Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2022 8:23:27 AM EDT
All of my new rifles and builds for the last several years have been Mlok and I replaced a couple of my old pic rails with Mlok. I have no complaints with the rails I have as they are all high quality but the system itself is kind of a pain in the ass. I have often found myself longing for the simplicity, security and modularity of my old pic rails.

The recent stripped torx head on an Mlok screw was the last straw.

I’m probably not going to replace the ones I have but the new rails/uppers I buy will be good old fashioned uncool picatinny.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All of my new rifles and builds for the last several years have been Mlok and I replaced a couple of my old pic rails with Mlok. I have no complaints with the rails I have as they are all high quality but the system itself is kind of a pain in the ass. I have often found myself longing for the simplicity, security and modularity of my old pic rails.

The recent stripped torx head on an Mlok screw was the last straw.

I’m probably not going to replace the ones I have but the new rails/uppers I buy will be good old fashioned uncool picatinny.

View Quote

Ok. You have my permission.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve thought about it too.

Then I hold a quad rail.

And love Mlok all over again.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then I hold a quad rail.

View Quote

The best of both worlds would be full picatinny at 12 o'clock and picatinny for the front 3-4" at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock where you actually mount stuff and Mlok for slim diameter and comfort everywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The best of both worlds would be full picatinny at 12 o'clock and picatinny for the front 3-4" at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock where you actually mount stuff and Mlok for slim diameter and comfort everywhere else.
View Quote

Doesn't Geissele offer rails configured like that?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Geissele MK4 Mlok is exactly that. That's my only Mlok rail. Everything else is quad.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Just mount some picatinny sections where you need them on mlok. Good to go. Use picatinny accessories
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Geissele MK4 Mlok is exactly that. That's my only Mlok rail. Everything else is quad.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, SLR and Aero make similar models.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then I hold a quad rail.

View Quote

This, Never going back to a Pic rail.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Cmt
Geissle
Slr
Bootleg
Type a rifle co

There are more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, I knew people would eventually start to come around back to picatinny rails from MLOK.

Sure, an MLOK handguard is nice and slim to hold, but the MLOK mounting system for mounting accessories sucks big time compared to fixed picatinny rails. It's not as simple, it's not as secure and it's susceptible to user installation error, whereas fixed pic rails are solid and simple.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

you just described the PWS piclok rail
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#13]
MLOK works very well if you don’t play musical accessories.

The only MLOK screw I’ve had strip out was after I’d moved it around between rifles probably a dozen or more times.

If you’re someone who likes moving stuff around a lot, or if you’ve got certain accessories that you swap between rifles, I can see why picatinny would make more sense.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I too decided a quad rail was the way about a year or two ago.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#15]
For longer barrels I like the aesthetics of mlok. For short barrels quad is better looking.

I prefer quadrails regardless
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]
M-Lok: (noun) The dominant method for attaching pic rails to your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then I hold a quad rail.

View Quote

This. Picatinny is the stronger system, but MLOK is lighter and allows better control of the gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#18]
https://kineticdg.com/product-category/kinect/

An option for quick transfer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I have big hands. Much prefer quad rails with covers. Hate shooting my RAR cuz the fore-end of the stock is practically non existent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one rifle with a Keymod. I hate it and it looks like something Red Green would come up with!

I needed some Picatinny rail sections to mount a weapon light and it took me a while to find what I needed!

I could not find any quality rail sections, I had to settle for crap!
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's definitely an improvement over the standard method.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
There’s definitely a fastener quality issue in addition to the “more complexity than picatinny” and other notable issues brought up in this thread. Not everyone sources Magpul t-nuts and screws and there are in fact multiple custom or other screw applications used. In fact, KAC packaged their accessories with YFS screws for a time…junk - they strip fairly easily due to inconsistent head/drive sizes. KAC learned and now source Magpul hardware. Whatever supplier FCD gets their stuff from? I’ve cracked those t-nuts on occasion; the finishing is different from Magpul’s so I suspect perhaps bad heat treat from a subcontractor.

There’s a lot of possible factors. Your shitty Chinese bits or drivers, manufacturers including cheap/poorly QCed hardware, bad supplier production, etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had a lot of issues with Mlok screws....in fact I damaged a rail with the cheap screws on a Rail Scale, Rail Scale screws are pure junk and at $40 a rail, I would expect better...

I am 50/50 on Pic vs ML in my collection, and I prefer Pic rails....

Bronc
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish more mfg made "Bi Rails"

Picatinny at 12 and 6 o'clock, Mlok at 3 and 9 o'clock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There’s definitely a fastener quality issue in addition to the “more complexity than picatinny” and other notable issues brought up in this thread. Not everyone sources Magpul t-nuts and screws and there are in fact multiple custom or other screw applications used. In fact, KAC packaged their accessories with YFS screws for a time…junk - they strip fairly easily due to inconsistent head/drive sizes. KAC learned and now source Magpul hardware. Whatever supplier FCD gets their stuff from? I’ve cracked those t-nuts on occasion; the finishing is different from Magpul’s so I suspect perhaps bad heat treat from a subcontractor.

