BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/7/2017 3:29:32 PM EDT
Was in PA a couple of days ago.  Picked up one of their new micro red dots.   It is very well built, and has a 50k hr. battery life.  Also has very little blueish tint or magnification.

I own PRO's, I own T1's, so I'm not just a cheap bastard.  But I'll tell you, this is a real sight from everything I can see.  
With the advancement in the electronics, I wonder how long before guys like this with deep pockets and good RD relationships, come up with a comparable sight to what we've all deemed to be the best?

I think this is a very close runner in second place.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody needs to make a T1 level durability sight with pricing closer to the PRO and with a warranty that inspires confidence.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody needs to make a T1 level durability sight with pricing closer to the PRO and with a warranty that inspires confidence.
View Quote
They did, and you're in the thread with it.

I also got the newest one and it's rock solid. I still have gen1 and gen2 PA micros and they're all bulletproof.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Primary seems to be a stand up outfit, I’ve had nothing but great experiences to share. I don’t have any of their optics but they’re on my short list. Researching this stuff too much can make a fella go cross eyed. Glad your sight is as good as you expected it to be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one of the "SD" models (screwed up the holes on it so it will only fit the 2 mounts that came with it) a couple of weeks ago for $70.  I've only inspected it for a few minutes, but it looks to be quality.  The 50k hour battery life ones have been well reviewed from what I can tell.  Does anyone know if there has been more than one generation of the 50k hour micro from them?  Also, are these just re-branded Holosun or uniquely Primary Arms?

In any event, I also picked up one of the older micros from them that had a similar goof-up with the mount I believe.  The battery life is nowhere near the same, but it still works fine.  The "made in China" sticker is a little off-putting, but most things seem to be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a pic through the glass so we can see the level of blue tint.  Please?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How about a pic through the glass so we can see the level of blue tint.  Please?
View Quote
Pm me your email, plz.  I have/had Photobucket.   Seems to be a problem these days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
To answer a few questions.  No, I seriously doubt this a rebranded holosun.

I think this is the first gen 50k hr model.   I think it's pretty new.

This is also the first PA sight I have bought. The others didn't do it for me.  I'm gonna go shoot it Saturday. We'll see.

I just built a beater IDGAF gun, and put this on it.  I'm looking forward to running it hard.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
What makes you think it’s not a Holosun? I just bought a holosun and noticed the features and exterior looked really similar?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Which holosun model?

The PA ADM looks similar but this new one doesn't look like any of their models
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
They seem solid, but buying a T2 for various rifles doesn’t hurt me. Given the lifetime of the optic and rifle, 150.00 vs 800.00 isn’t a huge deal. That said, the advancement of budget optics is amazing
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What makes you think it’s not a Holosun? I just bought a holosun and noticed the features and exterior looked really similar?
View Quote
I say that because the emitter and controls are not similar.
I could be wrong, who knows.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They seem solid, but buying a T2 for various rifles doesn’t hurt me. Given the lifetime of the optic and rifle, 150.00 vs 800.00 isn’t a huge deal. That said, the advancement of budget optics is amazing
View Quote
I own 6 aimpoints of flavors.   4K in optics isn’t a deal breaker for me.

I agree completely with what you said about advancements.  I feel like this is the best $150 you could spend on an optic.  A “whatever/however” warranty doesn’t hurt either, especially seeing they’re local.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I also got the newest one and it's rock solid. I still have gen1 and gen2 PA micros and they're all bulletproof.
View Quote
disagree. I'd have more faith in a product manufactured somewhere better than China. When I had the PA MDADS there was too much tint for me and the poor quality class reflected light from behind me onto the lenses very poorly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

disagree. I'd have more faith in a product manufactured somewhere better than China. When I had the PA MDADS there was too much tint for me and the poor quality class reflected light from behind me onto the lenses very poorly.
View Quote
Hundreds (thousands?) of hours of use > faith.

Not sure about the tint, I've never had any issues. Reflection issues aren't a glass quality issue.

I'm not doubting you or your experience at all. I'm just saying that the common complaints are "glass" and "china", which I understand (but have not observed), but I've shot these things in every conceivable scenario from live fire shoot houses to DMR scenarios out to 525m, and I've never had any glass or random Chinese problems.

