Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What "problem" is it solving while at the same time seeming to create real world issues like blowing apart cup and core projectiles?
View Quote

There is also this thing called spin drift.  Super fast rotation will cause a bullet to either climb or drop in a stiff cross wind, depending on direction.  I have seen this with even slower rotational forces than a 1:3 will provide.  I think it is fine for sub's but may cause issues with super's at longer distances.  Faster rotation does appear to have an effect on game relative to bulllet expansion, there are videos showing reaction of coyotes when shot with faster/slower spinning bullets, but it may also have a negative effect on accuracy and consistency depending on wind.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is also this thing called spin drift.  Super fast rotation will cause a bullet to either climb or drop in a stiff cross wind, depending on direction.  I have seen this with even slower rotational forces than a 1:3 will provide.  I think it is fine for sub's but may cause issues with super's at longer distances.  Faster rotation does appear to have an effect on game relative to bulllet expansion, there are videos showing reaction of coyotes when shot with faster/slower spinning bullets, but it may also have a negative effect on accuracy and consistency depending on wind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What "problem" is it solving while at the same time seeming to create real world issues like blowing apart cup and core projectiles?

Spin drift is absolutely a problem for long range stuff but this round isn't really made for long range. Kevin talked about it being a big issue with the 1:1 twist.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Spin drift is absolutely a problem for long range stuff but this round isn't really made for long range. Kevin talked about it being a big issue with the 1:1 twist.
View Quote

I never really saw it as a long range option, but there was a lot of talk about hunting out to 600 yards when the 8.6 surfaced.  All I can say is better have a good range finder and wind calls
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm about to go down this rabbit hole.  I'd appreciate seeing any/all pics you guys have for some inspiration.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently test fired my setup just to get a feel for sound and function. Pleased with how it ran, just need more ammo!

12" Faxon barrel with Rex can, Rearden muzzle device and Atlas mount
SLR Rail
Stag upper/LMT lower, JP SCS buffer

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recently test fired my setup just to get a feel for sound and function. Pleased with how it ran, just need more ammo!

12" Faxon barrel with Rex can, Rearden muzzle device and Atlas mount
SLR Rail
Stag upper/LMT lower, JP SCS buffer

https://i.imgur.com/7LnkSwv.jpg
View Quote

Nice.  I'm eyeballing an LMT lower as the basis for mine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice.  I'm eyeballing an LMT lower as the basis for mine.
View Quote

I bought the LMT lower and a Stag upper.  Is Faxon the only barrel manufacturer so far?
Can anyone give me a list of DPMS high rail manufacturers?  I'm not too crazy about the MI one.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bought the LMT lower and a Stag upper.  Is Faxon the only barrel manufacturer so far?
Can anyone give me a list of DPMS high rail manufacturers?  I'm not too crazy about the MI one.  Thanks.
View Quote

As a heads up I had to lightly file the pivot pin lug on my Stag upper to fit the LMT lower. I also used a longer pivot pin (from Battle Arms) as it didn't protrude enough to my liking. Mixing and matching in the large frame stuff can be a pain without a spec to adhere to.

I think Faxon is the major player right now. I would expect others to jump on board if the round gets popular. For rails: Noveske, SLR, Centurion, etc. You have a lot of options and price ranges.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m wondering if there is enough meat on the Faxon barrels for a rethread to something more common? I’m really interested in the round itself but I’d like to be able to put a QD mount and a can that I have already for now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m wondering if there is enough meat on the Faxon barrels for a rethread to something more common? I’m really interested in the round itself but I’d like to be able to put a QD mount and a can that I have already for now.
View Quote

Have one of your mounts re threaded maybe? Most people don't have 338 cans already so it's probably not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't plan on buying a suppressor for this gun so is there an A2ish flash hider available or are they all suppressor mouts?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't plan on buying a suppressor for this gun so is there an A2ish flash hider available or are they all suppressor mouts?
View Quote

Can I ask why you settled on this caliber? Planning to do both supers and subs?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love 300BLK and this is supposed to be its "big brother" so I decided to give it a try.  (I also LOVE to build guns)  I plan on shooting whatever is available right now.  There's not much.........  I currently have 40 rounds of subs on the way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I love 300BLK and this is supposed to be its "big brother" so I decided to give it a try.  (I also LOVE to build guns)  I plan on shooting whatever is available right now.  There's not much.........  I currently have 40 rounds of subs on the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are purpose built around suppressed use. If you aren't going to use a can 338 Federal or 358 Win or similar seem like a better direction for most.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#15]
For those that built their lower, what buffer setup (tube, spring, weight) are y'all using?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just order this Samson handguard for my 22 Creedmoor build using a high DPMS Upper Receiver.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For those that built their lower, what buffer setup (tube, spring, weight) are y'all using?
View Quote

I'm using a LMT tube with JP Silent Capture spring-lightest spring and weights.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Getting there

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Now to figure out an optic!

