Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deadduck357] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:

This model is different than the light weight models. This is the SLH series . This is the entry level series that will be released soon.
thanks
Troy
MI
View Quote
Thanks.
This SLH series will be same steel barrel nut and torque plate as the Combat Rail?
How soon? Best estimate? I'm 95% ready with new rifle, just lacking handguard.

Edit: Also, does it have same inside diameter as Combat Rail?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]

This model is different than the light weight models. This is the SLH series . This is the entry level series that will be released soon.
thanks
Troy
MI
View Quote
What makes that an "entry level" series?  Looks like quality and same as the others?

Anyways, I just got notified the 10.5 combats are in stock.... but I think I want the LW version instead when it comes out.  What to do, what to do, lol.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]

The SLH uses the same steel barrel nut and torque plate as the combat rail. It also has the same internal diameter. Release is 2-4 weeks out.

Thanks
Troy
MI
View Quote
What I needed to know, much thanks. Get em done, need one soon.

Dangit, one more ?. What lengths will these SLHs be offered?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm, this sure has my interest!  Keep us posted...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:59:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShadowAngel] [#9]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

you know the rules

...post pics or GTFO
View Quote
My mistake. This is the 14" combat rail with a 16" barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 3:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]
sorry if I missed it, but how much does the steel bbl nut weigh? Trying to figure out how much savings the Ti variant provides so I can add that info to the Parts Weights Database...
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#12]
What clamp on gas blocks will fit under these new handguards?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
These look pretty nice. I appreciate that you make lengths that will work with a FSB as a lot of manufacturers seem to be abondoning that market. FSB cutout rails would be awesome but I’m likely in the minority.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Leg:
These look pretty nice. I appreciate that you make lengths that will work with a FSB as a lot of manufacturers seem to be abondoning that market. FSB cutout rails would be awesome but I’m likely in the minority.
View Quote
I'm with you on this. I like the A2 FSB more than anything. I wish they updated it with rounded ears or diamond style like the Diamondhead sights. Or even Midwest front sights.

I got 2 fsb from Armalite for the AR10s, building a carbine and need a cut out rail or make it myself. My rifle length is semi shrouded.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a tough looking handguard
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Any plans on a 17 inch model?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#19]
How is this different than the G3?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Come on Combate Lite.  Just got my Hanson barrel in after 2 months of being out of stock.  Just need a rail and the upper will be complete.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Waiting for the SHL.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]
That must mean the Combat Lites are around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#26]
15" ordered for a HBAR 16" build.

Can't wait, hopefully you guys ship fast!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I just found this thread, looks like I'm going to be ordering one for a build. I'm using a 10.5 inch barrel, does the 9.5 leave the threads exposed enough for a suppressor qd mount?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, as long as your can does not come back beyond the back of the threads you are good to go.

Thanks,
Pete
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By corrosionguy:
I just found this thread, looks like I'm going to be ordering one for a build. I'm using a 10.5 inch barrel, does the 9.5 leave the threads exposed enough for a suppressor qd mount?
Yes, as long as your can does not come back beyond the back of the threads you are good to go.

Thanks,
Pete
Just placed my order for one today, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Do you make, or have any plans to make one of these that will fit the DPMS G2?
I have a SLR handguard on my G2 Bull right now, and while I like it better than the factory round one, I would like something a little better. This one looks exactly like what I am looking for.
As far I as I know, the SLR handguard is a standard AR handguard, just the barrel nut is different. What is the outside diameter of your barrel nut?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you have any plans for making a version for the DPMS/AERO M5?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I realize it's kinda MI's thing to put those little notches on the edges to save weight or more grip but man, I wish you'd make a line of these rails with it just being smooth.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NOMAAM] [#34]
I have an SP handguard that I would like to replace with one of these.  Do the barrel nuts interchange?  It would be awesome if I didn't have to remove it.

Nevermind, just answered my own question. No.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#35]
IG combat rail pics

Installed mine on my BCM middy today; seems really solid/durable for the money....

Review coming
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:12:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#36]
Midwest Industries Combat Rail system

I recently received a 14 inch Midwest Industries M-Lok Combat Rail.  This forend may be the finest rail system that MI has ever produced, but IMO it could be a touch better.  More on that later.

From the package, you receive the 6065 aluminum black anodized forend, 7 to 15 inches in length measured from the front of the receiver’s top rail, with 7 sides of M’Lok slots and a full Picatinny rail continuous along the top, steel barrel nut with a Titanium barrel nut available, torque plate, clamp screws which are steel but Titanium are available, one 5 slot polymer M-Lok rail section, two Allen wrenches, one for the clamp screws, one for the M-Lok rail section, and instructions.   As a past user of many MI products, I noticed that the use of an adhesive to bond the forend to the barrel nut is no longer needed.  Using that mild adhesive never bothered me, just the opposite, it gave me an added since of security that that rail was not going to slip no matter what big bore AR I used it on.  But some seem to get un-nerved about it, and some have even used the adhesive as a lubricant on their BCG and barrel nut with surprising results (gotta read the directions people) so they will find the lack of adhesive to be one less reason for Murphy to visit them.