Shit man, some of the PA glass is better than some of the Leopold glass I've used. Then again, Leopold is going to shit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Mike.

I really like my "Oops special" RDS that I picked up for the Black Friday sale. (it was really a shame you could get only one per household)....

I hear what you are saying about the Chinese stepping up their game in the quality of their products.   The Globalized Economy has made it to innovate (or adapt others innovations) or die...

Of course, if Washington wanted to, they could curtail the export of jobs from America, by curtailing the importation of items from China, Mexico, Philippines and Bangladesh to name a few countries, ...

But Americans are addicted to Junk Purchasing all of that "Cheaper Stuff", even if like "Junk Food" it is not good for us in the long run...  Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight, ect ...

I do admire the way that Primary Arms has grown (I remember when Marshall himself would bring various new products for the Houston Home Town Forum folks to check out at the monthly hang out meetings...

Congratulations on the move to the bigger newer complex...

I will say that I have ALWAYS had FIRST CLASS Customer Service at Primary Arms for Every Puchase, Every Problem and they really do all possible to make it great experience for the customers.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
@PA_Mike

Which PA, Holosun, or PA/Holosun Micro dot (T1 size) would you recommend?

I'm thinking about putting one on a 45offset on my recce and one (carry handle rail mount) on my A2 upper.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BiggerHammer:

Officially, I cannot and will not make a political statement of any kind on behalf of Primary Arms. I will make the statement that we have been looking HARD at how to make a red dot sight here in the USA for some time now, and the obstacles are daunting indeed.

Speaking only as an individual person, I think it would be much easier for things to be made here if the government didn't suck away a third of our income before we ever saw it. If family health insurance didn't cost half of what people bring home each month. If government didn't preemptively choke the life out of every new business venture. If half the voters in this country didn't see businesses as the capitalist enemy.

Raising a tariff on imported goods is like putting a Spider-Man bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Mostly it's theater so you feel like you "did something", but it doesn't address the root problems at all, and it doesn't change the long term outcome even a little.

Infidel4Life:

We just sold out of them but the MD-RB-AD is a big step up from our previous microdots. It's more of a step up than we can easily describe in a glib little product description on our website. We have more on the way and I'll be buying more for my own use when they get here.
View Quote
That’s a pretty big statement Mike. (Not trying to taunt you, more exciting than anything)I have the second gen dot, the holoson 503c and the ACSS version and they are all beyond great.

The new dot is really that much better?!
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, it really is. Some of the changes that I can talk about but aren't necessarily in the product description:

1. Fully potted emitter. Way better for shockproofing, the emitter and all associated electronics are encased in an epoxy which absorbs g forces that would have been transferred to those pieces before.

2. Fully supported erector assembly. In the past the erector assembly went into the optic from the rear and was sort of glued into place at the front. MD-RB-AD has a cut out section at the front where front of the erector goes (think of an eyeball going into a socket), and the same torque ring that torques down the objective lens also torques down the front of the erector (now imagine a second eye socket going around the FRONT of the eye and holding everything together with a good amount of torque).

3. Improved waterproofing. For example, the turret caps are aluminum now instead of plastic in the MD-ADS. You can flip them over and use them to adjust windage and elevation. They screw all the way down to metal-to-metal contact with the scope body, with the waterproofing O-ring inside, instead of screwing down on top of the O-ring and relying on compression of the O-ring by a plastic piece to keep water out. A small detail, but one of many.

4. Stainless steel adjustment internals. No more brass guts inside to get rounded off over time and turn your clicks into mush. A lot of people have noted that the clicks on on this scope feel better, but they don't really know why. Should be WAY better in the long term.
View Quote
Please tell me there is a circle dot or ACSS version. I can use regular dots anymore.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The new dot is really that much better?!
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Please tell me there is a circle dot or ACSS version. I can use regular dots anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, it really is. Some of the changes that I can talk about but aren't necessarily in the product description:

1. Fully potted emitter. Way better for shockproofing, the emitter and all associated electronics are encased in an epoxy which absorbs g forces that would have been transferred to those pieces before.

