Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2020 3:06:29 PM EDT
I am looking for a premium upper.  I am stuck between an LMT MRP CQB trade in upper for 675 or Daniel Defense mid-length stripped upper for 450.  What says the hive?  I think I am leaning towards the LMT.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Having both, I find myself taking the DD out to play more than the LMT.

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be a 2 second decision for me.

No doubt LMT MRP.  Nothing like it.  The LMT MARS MLR 14.5" with E-BCG is the finest rifle made imho.   After that I'd get a SR-15 Mod 2.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No doubt LMT MRP.  Nothing like it.  The LMT MARS MLR 14.5" with E-BCG is the finest rifle made imho.   After that I'd get a SR-15 Mod 2.
View Quote
This^^^^
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now the problem with that is there is no BCG or CH.  I don't mind buying it and buying a premium lower for it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.recoilgunworks.com/upper-receiver-p-53066.html

This is the one I was looking at.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Why does LMT seem to like exposed gas blocks?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a rifle length MRP with 16" barrel on a MARS-L. Great rifle, but it's a pig. I'm sure the CQB is a little better on weight. Don't shoot it much since getting into pistols/SBR's, but it shoots great. Very accurate. My only issue with the MRP is proprietary barrel. Other then that they're great. I've also owned a couple of DD's and always liked them. Hard to go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I love both my DD very accurate guns.

Can’t go wrong with LMT either. Tough choice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why does LMT seem to like exposed gas blocks?
View Quote
I imagine it's necessary due to the length of the rail and gas system. Side benefits are that it keeps the heat from the gas block out of the handguard and, if you're using their MLOK upper, it doesn't get in the way of accessory screws.

Haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the gas block thus far, so I don't personally mind it. On the CQB models it looks pretty slick IMO.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Lmt
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Went with the LMT.  Opinions on BCG and CH.  Was looking at BCM or LMT
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Congrats!  I've own MRPs for more than a decade, and I keep buying them.

I own both LMT, and BCM standard F/A BCGs.   Both of them have yet to fail after thousands of rounds.  I wouldn't hesitate to get either.

That said, if you have the opportunity to get the LMT E-BCG, then I would grab that one as it trumps all others imho.

For CHs....I really like the Geissele ACH, or now the even less obtrusive Government CH they offer.  Raptors are also great CHs.  Given how often these two are on sale, and how proven they are in the field, I see no reason to go with anything else.

Now if you have an all LMT rifle, then I might look into getting their ambi CH.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I own both LMT, and BCM standard F/A BCGs.   Both of them have yet to fail after thousands of rounds.  I wouldn't hesitate to get either.

That said, if you have the opportunity to get the LMT E-BCG, then I would grab that one as it trumps all others imho.

For CHs....I really like the Geissele ACH, or now the even less obtrusive Government CH they offer.  Raptors are also great CHs.  Given how often these two are on sale, and how proven they are in the field, I see no reason to go with anything else.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its basically the upper without the CH and BCG.  Just ordered a BCM CH on sale, go with the BCM BCG I believe.  Then I need to get a lower, I like the BCM's but they're 350 dollars.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Pair it with an LMT lower. Either a standard Defender lower or a MARS-L if you want the ambi goodness.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pair it with an LMT lower. Either a standard Defender lower or a MARS-L if you want the ambi goodness.
View Quote
Where can I get one for the best price?  What am I looking at dropping for a defender lower?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want to buy a standard BCG I'd probably just go the toolcraft route, it's about half the price.

I've heard v1tactical is good to deal with if you're buying LMT products, I'd get the MARS-L stripped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where can I get one for the best price?  What am I looking at dropping for a defender lower?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tombstone Tactical has the Defender model in stock now for $119:  https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/lmt/lmp149h-defender-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver/
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
V1tactical.com

Great prices and fast delivery.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you want to buy a standard BCG I'd probably just go the toolcraft route, it's about half the price.