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Decided to try out an EOTECH VUDU.

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#21]

What do you think? The 1-10 has my curiosity. I have a 3-15 from them  on a bolt gun that I like.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What do you think? The 1-10 has my curiosity. I have a 3-15 from them  on a bolt gun that I like.
View Quote

I just got it mounted up so it hasn’t been to the range yet.  Hopefully I’ll have a chance to get out soon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't let it die!
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this can definitely be done. Most calibers can be covered with either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 threads. Manufacturers make up random thread pitches for 2 reasons. First, they think everyone is retarded (maybe rightfully so?) and will thread a muzzle device with too small of a bore, thread it on, and blow it up. Second, they use off the wall thread pitches so you are limited to any and all aftermarket from said company (cough Sig, Q).

Every barrel we make has either a 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 thread pitch, even 9mm and 45. We just hope our customers are smart enough to not try to shoot 45 through a .30 muzzle brake without boring it out first.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a 8 inch 8.6 barrel,  finally got my can (SilencerCo 46m) last month.

Did some subsonic testing this last weekend with 350 grain makers reloads of mine and factory Gorilla 285 fracturing ammo. The groups are 6 inch plus at 100 yards.  When I shoot Barnes TSX 210 supersonic unsuppressed  I group 2 inches or less .

Anyone else using a 8 inch barrel and seeing large groups with subsonic ammo?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 8 inch 8.6 barrel,  finally got my can (SilencerCo 46m) last month.

Did some subsonic testing this last weekend with 350 grain makers reloads of mine and factory Gorilla 285 fracturing ammo. The groups are 6 inch plus at 100 yards.  When I shoot Barnes TSX 210 supersonic unsuppressed  I group 2 inches or less .

Anyone else using a 8 inch barrel and seeing large groups with subsonic ammo?
View Quote

Are you shooting the sub's suppressed?  If so, you might want to also try the super's through that suppressor, or shoot the sub's unsuppressed to rule out that factor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I am shooting the sub sonic suppressed, as you mention I will try the supersonic suppressed since haven't done that yet. See what I come up with.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, 5 pages....

I recently observed a customer at a range I am a RSO in Etown (KY). He had a bolt gun suppressed and I watched the brass hit the ground. I picked it up for him, and read the head stamp, says 6.5CM, however the mouth was 30 caliber looking. He told me it was 8.6BO cut from 6.5CM with a 338 bullet. Like many here, I heard last year about this up and coming round. As custom AR builders, my son and I thought "Hell, we don't have one of these" so, February this year when I observed it firsthand being shot, I said why not. I also questioned the applicability of this round and came up with same as written here by many. Our driving factor was simple, "we don't have one", we have them in 223/5.56, 6.8SPC, 6.5CM, 243Win, 7.62x39, 308Win, 350L, 450BM, 458SOCOM and 50Beo.

I have an order of 100 rounds coming in tomorrow and also 50 to reload. I've cut and resized 100 pieces of 6.5CM brass and will begin testing loads in a couple days.

It's just another AR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#29]
So what is the status on hunting bullets as far as options that will reliably expand at the reduced velocities generated by the short case?  Supers and sub's?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Couple of the boutique copper guys have 338 bullets and I think I heard Kevin say Hornady is working on a Sub-X. Think it is supposed to be 300+ grains.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So what is the status on hunting bullets as far as options that will reliably expand at the reduced velocities generated by the short case?  Supers and sub's?
View Quote

Quoted:
Couple of the boutique copper guys have 338 bullets and I think I heard Kevin say Hornady is working on a Sub-X. Think it is supposed to be 300+ grains.
View Quote

Wasn't that the point of the 1:3 twist? Better expansion once a soft target was hit? Presumably that still requires a bullet designed to expand within the velocity window the cartridge can propel it.

