User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stone-age:  Has anybody tried a Sig 320? It looks like the fire control housing thing is the important part that needs to be finished. Everything else is added to that. And that part is used to make a lot of different configurations. I looked at the 220 but it is expensive, labor intensive, and rare.
View Quote

There's an active cloning movement of the P250 & P320 FCS modules, as it's just a small piece of bent steel w/ holes drilled.  Parts add up to more than a complete factory new gun, however, but no SN.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
This is awesome, thanks!  I want to try doing a couple of these, so having this as a one-stop-shop for info is hugely helpful!
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:44:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

There's an active cloning movement of the P250 & P320 FCS modules, as it's just a small piece of bent steel w/ holes drilled.  Parts add up to more than a complete factory new gun, however, but no SN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:  Has anybody tried a Sig 320? It looks like the fire control housing thing is the important part that needs to be finished. Everything else is added to that. And that part is used to make a lot of different configurations. I looked at the 220 but it is expensive, labor intensive, and rare.

archived arfcom Sig P320 80% caveman thread

archived thread P320 JSD Supply MUP1
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't personally have any interest in that platform until it can take Glock mags, so am not tracking it.  Before Weaponeer closed, there were some posts on cloning the 250, and saw a 320 80% at the NRA show in Dallas a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#5]
Say a friend had 12 80% lowers to cut.  If he were to buy a new 5d tactical jig, router, kit, etc for what $450-$500.  After cutting a happy dozen pieces of pie, assuming he's not a moron, how much damage can be expected on the jig?  Like would the package be worth $300 or so on the open market or should I, I mean he, write off the value of the jig package?  

Short version, how many lowers can one expect to cut starting with a new jig before noticeable degradation?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15inmn] [#6]
The jig itself will hold up just fine, well past a dozen.  It’s the drill bushing that you need to be very careful with.
Use a drill press to drill the holes and it will help minimize any wear, but after 12 lowers you may begin to see some wear.
Use lube with the mill bits and they will last longer, I have seen 6+ lowers milled with the same bit before changing.
The price of the jigs have come down and you do see them on sale, today they were 20% off so resale may not be what you think but you never know what someone will pay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryKnoxFineBooks] [#7]
While this seems to be mainly jig discussion, here is some ghost gunner 3 experience:

Ordered in November of 2020 and arrived in October of 2021. I have run over 25 80% lowers through it and done clean up on another 15 and am still using the same bits. Bought the Defense Distributed code for some additional code for items I wanted to do. Goal from my end is to make clones of military lowers as close to the real thing as the law allows.

Forgings were chosen to replicate as closely as possible the style of forging in use at time of military production. The Nodak AH, other Cerro and AH forgings used from suppliers such as Right to Bear, Daytona Tactical, and Modulus.

First task, mill out FCG pocket (the code allows for AR15 or M16 cut) and rear take down area - time almost one hour. I did the selector and trigger/hammer holes with jig and drill press as it takes more time to set up the cut with the GG3 than it is worth for less than a minute of drill press time.

Attachment Attached File

Engraving - I have a friend in the jewelry business with a laser engraver - takes about an hour. Also had engraving done with traditional cut. For the most part, the traditional engraving turns out not close enough to the size used on .mil weapons. For reference, text height of 3mm on the magwell text, and 2.5mm on the FCG sides seem to come out the closest. Font is Helvetica Condensed Bold for most of the type, and Helvetica Bold for SAFE / SEMI / AUTO or BURST.

Attachment Attached File

Then I wanted Type 3 hardcoat anodizing. This requires temps in a cold room not typically available at home, so a local business that does that (sadly no FFL so have to walk in and schedule) did the work for me:

Attachment Attached File

Example of completed work:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:
While this seems to be mainly jig discussion, here is some ghost gunner 3 experience:

Ordered in November of 2020 and arrived in October of 2021. I have run over 25 80% lowers through it and done clean up on another 15 and am still using the same bits. Bough the Defense Distributed code for some additional code for items I wanted to do. Goal from my end is to make clones of military lowers as close to the real thing as the law allows.

Forgings were chosen to replicate as closely as possible the style of forging in use at time of military production. The Nodak AH, other Cerro and AH forgings used from suppliers such as Right to Bear, Daytona Tactical, and Modulus.

