Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got two more hogs this weekend with 210gr TSXs.  Very happy with results.  Both exited and did well.  

Also got my handloaded 300gr SMK subs dailed in at 50yds.

Here is what one of those looks like after hitting a steel gong.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/300gr_SMK_on_steel_jpg-2439424.JPG
View Quote
That's impressive
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Got my thread adapter.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Man that's sweeeeeet!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I still haven't heard from Gorilla about the ammo I ordered back on 6/24...ugh.  BUT, Maker Bullets opened up sales of their Rex 350gr Expanding Subs today and I was able to order a few before they went OOS (wanted to post here about it, but I was out on the road and for some reason I can't log onto this site on my phone anymore...frustrating).  Looking forward to playing/hunting with those.  For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, one of the gun-youtuber guys (AP2020 Outdoors) posted this video earlier today:

8.6 Blackout Maker 350gr Subsonic REX Gel Shot #shorts ???????? #8.6Blackout
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I also spoke with Makers bullets today and ordered 2 boxes. Now I need to figure a starting point with 1680.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
For those looking...Q has some Hornady Die Sets for $139 in stock right now
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Received my 350gr Rex bullets from Maker today. They look awesome.  The powder charge recommended by them worked great...subsonic and cycled my action.  Also got it zeroed at 50yds tonight.  Plan to hunt this weekend with them and try to get a pig...
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my makers today! These are large!

Getting dies soon!
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I see absolutely no purpose for this and predict it will die quickly.

Does anyone remember the 45GAP?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey if it's more popular than 338 federal I'm happy. I'll trade the energy for the supply.

Lee die's are there way! SAT, I'll post back if 338 federal brass works!
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey if it's more popular than 338 federal I'm happy. I'll trade the energy for the supply.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure you can me it from 338 federal brass or even 308 brass but it’s quite a bit shorter. Don’t know if you’ll run into any weirdness with the old shoulder. 338 Federal never made much sense to me when 358 Winchester is right there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Got to the range today and zeroed the 350gr Makers at 50yds.  They were impacting about 5" low at 100yds.  Also captured one into water bottles.  Should be hog hunting tomorrow and Friday nights...wish me luck!
FYI I ended up loading them a bit shorter than Maker recommended...they said 2.810" and I tried that but couldn't load more than two into my mags so I went to 2.785" and now they are fine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got to the range today and zeroed the 350gr Makers at 50yds.  They were impacting about 5" low at 100yds.  Also captured one into water bottles.  Should be hog hunting tomorrow and Friday nights...wish me luck!
FYI I ended up loading them a bit shorter than Maker recommended...they said 2.810" and I tried that but couldn't load more than two into my mags so I went to 2.785" and now they are fine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Rex_JPG-2452105.JPG
View Quote

That thing looks gnarly...good luck on your hunt.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Got 6 hogs total this weekend with the 8.6 using the 350gr Rex bullets from Maker (14 hogs total so far with the 8.6blk, the ones prior to this weekend were with Gorilla 210gr TSXs).  

This weekend's hogs with the 350gr Rex bullets were from ~25lb up to around ~200lb.  

One good example was a medium sized hog that was quartering just slightly towards me.  Hit was in the forward shoulder and exit was toward the back of the lungs.  The bullet made a huge exit (kind of triangular shaped) and the hog dropped in its tracks.  Some of the blood spray actually was in front of where the hog was standing so I think a fair amount actually came out of the entrance wound as the bullet was impacting...that's something I wasn't expecting.  These bullets are brutal.

Another good example was a small hog that I hit broadside at about 75yds...in the FLIR video I can actually see a big spray/spirt of blood flying out of the exit behind the hog. Wicked.

All of the 350gr Rex bullets exited and performed great throughout the hunt.  On one close shot I think the petals might have come off, but at 75-100yds it looks like they all expanded perfectly as folks have been seeing in the gel testing.  These heavy expanding bullets had a very solid "thwap" sound on impact!  That sound is just incredible...I am impressed.

Most of my shots are 50-100yds on hogs.  I was really thinking that I'd do most hunting with supers, but honestly these expanding heavy subs did so well and were just so much fun to use that I am thinking about using them for almost all of my future hog hunts.  With 300blk I used subs when being quiet was desired, but most of the time I used supers because I wanted more knock down power than I was getting with subs (even though the 190gr Hornady Sub-X is pretty awesome).  With these 8.6 subs I feel like I have plenty of knock down power...so why not be quiet all the time.  Having a lot of power and the ability to be quiet in one gun is a big part of why I wanted to try the 8.6 in the first place...and so far it is doing exactly what I hoped it would.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you!

What does your neck measure before loading?

I'm getting .3545

They chamber

After loading the makers it won't chamber and necks are swollen to .3785

Tips?

