Hhaium1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/w51xFlM.jpg

On that note I finally got a correctly ported DD barrel and can put the .083 into the parts bin. The .070 pin gauge gets seated but doesn't pass through the port and the .069 gauge passes all the way through, so it's somewhere in the middle - 0.0695? Lol. I don't mean to bring up gas ports for the nth time. Receipt date is August 2017 which lines up with what we already knew.

https://i.imgur.com/zv4vcFS.jpg

It was my first time getting my rocksett'd SF4P off. What a PITA. I read up on this and knew to soak it in water, so I tried playing it safe by soaking it in hot water for 30 minutes. Wouldn't budge. Soaked it for another hour at a rolling boil and managed to get it off, barely. Marred my wrench flats.

Wife had questions when she came home.

https://i.imgur.com/sTu7dhA.jpg
View Quote

Looks like they either cut the threads too deep or the wrench notches. Definitely not a standard feature.

Yep, that's what I do... ol' URG in the boilin' pot, lol. I'd guess there must've been a pretty hefty amount of Rocksett; I can usually boil for about 30 minutes and the Rocksett goes bye-bye.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Wondering if anyone else has holes in their nuts. Heck, could be common for all I know. These perforations are at each wrench flat, four total. Posting because a new barrel and nut I got off the EE does not have any perforations. I only noticed as I was swapping them out. Convenient that the barrel came with a spare nut.
On that note I finally got a correctly ported DD barrel and can put the .083 into the parts bin. The .070 pin gauge gets seated but doesn't pass through the port and the .069 gauge passes all the way through, so it's somewhere in the middle - 0.0695? Lol. I don't mean to bring up gas ports for the nth time. Receipt date is August 2017 which lines up with what we already knew.
It was my first time getting my rocksett'd SF4P off. What a PITA. I read up on this and knew to soak it in water, so I tried playing it safe by soaking it in hot water for 30 minutes. Wouldn't budge. Soaked it for another hour at a rolling boil and managed to get it off, barely. Marred my wrench flats.
View Quote

As pezboytate mentioned the cuts in the barrel nut is normal.
In my experience, I've noticed the cuts in the BN on older RIS rails. (Date marked rails)
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

The barrel nut is normal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

In my experience, I've noticed the cuts in the BN on older RIS rails. (Date marked rails)

Strange, none of mine have holes. They aren't the older date marked, however.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By krdt:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By krdt:

Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Mine is a '12-ish one and the barrel nut is cut through worse than his.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

@thanksforposting, if you need to get rid of a spare I need one for a rail that is missing one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]
This is like top 10 best paint job I’ve ever witnessed. What combos did you use specifically and method?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:29:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I wouldn't say it is normal, but it does happen. I have seen both RIS II Barrel nuts with a slight hole and 7.62 Lite Barrel nuts with a slight hole.

As far as the Rocksett, I have had to boil them for up to three hours before they'd come off. Anything after the three hour mark, I let the water cool off and the move the pot to a spot where it can sit for at least 24hrs. That stuff really is quite amazing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: allthecoffee223] [#9]
Do I get to play? Not a clone by any means but love the 10.3 variance

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Just joined the MK18 club and I love it. It's the shortest AR15 barrel I have, so I was trying to find some data/research on defensive ammo ballistics testing for barrels this short, similar to Dr. Roberts's comprehensive testing.

Unfortunately, it seems like testing is relatively sparse. Most of the time it seems like people are simply picking ammunition for their 10.3" barrels with proven ballistics for 14.5-16" barrels. I'm not sure we can count on those tests for my MK18.

Does anyone have any ballistics testing for barrels this short.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StowaNewb:
Just joined the MK18 club and I love it. It's the shortest AR15 barrel I have, so I was trying to find some data/research on defensive ammo ballistics testing for barrels this short, similar to Dr. Roberts's comprehensive testing.

Unfortunately, it seems like testing is relatively sparse. Most of the time it seems like people are simply picking ammunition for their 10.3" barrels with proven ballistics for 14.5-16" barrels. I'm not sure we can count on those tests for my MK18.