First task, mill out FCG pocket (the code allows for AR15 or M16 cut) and rear take down area - time almost one hour.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/GG3_jpg-2290428.JPG

Engraving - I have a friend in the jewelry business with a laser engraver - takes about an hour. Also had engraving done with traditional cut. For the most part, the traditional engraving turns out not close enough to the size used on .mil weapons. For reference, text height of 3mm on the magwell text, and 2.5mm on the FCG sides seem to come out the closest. Font is Helvetica Condensed Bold for most of the type, and Helvetica Bold for SAFE / SEMI / AUTO or BURST.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/ghostguns_jpg-2290436.JPG

Then I wanted Type 3 hardcoat anodizing. This requires temps in a cold room not typically available at home, so a local business that does that (sadly no FFL so have to walk in and schedule) did the work for me:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/batch1_jpg-2290438.JPG

Example of completed work:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/Colt_A4_jpg-2290439.JPG
View Quote
awesome post!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:

View Quote

@HenryKnoxFineBooks
does the local business you mentioned for anodizing, do they take mail-in unmolested 80% lowers for anodizing?  looks like they did an outstanding job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

@HenryKnoxFineBooks
does the local business you mentioned for anodizing, do they take mail-in unmolested 80% lowers for anodizing?  looks like they did an outstanding job.
View Quote

I'll ask as I will be visiting them in the next few days with my next batch. Might IM me as I may forget about this thread.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#11]
So I’m late to the party. All this talk about banning them makes me want to make atleast ONE. Just to have … we’ll just because.

Basically looking for the cheapest metal lower plus jig.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#12]
nvm
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a couple of 80% lowers from Daytona Tactical just to have & found out that most of their stock is gone. With the way things are going, restocking might not be something they do till Joe is out of office.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I read over the link on borrowing equipment Legality of borrowing equipment for completing "80%" lowers. and as far as I can tell it is very specifically referring to businesses. Is that right? Is it legal for one guy to loan another guy his jig to finish a lower? It looks legal to me. Or is there something else I'm missing? The language in the link talks about stuff like charging a fee and using cnc equipment.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hello I am new to the forum. I am trying to purchase complete or build a 350 legend side charger with an 18 inch barrel. Not having any luck from the major manufacturers. Looking to use it for deer hunting. The idea is to be able to poke out a little further than my 12 gauge. Anyone have any advise or can point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Oscoda:  Hello I am new to the forum. I am trying to purchase complete or build a 350 legend side charger with an 18 inch barrel. Not having any luck from the major manufacturers. Looking to use it for deer hunting. The idea is to be able to poke out a little further than my 12 gauge. Anyone have any advise or can point me in the right direction?
View Quote

This is not the thread you're looking for.  Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Oscoda:
Hello I am new to the forum. I am trying to purchase complete or build a 350 legend side charger with an 18 inch barrel. Not having any luck from the major manufacturers. Looking to use it for deer hunting. The idea is to be able to poke out a little further than my 12 gauge. Anyone have any advise or can point me in the right direction?
View Quote

@Oscoda
welcome to Arfcomdom.
you probably want to be posting in the AR Variants sub-forum.

Arfcom AR Variants sub-forum
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]
So I’m just now starting my first 80. I have access to mill and just bought my first two lowers. I need a jig, I thought that it would be something I could go with out, but I think I might of bitten off more than I could chew. I started looking into the price and holy freaking cow those are insane for a jig. After I spent the past 4 days finding one that was affordable, I realized that they don’t have them in stock anymore. The only ones I could find are either replacement parts or the 300+ kits.

I’m pretty desperate here any help would be appreciated

Another thing I’ve been considering is just making my own jig. But I don’t have a reference for it so maybe if someone’s willing to spend some time on zoom or FaceTime, I could just pull dimensions and Measurements off of a used one and fabricate one. I run a cnc laser so I could cut out the plates/holes and take it to the mill for the side plate holders.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Just search online for AR lower dimensions.  Compare a few, there have been attempts to seed false dimensions on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaAKM] [#21]
I bought a couple of 80% lowers from Daytona Tactical just to have & found out that most of their stock is gone. With the way things are going, restocking might not be something they do till Joe is out of office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't buy anything from Daytona Tactical as even the BBB has multitudes of complaints against them. If you do get anything, check closely as the specs are off in many ways.

