Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An MRP with E3 barrel, bolt, & gas would be the pinnacle of the modern AR15 for me.
View Quote
I’d think the LMT enhanced bolt is just as good as the KAC E3 bolt & has a much nicer finish.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since I thread hogged I thought I should add some spicy goodness.  This is my favorite rifle and one that I will never part with ....

https://i.ibb.co/4Fs79K7/IMG-2617.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/gy4mb1G/IMG-2615.jpg
View Quote
Very nice, that finish is super cool!
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Very nice, that finish is super cool!
View Quote
Thank you!  I haven’t seen another like it.  It’s my go to for all things 5.56.  I have others, but that is “the one” .
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a MARS and being right handed don't really see any benefit from it.  I don't use the controls since I only have one ambi AR and the rest are standard.  Muscle memory.
View Quote
To each their own. I have a MARS lower and I find it worth every penny for ambi controls.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To each their own. I have a MARS lower and I find it worth every penny for ambi controls.
View Quote
Absolutely.

After 35 years of using standard lowers ... I’m pretty set in my ways. If I was new to the design I could see going all MARS.  As it stands, for me, I just don’t want to get use to ambi controls and then have issues when I pick up 99.99% of the ARs in the world.

I recently switched back from Sig P-Series handguns to Beretta 92 Series.  Can’t tell you how many times I reached for a frame decoder that wasn’t there.  Muscle memory.

Definitely see the ambi design benefit tho.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
LMT.

But DD does make a nice upper that can probably be a little lighter than the LMT, So based on how high weight is on your list, that might not be a bad choice
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread is chock full of great info.

OP—you made the right choice.

DD has been so grossly overpriced since the 2016 election cycle it’s ridiculous. They have a great marketing team I will give them that. And they know how to sell rifles. (As a former retailer)

The lmt mrp system beats the pants off any Daniel I’ve ever handled or shot. The versatility and robustness of the mrp system beats the shit out of and other upper/handguard in the world.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking at an LMT upper as well, and a complete rifle. I'd definitely take it over a DD, but my only hang up is the straight gas block pins. Generally straight pins aren't as resilient as taper pins. I gotta wonder why they use them instead of taper pins, I realize they say it's for accuracy, but Colt barrels tend to be very accurate, especially the SOCOM profile barrels, and they have taper pinned gas blocks. Regarding their complete rifles, that they come with a carbine buffer and semi auto BCG also kinda turns me off.

...But nevertheless I'm still very tempted by the MRP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking at an LMT upper as well, and a complete rifle. I'd definitely take it over a DD, but my only hang up is the straight gas block pins. Generally straight pins aren't as resilient as taper pins. I gotta wonder why they use them instead of taper pins, I realize they say it's for accuracy, but Colt barrels tend to be very accurate, especially the SOCOM profile barrels, and they have taper pinned gas blocks. Regarding their complete rifles, that they come with a carbine buffer and semi auto BCG also kinda turns me off.

View Quote
I’ve been shooting my MRP rifles for awhile and rest assured, none of your turn offs have been an issue thus far.

If you get one you’ll like it. They just work, and work well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve never heard of a LMT gas  block pin working its way out.  They are mounted transverse of the recoil impulse making it exceedingly unlikely to walk.

I use Carbine buffers in almost all of my rifles.  Recoil impulse might be a little increased (in some overgassed guns ...  the LMTs I’ve used we’re not overgassed) but it makes the rifle more reliable with weak ammo.

I do prefer FA carriers.  My solution is to replace the BCG with a Colt FA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’ve been shooting my MRP rifles for awhile and rest assured, none of your turn offs have been an issue thus far.

If you get one you’ll like it. They just work, and work well.
View Quote
Agreed.

People are still referring to “the chart” which means LMT and KAC suck because the chart was built to promote Colt LE6920s.

Nothing wrong with the 6920, but simply not in the class as the LMT CQB/MRP.

ETA: I’m not poking the original commenter in the eye.  Those concerns were valid years ago when enterprising people started pointing out the difference between “hobby grade” and “duty / professional grade guns”.  It seems the items on the chart that really matter have been fleshed out now.  For example, in 3.5 decades of AR ownership I’ve yet to have a problem with guns that don’t park under the GB.  Do I want it? yes.  Necessary?  Not in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Daniel Defense makes extremely nice lightweight rifles (especially the LW and SLW models).  However, I do not like the plastic dust cover.