I've heard v1tactical is good to deal with if you're buying LMT products, I'd get the MARS-L stripped.
View Quote
Ok, toolcraft for the BCG sounds good to me.  Stripped defender lower from that site you gave is the cheapest I found.  Thinking BCM enhanced LPK for the lower.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
My next rifle will be LMT CQB with 14.5 barrel, enhanced auto BCG and MARS lower. It won’t be cheap, but it will be what I want. I have a DD 14.5 barrel on the work bench right now, but that is for a different build.

It is an expensive passion
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My next rifle will be LMT CQB with 14.5 barrel, enhanced auto BCG and MARS lower. It won’t be cheap, but it will be what I want. I have a DD 14.5 barrel on the work bench right now, but that is for a different build.

View Quote
I hear ya, I want to take a class or two in the upcoming year and wanted a factory built upper.  For the price I had to get it.  I need to get everything else but I am going premium on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. The exact route I decided to go. LMT is just as reliable, well built, well designed (I would argue better designed than SR15) and has just as durable of a bolt as a KAC SR15; Except, you don't have to deal with the proprietary small parts of the KAC. Both have proprietary barrels, so that's a wash but the proprietary nature of the LMT upper is a large upgrade over the URX4. Easy decision.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I have both and the DD is much more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This. The exact route I decided to go. LMT is just as reliable, well built, well designed (I would argue better designed than SR15) and has just as durable of a bolt as a KAC SR15; Except, you don't have to deal with the proprietary small parts of the KAC. Both have proprietary barrels, so that's a wash but the proprietary nature of the LMT upper is a large upgrade over the URX4. Easy decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are saying the LMT competes with the SR15? They aren’t even close. LMT makes a great rifle but the KAC is king of the hill in all categories.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
A DD 14.5" mid pencil profile barrel I own is truly a tack driver.   Incredible performance from a pencil CL barrel.

Your build is going to be extremely awesome!

It'll last forever likely as well.  Just get a spare barrel, and plan on passing along through the generations
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are saying the LMT competes with the SR15? They aren’t even close. LMT makes a great rifle but the KAC is king of the hill in all categories.
View Quote
Disagree, and by in large I only spend my money with LMT, and KAC.

The Mod 2 is an amazing rifle, and so is the MARS MLR/MLC with EBCG.   Two totally different proprietary magic tifles, but equally as awesome, and unique in the market.

The two companies are so much alike they could be essentially one as well after all I've learned about the two, and there connections.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to thank you guys for the helpful responses.  I feel like I made the right decision going with the LMT.  It doesn't come with the BCG but i'll piece it together az funds become available.  I want to see if my LGS can compete with online vendors for lower prices for a defender lower.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A DD 14.5" mid pencil profile barrel I own is truly a tack driver.   Incredible performance from a pencil CL barrel.

Your build is going to be extremely awesome!

It'll last forever likely as well.  Just get a spare barrel, and plan on passing along through the generations
View Quote
I hate pencil barrels a
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got a DD M4300 SBR.  I've also just finished putting together an LMT rifle based on an MRP upper I got back when Brownells had them on sale for about 1/2 the normal price.  Got a MARS lower for it, but didn't spring for the LMT enhanced Bolt or trigger.  I just went with a LaRue, and and nickel boron BCG.  I'd already shot the MRP upper on another lower, and was pleased with the accuracy from a 16 in Chrome lined.  When pricing is comparible, I'll take LMT over DD.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hate pencil barrels a
View Quote
Well then, just disregard all the other stuff I posted then
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am looking for a premium upper.  I am stuck between an LMT MRP CQB trade in upper for 675 or Daniel Defense mid-length stripped upper for 450.  What says the hive?  I think I am leaning towards the LMT.
View Quote
LMT without question. LMT is the big leagues, lil danny is wiffle ball in comparison. The only thing premium about dd is their unjustified pricing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LMT without question. LMT is the big leagues, lil danny is wiffle ball in comparison. The only thing premium about dd is their unjustified pricing.
View Quote
I have to disagree, I think the LMT is a better rifle, but DD has some good rifles also....