Want to save money and not do necks so I'm thinking about getting some hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass to convert. Can I go straight to 338 or do a need an in between step? Does this need necks done still?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Dang, sorry...I don't have any cases at that stage right now.  I have been loading mine from once fired Gorilla brass.  I can tell you that the Gorilla loaded ammo's outside neck dimension is 0.358".  That's just about a .01 that you'd have to turn it down. There is another thread started by a youtuber named AP2020 Outdoors...I think he talks a bit about turning 6.5CM brass into 8.6blk.  But, he does neck turn them to get the correct dimensions...I do recall reading that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like perhaps a slight modification to the chamber dims is needed so we can easily convert "X brand" 6.5C or .308 brass without neck turning after the chop and trim/chamfer like how they sized 300BO to work with converted LC 5.56 cases....or at least I think I remember reading that about 300BO however many years ago it was

Don't think I'll be a gen 1 adopter, but it's cool seeing a new cartridge enter the market and shooters take up the challenge of testing it across platforms and with different component combinations.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like perhaps a slight modification to the chamber dims is needed so we can easily convert "X brand" 6.5C or .308 brass without neck turning after the chop and trim/chamfer like how they sized 300BO to work with converted LC 5.56 cases....or at least I think I remember reading that about 300BO however many years ago it was

Don't think I'll be a gen 1 adopter, but it's cool seeing a new cartridge enter the market and shooters take up the challenge of testing it across platforms and with different component combinations.
View Quote

I don't think you're going to see a gen2 with different dimensions to match other cartridges' brass thicknesses.  When you chop a case and turn what used to be part of the body into the neck there are likely going to be variations (brand to brand especially).  If taking that approach I suspect neck turning will always be part of the game.  Hopefully enough native 8.6 brass gets out on the street in the coming months, but in the meantime it's nice for some folks to have the option of turning 6.5CM brass into 8.6.  I've personally never chopped brass and sized it to work for other cartridges though, so I could be full of it.  Maybe others who have will chime in on this topic...

You're right though, if it was as easy as turning 5.56 into 300blk cases it would make things a lot easier for folks to adopt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry....late to this party!!

8.6 Blackout Is A Game Changer

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpg1ZKVnNSM
View Quote

Been following the videos you've posted in your thread...good stuff.  Thanks for posting them.  Hopefully the 8.6 really takes off!

Link here for others who haven't seen that thread:
1st shots fired with the 8.6 Blackout
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't think you're going to see a gen2 with different dimensions to match other cartridges' brass thicknesses.  When you chop a case and turn what used to be part of the body into the neck there are likely going to be variations (brand to brand especially).  If taking that approach I suspect neck turning will always be part of the game.  Hopefully enough native 8.6 brass gets out on the street in the coming months, but in the meantime it's nice for some folks to have the option of turning 6.5CM brass into 8.6.  I've personally never chopped brass and sized it to work for other cartridges though, so I could be full of it.  Maybe others who have will chime in on this topic...

You're right though, if it was as easy as turning 5.56 into 300blk cases it would make things a lot easier for folks to adopt.
View Quote

That's why I'm wondering/hoping the industry does take heed. I don't chop 223 into 300BO any more, but did in the beginning when 300BO headstamped brass was few and far between.

I have so much once fired Hornady LR 6.5C brass that I'll probably never use in my 6.5C AR-10 that if they made a barrel with the chamber specifically cut for converted brass I'd consider jumping in for giggles. I already have .338 projectiles for my 338LM and 338 Spectre bolt guns, and plenty of different powders, so I'd just need a new upper receiver to drop a barrel into.

I guess time will tell if they take handloaders into account or if it stays niche with just a few ammo suppliers and limited brass offerings.

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
@caldeio
OK, I resized some brass today (Hornady Die Set) and the outside neck diameter after sizing was 0.355".  Hope this helps some.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Alright, here are some of the results from my hunt last weekend with the 350gr Rex expanding subsonics.  I got 6 hogs with these.  These two pics are good examples of the kinds of exit wounds I was seeing.  Pretty amazing.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Alright, here are some of the results from my hunt last weekend with the 350gr Rex expanding subsonics.  I got 6 hogs with these.  These two pics are good examples of the kinds of exit wounds I was seeing.  Pretty amazing.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/350_1_JPG-2462259.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/350_2_JPG-2462261.JPG
View Quote

Nice shooting. Looks like it wrecks pigs....
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#25]
They sure do!  

FYI, for those looking...Maker Bullets just updated their website to show the 350gr Rex Bullets in stock:
350gr Maker Rex Expanding Subsonic Bullets
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Still trying to get mine built. I bought an 8" barrel from Faxon. Who makes a rail short enough for that? I'm having a heck of time finding something.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Still trying to get mine built. I bought an 8" barrel from Faxon. Who makes a rail short enough for that? I'm having a heck of time finding something.
View Quote

Not sure what receiver setup you're building from but Faxon makes a short one (for the DPMS High Profile Uppers)...
Faxon 6.5" AR-10 Handguard
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not sure what receiver setup you're building from but Faxon makes a short one (for the DPMS High Profile Uppers)...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel pretty dumb. I checked Midway, Brownells, Primary Arms, Etc. Never thought to check Faxon's own website. Thanks for letting me know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I just happened to have been shopping around for parts recently back when I was contemplating doing an 8" build.  In the end the can I decided to start the process on recently is limited to 12" barrels though, and I couldn't justify another upper just to go from 16" to 12".  Going to 8" would have been a significantly smaller package...oh well, I think I am going to be mostly running subs anyway so it will be a bit quieter with the 16" that I have now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#30]
What buffer are y'all running? Mine will be exclusively suppressed/subsonic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#31]
H3 in an A5 length tube.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm using a JP Silent Captured Buffer Spring system.  Love it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm using a JP Silent Captured Buffer Spring system.  Love it.
View Quote

This is what I'm leaning as I run them in all my small frame guns. Which version/weight are you using?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice direct thread 1.375x24 suppressor mounts being made by Ecco. These are designed for the tapered muzzle as well.

