Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 107 of 145)
Page / 145
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

That's the way I see it.  I still wouldn't mind having a way to mount a weapon light, though.  I think someone makes a mount to the FSB.
View Quote
They do, I remember seeing one around but was never enamored with the look.

They way you have it now it that simple perfection. Light is going to make it heavier anyway.

Unless you really need (because you're using it), looks wise and weight wise it's just perfection as it is now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
They do, I remember seeing one around but was never enamored with the look.

They way you have it now it that simple perfection. Light is going to make it heavier anyway.

Unless you really need (because you're using it), looks wise and weight wise it's just perfection as it is now.
View Quote
Thanks.  Still wouldn’t mind having the ability to put a light on it only when/if I need it, and leave it off the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

With a Dead Air Sandman S it sounds exactly the same as unsuppressed.

I was surprised. I know you aren't supposed to shoot rimfire through a non-serviceable can, but a few rounds won't hurt it.
View Quote
My can is 223 user serviceable @Sputnik556
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is mine, Aero A4 lower and DSA upper with KAC RAS and VCAS sling

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Found me a nice marine issue Okc-3s yesterday for cheaps.

Now I was army back in the day. Got out of the reserves a few month's before 911. So most all of our equipment was straight junk. We still had a couple of M16a nothings in the armory. Can't remember if we even had bayos. Not like the army is big on them anyways.

Now this here devil dog pig sticker is a fucking beast. I remember my M9 bayonet from basic, & my best comparison now would be that's its an Americanized an bayo, a knife for a rifle & that's it. This Okc thing is ment to kill some shit and be useful aside from that.

Well played Marines. Well played.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:05:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reese3303] [#6]
She done besides needing a rear sight.
Reppin the TA01 with that good reticle

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By reese3303:
She done besides needing a rear sight.
Reppin the TA01 with that good reticle

https://i.imgur.com/mE1Uogp.jpg
View Quote
Id like to try out a ta01nsn. I had a rco-a4 but sold it because I didnt like the 200 meter aiming point of the chevron. I do most of my shooting at 200 and being clone correct isnt worth the price tag if id rather use irons instead of the scope....
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ckopp636:

Id like to try out a ta01nsn. I had a rco-a4 but sold it because I didnt like the 200 meter aiming point of the chevron. I do most of my shooting at 200 and being clone correct isnt worth the price tag if id rather use irons instead of the scope....
View Quote
I hear you there. I did order a AGA-ARD killflash w/IR filter to provide a look similar to the TA31RCO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s the way I see it.  I still wouldn’t mind having a way to mount a weapon light, though.  I think someone makes a mount to the FSB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm telling you, I like the idea of not installing the RAS.
Much lighter. Mine used to be configured with everything on it and it weighed so much that I'd take it out of the safe, look at myself in the mirror with it and put it right back. I'm not so young anymore to be able to maneuver around with it.

Plus I love it with the handle and standard hand guards.

Must say that it looks darn cool with the ACOG and kill flash all the rest being standard though. Still light but empowered by 4x optic power!
That’s the way I see it.  I still wouldn’t mind having a way to mount a weapon light, though.  I think someone makes a mount to the FSB.
The mount you are thinking about is the Elzetta Mount.  Rock solid, and inexpensive.  I'm thinking about going to A2 handguards as a weight saver and short rail for THE bottom VFG.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
whats the best 20'' barrel available ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
Here is mine, Aero A4 lower and DSA upper with KAC RAS and VCAS sling

https://i.imgur.com/Gy8wiqc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/q4uy8Q9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SGCvGyd.jpg
View Quote
Is that DSA upper Gov't profile or HBAR? On their sight, it shoes HBAR. I had a 20 inch Colt HBAR, I wouldn't want to repeat that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure if this has been addressed but we're there ever any A4's, with A1 lowers? Also,where do I get a mag pouch, for the stock?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
*Word Count Limit*

Just bought a Colt AR15A4 last weekend to do a M16A4 clone. I went ahead and ordered a Trijicon TA31RCO-A4CP, KAC M5 Rifle RAS, KAC Vertical Forward Pistol Grip, KAC Rail panels, Geissele SSA-E & Specter Gear CQB Sling 3point. Most of the parts came in yesterday.

