Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2020 12:34:09 AM EDT
Mounting a red dot on a 45 degree angle. Question .... can I mount the red dot on the handrail or the best way to mount it is on top of the receiver ?
I don’t really have any room on the receiver because of a big scope and a AR15  sloping forward 1 pcs mount holding the regular scope. Thanks. MD
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You can mount it forward on the rail with confidence. Not quite the same thing but I have a red dot mounted on an Ultimak railed gas tube on my AK47. Kind of like the "Scout Rifle style" set up. It works well and allows for an excellent field of view of everything going on down range.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You can mount it on the handguard.  Whether it works depends upon the hand guard, not on the optic.

Why not put it on top of the scope or at 45 degrees to the side.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. I guess I could mount it  off of the scope. Not sure what I need to do that ?  I slip on  a extra scope and then put the 45 degree mount to the scope ring and then Red dot to the 45 degree mount ? Maybe some one could show some picture here if not too much trouble. Thanks. Marty
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Badger Ordinance Condition One mount.
They also have a short rail section to mount the dot above the scope.

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Married to 45 degree mounting?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a mini red dot tube sight on a regular cowitness-height riser attached to a Warne 45-degree adapter attached to the receiver rail under the ocular bell. Very fast and rock solid. Unless your scope has an unusually large ocular bell, it should work well.

I’ve seen them mounted on the handguard or scope, but IMHO that is fundamentally less robust, slower and leaves the sight more exposed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Stealthy.... good idea. I have a  micro tube red dot also. Never thought about mounting it under Scope bell. I have a vortex crossfire  6-18 x 44.  
I Will take a look at that option Saturday. Thanks. MD
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Ideally you want as little movement as possible in your optic mounts and for them to be aligned with the bore (this is why you want to roll you rifle when shooting offset sights/optics so the sight/optic will be directly above the bore).

Due to the nature of handguards they might not be perfectly aligned with the top rail on the receiver (unless they are monolithic) and they flex. Even with that you are talking about a red dot which will not yield the kind of precision that handguard flex or slight misalignment would make that much noticeable. So I would say it would be good to go just about anywhere you wanted to mount it.

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I guess I could mount it  off of the scope. Not sure what I need to do that ?  I slip on  a extra scope and then put the 45 degree mount to the scope ring and then Red dot to the 45 degree mount ? Maybe some one could show some picture here if not too much trouble. Thanks. Marty
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]
yes.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Badger Ordinance Condition One mount.  They also have a short rail section to mount the dot above the scope.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179550/6CE28EE6-B705-4267-BD08-100331AC9C95-1456760.jpg
View Quote

That company makes great stuff!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used a Rogers Tri-rail for mounting stuff on A2 style handguards & when you tighten it, the handgaurds become solid.  I was going to mount this on 45 degree cant as well, but I just didn't like the way it felt, so I turned the rail upside down & mounted it on top.  It's actually just the right height for co-witness on the iron sights as is.

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Badger Ordinance Condition One mount.  They also have a short rail section to mount the dot above the scope.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179550/6CE28EE6-B705-4267-BD08-100331AC9C95-1456760.jpg

I just installed my Razor 1x10 in this mount.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I had to mount my tubular micro red dot on the side of hand guard. Used 45 degree.  My Nikon 3  6-24x50 had no other clearance on the top rail.  Will see how it works. MD
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Guys that shoot open in 3 gun use a 45 degree outset. Much quicker to rotate the rifle 45 keeping your cheek weld. Then rotating back to your scope when you need magnification.

Even guys in Tac Ops use iron sights at 45 degree for quick hoser shots.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top