There’s a lot of possible factors. Your shitty Chinese bits or drivers, manufacturers including cheap/poorly QCed hardware, bad supplier production, etc.
View Quote

In my case, it was a Noveske Mlok accessory, with their screws and a Wiha bit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#26]
My hands must be massive

Quad rail feels best, dissipates heat better. Looks tough.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I like m-lok for the weight savings but I also like the pic rails at the ends of the rail muzzle/receiver ends.  But end of the day it really does not matter what I like if someone likes something else that is great you do you.  I do not setup my rifle for someone else or my car seat for someone else.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. Picatinny is the stronger system, but MLOK is lighter and allows better control of the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I hold a quad rail.

I guess everything is subjective.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
M1913 on the top, Arca-Swiss on the bottom.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I tend to agree with OP especially if you have some accessories that want to move often from a rifle to another… mlok can be frustrating…
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
MLOK is nice and slim, and at times too slim. I have run into issues with low profile gas blacks getting in the way of where I would prefer to put an attachment at the 6 o'clock position. I have also had issues with some MLOK attachments being supplied with screws that are too long and making contact with the barrel. The Geissele MK8 and MK4 rails I have are pretty good with having plenty of clearance for the MLOK hardware, but my BCM MCMR, CMT, and Geissele MK16 rails are much slimmer and require extra attention when mounting attachments. My RIS IIs and BCM QRFs are solid platforms for mounting all sorts of crap, so long as the attachments have a picatinny interface. I prefer the BCM quad over the RIS II due to its slightly smaller outer dimensions and lighter weight, not dogging on the RIS.  Quad rails let you put stuff wherever you want with no real internal dimension clearance issues, but I like them both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Forgot about this, I have one PWS rifle and the PIC-LOK rail is very nice

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quad rail + KAC covers is where its at
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In my case, it was a Noveske Mlok accessory, with their screws and a Wiha bit.
View Quote

Good bits, that’s what I use. I’ve noticed inconsistencies in screw head drive size that’s contributed to stripped screws.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I built all my ARs years ago before Mloc existed. My rails are all Daniel Defense RISll or lite rails other than one Spikes SAR3. I've never felt a need to replace them yet. Mloc always seemed like a downgrade for guys concerned with weight or small hands.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Nothing wrong with a good ole quad rail

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Is MLOK really that much more complex?  
Between direct attachment and rail sections, it seems very user friendly.

I buy nothing but Magpul MLOK sections...the only non-Magpul ones I have are the ones that come with Midwest Industries rails.   I have not had any problems with stripped screws.  
Biggest issue I have with MLOK is that sometimes the screws are longer than I would like, but it seems like Magpul ships multiple sizes, so I try to grab the shortest ones necessary (especially around the gas block on slim rails).

As others have said, best rails have full pic at 12:00, along with a bit of pic at the end of the rail at 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Keymod was a way better system

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I much prefer the aesthetics of a quad rail. I've never owned one. I don't think MLOK is any more difficult to attach things than picatinny, but I understand your point.

Quad rails will make a strong comeback eventually as the cycle continues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#40]
^ They already have on Reddit. A LOT BCM QRFs and RISIIs over there.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I built a handful of MLOK uppers last year but it seems the most lately assembled builds are 1913 or planned to be.

It's good to have options
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#42]
After working on MLOKs, my loyalty to Pic was confirmed. It looks better IMO and it's pretty much idiot-proof by design.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I generally agree, but with certain exceptions.  Picatinny will always be stronger because the attachment point is fixed.  But M-Lok may not be lighter.  That depends on configuration and design.

I like modular rails, generally preferring tube style (choose your type, M-Lok, KeyMod or proprietary) with a full top rail and mini rails only where needed for a simple weapon light and a QD bipod.  

But for a simple uber reluable HD carbine length setup there is a lot to be said for the Daniel Defense Omega.  Its quad.  Its free float.  Its drop in, retaining the Delta ring and front cap.  And, it weighs exactly the same as the plastic hand guards it replaces.  And its actually narrower.  With ladder rail covers its very comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I like pic rail. I don’t play musical accessories either but I like the resistance to heat on my mk18 during high round count days. Having my hand near the gas block doesn’t get as hot as fast as slim MLOK rails.

MLOK is definitely lighter though. Can’t get everything
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#45]
The weight and comfort of MLOK > pic all day
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Keymod was a way better system

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/knight-473.jpg
View Quote

According to this study

soccom

Your wrong
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's pretty slick
Price though. Durability?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I say both.  I love my MLOKs, but I also love my Quads.

But (and of course the scenario sounds silly), if a situation like Ukraine popped off here, and I was going to have to pick a rifle that I'd take with me to go off and fight for a year, I would pick one of my quad rail rifles.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quads for life been rocking them since 2007 or so.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I heart quad rails.  I do have Keymod and Mlok as well though.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top