View Quote

just use 77 grn sierra match kings. they work very well in short guns and can flex easily to 800 yds (obviously not from the 10.3)
i believe thats what the .mil uses in these
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Awesome, as always, thanks for sharing and stay safe!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

This should give you a general idea of the sort of velocities you can expect with many popular rounds:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-714088/?

Personally, my current defense round is Hornady Black 75gr SBR, but I'm probably going to work up a 77gr SMK load in the near future. Basically, an Mk262 clone. I'd like to have a little more defense-grade ammo on hand, and buying factory ammo at $1 per round just ain't my cup o' tea, lol.

No real way to clone the Hornady Black SBR load in any case, due to the specialized powder; but the components for a decent, economical Mk262 clone are readily available.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StowaNewb] [#14]
Thanks for the recs on ammo. I was thinking about going with the MK 262 clones. I just assumed that in an SBR, the barrier blind soft point variants would be superior (e.g., 62 grain Fusion, GD, etc.).

Isn't the reason the military uses HP's in the MK18 due to the fact that they can't use the barrier blind soft points due to the Hague Convention. I haven't researched that, so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the recs on ammo. I was thinking about going with the MK 262 clones. I just assumed that in an SBR, the barrier blind soft point variants would be superior (e.g., 62 grain Fusion, GD, etc.).

Isn't the reason the military uses HP's in the MK18 due to the fact that they can't use the barrier blind soft points due to the Hague Convention. I haven't researched that, so take it with a grain of salt.
View Quote

SMKs aren't considered hollow points. The open tip is just a by product of how the jacket is formed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

SMKs aren't considered hollow points. The open tip is just a by product of how the jacket is formed.
View Quote

Gotcha. At any rate, my understanding was that the military uses MK 262 because SP's are restricted by Hague.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

M855A1 EPR Ball
Mk318 Barrier
Mk262 Match
M995 AP

These for bad guys.

CD
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

M855A1 EPR Ball
Mk318 Barrier
Mk262 Match
M995 AP

These for bad guys.

CD
View Quote

CD, are they loading these in separate mags and choosing them as needed?

Thanks for all the awesome info you always give!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:37:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#19]

View Quote

75gr Amax/TAP
77gr SMK
62gr Fusion MSR
62gr TBBC
62gr GDHP

Basically, all the best SD loads for regular ARs also are the best rounds on short ARs. I keep 62gr fusion for HD, I have a case of TBBC for boogaloo, and stacked very deep on cans of cheap 55gr M193 for SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Gotcha. At any rate, my understanding was that the military uses MK 262 because SP's are restricted by Hague.
View Quote

The U.S. never signed on to the ban on expanding ammunition. However, we adhere to it for the most part as our allies do. We will ignore it when we need to.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By frantz6:

CD, are they loading these in separate mags and choosing them as needed?

Thanks for all the awesome info you always give!
View Quote

My carry ammo loaded in following mags
30 rd Tan/Blue follower and FDE PMags get M855A1
20 rd USGI get Mk318
30 rd USGI Grey get Mk262
30 rd USGI Grey with Black electrical tape gets M995

CD

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

My carry ammo loaded in following mags
30 rd Tan/Blue follower and FDE PMags get M855A1
20 rd USGI get Mk318
30 rd USGI Grey get Mk262
30 rd USGI Grey with Black electrical tape gets M995

CD

View Quote

Forgive my ignorance but what is the situation that calls for such variety?  Does each load serve a different purpose (besides simply putting holes in bad guys)?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By blindrocket:

Forgive my ignorance but what is the situation that calls for such variety?  Does each load serve a different purpose (besides simply putting holes in bad guys)?
View Quote

Normally I carry either Mk262 or M855A1 as my to go ammo.  Mk262 is more accurate at longer ranges 200m-600m.  Which I normally carry is dependent on how much on hand.  M995 AP if I have a hard target.  Also carry one mag fully loaded with tracers for marking targets for the heavier weapons (30 rd USGI with either red/orange tape).  Only use M855 for range use as least effective.

