Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2024 5:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMS]
Have a 22mag for evening pest control. My current Leupold VX2 3X9 is great during the daylight but lacking in the evening.
Looking for a dependable budget to mid level optic with a lighted reticle and better light gathering.

Thanks in advance  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The best glass you can afford + the biggest objective and tube diameter you can afford. Budget is going to matter bigly here. An Arken EP5 5-25x56 will likely be the cheapest option that’s still decent.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd look into a Steiner PX4I (about $500 in the EE) or a Burris RT-6 (about $300 in the EE).
I have both but much prefer the Steiner.
It has a very precise lighted dot. (.75moa if I remember correctly)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Those have decent objective sizes, and going to anything smaller including an lpvo will be worse. Red dot will be close. It’s time to put a WML on it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
I'd look into a Steiner PX4I (about $500 in the EE) or a Burris RT-6 (about $300 in the EE).
I have both but much prefer the Steiner.
It has a very precise lighted dot. (.75moa if I remember correctly)
View Quote

Neither would be ideal for low light, as they have very small objectives.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Credo 2.5-10x56 that performs nicely in low light. My vision is good and it still lets in enough light that effective resolution is better than the naked eye.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
If you balance magnification and exit pupil to keep a 5mm minimum exit pupil, you will be fine.

Good glass and coatings costs money. Buy as much optical quality as you can afford.

Big objective lenses have big parralax errors. Go for less power with a smaller objective or accept the need for side adjustable parallax.

If you go 50mm or 56mm and over 10x you will NEED adjustable parallax if you care about precision.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMS] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevL:
If you balance magnification and exit pupil to keep a 5mm minimum exit pupil, you will be fine.

Good glass and coatings costs money. Buy as much optical quality as you can afford.

Big objective lenses have big parralax errors. Go for less power with a smaller objective or accept the need for side adjustable parallax.

If you go 50mm or 56mm and over 10x you will NEED adjustable parallax if you care about precision.
View Quote
Any specific optics? Under 10x and lighted reticle is where I want to be.
Budget is only limited to the fact its going on a 22WMR.
I have Nightforce on my up scale rifles and carbines just want something that will
be better suited to a rim fire semi budget farm truck gun that will perform in low light without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARMS:
Have a 22mag for evening pest control. My current Leupold VX2 3X9 is great during the daylight but lacking in the evening.
Looking for a dependable budget to mid level optic with a lighted reticle and better light gathering.

Thanks in advance  
View Quote

What is it that you're looking for?  A brighter view at higher magnification? This may sound backwards, but having a goal in mind, first determine the highest magnification you'll be using and get a quality scope with an objective that will give you an exit pupil as close to 8mm as you can afford. Just keep in mind that I said a quality scope. I'll take a Steiner P4xi over a cheap 4x with a 50mm objective any day. Glass quality matters a lot.

I have an ACOG 4x32 that equates to an 8mm exit pupil and very good glass and it makes very good use of available light.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top