Between this thread and the one on the Hide I think the 1:3 twist was a poor choice. I might get in on v2.0 if they make slower twist rates and chambers cut that are designed to work with converted brass akin to how 300BO was designed to accept converted LC without having to neck trim. Make it designed to work with converted Hornady 6.5C brass cut and sized to length and I might build an AR10 upper chambered in it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wasn't that the point of the 1:3 twist? Better expansion once a soft target was hit? Presumably that still requires a bullet designed to expand within the velocity window the cartridge can propel it.

Between this thread and the one on the Hide I think the 1:3 twist was a poor choice. I might get in on v2.0 if they make slower twist rates and chambers cut that are designed to work with converted brass akin to how 300BO was designed to accept converted LC without having to neck trim. Make it designed to work with converted Hornady 6.5C brass cut and sized to length and I might build an AR10 upper chambered in it.
View Quote

I am actually looking to build a short barreled bolt gun and thinking of doing a 7 or 8 twist.  A super fast twist can have a negative effect on super's, spin drift, etc, and a 7 or 8 is plenty fast for sub's.  Hence my curiousity about bullets that will perform at the reduced velocity, without the ridiculous spin.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Finding slower twist barrels will be easy because that’s what the vast majority of barrel makers do. If I remember the discussions correctly most of them can’t even go that fast on their normal barrel machines/tooling. Prettt sure Kevin had said he’s actually gone as fast as 1:1 in some tests.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

So does the converted brass not work now? I haven’t followed any of that. Brass seems to really loosening up so I bet you’ll see it fairly soon if the world doesn’t go crazy again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know of 2 people now (friends or friends of friends) that have blown up suppressors with cup&core bullets with 1:3" twist barrels.  Not thin jacketed match bullets, either...

It's like a 5-10% energy increase, but that energy increase can only be delivered to the target... well.. if the bullet makes it there for one... But also only if the bullet works within the envelope in which you've delivered it, and in my experience in gel testing 1:3" 8.6's and 1:5" .300 blackouts that excludes a pretty big selection of otherwise excellent terminally-performing bullets.  The faster twist destroys the jacket and actually makes terminal wound characteristics worse.  

A small performance gain to corner yourself into a very narrow market of very niche/expensive projectiles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So does the converted brass not work now? I haven’t followed any of that. Brass seems to really loosening up so I bet you’ll see it fairly soon if the world doesn’t go crazy again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hornady Creedmoor brass works without neck turning. It's the other brands that may have issues.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#37]
If you guys want a slower twist I'd recommend contacting Mos-Tek and let them know you are interested. A number of people, myself included, have been asking them to make 1:5 blanks. If there's enough potential demand, I think they'd do it. 1:5 seems like it would be a great balance of faster twist, but slow enough to allow cup and core bullets.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a big thread over on the Hide and folks are having to neck turn some headstamps of converted .308 and 6.5C brass. It's not consistent though, or at least I haven't paid close enough attention to see if any brand is 100% good or bad, but it's annoying in the wildcat game to have to 1. buy expensive and/or sporadically produced brass from an ammo/brass manufacturer, or 2. neck turn on converted brass to get it to chamber.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hornady Creedmoor brass works without neck turning. It's the other brands that may have issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm almost certain some have had issues with Hornady 6.5C brass, but the Hide thread is now 10 pages and 8 months long at this point and I haven't catalogued every success/failure post from it.

If Hornady 6.5C is the way to go that'd be awesome since it's all over the place.

ETA: I just went back to the Hide thread and doing a search for "Hornady" across all 10 pages makes it seem like Hornady 6.5C brass is the only one that hasn't needed neck turning after a rough cut, anneal, and trip through an 8.6 sizing die.

That makes this caliber a little more intriguing to me, as I have a 1gal ziploc bag full of Hornady 6.5C brass currently doing nothing...
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Finding slower twist barrels will be easy because that’s what the vast majority of barrel makers do. If I remember the discussions correctly most of them can’t even go that fast on their normal barrel machines/tooling. Prettt sure Kevin had said he’s actually gone as fast as 1:1 in some tests.
View Quote

The trouble might be getting someone to chamber said barrel.  I contacted McGowen and they won't do it.  I think it has to do with rights and reamer availability but they didn't elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There's a big thread over on the Hide and folks are having to neck turn some headstamps of converted .308 and 6.5C brass. It's not consistent though, or at least I haven't paid close enough attention to see if any brand is 100% good or bad, but it's annoying in the wildcat game to have to 1. buy expensive and/or sporadically produced brass from an ammo/brass manufacturer, or 2. neck turn on converted brass to get it to chamber.
View Quote

