BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking for a pelican case to lock an SBR in.  If I threw in some dessicant packets, would this be feasible?
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Stainless:
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/AwesomeCase.jpg

I take it this is custom foam. I didnt see it on pelicans site. How was it made?
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Pelican cases are not for storing weapons.  They are only for transport.  Buy a safe.

Originally Posted By badfish274:
I'm looking for a pelican case to lock an SBR in.  If I threw in some dessicant packets, would this be feasible?
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 3:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By clasky:
Pelican cases are not for storing weapons.  They are only for transport.  Buy a safe.

Originally Posted By badfish274:

Not everyone can afford a safe right away.  If someone doesn't have small children, I see no problem with storing a firearm in a pelican case.  

I'm currently saving for my own safe, and my AR is leaning against the wall inside the closet...but then, my daughter is only a month old.  I'm sure before she takes her first step I'll have the safe set up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering if anyone had ever ordered a custom pelican? My idea, inspired by the general mechanics tool kits we have in the army is a pelican that has a drawer that lifts out the top so you can layer about 3 or 4 of them in a 370 if the weapons are broken down or maybe do the same thing in a case with differeant dimmensions. I have several pelicans but when i goto the range I’d rather carry one out to the car instead of making 4 trips.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
What is wrong with using a Pelican case for storage?  Is it a rusting issue or is the safety issue?
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By RaptorMike:
What is wrong with using a Pelican case for storage?  Is it a rusting issue or is the safety issue?

I've seen it happen and it can happen QUICK.  Buddy of mine lost a brand new muzzleloader by keeping it in a locked hard plastic case.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi! This is my first post here. This thread inspired me to get a pelican 1750. It was a lot easier than I thought. Below are the pics of my consecutive serial number Colt model 6520s in their new  home.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Slipgate,

Wow great post, and damn you for making me now have to go get two 6520's and a pelican.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I am going to start working on my case today.  Did you only cut through the one layer of foam?  Also if using a razor knife did you do anything to the foam to make it stiffer for cutting and marking?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Originally Posted By WING25C:
I am going to start working on my case today.  Did you only cut through the one layer of foam?  Also if using a razor knife did you do anything to the foam to make it stiffer for cutting and marking?

Thanks

I just cut through the center layer. The bottom layer gets carved out about 1/2 the thickness though if you want to put the magazines sideways as I have done.

I did not try at all with a razor. With an electric knife, it cuts like butter, is easy to control, and makes a nice edge. I did nothing to make the foam stiffer but some people put it in a freezer. I cut the first one inside the sharpie lines and had to trim a bit, but the second AR I just cut all of the sharpie lines away and the gun fit perfect the first time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 5:23:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Systema PTW?
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By beemerphile:

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:
No, dont store guns in the cases.

What is the issue, moisture or is it volatiles emitted by the foam?  I'd like to use a Pelican case for long-term storage.  Would the addition of sufficient dessicant render it safe for long-term storage?  Otherwise, (but more trouble) I could rig it with fittings for a nitrogen purge and store it under slight positive pressure.  Hell, for that matter I could store it in argon.  Got to be a way to do this!

I did this for 2 years once and had no issues.  My guns were clean and well lubed when they went into cases for 2 year storage.  When I pulled them out at the end, they were fine.  Before I had my safe, I always stored like this.  I just kept them wiped down, at least bi annually with CLP or the like.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 12:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LOS] [#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
How secure is the eggcrate foam?  Does it hold everything exactly where you put it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I am currently using a Pelican 1720 and a Starlite 38" for primary storage. Both are have double keyed alike locks. A safe is on the list of items to buy next.

When I make it back home on vacation I'll snap a few pictures and contribute to the thread.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are worries about moisture in your case throw some dessicants in there. Put a dessicant pack in the magwell and that should keep the receivers bone dry. Make sure after cleaning the bore you pass an oiled patch or bore mop through it before putting it away. Keep everything wiped down with oil and you won't have a problem.

You can get dessicants from a commercial distributor like Grainger or from a packaging company. Some gun shops might even sell dessicants for safes etc.