LMT CQB/MRP/MWS is a total departure from the “bolt on rail” approach. The design has strength, QC barrel, sight alignment durability (rail can’t rotate and if you manage to bend it ... the gun is probably deadlined), and simplicity in its favor.  It really is the best AR upper available if you don’t mind the weight.

DD for cost and LW.
MRP for all other.

BCM use to make extremely LW rifles too.  I have a pair of BCM BFH mid-length RECCE style guns with BCM installed DD rails (not the super weak BCM KMR garbage)  on the EE that weigh 6lb 5.875 ounces with rail cover and Troy front / rear sights.  My BCMs do not have the LW or ELW barrel profile...they have standard hammer forged profiles.  BCM stopped selling this model to promote their KMR crap.  Shame.

The BCM comment point ...

Weight is the MRP’s downfall.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its not 1965 and there are better ways of doing things
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
To make a long story short short, I had a 14.5 LMT Upper with a pinned Vortex Flash Hider.

It had a DD Quad Rail installed that was defective.

I sent it to DD under warranty and whoever tried to remove the pinned flash hider fucked up the barrel.

They replaced it with one of their own barrels; with one of their extended flash hiders.( 14.5 pinned etc)

It's essentially a DD Upper now; although the receiver is still LMT.

Since then, having shot both, IMO, they are both very  good quality.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
LMT MRP, and MWS barrels have their gas blocks press fit on by a machine.  The absolute most bomb proof method to date.

Take that pin out, and see if you can remove a gas block.....if you can, you're Iron Man.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have both and the DD is much more accurate.
View Quote
BOOM THIS

Most accurate of my all my uppers.
NVM
EDIT: saw that OP didn't want CHF barrel..  went with lmt
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm tempted to sell my Colt Python to fund an LMT MRP now...
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you check the EE, you can usually find a chassis and barrel for a decent price. I'm not a revolver guy so I would say go for it lol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not a collector (or revolver fan) so the Python wouldn't appeal to me, but if you like the Python just save up and buy the LMT.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Daniel Defense makes extremely nice lightweight rifles (especially the LW and SLW models).  However, I do not like the plastic dust cover.
View Quote
OCD problem solved https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/ejection-port-cover-parts/ejection-port-covers/ar-15-m16-ejection-port-cover-assembly-prod67570.aspx
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's ok if you prefer the Mod 2 over the MARS MLR/MLC w/ ECBG, but to say that it's better, or even more technological advanced is just wrong.
View Quote
Yup, its ok if guys like KAC or dream of owning one. They are good rifles. I would say the MARS-L MLR and MLC are just as nice and high end as a SR15 Mod 2. Both companies make great guns, just depends which flavor and preference one has. Personally I prefer all the innovation Karl Lewis has brought to the AR platform. He is a giant in the AR industry.

Quoted:

I’ve never heard of a LMT gas  block pin working its way out.  They are mounted transverse of the recoil impulse making it exceedingly unlikely to walk.
View Quote
Neither have I. Those LMT gas blocks are bombproof.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Blasphemy!

A DPMS part on a Daniel Defense upper?  We no need no stink'n DPMS parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I recently got a KAC and the only other rifle I considered was an LMT MLC Pistol. My top two companies right now (Triarc coming up fast).

One thing I dont like about the LMT's is the shorter rail (seems like it was designed for 10.3").  Is LMT only offering that one rail length in a MLOK monalithic upper?

I got a DD in 2015 and it was a total steal - now not so much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I recently got a KAC and the only other rifle I considered was an LMT MLC Pistol. My top two companies right now (Triarc coming up fast).

One thing I dont like about the LMT's is the shorter rail (seems like it was designed for 10.3").  Is LMT only offering that one rail length in a MLOK monalithic upper?

I got a DD in 2015 and it was a total steal - now not so much.
View Quote
Two lengths for the LMT uppers, MLR (rifle length) and MLC (carbine length).

Links to both:
MLC
MLR
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Blasphemy!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Blasphemy!

Touché

Though I just left the polymer DD dust cover on my DD rifle. Seemed appropriate to me. But I guess some people just can’t handle polymer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top