The reason I'm posting this, is to do a direct comparison with an actual M16A4. I have a factory new in box M16A4, that has two manufacture dates from an internal Colt collection. One in 1985 (Bare M16A2-E4 RR) and one 23 years later when they used the receiver to build it into a RO901 (International Export) M16A4 manufactured in 2008. I called colt, and they said the serial number in their "new" database lists it as being manufactured as a 2008 RO901 M16A4 and a 1985 M16A2 in their "old" database. There were four other RO901s from the same internal collection manufactured at that same time. I have another gun from the same collection that had two mfg dates with them as well. Its a SMG manufactured in Dec 1985 & June of 2004. It has a fixed carry handle though.

Anyways, with those details aside, I did not want to shoot the M16A4 being it's NIB & 40+K. However, out of all my machineguns, it is my SHTF Bugout gun. That being said, I wanted to train/familiarize myself with the A4 platform. So I bought the AR15A4, to mimic feel and function without the fun switch.

Comparison:

After I ordered all the parts to turn the AR15A4 into a M16A4, I got the M16 out the safe this morning and put them next to each other. I am impressed on how identical everything was. In factory configuration, it is extremely close to the M16A4. Colt did a phenomenal job replicating it. It has me second guessing on adding those "accessories" I ordered. Its as if I would be turning AR it into a more a M16A4 then a M16A4. But I figure, in a Bugout situation, I would want to have the M16 in the all bells & whistles military configuration.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
*Word Count Limit*

Both in factory Config, Cosmetics Comparison (From most noticeable to least noticable)

1. The most notable cosmetic difference are the handguards. The M16 has a textured handguard, where the AR has a smooth shiny handguard.
2. The AR has a Ambi selector switch and the M16 does not.
3. The AR FSB is not F-Marked, the M16 is. Both have a "B2" forging on the right side. (Despite the lack of F on the AR, the FSB's are identical in height (w/calipers) believe it or not!)
4. The rear/stock sling loop on the M16 is thicker than the AR.
5. AR has M4 stamped on the front of the upper receiver, the M16 is blank.
6. The M16 has a small triangle stamp on the upper right of the right side upper receiver (Tongue twister haha) ( Not sure what that is, never seen it before on a Colt AR.)
7. The heat shield under the handguards is slightly different. DIA of the shield where it goes over the gas tube is much larger on the M16. (Probably a stamping variation)
8. Probably an A2 receiver thing, but the rear right support ribbing is slightly different, but the same on the left side.
9. Probably an A2 receiver thing, but the M16 is rollmarked Colt Industries and not Colt Defense.

Internals. (I hadn't taken reviewed them in detail yet, but just compared the ramps.)

1. AR has M4 feed ramps, and the M16 has rifle feed ramps.
2. AR bolt carrier and extractor are missing the C stamp. Hadn't checked the M16.
3. AR bolt has MPC stenciled on it, but no painted dot. Hadn't checked the M16.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:25:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The-Snail] [#17]
*Word Limit Reached*

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By The-Snail:
*Word Count Limit*

Both in factory Config, Cosmetics Comparison (From most noticeable to least noticable)

1. The most notable cosmetic difference are the handguards. The M16 has a textured handguard, where the AR has a smooth shiny handguard.
2. The AR has a Ambi selector switch and the M16 does not.
3. The AR FSB is not F-Marked, the M16 is. Both have a "B2" forging on the right side. (Despite the lack of F on the AR, the FSB's are identical in height (w/calipers) believe it or not!)
4. The rear/stock sling loop on the M16 is thicker than the AR.
5. AR has M4 stamped on the front of the upper receiver, the M16 is blank.
6. The M16 has a small triangle stamp on the upper right of the right side upper receiver (Tongue twister haha) ( Not sure what that is, never seen it before on a Colt AR.)
7. The heat shield under the handguards is slightly different. DIA of the shield where it goes over the gas tube is much larger on the M16. (Probably a stamping variation)
8. Probably an A2 receiver thing, but the rear right support ribbing is slightly different, but the same on the left side.
9. Probably an A2 receiver thing, but the M16 is rollmarked Colt Industries and not Colt Defense.

