Page / 39
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you need a triangular handguard cap for the 607 handguards?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You need the triangular front handguard cap.  The handguard price includes front and rear handguard caps (you just need to specify barrel diameter to get the correct triangular front cap) and right and left handguards.

The gas tube and FSB will need to be removed, followed by the round front handguard cap.  While the FSB is off, slip on the rear handguard cap. Replace the round front handguard cap with the triangular one provided in the kit, reassemble FSB and gas tube, install handguards, and you're good to go...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Originally Posted By ch139:
Not mine, but OURS… and headed for that rack in the sky.

Air Force GUU-5P

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/GUU-5P.03.JPG

Pic is saved to the Quib harddrive archive......so that some day, when the children ask about the GUU-5, the memories will not be lost.

Rest in peace little GUU-5, you served your country with honor.  

I don't understand why they don't sell the parts to civilians.  The military could make some extra cash for parts that are useless to them.  They already do this with M16s and M16A1s.  I've even seen surplus M4 uppers on Auction Arms.  Why not just sell the parts?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:

I don't understand why they don't sell the parts to civilians.  The military could make some extra cash for parts that are useless to them.  They already do this with M16s and M16A1s.  I've even seen surplus M4 uppers on Auction Arms.  Why not just sell the parts?

The US Government bought a licence from Colt's for the M16 series in 1967.  Part of the agreement is that the Government can not resell M16's or parts to the general public (not that it has not happened).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I lov ethis thread! I just built a new A1 upper and once I get a couple of more parts I'll show take pics for all you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's mine.......

PWA Lower, original Colt A0 upper, 1 in 12 twist, no FA, no deflector, chrome notchless carrier with solid firing pin retainer pin, 2nd gen 3-prong supressor, straight delta ring, Colt gray finish applied by Arizona Response Systems so all the originally anodized parts match.  It even has a round front sight post.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By selfishselfless:
Blanco_Diablo,

E-mail me with what you want. Tom's computer has been down for about a week. Total Silence Inc sells all of the above. Please let me know what you want and we will try and build it for you.

Hope this info helps.

Sammy

Just sent email with the question. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:14:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch139] [#12]

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Not mine, but OURS… and headed for that rack in the sky.

Air Force GUU-5P

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/GUU-5P.03.JPG

Pic is saved to the Quib harddrive archive......so that some day, when the children ask about the GUU-5, the memories will not be lost.

Rest in peace little GUU-5, you served your country with honor.  

When I got to shoot that rifle (and take the pics) I was not allowed to keep any of the brass that had hit the ground. The rangemaster was feeling my pain, he had wanted it too. He told me that it had to do with 9-11/terrorism and that the military wasn’t to let any of its stuff fall into civilian hands for fear that a terrorist might use it against them. We’re talking brass here. My guy at the base said there is a company that comes in and picks it all up as scrap. I imagine the same thing is happening to the rifles, they’re just being sent somewhere to accumulate and then be scrapped.

It is terrible; I really want to build a GUU-5P. starting out with one of those in a parts kit would save me a ton of time and having all kinds of spare parts kicking around that I’d probably never use. The plan is to go back on Monday and see if I can have another go with a GUU before they’re all gone. Maybe this time we can draw one with the M4 profile barrel.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Another GUU pic found floating around the net. This one appears to have an old lower.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stickman] [#15]
Same beast ,but a slightly different angle and with M4 handguards.....

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blanco_Diablo] [#16]

Originally Posted By uxb:
You need the triangular front handguard cap.  The handguard price includes front and rear handguard caps (you just need to specify barrel diameter to get the correct triangular front cap) and right and left handguards.

The gas tube and FSB will need to be removed, followed by the round front handguard cap.  While the FSB is off, slip on the rear handguard cap. Replace the round front handguard cap with the triangular one provided in the kit, reassemble FSB and gas tube, install handguards, and you're good to go...

www.fototime.com/2C3F2A4D55DCC10/standard.jpg

Is that yours? It shore is purty...where's the rest of it?

Originally Posted By selfishselfless:
Blanco_Diablo,

E-mail me with what you want. Tom's computer has been down for about a week. Total Silence Inc sells all of the above. Please let me know what you want and we will try and build it for you.

Hope this info helps.

Sammy

Your email doesn't accept messages sent through this site does it...?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote from Blanco_Diablo:

Thanks for the compliment.  Yes, it's mine.  The entire thing can be seen on the eighth post of page two of this thread.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quote from Blanco_Diablo:

Thanks for the compliment.  Yes, it's mine.  The entire thing can be seen on the eighth post of page two of this thread.  

HA! Sorry...my head's somewhere else today. Lol very very nice rifle...

Yahoo doesn't take emails from ARFCOM does it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Stickman,

Nice pics as always.  You got a window with a southern exposure or something for that nice lighting???  

FWIW, the skinny carbine handguards look better than the M4 handguards, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
selfishselfless, I sent you another email. The last one I sent through this site and I think Yahoo blocks those.

Anyways, how bout some more pics??
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch139] [#21]
So, where can one find a lower like this? Looks like there’s no reinforcing around buffer tube and there is no fence around the magazine release button, but there is a tube for the spring and detent for the front push pin.

Can we just have the magazine fence milled off an A2 lower?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe that's what's called an XM16E1 lower that has just the detent hole and no mag fence....I might be totally wrong though...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Stickman,

Nice pics as always.  You got a window with a southern exposure or something for that nice lighting???  

FWIW, the skinny carbine handguards look better than the M4 handguards, but that's just my opinion.