Personally I keep every dessicant pack I pull out of every package I purchase. Those little preforated 'silica gel' packs that came with your camera, ps3, and that new rifle scope are all moisture absorbers. Put at least one or two in every gun case you have.

The other factor is where are you storing your case? If its in a shed in the side of the house, stowed up in the attic or in your garage its going to be exposed to way more moisture than what would be encountered in your bedroom or closet. If you are knowingly stowing your rifles in those environments and in a case you would absolutely need dessicants to keep things safe.

Taking your case from one environment to another is another way to intoduce moisture to your case. For example, you pull your pelican out of your house early in the morning which is 68F inside. It stays in the bed of your pickup truck for 5 minutes while you grab some other stuff. The outdoor temp is something like 79F. The temperature change on the surface of your case causes condensation to form on it, or possibly in it. This can also happen in the reverse scenario, if you had a warm gun and case and stuffed it in a cool environment, it could also cause a condensate to form as the surfaces cool off.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I used desiccants in mine as I lived in Florida when I made it.  I cut out channels underneath so the desiccants could absorb moisture from near the action...

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Originally Posted By Powder_Burns:
If you are worries about moisture in your case throw some dessicants in there. Put a dessicant pack in the magwell and that should keep the receivers bone dry. Make sure after cleaning the bore you pass an oiled patch or bore mop through it before putting it away. Keep everything wiped down with oil and you won't have a problem.

You can get dessicants from a commercial distributor like Grainger or from a packaging company. Some gun shops might even sell dessicants for safes etc.

Personally I keep every dessicant pack I pull out of every package I purchase. Those little preforated 'silica gel' packs that came with your camera, ps3, and that new rifle scope are all moisture absorbers. Put at least one or two in every gun case you have.

The other factor is where are you storing your case? If its in a shed in the side of the house, stowed up in the attic or in your garage its going to be exposed to way more moisture than what would be encountered in your bedroom or closet. If you are knowingly stowing your rifles in those environments and in a case you would absolutely need dessicants to keep things safe.

note desiccant will absorb moister until saturated and will then stop doing anything.  They must be "recharged" my putting the pack in the oven to get the moister out. Some packs change color so you know when to recharge.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]
With a couple desiccant's would storage in a boat / marine environment be safe? No room for a real gun safe and I need something that is lockable and won't sink to the bottom if the boat sinks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagged
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is my lstest Pelican Case set up.  I call it my "Twin-Pack SBR Bug-Out Case".  I am about to do a smaller Pelican case that will hold 30 or 40 loaded Pmags.

MadDog

Link Posted: 6/24/2008 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine today from this guy, super price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1750-Case-Black-New_W0QQitemZ220249525298QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220249525298&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By MadDogDan:
Here is my lstest Pelican Case set up.  I call it my "Twin-Pack SBR Bug-Out Case".  I am about to do a smaller Pelican case that will hold 30 or 40 loaded Pmags.

MadDog

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl007.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl011.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl012.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl020.jpg

Very nice!!  

Seeing shit like that makes me want to leave Hawaii so I can get them cool SBRs and suppressors.   Oh well, at least I can play w/ my dept. SBRs.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know where to get replacement foam for a decent price, I only need the middle piece after buying a pre-cut one on the super cheap....I know Pel sells all 3 inserts, but it's expensive.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump because I'm thinking of getting one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#28]
THAT IS AMAZING  
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#29]
what's a decent electric knife ? I've seen some cheap ones on ebay ..thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Docsprague:
I have a Pelican 1750 with no foam, just got it used, and I order new foam for it.  I would like to see some pics on how everyone sets them up, not that it is rocket science, but ideas such as how to cut slots for mags would be great.

EDIT:  This thing is still going after a year, can we get it tacked.

