Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2019 10:30:54 AM EDT
Hi all,

I’m looking for some ideas on how to store a bunch of magazines. If any of you guys that have a metric shit-tonne would be kind enough to show how you store/organize yours, I’d much appreciate it. I have a decent quantity of several different types and I’m trying to figure out a good way to organize and store them. Right now, I just have a big mess.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Separate pistol from rifle and store in 50 cal ammo cans.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw holes in sheetrock of your bedroom wall and slide them in. Wife will love that kind of interior decorating. I keep extras in boxes because my wife isn't a fan of the wall decoration.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I just use plastic tubs. AR mags, HK mags, FN mags all go in separate tubs. Same with pistol mags.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out some of the storage solutions from MTM.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I should’ve been a bit more specific. I have 50 or more each AR, 7.62 AK, HK91. I have probably 20-25 each: M14, FAL, M1 Carbine. A bunch of different SMG (Uzi, Suomi, Colt, CZ-26, etc) mags as well. And a whole shitpot of different pistol mags. So I have a bunch of mags I’m trying to figure out.

I haven’t had much luck with plastic tubs. They always seem to get brittle and break in the wintertime. That’s actually how I ended up with the mess I have, at least at some level. Though I guess that could probably be mitigated with a better quality tub.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
MTM storage tubs are fairly robust. And they are not expensive.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
buy better quality plastic tubs.  I live in a pretty cold place and don't have any issue with mine.  AK mags on one side, AR mags on the other, with a piece of cardboard in the middle to separate the two. Have another set up like it for other platforms
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
OP this is how I roll...............I keep my TEOTWAWKI magazines in my safe which are quite a few of Okay Surefeeds (not the E2s) dry lube film for my main rifle.  I keep (4) bandoleers of my magazines on the top of a closet for easy access.  The rest get stored where ever I can fit them.  My thought process is if someone breaks into my house they will get some mags but my go to mags are secured in my safe along with my go to pistol mags etc.  Don't over think it but magazines can be stored just about anywhere I just choose to secure a decent amount in case of a home break in so I'm never out of magazines.  If someone gets into my safe then so be it but they will have to work very, very hard to get my go to mags etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Stanley plastic rolling tool box.  Basically a big plastic chest with wheels. Have cardboard boxes inside to divide up the mags by type. It's not ideal but it works and I have 8 of the damn things which would otherwise be empty taking up space. All thanks to your taxpayer dollars I would get issued one or two every deployment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I use plastic ammo cans from Walmart, easy, stack nice, holds 5+ Magpul 3rd Gen loaded mags or boxes of ammo.   But sounds a like you will need 10x cans per type!  When you get too high qty I like the same cans, easy to handle.  I prefer the sealed plastic cans to metal, fewer scratches on my floor and shelf and $5@ at Wally World.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Akro-Mils Super-Size AkroBins®: Full Version

Lots of sizes available. Stackable and can easily retrieve anything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Fat 50 cans, 20MM cans, wooden surplus ammo crates.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have become addicted to the Midway USA magazine cases for both my 5.56 and 7.62 mags. They're padded with a detachable carry strap, they hold 15-5.56 or 14-7.62 mags, and they come in 4 colors (and yes, I color-code my cases/ magazines). Usually 25 bucks, often on sale for 20 bucks. Well-made, and they look great.

Magazone Case
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have become addicted to the Midway USA magazine cases for both my 5.56 and 7.62 mags. They're padded with a detachable carry strap, they hold 15-5.56 or 14-7.62 mags, and they come in 4 colors (and yes, I color-code my cases/ magazines). Usually 25 bucks, often on sale for 20 bucks. Well-made, and they look great.

Magazone Case
View Quote
In the process of doing this. Thank you, I'll be ordering some of those.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In the process of doing this. Thank you, I'll be ordering some of those.
View Quote
You'll like them. When storing 20rnd 7.62mm magazines, place them running parallel to the long side, with a divider between the top and bottom layer (you'll get 14 in the case). For 25rnd 7.62 mags, place them like in pictures parallel to the short side (12 mags in the case). You get 15 5.56 mags in each case. Yes, they're strong enough to hold loaded magazines for transport.