If you do still want quality 80% lowers for an AR, try Tactical Machining in the same area with great pricing, quick shipping, high quality items & service to back it all up. If your not happy with something, they will replace it or refund your money. Where can you go wrong with that?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
@Paranoid_Libertarian
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Just search online for AR lower dimensions.  Compare a few, there have been attempts to seed false dimensions on the internet.
View Quote
backbencher is entirely correct!

Some drawings you find are deliberately incorrect. Some, on the other hand, were changed in very small ways for what I would gather is to avoid an ITAR violation. Then, there was the version that was the Colt 1970 version, but with revisions up to the A2. Wow. Our previous generation was High!!!

Some of the engineer drawings and blue prints I've seen from days long since gone are wild. Maybe it was done because of businesses spying on each other: only your machine shop had the correct secret decoder ring setting!

If you have a lower where everything fits well, and its not too sloppy, use that one for comparisons as to what you may find on the web.
Don't fall in love with mil-spec or mil-std. I know it's a great bragging point, but it's also something written to help a favored contractor win a contract. If it works, copy it!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FloridaAKM:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't buy anything from Daytona Tactical as even the BBB has multitudes of complaints against them. If you do get anything, check closely as the specs are off in many ways.

If you do still want quality 80% lowers for an AR, try Tactical Machining in the same area with great pricing, quick shipping, high quality items & service to back it all up. If your not happy with something, they will replace it or refund your money. Where can you go wrong with that?
View Quote

.. i had ordered from daytona last year, but everything came in safe and sound.  Other one i use is durkin tactical.  Good prices and pretty prompt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SailorJ:
If you're looking for good prices on some 80% lowers, ours will be hard to beat. We've got a lot of different options such as caliber, finish, color and original engravings as well.

RTB 80% lowers
View Quote

Back in the day I bought nothing but Tactical Machining.  Never an issue.  Then I went through a cycle of nearly any company offering them near an ffl lower price.  A LOT of junk out there.   All I buy now is RTB (the engraving options are a nice touch) and Anderson when I find them on the cheap.  I did receive a batch of Andersons missing the bolt catch spring/detent hole, while I didn't care, just an extra op while clamped in the mill, I can see why router jig guys were disappointed.  It's an easy fix even with a hand held drill, but QC disappoints.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

Back in the day I bought nothing but Tactical Machining.  Never an issue.  Then I went through a cycle of nearly any company offering them near an ffl lower price.  A LOT of junk out there.   All I buy now is RTB (the engraving options are a nice touch) and Anderson when I find them on the cheap.  I did receive a batch of Andersons missing the bolt catch spring/detent hole, while I didn't care, just an extra op while clamped in the mill, I can see why router jig guys were disappointed.  It's an easy fix even with a hand held drill, but QC disappoints.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SailorJ:  If you're looking for good prices on some 80% lowers, ours will be hard to beat. We've got a lot of different options such as caliber, finish, color and original engravings as well.

RTB 80% lowers

That's not an ongoing QC issue.  That was a QC issue at the time Anderson submitted their non-gun sample submission to ATF, and they forgot to drill the bolt catch rollpin hole before hand.  ATF approved it as is, so that's the pattern Anderson is stuck w/ for their 80%.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]

That's not an ongoing QC issue.  That was a QC issue at the time Anderson submitted their non-gun sample submission to ATF, and they forgot to drill the bolt catch rollpin hole before hand.  ATF approved it as is, so that's the pattern Anderson is stuck w/ for their 80%.  
View Quote

Wait, this is still happening?  Due to the approval?  All of the Andersons I've purchased in the last year of so (the anodized ones in the blister packs) are drilled correctly.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Wait, this is still happening?  Due to the approval?  All of the Andersons I've purchased in the last year of so (the anodized ones in the blister packs) are drilled correctly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  That's not an ongoing QC issue.  That was a QC issue at the time Anderson submitted their non-gun sample submission to ATF, and they forgot to drill the bolt catch rollpin hole before hand.  ATF approved it as is, so that's the pattern Anderson is stuck w/ for their 80%.  

Perhaps not.  That's good news then.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top