Link with dropdown menu.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is what I'm leaning as I run them in all my small frame guns. Which version/weight are you using?
View Quote

@Outrider
Oh man...I have no idea.  Got it quite a while back and although I am sure I have the box I have no idea where to find it currently.  Would a pic of it help you identify???
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#36]
If you wanted to make a 12 inch pistol(no stock buffer tube with tailhook )  what buffer tube length and buffer  weight would you use?  
 I am having trouble finding an A5 or armalight length buffer tube in a stockless pistol buffer form??  
Do you think a KYN shot hydraulic would work?  

This seems like a tricky build to a newbie like me

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you wanted to make a 12 inch pistol(no stock buffer tube with tailhook )  what buffer tube length and buffer  weight would you use?  
 I am having trouble finding an A5 or armalight length buffer tube in a stockless pistol buffer form??  
Do you think a KYN shot hydraulic would work?  

This seems like a tricky build to a newbie like me

View Quote

VLTOR makes an A5 pistol tube.

Instock at Midway
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016389931
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#38]
thank you   now to decide on spring and buffer    

I wonder if I can use my old silencerco hybrid with this 12 inch beast
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#39]
ordered an .875 gas block from superlative arms  I guess the 12 inch pistol requires a straight gas tube  
heads up to anyone building one
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got a Faxon Overwatch in the mail along with some ammo, I'll post up range day info and gel tests asap when it arrives.

Taking it on a hunting trip back home to alaska at the end of the month as well
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#41]
spoke with silencerco today   They say they have no data on this round and cannot ok use in the hybrid can    In other words you are on your own if it has a problem.    Hopefully more suppressor manufacturers start experimenting with this round.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#42]
The H46 is rated for a 18 inch 338 LM.  Not sure what your concern for a cartridge that holds a 1/3 of the powder would be..
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure they'll have data soon. 338 Lapua is probably twice the powder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#44]
30ish grains to 90ish grains.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn. I didn't think it was that much less powder than 308 or the like.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have super sonic load data for the Barnes 225?  It looks like all the 210's have been sucked out of the market.

12" barrel.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpg1ZKVnNSM
View Quote

Thanks for the great videos and information.
I recently had this assembled by Windham Weaponry... waiting on the UPS guy to return it to me.

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks for the great videos and information.
I recently had this assembled by Windham Weaponry... waiting on the UPS guy to return it to me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4382/28662__1_-2588123.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  I think you're going to like it.  

I am hoping we will start to see brass showing up soon...
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#49]
I posted this over on Snipers Hide, but wanted to get input from the early adopters here as well.

I've followed 8.6BO off and on since it was announced. I like my 300BO AR and my 338S bolt gun is fun, so having an AR10 upper that could do the super/subs combo like the 300BO seemed like a good idea.

Why has the 1:3 twist been settled on? Seems like it's not needed for subs, as 338S can move subs just fine with 1:6-7 twist barrels, and the supers obviously don't require that fast of a twist rate to remain stable.

What "problem" is it solving while at the same time seeming to create real world issues like blowing apart cup and core projectiles?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]
If you listen to the Q podcasts they discuss it. They are trying to capture that rotational energy. When you go from 1:6 to 1:3 you might go from 200,000 rpm to 400,000 rpm or whatever. If the projectile can handle the extra spin it opens up faster. It's an interesting solution and I am really curious to see how it works out in the long run. With supersonics like the Barnes a lot of them wouldn't fully open at lower speeds and this is a way to address that. Same with a lot of the new dedicated subsonic bullets that can really open up.

I like the theory behind it all but only time will show if it turns out to work well. Kevin has actually built some 1:1 twist guns but it sounds like those need specialized projectiles. I've mentioned before that I think a lot of people miss the point or purpose of this round. He wanted something specialized that he didn't need to worry about mass adoption. He did a lot of the same type of tests with 300 Blackout but was constrained by the customer and parameters that were specified for that round. He saw the potential but had to build what was asked for. This round is his baby from the get go so he got to have total control which is a huge deal. He's also got the industry clout so he's got companies like Hornady helping him out and he's been talking about their 338 Sub X bullet I think it weighs 315gr or so. Pretty cool stuff. I also like the fact that he hunts with all these rounds a lot and shoots big animals with subsonic stuff which is something people are always looking for more info and experience on. I understand a lot of people hate him and I know he's earned a fair bit of it but I also know we wouldn't be where we are at with the whole subsonic market without him.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top