CD
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#24]
My 556RC stamp got approved!

Sadly the gunshop/range that did the transfer closed down. No where to shoot this thing at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thanksforposting] [#25]
Very nice weather today. Rattle rattle

ETA: @Flyit14 Congrats! Start to finish, how long?

ETA: @allensaldi thanks for helping me get rid of my anderson upper. One step at a time.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#26]

https://i.imgur.com/59nN1uG.jpg

View Quote

Braces makes me sad
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thanksforposting] [#27]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Braces makes me sad
View Quote

Don't be sad kentucky. Last night I got an offer from the company I've been interviewing with since Feb. July 1 I'll be in a new state and form 1 will be submitted shortly thereafter. Very exciting development for my family and I. Edited spelling.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#28]

https://i.imgur.com/59nN1uG.jpg

View Quote

10 months or so. Gun shop owner said they were seeing faster stamp returns since they were closing. Not sure if that’s how it works but that’s what they said. Sucks because they had an awesome range too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Any great Facebook Groups that are clone related that have sales, topics, everything else?

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Theeperadam:
Any great Facebook Groups that are clone related that have sales, topics, everything else?

Cheers
View Quote

Not today Mr. ATF man .......
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dafro] [#32]
I finally got around to sighting in my mk18 that I have been compiling parts for over the past couple years. Ive been playing around with the buttons on my EXPS 3-0 and they are being a bit screwy. It's got me thinking maybe I have a counterfeit (I bought from ebay...).

When I hit the NV button, I have to press it twice to get an optic. The optic I get is fairly bright. I've never worked with NV or have another NV optic, but its brighter than I would have guessed. Pushing the NV button will get the optic to turn off, but i cannot use the arrows to get it back on without pressing both arrows to turn it "off". Additionally, when I turn it to max brightness and turn it off, it turns back on with the mid setting.

Any of this sound familiar? From what I've read, it should remember my setting. All this is leading me to think its fake. Eotechs website said a easy tell is a visible red LED. If I look at the back of the optic steep enough, it seems like I may see an LED.

What do your guys' look like?

Edit: I should add, I put about 200 rds through it and everything seemed fine. Anything else I should be looking for?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:28:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#33]
Originally Posted By dafro:
I finally got around to sighting in my mk18 that I have been compiling parts for over the past couple years. Ive been playing around with the buttons on my EXPS 3-0 and they are being a bit screwy. It's got me thinking maybe I have a counterfeit (I bought from ebay...).

When I hit the NV button, I have to press it twice to get an optic. The optic I get is fairly bright. I've never worked with NV or have another NV optic, but its brighter than I would have guessed. Pushing the NV button will get the optic to turn off, but i cannot use the arrows to get it back on without pressing both arrows to turn it "off". Additionally, when I turn it to max brightness and turn it off, it turns back on with the mid setting.

Any of this sound familiar? From what I've read, it should remember my setting. All this is leading me to think its fake. Eotechs website said a easy tell is a visible red LED. If I look at the back of the optic steep enough, it seems like I may see an LED.

What do your guys' look like?

https://i.imgur.com/1VkwZWu.jpg

Edit: I should add, I put about 200 rds through it and everything seemed fine. Anything else I should be looking for?
View Quote

I have seen fakes and none of them are that well done. Compared to a real eotech they are pretty easily identifiable.
You could email eotech with the serial # or call them. They will verify it.
Could be Eotech just sent you a bunk optic
If you feel, post some general pics of the optic. Side, front, back, etc. Should be able to tell off the bat if its fake unless there is some new secret optics factory in Shanghai pumping out 1:1 clones.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dafro] [#34]
@100roundclipazine

If I didn't buy it from ebay, I would be less nervous. The seller has like 165k transactions with 99.6% positive, so it seemed semisweet.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#35]
NV settings are like SUPER dim.

Go into a dark/dim room.  Power up with the square buttons.  Hit the NV button.  Even though it looks like it turned off hit the (+) brightness like 10X.