2. Fully supported erector assembly. In the past the erector assembly went into the optic from the rear and was sort of glued into place at the front. MD-RB-AD has a cut out section at the front where front of the erector goes (think of an eyeball going into a socket), and the same torque ring that torques down the objective lens also torques down the front of the erector (now imagine a second eye socket going around the FRONT of the eye and holding everything together with a good amount of torque).

3. Improved waterproofing. For example, the turret caps are aluminum now instead of plastic in the MD-ADS. You can flip them over and use them to adjust windage and elevation. They screw all the way down to metal-to-metal contact with the scope body, with the waterproofing O-ring inside, instead of screwing down on top of the O-ring and relying on compression of the O-ring by a plastic piece to keep water out. A small detail, but one of many.

4. Stainless steel adjustment internals. No more brass guts inside to get rounded off over time and turn your clicks into mush. A lot of people have noted that the clicks on on this scope feel better, but they don't really know why. Should be WAY better in the long term.
YES PLEASE
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#28]
This needs to be made with the ACSS reticle!  I know you said it wasn't your department in another thread but whoevers department it is please hear us!  We want the ACSS!

For me the ACSS dot was a huge game changer because it made the variable 1-6 obsolete since I could have true 1x power and then flip a 6x magnifier over for 6x with bullet drops if I needed it.  And I also have the ability to take the magnifier off with a QD mount, and it is usually not even on the rifle unless I plan on shooting longer range or for groups.  The regular dot just doesn't work for me with 6x magnification.

I also wish you could say who made these optics for you, I really like to know what I am buying.  But from what you have said it seems like it is a huge step up from your more expensive Holosun dot which means there isn't much reason to buy the older MD-ADS anymore when this one is a bit cheaper and better.  I will likely pick up a couple to try out here soon but if they had the ACSS then I would likely end up with quite a number of these.

I remember reading awhile back that the diodes weren't as good in the Holosun red dots as an Aimpoint and that if left on for years they would likely burn out much quicker then an Aimpoint would since it had a lifespan of so many hours, would this dot be better in that department or do you know?  I know some people have left their MD-ADS on for years without issue but it still makes me wonder how long will they last if left on all the time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
When PA released their first 4x compact scope, there were a few of us following the thread, and Marshall rewarded us who subscribed with a discount code for the optic. Since then I have owned many PA products and had no issues. Good to see your growth PA. Can't wait to grab one of the new dots.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This needs to be made with the ACSS reticle!  I know you said it wasn't your department in another thread but whoevers department it is please hear us!  We want the ACSS!

For me the ACSS dot was a huge game changer because it made the variable 1-6 obsolete since I could have true 1x power and then flip a 6x magnifier over for 6x with bullet drops if I needed it.  And I also have the ability to take the magnifier off with a QD mount, and it is usually not even on the rifle unless I plan on shooting longer range or for groups.  The regular dot just doesn't work for me with 6x magnification.

I also wish you could say who made these optics for you, I really like to know what I am buying.  But from what you have said it seems like it is a huge step up from your more expensive Holosun dot which means there isn't much reason to buy the older MD-ADS anymore when this one is a bit cheaper and better.  I will likely pick up a couple to try out here soon but if they had the ACSS then I would likely end up with quite a number of these.

I remember reading awhile back that the diodes weren't as good in the Holosun red dots as an Aimpoint and that if left on for years they would likely burn out much quicker then an Aimpoint would since it had a lifespan of so many hours, would this dot be better in that department or do you know?  I know some people have left their MD-ADS on for years without issue but it still makes me wonder how long will they last if left on all the time.  
View Quote
This!  ACSS with 6x magnifier has made 1-6 scopes obsolete imo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This!  ACSS with 6x magnifier has made 1-6 scopes obsolete imo.
View Quote
I just wonder why more people haven't mentioned this, after trying it out I just can't think of a good reason to buy a 1-6.  I think a big part of it is because it is a cheaper Holosun optic that many don't trust like they do their more expensive optics.  And I know the Holosuns are a lot more likely to have issues out of the box then some of the higher dollar options but I would still put the reliability of a tested Holosun red dot over a more expensive variable as I have said in the past.  They just don't have as many moving parts to break or shift.

