Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2023 9:07:01 AM EDT
I have a 6920 upper with a pinned low profile gas block and the barrel nut on it is a standard style.

Is there anyone left making decent free float rails for standard nuts? Mlok or keymod preferably. But I'd consider quad I'd it was nice enough.

All I saw was fortis and Troy and I wasn't into those.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Centurion would be my choice within those parameters.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Fortis RevII
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d16man:
Samson used to make rails that use the standard barrel nut but have no idea of their current offerings.
View Quote

Looks like they do. Waiting on a quote from adco to see if removing and swapping the barrel nut would be reasonable. If not I think I'm going with the Samson.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:15:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#5]
Midwest Industries in addition to who has been mentioned already. They have quad and Mlok

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I would add some magpul handguards and then build a DMR upper with a nicer barrel

then build a nice lower and have 2 guns
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:07:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
I would add some magpul handguards and then build a DMR upper with a nicer barrel

then build a nice lower and have 2 guns
View Quote

It already has a low pro gas block and no delta ring or end cap. Just the nut. Colt started selling their uppers like this for builders. No two piece handguards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#8]
Driving out the taper pins from the low pro to pull the delta ring assembly and slide on a ff rail nut is a pretty simple operation

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Should-I-install-a-free-float-handguard-on-a-Colt-6920-myself-/12-735047/
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Midwest Industries in addition to who has been mentioned already. They have quad and Mlok

https://i.postimg.cc/QC2wjWKR/IMG-0699.jpg
View Quote

So the two piece free floats from midwest should fit over a low pro gasblock?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

View Quote

Yes. They are all designed to fit over a LPGB.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:

https://i.postimg.cc/QC2wjWKR/IMG-0699.jpg

Yes, that's actually a shaved front sight post like what your Colt upper has already.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Centurion would be my choice within those parameters.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Midwest industries and centurion also have rails with cut outs if you want to keep your front sight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
Midwest industries and centurion also have rails with cut outs if you want to keep your front sight.
View Quote

The OP is asking about the OEM2, which doesn’t have a front sight. The OEM1 has the sight.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 3:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rauchman] [#16]
I have both the MI 2pc MLOK midlength and Centurion C4 Midlength Picatinny.  Both are excellent at what they do.  Install is very simple.  

Both brands make both MLOK and Picatinny 2pc rails for use with a standard mil spec AR barrel nut, as well as extended versions for carbine gas with FSB.  Both MI and Centurion also make a 12" Picatinny version, that if you're not using the FSB, would work well.

The beauty about both of these rails is that they do not require the FSB be removed.  Very simple install, and both lock up well around the barrel nut.

Troy makes the 1 pc Alpha rail, which uses the stock AR barrel nut, however, the FSB has to be removed for the rail to slide over the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:15:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: on1tyr] [#17]
I have a Samson Evolution 10" that's been in my toolbox for a while after I shortened my 9mm build.  Pulled it out to mock up with a 10.3" barrel the other day.  This uses the standard barrel nut.  The one I have has what looks to be proprietary rail sections you can add to it.  It's defiantly not mlock or keymod.  I think I picked up the Samson branded stubby VFG from the EE here.  Unfortunately for me, I can't fit a Warcomp on the end and still attach the RC2.  I'm thinking about using it, again, with a 9mm build.  I still have the old 7 or 7.5" 9mm barrel as well as a BA 8.3" 9mm barrel.  This time around, I'd go with a 3-lug mount rather than fighting with the direct thread mount getting stuck under the handguard.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By on1tyr:
I have a Samson Evolution 10" that's been in my toolbox for a while after I shortened my 9mm build.  Pulled it out to mock up with a 10.3" barrel the other day.  This uses the standard barrel nut.  The one I have has what looks to be proprietary rail sections you can add to it.  It's defiantly not mlock or keymod.  I think I picked up the Samson branded stubby VFG from the EE here.  Unfortunately for me, I can't fit a Warcomp on the end and still attach the RC2.  I'm thinking about using it, again, with a 9mm build.  I still have the old 7 or 7.5" 9mm barrel as well as a BA 8.3" 9mm barrel.  This time around, I'd go with a 3-lug mount rather than fighting with the direct thread mount getting stuck under the handguard.
View Quote

Samson does have an Evolution Keymod handguard that uses a standard barrel nut.  I built this 9mm blowback SBR almost 10 years ago.  The ID of the rail was big enough to accommodate an AAC TiRant 9 suppressor comfortably.  This SBR is a very reliable soft shooter but is a heavy pig.  The rail pictured below is the Samson Evolution Keymod 7.6 rail.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Centurion C4 master race checking in
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the MI.

Solid rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Linc5870:

Samson does have an Evolution Keymod handguard that uses a standard barrel nut.  I built this 9mm blowback SBR almost 10 years ago.  The ID of the rail was big enough to accommodate an AAC TiRant 9 suppressor comfortably.  This SBR is a very reliable soft shooter but is a heavy pig.  The rail pictured below is the Samson Evolution Keymod 7.6 rail.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415329/CLT9mm_updated_jpg-3092500.JPG
View Quote

Nice.  I did my original 9mm build with a 7.5" barrel and a Gemtech Multimount which fit inside the Samson.  I didn't have a 3-lug at the time and got tired of the direct thread mount when I wanted to use it elsewhere.  Next time around I'll use a 3-lug!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top