You should see a faint reticle in the dark room. In a dark room, I can generally only see the top 2 or 3 brightness settings.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#36]
@100roundclipazine

If I didn't buy it from ebay, I would be less nervous. The seller has like 165k transactions with 99.6% positive, so it seemed semisweet.

https://i.imgur.com/2N6FwQ5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TP2nUsm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QtNSqfn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RT4GauU.jpg
View Quote

Looks 100% legit to me.
And as the post above says. The NV setting is just lower than the lowest normal setting.

The way the NV button works on Eotechs is you press it once to go into NV mode and press it again to go to standard day mode.
It is designed that way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
NV settings are like SUPER dim.

Go into a dark/dim room.  Power up with the square buttons.  Hit the NV button.  Even though it looks like it turned off hit the (+) brightness like 10X.

You should see a faint reticle in the dark room. In a dark room, I can generally only see the top 2 or 3 brightness settings.
View Quote

I'm thinking I'm just an idiot now... I have to press it twice to get it "on" because the first press goes to NV which I couldn't see, but the second press returned it to normal which I could see.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

Looks 100% legit to me.
And as the post above says. The NV setting is just lower than the lowest normal setting.

The way the NV button works on Eotechs is you press it once to go into NV mode and press it again to go to standard day mode.
It is designed that way.
View Quote

That all is checking out now. Will yours return to the old setting? If I crank it all the way up and turn it off with the two buttons, it still turns on to the standard setting.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#39]

That all is checking out now. Will yours return to the old setting? If I crank it all the way up and turn it off with the two buttons, it still turns on to the standard setting.

Thanks for the help!
View Quote

The sight turns on at level 12 out of the 20 settings no matter what. I do not think the eotech line up has memory functions.
Only real feature is the 4 or 8hr auto shut down.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#40]

The sight turns on at level 12 out of the 20 settings no matter what. I do not think the eotech line up has memory functions.
Only real feature is the 4 or 8hr auto shut down.
View Quote

Mine prevents accidental activation by forcing me to change the batteries before turning it on... does that count as a feature, too?

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:

Mine prevents accidental activation by forcing me to change the batteries before turning it on... does that count as a feature, too?

View Quote

Sounds like its working as intended lol
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:54:38 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Go fuck yourself loser.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:49:08 AM EDT
[#43]
@100roundclipazine

https://i.imgur.com/2N6FwQ5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TP2nUsm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QtNSqfn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RT4GauU.jpg
View Quote

Definitely looks GTG.

Go fuck yourself loser.
View Quote

Goodness gracious, Mr. ATF man.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Cheers
View Quote

View Quote

Go fuck yourself loser.
View Quote

BoyThatEscalatedQuickly.jpg
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:31:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#45]

Go fuck yourself loser.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

You know I always thought this emote was a rabbit with a rice paddy hat, but I looked at the html tag and its a fucking pancake. A pancake on the rabbits head. What is the secret meaning? There must be some undisclosed arfcom dictionary.
I need answers
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#47]

You know I always thought this emote was a rabbit with a rice paddy hat, but I looked at the html tag and its a fucking pancake. A pancake on the rabbits head. What is the secret meaning? There must be some undisclosed arfcom dictionary.
I need answers
View All Quotes

I need answers

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:11:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGR1279] [#48]
I acquired a Vltor CASV-ELT.  What is it used on?  I think it might be off a Navy EOD Rifle which would make sense where I acquired it from.  I’ve looked and I haven’t seen any use of them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:
I acquired a Vltor CASV-ELT.  What is it used on?  I think it might be off a Navy EOD Rifle which would make sense where I acquired it from.  I’ve looked and I haven’t seen any use of them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17981/136495F1-A65C-4CE9-ADC5-3BE2D607232D_jpe-1442085.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17981/29FDB06C-7557-4FF4-A6A1-C2ACD51C5FF5_jpe-1442086.JPG
View Quote

Nice score! Super jelly.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1350 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top