If Primary Arms could set up a U.S. made red dot that could compete quality wise with Aimpoint for a lower price with something like the ACSS reticle I think they would see a lot more people showing interest.  I know it's reaching far but perhaps even military contracts since it just makes sense for combat troops to use a ACSS dot and magnifier all on QD mounts.  That gives the trooper the option to use 1x as he is used to or flip the magnifier over for a 6x optic for shooting out to 600+ yards, and with the reliability of a red dot.  I still think there is a pretty good future for this and I can't wait for it to become more popular so more options show up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought one a couple months back for my wife's carbine and still have not gotten to the range to put it on and sight it in.  Even took it home twice and still had stuff come up that kept me from the "range up above the garden."  Sooner or later.

If she's happy with it I'll probably buy another one for one of the AR15 pistols and get rid of that other sight that eats batteries.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm looking to getting a PA Micro.. Although whatever model I decide to get, it will be the one with the  mechanical rotary switch.

I'm not a big fan of electronic switches.

That's what the EOTech has and will always drain batteries by design.

Also, if you noticed, anything designed for hard use or to be rugged ( night vision as one example) uses a mechanical switch.

I do have a question?

Does the PA Micro offerings accept a ARD ( kill flash)?
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very nice!  I'm even more glad I got in on the "Special Purchase" model for Black Friday.  And I know you aren't here to disparage another company, but also as an owner of a PRO and H1 I'm kind of wondering at this point what justifies the much higher cost of those?

And for those that mentioned the ACSS reticle, is there a red dot with an ACSS (I know there is a TA44 with it)?  I recently picked up regular TA44 and it seems an ACSS reticle would be extremely busy (reticle is small on a TA44).  I have an astigmatism so much prefer the ACOG reticle as it doesn't bloom.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just wonder why more people haven't mentioned this, after trying it out I just can't think of a good reason to buy a 1-6.  I think a big part of it is because it is a cheaper Holosun optic that many don't trust like they do their more expensive optics.  And I know the Holosuns are a lot more likely to have issues out of the box then some of the higher dollar options but I would still put the reliability of a tested Holosun red dot over a more expensive variable as I have said in the past.  They just don't have as many moving parts to break or shift.

If Primary Arms could set up a U.S. made red dot that could compete quality wise with Aimpoint for a lower price with something like the ACSS reticle I think they would see a lot more people showing interest.  I know it's reaching far but perhaps even military contracts since it just makes sense for combat troops to use a ACSS dot and magnifier all on QD mounts.  That gives the trooper the option to use 1x as he is used to or flip the magnifier over for a 6x optic for shooting out to 600+ yards, and with the reliability of a red dot.  I still think there is a pretty good future for this and I can't wait for it to become more popular so more options show up.
View Quote
Well for one I think people don’t generally think of a 6x magnifier as a potential solution.

And I’m with you. I think there is a higher chance of getting a dud out of the box with non Aimpoint dots, but if you do get a good unit it’s 90% of what the high dollar units are as far as reliability.

All one has to do Is look at the multitudes of youtube torture videos. AKOU did a torture test to the pa advanced dot (second gen) and it was similar to the DD T1 torture test and the pa passed.

I understand why guys used to hold the “made in China = junk” attitude but as technology gets better and cheaper it’s working it’s way into the “cheaper” products. Especially when you have companies like PA designing and pushing for high durability at a reasonable price.

As much as i love Aimpoint they are starting to look like Surefire. They need to make a product with a circle dot type of reticle.

As far as the military.....I’m not saying these are Aimpoint quality but I’ve seen plenty of holosuns on fighting AK’s OCONUS. I doubt I’d see as many if they were total garbage that failed all of the time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the idea of a red dot + magnifier setup eclipsing an illuminated 1-6x ignores some of the inherent weaknesses of a red dot + magnifier setup.

First, you don't have the ability to use any of the in between magnifications like 2x or 3x. These can be very useful for targets in the 75-150 yard range where you could use some magnification but don't want to take the FOV hit with a 6X.

Second, if you've ever used a red dot + magnifier setup in the rain, you know it kinda sucks because you have 4 panes of glass where rain drops can accumulate and block your view.