I agree, the thin seems to look better or at least more traditional.  Believe it or not, it was shot in a garage using ambient light controled via the garage door.  Its east facing, and was shot on an overcast day.  I think the lighting was just about perfect for that series.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The concrete is a good neutral background as well. That helps a lot when taking pictures.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Stickman & JohnRippert,

Both of your A1 builds look AWESOME!  Can I ask either or both of you a couple questions / advice?

I want to assemble an A1 that I hope comes out close to as nice as both of yours.  Here's the plan so far...  a CDNN Colt A1 upper (I've heard nothing but good things), I have an SP1 carrier laying around (I will use a new bolt), and I have a near mint Coal Valley EA lower that is a medium gray (much lighter than any of my uppers) that I think will match nicely with the A1 upper.

Here are my questions; what did you use for a charging handle?  Most new ones are BLACK and will not match... did you strip a new one and refinish it or find an older one?  For that matter, are there older styled, more appropriate charging handles or have they not really changed in the past 30+ years?

How about accessories?  What would be an appropriate sling or bayonet?

Thanks for any info.  This picture thread is great but lacks a little in the detail department!

Scot
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By gus:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=35767

Damnit! Your making me want a slab side!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By gus:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=35767

Damnit! Your making me want a slab side!

They sure are cool lookin...just wish I had a slabside lower to go with my upper...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MauserMark] [#29]
Picked it up today at the Fun show from another private seller walking around.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Couch-Commando] [#30]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
Picked it up today at the Fun show from another private seller walking around.  $600 cash

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/newSP1_1.jpg

WTF?  ALL OF THE SP1s I SEE ARE OVER 1000! lucky guy.  Wish I was that lucky...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#31]
Keep alive bump.

And to note that I now hate MauserMark.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Another GUU pic found floating around the net. This one appears to have an old lower.

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_usaf_secu.jpg

That's a GAU-5/P not a GUU-5/P.  The GAU-5/P was a rebarrel of previous GAU-5/A carbines with a 14.5" A1 barrel, while the GUU-5/Ps have either an M4 profile 14.5" barrel or a complete flat top M4 upper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
Picked it up today at the Fun show from another private seller walking around.  $600 cash

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/newSP1_1.jpg

WTF?  ALL OF THE SP1s I SEE ARE OVER 1000! lucky guy.  Wish I was that lucky...

It's kinda beat up on the other side of the carry handle, and there is a fine layer of rust along the barrel and in the flash-hider.  The seller said he had stored it away for about a decade, but had caked the inside in grease, it was and very thick, which was good.  After washing it all out the inside was in excellent condition.  But the outside is just very worn looking, guess that's why he asked $600 for it.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
come on guys, you can do better than this...  MORE MROE MORE MORE MORE!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:00:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH] [#35]
Hey guys,

I am playing with an SP1 upper on an old 80% lower I built, it had broken off at the rear before and has since been rebuilt so if I really screw it up there is no big loss. Having said that, this is what I propose;

I dont have a mill so this will be a WECSOG adventure deluxe[ I plan on turning this lower into a pseudo slab side by removing the mag fence, etc. Should I go all the way and remove the upper fence for the total slab side look? I am already using a pivot pin with a ball detent so would not need the chase for the retainer plunger and spring. I thought of roughing it in with a dremel and then draw filing and sanding with a solid block till everything was smooth and even, if I get really serious I might even try to remove the A2 upgrades on the buffer tube ring but probably wont as being cast it is weak enough already

Let me here your thoughts!

ETA: does anyone have any extra paint kicking around that will match the gray SP1 upper I have?

Thanks

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Can't let this thread fade into third page....

http://usera.imagecave.com/Hunterex/ColtSixteen2.jpg

Colt 6520 Lower (I know, I know...)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Click Here if you would like to get those 3-prong flash hiders on your rifle and don't have the proper tool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#38]
from being the best picture ffor the thread but I found it in my email so I thought I'd post it up.

Guide your eyes to the far left please
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bumblebee_Bob] [#39]
Is this "retro" enough for you?

I'm not sure if this will work. Photobucket uploaded the image but I couldn't get it, or any of my other pics,  to display.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag for the AM and sunlight to take pictures. Finally got the correct upper on my little beastie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Beefypeanut:
Click Here if you would like to get those 3-prong flash hiders on your rifle and don't have the proper tool.

Thanks. Is anyone making or selling the 3-prong flash hiders?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:59:27 AM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: selfishselfless] [#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Oops, thats not retro, thats just old.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By Stickman:
img97.imageshack.us/img97/7913/greengunandfirends0266ke.jpg

Got any more pictures of that 601?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Shal1:

I took a new charging handle that I bought with the B/C assembly and sent it along with the lower and some of the parts from the LPK to Norrels and had them refinish them in Colt gray/black. I am not sure about proper slings or bayonets. I like M1/M1A slings so I put one of those on it and I do not worry about bayonets unless they are permanently attached like my M44 or SK.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Next we should talk about what slings are appropriate for these retro clones........
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blanco_Diablo] [#48]

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
Is this "retro" enough for you?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/trifecta.jpg

I'm not sure if this will work. Photobucket uploaded the image but I couldn't get it, or any of my other pics,  to display.

VERY nice! Vector AK?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Next we should talk about what slings are appropriate for these retro clones........

Yeah, there are two I am trying to get.  One is the early 60's Colt's factory sling.  It is similar to the USGI Green web sling, but is missing a buckle.  There is also the green nylon one that was USGI in the late 1960's for use in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By Ekie:

Originally Posted By Stickman:
img97.imageshack.us/img97/7913/greengunandfirends0266ke.jpg

Got any more pictures of that 601?

Yes.
Page / 39
Retro Picture Thread #2! (Page 2 of 39)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top