I really like my DD's, but in a real world situation, I will grab my LMT MRP CQB first

Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]
My lmt no doubts when I pick it up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just an FYI the one I received was new and didn’t appear to be a trade in. A good deal for 675.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I have both and it depends on your uses.

My Daniel Defense DDM4V5 is probably my favorite rifle upper.

My LMT MRP CQB with 16 inch barrel is my second favorite rifle upper (and with a 10.5 inch barrel it is my favorite pistol upper).

My LMT MRP Rifle Length is my third favorite rifle upper.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#36]
675 is a good price even without the BCG or charging handle. You did well. I'm an LMT MRP fan though, so I'm biased .

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
LMT is bomb proof.  Mr. Lewis has forgotten more than the collective knowledge at DD
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a few LMT rifles and pistol configurations and a few DD- 11.5, 16, and a few 18s- and they are about on par with one another I would say.  Comparing my 11.5 LMT to the 11.5 DD believe it or not the LMT is a smoother shooting gun.  I think it is a myth that LMTs are way overgassed.  I run them both with Geiselle Super 42 buffers and the LMT is a bit nicer to shoot.  The 16" DD and 16" LMT is close but the DD here wins for me.  The DD is much lighter and believe it or not more accurate.  But the 18 DD Pros I have are amazing in every way!  So accurate people would not believe me.  It is almost tie in accuracy to my JP SCR rifle I have!  Either one is a great rifle/pistol.  I like you can swap the barrel out in literally less than two minutes.  So, that is pretty handy to have!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. Been there, done that.

The LMT platform is just as good as the KAC SR platform, if not better depending what your priorities are. Muh E3 bolt? Get a LMT enhanced bolt. Never been broken outside of factory testing and will last as long as a E3 bolt without being proprietary nor having to pay $140 for a proprietary field repair kit. Muh gas system? Yeah you won't have the KAC gas system, but you trade that off to get a monolithic one piece upper with quick change barrels + more caliber offerings than what KAC offers. In addition, the LMT ambi lower is better than the KAC ambi lower. Not to mention, the LMT is more proven in the real world than the SR15. Other than gas system and roll mark, the KAC offers nothing over the LMT.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The LMT platform is just as good as the KAC SR platform, if not better depending what your priorities are. Muh E3 bolt? Get a LMT enhanced bolt. Never been broken outside of factory testing and will last as long as a E3 bolt without being proprietary nor having to pay $140 for a proprietary field repair kit. Muh gas system? Yeah you won't have the KAC gas system, but you trade that off to get a monolithic one piece upper with quick change barrels + more caliber offerings than what KAC offers. In addition, the LMT ambi lower is better than the KAC ambi lower. Not to mention, the LMT is more proven in the real world than the SR15. Other than gas system and roll mark, the KAC offers nothing over the LMT.
View Quote
Even the gas system is improved over standard offerings with the straight gas tube and 45 degree gas port to help emliminate errosion and gas changes over time and round counts. Part of me wants a KAC just to have one and be cool, but I agree that I actually overall prefer the benefits of the MRP. No I've never owned a KAC, but I could have and choose LMT. I use the enhanced bolt in one of my rifles, but being able to slap any old bolt in there was a plus in my book. Also using the LMT torque wrench, I found after removing the barrel and reinstalling it actually does return to zero very well, which not many other systems do well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Even the gas system is improved over standard offerings with the straight gas tube and 45 degree gas port to help emliminate errosion and gas changes over time and round counts. Part of me wants a KAC just to have one and be cool, but I agree that I actually overall prefer the benefits of the MRP. No I've never owned a KAC, but I could have and choose LMT. I use the enhanced bolt in one of my rifles, but being able to slap any old bolt in there was a plus in my book. Also using the LMT torque wrench, I found after removing the barrel and reinstalling it actually does return to zero very well, which not many other systems do well.
View Quote
That is true, LMT has made improvements over the standard mil-spec gas system that are beneficial to the gun. I was referring more to the KAC and their use of the castle nut for the gas block + proprietary intermediate length gas tube. The E3 bolt was a big improvement when KAC offered that. Helps fix a known and weak flaw in the AR design. But now that LMT offers their enhanced bolt, the need for KAC for the E3 bolt really dwindles imo. LMT enhanced bolt vs. KAC E3 is a wash. Then take the proprietary KAC gas system vs. LMT proprietary upper + quick change barrels, and I'd rather have the upgrade that LMT offers over the upgrade that the KAC offers. More real world improvement and benefit with that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is true, LMT has made improvements over the standard mil-spec gas system that are beneficial to the gun. I was referring more to the KAC and their use of the castle nut for the gas block + proprietary intermediate length gas tube. The E3 bolt was a big improvement when KAC offered that. Helps fix a known and weak flaw in the AR design. But now that LMT offers their enhanced bolt, the need for KAC for the E3 bolt really dwindles imo. LMT enhanced bolt vs. KAC E3 is a wash. Then take the proprietary KAC gas system vs. LMT proprietary upper + quick change barrels, and I'd rather have the upgrade that LMT offers over the upgrade that the KAC offers. More real world improvement and benefit with that.i 100
View Quote
I 100% agree
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Spot on.