I have a 1400...no guns but NV stuff...i used the pick and pluck, was very carfull to make everything fit...so far its holding up very well (the foam that is, the case will hold up no matter what)

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is my Pelican

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By exocet:
what's a decent electric knife ? I've seen some cheap ones on ebay ..thanks.

well I ordered a new black & Decker one for $8 on ebay
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:18:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Followthehollow] [#33]

And of course the parts list

AR #1
RRA Lower
CMMG 14.7" pinned barrel on a RRA upper
Gemtech HALO
Magpul CTR
Magpul MIAD
Streamlight TLR 1
Troy FF Rail
Tango Down VFG
Troy BUIS
Eotech
YHM Riser
Vickers Blue Force Sling

AR# 2
Complete LMT 16"
Sopmod
Ergo Grip
ACOG TA31F
Larue LT-100 mount
Troy BUIS

Misc
6x 30 rounders. Loaded with either 5.56 Tap or Black Hills 77gr
3x 20 rounders loaded with XM193
USP Tactial W/ 5 mags
YHM Cobra .45
my toes

Sumbitch is heavy too...

Link Posted: 7/29/2008 3:07:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTaco] [#34]
btt
(I spent over an hr looking for this thread)
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By BlackTaco:
btt
(I spent over an hr looking for this thread)

And only had to look at two sets of bare feet.

wtf people?  Spend all your shoe money on foam?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By MadDogDan:

MadDog

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl007.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl011.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl012.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBRbbl020.jpg

alot of money in that little case! I have the same one and love it
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 8:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlCrow] [#37]
Finally got around to cutting new foam for my Storm im3300 case. The LMT is happy in there and will be going for a ride in it this weekend. I got lucky and found the case at a flea market for $30 about a month ago.

Strange how the camera makes the case look curved, it's straight.

Sorry...I cropped my toes from the picture.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump because I am looking for a case for my M4 replica. Looking at storm 3100 or Pelican 1700.

Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Check all 10 pages of this thread and you will see plenty of pelican 1700 cases.  No need to bump it.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Bump to keep it out of the archives... And also to see if someone can answer this question...

I'm thinking about buying the 1700, and was wondering if it's possible to fit 2 AR's in there?

1 AR is a flat top with an ACOG on top, 16" bbl, VLTOR enhanced mod. The 2nd AR is also a flat top with an Aimpoint on an ARMS cantilever mount and a LMT sopmod stock. I keep looking at the 1700's that are posted on here and it looks like I can fit 2 AR's in there. 1 on top w/o a mag and the other flipped and pointing the other direction w/o a mag. Can someone please clarify this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 10:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KAC-SR15Match] [#42]
Here's my LRB lower / Colt upper in a Pelican 1700.

Not a Pelican but my SR15 in a Starlight case. Super tough and in my opinion just as tough if not better than Pelican. my .02¢

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By M4A1OwnsYou:
How secure is the eggcrate foam?  Does it hold everything exactly where you put it?

Yes, stuff doesn't move at all, period.  

My Pelican's are 100% eggcrate, I think it's underrated, and way undermarketed.  Can't find em on ebay at all.  The foam is very high density, and truly interlocks, keeping stuff completely static.  If you're thinking of that horrible joke of a case that Bushmaster so generously includes with their rifles, this is not that.   Just ordered another 1700 with eggcrate for my M4gery.  When it shows I can burn that Bushy case.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
RRA Elite Comp
A.R.M.S. #40 L-P
Trijicon TA31DOC
TA 11 Wing Mount
TA90 Flip Caps
TA91 Killflash
A.R.M.S. #19 LD
PMAGS - LULA
Surefire 6P Defender Malkoff LED
VLTOR Offset Mount
Surefire battery holder
Grip Pod GPS-02
UDC Sling

Not too bad for my first try! Remember it is ok to make the cutouts for the objects a little small.

Link Posted: 11/24/2008 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
okay pelican gurus. which case will work with ak mags? the 1200?
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I am not trying to advertise here, and am not affiliated with them at all, but I get my Pelicans from Boss Safety, and I cannot find them anywhere else cheaper..  1700 for $154.15, just a thought.     www.boss-safety.com
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#47]
bought my 1720 from Kinequip. $164.08 down the street from me.

www.kinequip.com
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#50]
There is a guy selling the Pelican 1750 on Ebay right now for a staring bid of $100 or buy it now for $125.00. I bought 2 of them. They arrived in 2 days, brand new with foam.
Page / 19
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top