Third, you need to ensure that your red dot and mount align as close as possible vertically and horizontally.  If you don't, you will be introducing some parallax issues.

Lastly, just simply due to the geometry, the eye relief on a magnifier is always going to be shorter than a rifle scope.

Having said that, if you already have a red dot, adding a magnifier greatly increases its capabilities for not much more cost.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Superset, all very valid points you brought up.

I never/rarely use magnification in-between the lowest setting and highest setting.  While I can see the appeal of it, if it's within 100 yards then I don't need the magnifier.  If it's past 100 yards then I'd rather have 6x then 3x but the extra FOV would be nice.

Having rain get between the glass is something I haven't thought of myself as I don't go shooting in the rain but makes perfect sense.  My magnifiers set so close to the dot there isn't much space between them.. if I was in a situation where I needed to use the magnifier in the rain I would likely rig up something to put between the 2 of them to eliminate that issue.  I doubt it would be a very hard fix, especially if you didn't care how it looked.

Eye relief is another thing, the magnifiers eye relief doesn't bother me as I shoot pretty close up but for someone that likes their heads back further it would be an issue.  All this said, the benefits far outweigh the negatives for me over a variable.  But since the magnification maxes out around 6x I am still looking at picking up one of PA's 1-8 scopes for a 6.8 hunting rifle I plan to build so I can have 8x magnification on the high end for longer ranges and still have 1x on the bottom in the rare case it is ever used for defense as well.

FullAutoHound, while I don't mind putting a Holosun on a fighting rifle of mine I know the military never would.  But when I said that earlier it was worded to say if PA ever made their own U.S. made optics which would be of likely higher quality then the current ones.  I would love to see PA make an optic as reliable as Aimpoint for a cheaper price.  Heck even if they were the same price I would still buy them over Aimpoint for the options if they had the same reliability.  The ACSS dot is what has sold me the most.  I just recently seen Sig Romeo4 has a new drop reticle out for the red dot as well but it doesn't look as nice as the ACSS.

The reason I don't mind using the Holosun on a defensive rifle is because of back up iron sights.  Everyone should have some if they have optics and plan on using the rifle for defense.  And since I feel just as comfortable shooting iron sights as a red dot I wouldn't feel like the world has ended if the red dot magically dies during a firefight that will likely never happen.  And if it does, then that is some very shitty luck for it to die those few minutes after owning it for years.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh hai guys, what's going on in here?

Got a couple of things I want to add, maybe clear up a couple of things. I'm posting this as an employee of PA so you bet I'm super biased here. But I also own and use these products myself, regularly, so I'm not just some schmuck who never shoots and is just going by a spec sheet on his desk. I'm a schmuck who shoots every week!

Ok, so the first thing I want to clear up is, MD-RB-AD is not made by Holosun. And I know where they are made, and we won't say. We have to try to stay a step ahead of the competition here. It is well known that MD-ADS is made by Holosun and we are not discontinuing that optic, it's a quality optic and it's given great service to tons of users including me, so our relationship with Holosun remains quite good. We also offer our co-branded model which is the ACSS reticle in a Holosun micro dot, and that thing is super cool.

Secondly, for the folks who don't want to buy anything with "Made in China" on the side, I get that, I really do, and we have dreams to build optics here in the USA one day. However, if you think your favorite scope company makes their scopes in the USA, I encourage you to do some deep research on that. You simply cannot get glass that is made here. Other companies import entire assemblies from overseas, then put the turrets on here in the states, install the illumination battery, nitrogen purge the unit, and put "Made in the USA" on their website because to their interpretation of the regulations there's no distinction between Made in the USA and Assembled in the USA.

Side note, if any of you are billionaire entrepreneurs, please get the EPA to allow you to start a high quality optical glass factory here in the states. Please.