Internals. (I hadn't taken reviewed them in detail yet, but just compared the ramps.)

1. AR has M4 feed ramps, and the M16 has rifle feed ramps.
2. AR bolt carrier and extractor are missing the C stamp. Hadn't checked the M16.
3. AR bolt has MPC stenciled on it, but no painted dot. Hadn't checked the M16.
View Quote
Question on the barrel extensions, do they match? ie Rifle ramps/extension (M16A4) and M4 ramp/extensions(AR15A4)?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Question on the barrel extensions, do they match? ie Rifle ramps/extension (M16A4) and M4 ramp/extensions(AR15A4)?
View Quote
Yeah, they do. The M16 ramps and extension are both rifle. AR15A4 are both M4.

*Trying to figure out image hosting. Last site I used was photobucket, before they screwed everyone over*
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Yeah, they do. The M16 ramps and extension are both rifle. AR15A4 are both M4.

*Trying to figure out image hosting. Last site I used was photobucket, before they screwed everyone over*
View Quote
Your hosting is working and the comparison is awesome. Sending thanks your way!
IF you need to host these or more, I have a professional flickr and will do for you.

SD
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Your hosting is working and the comparison is awesome. Sending thanks your way!
IF you need to host these or more, I have a professional flickr and will do for you.

SD
View Quote
Thank you Sir. It's showing up as links in my post, rather than inserted jpgs. I tried everything, I don't know if that is forum privilege ability since I'm a Newbe.

Anyways, if there is a picture comparison you or anyone else want to see, just let me know. I'll snap some pics of the feed ramps for you here soon and upload them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
That’s the forge mark for Cardinal Forge (a stylized cardinal’s head). I haven’t seen that on a Colt receiver before either. I guess they must be a smaller operation than the more common ones like Cerro.

Awesome comparison photos, thanks for posting them!
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The-Snail] [#23]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

That’s the forge mark for Cardinal Forge (a stylized cardinal’s head). I haven’t seen that on a Colt receiver before either. I guess they must be a smaller operation than the more common ones like Cerro.

Awesome comparison photos, thanks for posting them!
View Quote
Thanks.

Here are the feed ramps.

AR15A4

M16A4

Close-up of the small triangle forge mark on the M16A4 upper.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Close-up of the small triangle forge mark on the M16A4 upper.
https://i.imgur.com/lUIgEo5.jpg
View Quote
Oh, sorry, I was referring to the mark next to the C above the forward assist. That triangle looks more like some kind of “ding” or blemish on the upper. I don’t think that’s an intentional marking.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

Oh, sorry, I was referring to the mark next to the C above the forward assist. That triangle looks more like some kind of “ding” or blemish on the upper. I don’t think that’s an intentional marking.
View Quote
Could very well be. I just zoomed in as much as possible with the phone to get a clearer image, and it looks like it was "stamped" or "hit" twice. Looks like a triangle with a sideways "P" in the middle. Blemish or stamp, I've never seen one like it before. I'll check the SMG, to see if there is anything similar on it.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
That’s very interesting. Up close, it definitely looks like a double-stamped triangle. Hopefully someone else will recognize it. Maybe some kind of stamp from depot-level reset or something.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
That triangle stamp is a colt proof mark of some kind, my only be on their military guns because all the old A1 uppers you see floating around have them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Pothole:
That triangle stamp is a colt proof mark of some kind, my only be on their military guns because all the old A1 uppers you see floating around have them.
View Quote
That's true. The only other thing I was thinking it could be is a proof for foreign sales. Being that a RO901 is a international model (International:
R0901 / NSN 1005-01-383-2872 Safe-Semi-Auto). It could potentially be something related to that.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Jealous of that MG lower.  