I was following a couple threads but like anything new they were popping up like mad and I lost track of them. I bet in time you'll see someone start commercially processing brass and selling it all it takes is the right profit margin.
Quoted:

The trouble might be getting someone to chamber said barrel.  I contacted McGowen and they won't do it.  I think it has to do with rights and reamer availability but they didn't elaborate.
View Quote

It might just be everyone backed up and no reamer availability. I do think it will all ease up and we will see some really cool builds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#42]
What BCG are you guys using, the high pressure bolt or the standard bolt?

https://ar15discounts.com/products/toolcraft-ar-10-308-6-5-creedmoor-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride/

Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What BCG are you guys using, the high pressure bolt or the standard bolt?

https://ar15discounts.com/products/toolcraft-ar-10-308-6-5-creedmoor-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride/

View Quote

I’m using the Toolcraft 6.5 high pressure bolt. I started with a regular 308 bolt but saw cratered primers. I’d stick with the HP bolt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#44]
This happened quite a bit today.  I was using a new 25 round PMAG.  Seemed like the mag spring couldn’t keep up with the speed of the BCG.  When I got down to the last 5 rounds or so it did ok.  Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it just because all the rounds were too heavy for the mag spring?

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This happened quite a bit today.  I was using a new 25 round PMAG.  Seemed like the mag spring couldn’t keep up with the speed of the BCG.  When I got down to the last 5 rounds or so it did ok.  Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it just because all the rounds were too heavy for the mag spring?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335460/2B6C29FC-C49C-4731-B8E5-E3FA377FD378-2731585.jpg
View Quote

Are you certain that the bolt was cycling back far enough to get behind the presenting cartridge?  Does the bolt lock back after last round?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Are you certain that the bolt was cycling back far enough to get behind the presenting cartridge?  Does the bolt lock back after last round?
View Quote

No, I’m not certain it was.  But since the last 5 rounds or so loaded properly I figured it was.  
No, it did not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, I’m not certain it was.  But since the last 5 rounds or so loaded properly I figured it was.  
No, it did not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it did not.

I'd try it with a single round in the mag a few times to see if you're getting LRBHO. If not, you might have the bolt just making it back far enough to pick up a round on a nearly empty mag, but the mag can't bring the next round up quick enough when it's full. It presents as a mag issue but is really a rifle issue. If you have an adjustable gas block I'd open it up 1-2 clicks at a time while firing with one round in the mag until you achieve LRBHO, then maybe open it one more for the sake of reliability on a cold, dry, and/or dirty gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd try it with a single round in the mag a few times to see if you're getting LRBHO. If not, you might have the bolt just making it back far enough to pick up a round on a nearly empty mag, but the mag can't bring the next round up quick enough when it's full. It presents as a mag issue but is really a rifle issue. If you have an adjustable gas block I'd open it up 1-2 clicks at a time while firing with one round in the mag until you achieve LRBHO, then maybe open it one more for the sake of reliability on a cold, dry, and/or dirty gun.
View Quote

I didn't use an AGB when I built it, thinking there'd be no need for it.  I can't remember exactly what buffer I used at the moment but would a lighter one also work?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, it did not.
View Quote

If it won't lock back on empty, it is likely undergassed or over-massed.  If it won't lock back on empty it more than likely won't consistently get behind the presenting cartridge either and you have a failure like you posted the pic of.  The bolt dragging the next round off the mag but not able to chamber it.  Try an empty buffer and see if it will lock back then.  If it runs 100% you can add weight back by mixing aluminum with steel weights.  Other option is to open up the gas port.  Does it have a standard recoil spring?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If it won't lock back on empty, it is likely undergassed or over-massed.  If it won't lock back on empty it more than likely won't consistently get behind the presenting cartridge either and you have a failure like you posted the pic of.  The bolt dragging the next round off the mag but not able to chamber it.  Try an empty buffer and see if it will lock back then.  If it runs 100% you can add weight back by mixing aluminum with steel weights.  Other option is to open up the gas port.  Does it have a standard recoil spring?
View Quote

I think I used a rifle buffer spring.
I'll try some different things with the buffer I guess.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top