Thirdly, if you haven't looked through a Chinese made scope in a few years and you just swore them off as cheap crap back in 2012 or something, give them another look. Glass quality is way better than it was even five years ago, and we have the iPhone to thank for that. Remember how ten years ago there was a huge market for small point and shoot digital cameras? Each one with an annoyingly slightly different battery and memory stick and nothing standardized? Cell phone cameras got so good that everyone stopped buying those little digital cameras and just started using their phones instead. The companies that were making the glass to go into those cameras had to adapt or die when the small camera market vanished overnight, and some of them converted over for binoculars, laser range finders, rifle scopes, red dots, etc. If you look though a Chinese scope from ten years ago you're looking through lowest-bidder glass made on ancient machines. If you look through a Chinese scope from last month, you're looking through glass made on newer machines that were designed to hold the calibrations of camera glass. It's a huge difference.

The long term implications of globalization are fascinating and terrifying. A 5 axis CNC machine doesn't care if it's plugged into a wall in Hartford Connecticut by a union employee paying 36% of his income in taxes, or plugged into a wall in Xi'an, China (one of the most polluted places on earth, do a google image search). The CNC machine will perform the exact same operations when you flip the switch to "on" and hit Enter on the keyboard. Once you realize what that truly means, it'll keep you awake at night.
View Quote
good post
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been rocking PA optics since the gen1 RDS and 1-6x.
Have several iterations of each now.
I picked up one of the BF $69 dots and absolutely love it.
Stand outs for me were the dot crispness and positive turrets. Super precise positive clicks.
I tried to get a couple snaps of the glass. Sorry, shitty pics looking through my patio glass door onto my shower curtain lined patio.
I'll try to get a couple better ones later today, looking out cleanly into the trees.
Tint is minimal.

ETA: I probably shouldn't have aimed it the blue pattern on my snowboard bench.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think the idea of a red dot + magnifier setup eclipsing an illuminated 1-6x ignores some of the inherent weaknesses of a red dot + magnifier setup.

First, you don't have the ability to use any of the in between magnifications like 2x or 3x. These can be very useful for targets in the 75-150 yard range where you could use some magnification but don't want to take the FOV hit with a 6X.

Second, if you've ever used a red dot + magnifier setup in the rain, you know it kinda sucks because you have 4 panes of glass where rain drops can accumulate and block your view.

Third, you need to ensure that your red dot and mount align as close as possible vertically and horizontally.  If you don't, you will be introducing some parallax issues.

Lastly, just simply due to the geometry, the eye relief on a magnifier is always going to be shorter than a rifle scope.

Having said that, if you already have a red dot, adding a magnifier greatly increases its capabilities for not much more cost.
View Quote
Those are all valid points. But for me they are outweighed by what I see as positives. As wolverine pointed out, I don’t use any of the in between settings. As far as rain, if forced to, I’d electrical tape it. Not ideal, I know.

Keep in mind I have a PA 1-6 that I’m not selling for a red dot mag set up.  Eventually I’ll sell it to fund a PA platinum.

I do like LPV’s. Just for me personally, with the distances I shoot at, a red dot with the added capability to reach out is better than a really good capability to reach out added with an option to do CQB.

If i transition from my urban type area to a more open AO I most certainly would favor the LPV. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I took a couple more pics through my $69 BF dot. It was the one with the blem mount.
This one...... http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-special-order-advanced-microdot-md-rb-ad-sp

If only it came in a circle dot and an ACSS version!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice pics, that’s what I noticed to the first time, way less blue tint then an older pa m2 clone that I had. And also a better/smaller dot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I just found "THIS" on Primary Arm's Website.....

MD-RB-AD Sale

One per household......It's a "BLEM", read the description....But I think I can live with it...

AR15.com costs me money, yet again!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

MD-RB-AD Sale

One per household......It's a "BLEM", read the description....But I think I can live with it...

View Quote
Got me this time
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m in. Missed the boat the first time.
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks. Grabbed one too. I called PA and apparently the riser mount is 1/3 co-witness. I prefer absolute but I'll live with it for that price.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

MD-RB-AD Sale

View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My PA microdot (gen 1, I think) got SLAMMED by a heavy steel door, hard enough that it dented the door.    It was so hard that people who saw it got that look on their face like "Ah, that sight is done for."

When I took it over and shot it, the POA was wildly off.  I gave the adjustment knobs one click then clicked them back, and POA was right where it should have been.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

MD-RB-AD Sale

View Quote
Ordered!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

MD-RB-AD Sale

View Quote
Bought one, thanks for taking the time to post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top