Attachment Attached File

Left: 25rnd Magpul 7.62mm

Center: 20rnd steel D&H 7.62mm

Right: 30rnd 300BLK Lancer

I use OD for 7.62mm magazines, coyote for 5.56mm, black for 300BLK, and I'll be using grey for a caliber yet to be determined. They have a plastic card holder sewn on the front for putting in a written descriptor of contents.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#18]
That Midway case looks great. I’m going to order one to try out. I’m a big fan of the two U.S. Grunt Gear mag purses I have for duty and emergency use (the 10/6 version that holds 10 rifle mags and 6 pistol mags), but they are very expensive. They’ve been offering a lot of 25% off sales lately. What I like about them for duty use is that the magazines are held upright individually, so you can pull single mags from them if you had the bag slung over your shoulder while the dividers kept the other mags in place. That’s more useful in a sustained firefight or something though. The Midway case looks perfect for storage and transport to the range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Forgot to mention I have some of mine in the USGI 6 pocket green cloth bandos.  I z fold them and they fit nicely inside the cardboard boxes and are easy to grab.  Have them rubber banded into the small z folded bundle.  Also have some in the cloth bandos that SAW pork chops and linked 7.62 come in.  Makes for convenient grab and go packages.  They're not super durable but the price was right - free.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#20]
For those interested in why I went with the Midway cases (they are kinda expensive), I like the fact that magazines are protected with padding in a durable case that is easy to carry. Magazines are expensive enough that I don't want to risk them being damaged, and I like the idea of a fast grab-and-go design. Plus, non-gun people won't really know what they are just by looking.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Walmart sells green ammo cans of various sizes. Get the size that fits your needs.
For very long storage in poor conditions where moisture exposure is possible, dip the metal mags into liquified (heated) cosmoline. When you want to put them to use again, simply put the mags in boiling water and all the cosmoline will detach and float on top of water. It's that easy. Spray the mags with WD40 (WD = Water Displacement) to remove any entrapped moisture and wipe clean.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You'll like them. When storing 20rnd 7.62mm magazines, place them running parallel to the long side, with a divider between the top and bottom layer (you'll get 14 in the case). For 25rnd 7.62 mags, place them like in pictures parallel to the short side (12 mags in the case). You get 15 5.56 mags in each case. Yes, they're strong enough to hold loaded magazines for transport.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333267/mag_cases_jpg-1215601.JPG

Left: 25rnd Magpul 7.62mm

Center: 20rnd steel D&H 7.62mm

Right: 30rnd 300BLK Lancer

I use OD for 7.62mm magazines, coyote for 5.56mm, black for 300BLK, and I'll be using grey for a caliber yet to be determined. They have a plastic card holder sewn on the front for putting in a written descriptor of contents.
View Quote
Those are almost the exact same size as a medium luggage packing cube.....hmmm....can get a 5 pack for $20 on Amazon.  Not the most durable but for LTS could be a viable use.  Not padded obviously, but that can be fixed with some thin EVA foam.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Wooden ammo crates or footlockers.  Various pistol mags in one ammo crate, 7.62x51mm in another ammo crate.  Sold all my SMG mags which again were stored in ammo crate.  Got two USGI footlockers for bulk storage of 30/20 rd mags.  Those mags are generally stored in USGI bandoleers 7 pocket for 20s and 4 pocket for the 30s.  The top shelves in one of the USGI footlocker are for M1911 and M9 mags (one shelve each).

CD
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I just received one of the Midway cases in the mail today. Very nice quality for $25. 15 GI mags fit in it easily, and it looks like as many as 18 may fit in two horizontal rows of 9 each, but it would be pretty stuffed. Only minor complaint is the simple shoulder strap. The U.S. Grunt Gear mag purse comes with a heavy duty shoulder strap with a rough textured pad that makes it easier to keep it on your shoulder when carrying the bag, especially when it's full of loaded mags, but of course, the strap costs as much as the whole Midway case, and it's probably overkill for storage and range use. Thanks for the tip - I'll probably pick up a few more of these down the road.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Loaded in chest rig and one in the carbine locked in a quick access storage compartment.  Keep unused mags sealed in original package.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I use those plastic fat 50 ammo cans.  I can fit 20 mags in each 1.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top