On the topic of A4s, should I wait for PSA to get their CHF uppers back in stock, or just go with a Windham Weaponry barrel?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

On the topic of A4s, should I wait for PSA to get their CHF uppers back in stock, or just go with a Windham Weaponry barrel?
View Quote
Both are good options. To me, I would get the CHF barrel because it's FN and a CHF AR barrel, both of which I haven't tried out before.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: A_Friendly_Manatee] [#31]
Originally Posted By endermend:
Both are good options. To me, I would get the CHF barrel because it's FN and a CHF AR barrel, both of which I haven't tried out before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By endermend:

The CHF FN barrel would definitely elevate the rifle up to heirloom tier.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#32]

The CHF FN barrel would definitely elevate the rifle up to heirloom tier.
View Quote
Yup, but it's not 100% accurate. They seem cool, and getting an A4 upper would be an excuse to try one out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:24:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44Echo10] [#33]

Could very well be. I just zoomed in as much as possible with the phone to get a clearer image, and it looks like it was "stamped" or "hit" twice. Looks like a triangle with a sideways "P" in the middle. Blemish or stamp, I've never seen one like it before. I'll check the SMG, to see if there is anything similar on it.

https://i.imgur.com/M7qMLXz.jpg
View Quote
The triangle has VP inside it, Colt has been using this style "verified proof" stamp since the early 1900's showing handguns with this stamp were proof fired and safe to use with cartridges loaded with smokeless powder.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:

The triangle has VP inside it, Colt has been using this style "verified proof" stamp since the early 1900's showing handguns with this stamp were proof fired and safe to use with cartridges loaded with smokeless powder.
View Quote
Awesome! Thanks Echo! That's really good info to know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Awesome! Thanks Echo! That's really good info to know.
View Quote
No problem. Nice looking firearms you have there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: familyman357] [#36]

View Quote
CHF is the current hotness, but it doesn't really come into play unless/until you've worn through the chrome lining.  
FN barrels are good.  Windham barrels are good.  The FN barrel will likely (who can tell with PSA) come with a F-height front sight base.  The Windham barrel will come with a A2 (what Windham calls "standard") front sight base and may require a 0.040" taller front sight post (also available inexpensively from Windham) if you use a flat-top upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#38]
After about 10 years Its been over 10 years, I guess I posted on the first page of this thread I have an A4 again, Colt with an NOS M5 RAS (packaging for the upper rail marked 05', lower 04'), I'm going to add a 3-point sling to it and leave it with irons.

ETA:
Barrel was marked 11/17 (or something around there)
The upper is cage code marked, not "C" marked
Carry handle just has a square forge code
The BCG was not "C" marked
Bolt is “MPC” engraved/dot-matrix marked
Has an "F" marked FSB
Lower has QR code engraved
It did come with the ambi selector but I swapped it to my M4

Here are a few comparisons to my LE6920/21 from ~2 years ago

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#39]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#40]
If they just parked the outside of the melonited barrel, I'd be all about it. The shiny barrel doesn't look right when you've got that much barrel hanging off the front.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By h00n:
If they just parked the outside of the melonited barrel, I'd be all about it. The shiny barrel doesn't look right when you've got that much barrel hanging off the front.
View Quote
Agree.

I like nitrided barrels, but one day they are going to ruin the clone game.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I've been eyeing this kit for a while (I even have a spare Matech, carry handle, and Aero Precision A4 lower ready to go), but I still want to hold out for an FN CHF upper/kit instead.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By h00n:
View Quote
Same here. That held me off on other builds (A2), too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:18:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#44]

Want to get a Colt AR15A4 lower for it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Same here. That held me off on other builds (A2), too.
View Quote
I bought one of their carbine uppers with a nitride barrel and it doesn't seem as shiny to me in real life as the pictures make it seem. Maybe that's just from the lack of direct sun here in the PNW though
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Pothole:

I bought one of their carbine uppers with a nitride barrel and it doesn't seem as shiny to me in real life as the pictures make it seem. Maybe that's just from the lack of direct sun here in the PNW though
View Quote
I have a nitrided Androcorp MK18 upper and it's not very shiny either. I'm more concerned with how it'll look on an A4 with that much sticking out. IDK, I think nitride is the future, it certainly is fucking up the clone game, though lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Shark Arms Co has FN A4 URGs currently. Sexy as hell.
I may need to throw together another build now??
View Quote
I read that the barrels on those are not what is advertised. On the clone facebook group, some guys were very disappointed with their FN's
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

From Shark Arms?
View Quote
No, not Shark Arms in particular, just the commercial FN uppers.
Page / 145
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 107 of 145)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top