Also, there are also two QD swivel attachment points on the rear end of the rail at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions.  This is my only complaint about the rail.  Yes, this is a combat rail, but no, I am not a combat person.  I don’t use single point or the combat two point slings.  I shoot of a bench, or I hunt.  In order for ME to hunt with this, I have to mount a QD M-Lok attachment point out on the forend, near the muzzle end of the handguard.  That’s where I like my sling swivels to attach, and I like them on the bottom.  But with a M-Lok QD sling attachment point mounted on the bottom of the rail, it interferes with shooting off a bench rest.  That is my only complaint, no muzzle end QD attachment points like there have been on rails past.  This is the only thing I can see where an already great forend could be even better, for me anyway.  Of course, if the top rail was not solid all the way down with Picatinny slots only at the ends of the forend, some more weight could be saved, but MI has their Lightweight rails with this weight saving feature.

The OD of the rail is 1.5 inches, ID is 1.3 inches and weight, well, what weight?  It is very light but exact weights, including barrel nut, are listed on MI’s web site for whatever length of rail you decide on.  The 14 inch forend that I have is a scant 10.8 ounces, but would be even lighter with the Titanium barrel nut and Titanium clamp screws.

The instructions walk you through every step of the process and there is even an excellent video on MI’s web site if you do better with visual and audio instructions, however, if you are one of those poor soles who cannot pour water out of a boot with the instructions on the heel, take it to you local gunsmith for installation.  Installation should not be expensive, and if it is, find another gunsmith.  The rest of us will have no trouble installing it ourselves.

One of the great things about this rail system, like the G3, is that the barrel nut does not need indexing.  Just slip on the forend, drop in the torque plate, tighten it and loosen it three times to season the threads if that is your way of doing things,  then finish by torqueing to 40 ft-lbs.  The forend top rail slip-fits around any forged mil-spec upper receiver rail so there is zero chance of forend rotation (but may not fit some billet upper receivers and will NOT fit piston driven AR systems) and is super fast to install and IMO is as secure as any rail on the market.  The barrel nut is simply tightened down to 40 ft-lbs, the gas block and gas tube installed, and the forend slipped into place.  The torque plate drops in and is much simpler to use than the Gen 3 torque plate, which sometimes did not want to fit around some lower receivers.  That concern is no longer valid.  The torque plate is similar to the SSP MI series of suppressor rails but the barrel nut is steel, or Titanium, and the torque plate is round instead of flat.  One tightens the clamp screws on the bottom of the rail to 50-55 inch-pounds and Bob’s your uncle.  You are done.

Rather than post pictures here, there is a very good video available on Midwest Industries’ web site.  The installation video can be viewed on their web site at https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-crm14.htm

While the Combat Rail is not available in any color other than black, it is easily coated with your favorite super finish.  I fancy DuraCoats Magpul FDE, and here is the finished installation on my 19” .30 HRT along with MI’s extremely functional two-port muzzle brake.

Here is a 7” CR on a 6.5” .458 SOCOM with MI flash can, MI fixed front and MI Combat folding rear sights.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Any chance that Midwest Industries will resume the FDE option in the Combat Handguard?
I really like this guard over others but would rather have FDE from the factory than paint one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#39]
We are considering a factory only cerakote option.
thanks
Troy
MI
View Quote
If and when you do, I'm IN!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By deadduck357:
For anyone curious, these Combat rails DO fit on the Aero M4E1 threaded uppers. Mated them up yesterday - perfect match.
View Quote
Thanks!  I was curious about that.  Have an Aero M4E1 threaded upper on the way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks great! Having used a couple Gen 3's, I like the improvements to this new line as well as the deletion of green loctite.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Badger52] [#42]
How timely I stumbled on this thread - thanks Troy for all the great info.  I have a question for an upcoming build.

I'm really pretty set into a particular adjustable gas block that, theoretically, just clears the posted ID of the Combat Rail, 1.26" in 1.3" your dimension.
Because it is taller from bore centerline than below I'm curious if you can tell me whether it'll fit.
It's the Superlative, .502 below, .757 above the bore centerline (on a .625" bbl.). Seems like it would fit given the pics I've seen of the CR handguard, but "seems" isn't a plan, so thought I'd ask.
Appreciate any insights, thanks!

Disregard, another forum member kindly measured their rig for me & gave me some numbers. It'll go no sweat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtRock2] [#44]
The 9.5 inch Combat Rail arrived today - 4 days, wow.
Quality looks excellent and went together in minutes.

Beer cozy is already in use,
Thanks......
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a update.  We will be doing a run of cerakote magpul FDE combat rails. These will be shot with a custom made color that is extremely close to magpul FDE. The standard mix was not close enough so we took it a step further . These will be done in small runs and be a factory only purchased option. These should be ready before Christmas.
Thanks
Troy
MI
View Quote
oh snap
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#47]
We have a super short version in the works for all the 9mm pistols .
Troy
MI
View Quote
I think my email server hosed a reply to me but will there be an MI line of panels/covers for these?
(either that or I've lost any search-fu)
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Any idea when the 7" will be back in stock?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top