It's ok if you prefer the Mod 2 over the MARS MLR/MLC w/ ECBG, but to say that it's better, or even more technological advanced is just wrong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
This! So many people riding kacs balls just because another guy says its best. People really should think objectively. Everyone's trying to make a better mouse trap. And there are many great ways to do so.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
You would have been perfectly fine with either option.  They're really different animals.  My choice would have been DD if weight was an issue and LMT if I wanted the QC barrel / monolithic construction.

As for your BCG ... BCM, Colt, DD, LMT will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a MARS and being right handed don't really see any benefit from it.  I don't use the controls since I only have one ambi AR and the rest are standard.  Muscle memory.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disagree.

Daniel Defense makes a quality product.  It just isn't innovative like the MRP/CQB/MWS system.  BCM, Colt (to a lesser degree), and DD make great standard config rifles while LMT's monolithic system is a completely different animal.  Of note is BCM and DD offer CHF while the LMT is cyro'd.  Personally I like the added insurance of CHF but have no issue with LMT barrels.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Since I thread hogged I thought I should add some spicy goodness.  This is my favorite rifle and one that I will never part with ....

Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I have both LMT and DD; however, I only have standard LMT standard 10.5” and 14.5” Carbine rifles. My Daniel Defense’s are both for my SBR’s in 10.3” barrels. The first DD 10.3” was very overgassed with my Silencerco SPECWAR suppressor, so much that it made both my eyes and nose water. I installed a Bootleg Tactical adjustable BCG and it REALLY tamed the gas in the eye, pretty much eliminated it. I know the first series DD barrels were very overgassed at .080 gas port opening. My second DD 10.3” is not overgassed at all, and is quite pleasant to shoot.

That being said, one of my go-to guns is my LMT 14.5” Carbine. It is a joy to shoot and extremely accurate for a standard rifle. That being said, I still want a MRP with LMT ambidextrous lower.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is true, LMT has made improvements over the standard mil-spec gas system that are beneficial to the gun. I was referring more to the KAC and their use of the castle nut for the gas block + proprietary intermediate length gas tube. The E3 bolt was a big improvement when KAC offered that. Helps fix a known and weak flaw in the AR design. But now that LMT offers their enhanced bolt, the need for KAC for the E3 bolt really dwindles imo. LMT enhanced bolt vs. KAC E3 is a wash. Then take the proprietary KAC gas system vs. LMT proprietary upper + quick change barrels, and I'd rather have the upgrade that LMT offers over the upgrade that the KAC offers. More real world improvement and benefit with that.
View Quote
An MRP with E3 barrel, bolt, & gas would be the pinnacle of the modern AR15 for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top